*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Otters Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan11 View Post
Crisp and Cairns won't be back for sure.
Why do you think that? Have you heard they want to be traded or something?

Old
04-05-2013, 01:59 PM
BramptonFan09

It just makes sense. To get something good you have to give up something good, it's plain and simple. Think of the forwards on the team that are worth anything: crisp, cairns, fox, Mcdavid, (strome*), Harper who could you get the most for without giving up too much it old be crisp or cairns or both. No one wants to give up a high end dman for chap they are the most important players outside of a goalie. To get a good dman and depth forwards il will cost a lot! And not just picks.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Otters Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramptonFan09 View Post
It just makes sense. To get something good you have to give up something good, it's plain and simple. Think of the forwards on the team that are worth anything: crisp, cairns, fox, Mcdavid, (strome*), Harper who could you get the most for without giving up too much it old be crisp or cairns or both. No one wants to give up a high end dman for chap they are the most important players outside of a goalie. To get a good dman and depth forwards il will cost a lot! And not just picks.
I understand all that,but he said they won't be back for sure. And my question was how does he know that.
As Ohlfan has stated the best forward to trade for a defenseman is Harper. You could get the most return for him. I have no problem trading Harper if we can get a top of the line defenseman for him

Old
04-06-2013, 12:56 PM
KnightSpit

STROME A Great Pick For ERIE !!!

Wow !

Erie makes a great pick but really a no brainer taking Strome. At 6 ft plus and still growing the kid should do well. Apparently I heard on the Knights board, that the Otters went after Werenski (London's 2nd pick) a few years ago and he did not want to report to Erie, anyone know about that, cause from all accounts this Little Ceasers Stud on D, is the real deal and if he shows up in London watch out.

As for the Knights first pick Marner, at only 5.7 130 lbs, any chance you guys would take him off the Knights hands for Stephen Harper in a trade ?

Also, do you guys know when and where your Mini Camp is, if not in Erie and if close to London, would be nice to see that Strome in action with McDavid.

Old
04-06-2013, 01:03 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Wow !

Erie makes a great pick but really a no brainer taking Strome. At 6 ft plus and still growing the kid should do well. Apparently I heard on the Knights board, that the Otters went after Werenski (London's 2nd pick) a few years ago and he did not want to report to Erie, anyone know about that, cause from all accounts this Little Ceasers Stud on D, is the real deal and if he shows up in London watch out.

As for the Knights first pick Marner, at only 5.7 130 lbs, any chance you guys would take him off the Knights hands for Stephen Harper in a trade ?

Also, do you guys know when and where your Mini Camp is, if not in Erie and if close to London, would be nice to see that Strome in action with McDavid.
Erie tried getting Werenski earlier this season. They talked to him throughout the year but he chose the US-NTDP. He could still commit to London after two seasons but that is to far in advance to know at this time.
I would not trade Marner for Harper, Marner has skill that is for sure but his size is a big question. Erie needs to trade a winger for d-men that can step in and play now so it just does not seem to be the right trade for them.

Old
04-06-2013, 01:15 PM
KnightSpit

2013 Draft Picks and Mini Camps

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
Erie tried getting Werenski earlier this season. They talked to him throughout the year but he chose the US-NTDP. He could still commit to London after two seasons but that is to far in advance to know at this time.
I would not trade Marner for Harper, Marner has skill that is for sure but his size is a big question. Erie needs to trade a winger for d-men that can step in and play now so it just does not seem to be the right trade for them.
OHL Fan
Thanks for the info. I hear you about Marner loud and clear on the size issue. As for Werenski going the US-NTDP, you gotta wonder how many other players are going to start doing the same. I think the "O" is gonna find it much harder each and every year. Let us know when Erie has their Mini Camp, my guess is LONDON will not have theirs, until well after The Knights win The Memorial Cup !!!

Old
04-06-2013, 01:35 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Strome that the otters took in the 1st round any relations to Ryan...

Old
04-06-2013, 02:06 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonOHL View Post
Strome that the otters took in the 1st round any relations to Ryan...
Yes it is Ryan's brother. Dylan is a great player as well. He trains with Ryan some of the Islanders (Tavares being one). Dylan is a tremendous player, could use some improving on his feet and first few strides to reach his top speed though. Everything else he does is fantastic. I think he has potential to be better than Ryan.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Wow !

If the renovation to Erie Insurance Arena are done on time they'll hold their camp in town, but I really don't know.

Old
04-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Otters Fan

Anyone know any thing about our 2nd round pick Jesse Saban? I know he's a big defenseman 6'3 205....I couldn't find alot on him.
Everything ive read about Cole Mayo says hes pretty good defenseman.

Old
04-06-2013, 03:51 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters Fan View Post
Anyone know any thing about our 2nd round pick Jesse Saban? I know he's a big defenseman 6'3 205....I couldn't find alot on him.
Everything ive read about Cole Mayo says hes pretty good defenseman.
What I have found out about him and from Mapleleaf979 is that he skates well for his size. He can rush the puck up and makes a good first pass. He can in the future run the point on the PP. His one big concern is his compete level. Some games he was outstanding and others he was not nearly as impressive. Sounds like he has the potential to make the team and be a great player in the league. The compete level is what worries me a bit though.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Otters Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
What I have found out about him and from Mapleleaf979 is that he skates well for his size. He can rush the puck up and makes a good first pass. He can in the future run the point on the PP. His one big concern is his compete level. Some games he was outstanding and others he was not nearly as impressive. Sounds like he has the potential to make the team and be a great player in the league. The compete level is what worries me a bit though.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Thats huge for Erie if he can play alot for us. Maybe we will get lucky and Mayo makes the team for us also. Ive heard he is a pretty good defenseman as well,real good on the powerplay.
By the way did you see we drafted Danes little brother Trent? I heard he has a ton of skills,but has been known not to show up every game as well. If he makes the team maybe playing with his brother will show him how to compete 100% every shift.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:46 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply.
Thats huge for Erie if he can play alot for us. Maybe we will get lucky and Mayo makes the team for us also. Ive heard he is a pretty good defenseman as well,real good on the powerplay.
By the way did you see we drafted Danes little brother Trent? I heard he has a ton of skills,but has been known not to show up every game as well. If he makes the team maybe playing with his brother will show him how to compete 100% every shift.
I heard the same thing about Trent. He has good size and puck skills. He is a strong kid, makes good passes, and good decisions offensively. I heard before the draft he had some compete level/attitude problems. There is always more to the story though and I do not know any specifics. I think if that gets turned around he could end up being steal in the fifth. I know that he really wants to play with Dane next season. Seeing that it is Dane's final season and there are few spots he may be hard pressed to make the team. I think if he puts in the hard work it will pay off and he could get a shot on the fourth line.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:17 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Being new to OHL, learning as much as I can since i dont have a OHL team in my town but trying to follow otters as much as i can.. With the OHL draft finishing today my next season is... I know the Import draft where the CHL teams from all 3 leagues draft players 2 rounds each from europe.

My question is do CHL teams actually send their scouts to go to europe to scout players for the import drafts every yr. Also now that strome and the rest have been drafted, whats next? do they have a rookie camp in the summer? and then pretty much train all summer until camp begins what beginning of sept or end of august... Camp usually lasts what 5 days before they break off for pre-season games

Old
04-07-2013, 12:07 AM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonOHL View Post
Being new to OHL, learning as much as I can since i dont have a OHL team in my town but trying to follow otters as much as i can.. With the OHL draft finishing today my next season is... I know the Import draft where the CHL teams from all 3 leagues draft players 2 rounds each from europe.

My question is do CHL teams actually send their scouts to go to europe to scout players for the import drafts every yr. Also now that strome and the rest have been drafted, whats next? do they have a rookie camp in the summer? and then pretty much train all summer until camp begins what beginning of sept or end of august... Camp usually lasts what 5 days before they break off for pre-season games
Yes teams do send their scouts over seas. Some of the teams have better scouting and can spend more money on this, which can give them a rather large advantage in landing top Europeans and Russians every year. The CHL import draft is sort of a staged draft. By that I mean teams know who they are drafting and the pick number does not always matter. A winning team like London can land top prospects with a pick in the late 30's as where a less successful team might not be able to do that with a top 10 pick.
Yes teams have a rookie camp. I am not sure when Erie's camp is but look for it to be near the middle/end of may. Then they train during the summer and report to training camp which is end of August/September each year. They always play a handful of pre-season games as well.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:37 PM
SDRFAOBFH1

Erie has overseas scouts, we don't need them we have Bassin. Euro's for the Otters as of late are a complete bust, current players included...thanks Bassin.

Start drafting and using North American players instead of looking for a quick Euro fix. You want the BEST players from N/America to build a solid team around and to be competitive

Old
04-07-2013, 12:50 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRFAOBFH1 View Post
Erie has overseas scouts, we don't need them we have Bassin. Euro's for the Otters as of late are a complete bust, current players included...thanks Bassin.

Start drafting and using North American players instead of looking for a quick Euro fix. You want the BEST players from N/America to build a solid team around and to be competitive
I would not say that they all have been busts recently. Dansk is not a bust, put a team that can play defense in front of him and he will be a top 5 goalie in this league. Ramis Sadikov was no all-star but he played well for the most part. Janus was probably their best goalie in the last 10 years he was far from a bust. Erie does well with goalies but struggle with other positions.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Otters Fan

Some of the best players in this league are from over seas. It plays a huge part in the league.
So what does everyone think looking forward for our lines next season?
I'm thinking this
Strome-McDavid-Crisp
Fox-Cairns-Brown
Evans-Pedit-Hodgson

Pelech-Hopefully top end guy we trade Harper and maybe Betz for
McDowell-Import Defenseman
Raddash-Saban-Mayo or Felkner or Abraham
I would like to see them trade Harper and or Betz plus picks. I think we have plenty of forward depth to lose them and trade to get a top end defenseman.
Thoughts?

Old
04-07-2013, 07:58 PM
dharry
Rookie User

I think that would be a mistake. Two sixteen year olds and a guy who has played what equates to just over one season in the league on the first line? McDavid is exceptional no doubt, but this has a lot of questions. This is a 19/20 year old league...and who is the fourth line - successful teams have a fourth line that can compete, and there is now no one else. One of the problems that the team has had the past two years is that it has been too young. Also I hope it happens but for people to expect Dylan comes in and gets the same level of production as Connor McDavid....sorry those rare under aged players who get 40 points are considered extremely successfful, and that is normally playing with 19/20 year olds.

This team has no easy solutions. Ideally i would like tomsee how some of the younger guys mature. the team's going to need to trade some offensive assets to get defence, which even with McDavid is going to make them thinner than they'd would like to be up front. They are going to need to over pay for the top four defence man, because everyone in the league now knows how badly they need one.

I don't know the answer, but its not getting younger. Tough decisions to be made. Getting a topD in the import draft is a must.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:21 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Some of the best players in this league are from over seas. It plays a huge part in the league.
So what does everyone think looking forward for our lines next season?
I'm thinking this
Strome-McDavid-Crisp
Fox-Cairns-Brown
Evans-Pedit-Hodgson

Pelech-Hopefully top end guy we trade Harper and maybe Betz for
McDowell-Import Defenseman
Raddash-Saban-Mayo or Felkner or Abraham
I would like to see them trade Harper and or Betz plus picks. I think we have plenty of forward depth to lose them and trade to get a top end defenseman.
Thoughts?
I like most of your line up. I think trading Betz would be a mistake though only because I do not feel they would get a fair return. This is what I sort of envision

Fox-McDavid-Crisp
Brown-Cairns-player from trade
Hodgson-Pettit-Betz
Strome-Evans-Wigle

Pelech-Import
Player from trade-McDowell
Raddysh- Abraham/Kuzmyk/Felker/Saban

To Erie a top four 96 d-man. Erie trades Stephen Harper and a 2014 2nd round.

The other 2nd line forward would be a trade of one of the extra OA's, Patrick Murphy, Donnay, Wood, and a 2015 2nd round pick. Not necessarily all these players but this is who I think could be moved. This would bring in a 95 born forward that can score. I am thinking a proven 50 point guy some one like a Baptiste from Sudbury.

I think this team above would definitely be competitive every night. I like to Strome to start on the 4th line and move him up as the year goes on. I am not sure he is ready right now to be a top line player. Eventually he will be a beast but not quite yet.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:24 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharry View Post
I think that would be a mistake. Two sixteen year olds and a guy who has played what equates to just over one season in the league on the first line? McDavid is exceptional no doubt, but this has a lot of questions. This is a 19/20 year old league...and who is the fourth line - successful teams have a fourth line that can compete, and there is now no one else. One of the problems that the team has had the past two years is that it has been too young. Also I hope it happens but for people to expect Dylan comes in and gets the same level of production as Connor McDavid....sorry those rare under aged players who get 40 points are considered extremely successfful, and that is normally playing with 19/20 year olds.

This team has no easy solutions. Ideally i would like tomsee how some of the younger guys mature. the team's going to need to trade some offensive assets to get defence, which even with McDavid is going to make them thinner than they'd would like to be up front. They are going to need to over pay for the top four defence man, because everyone in the league now knows how badly they need one. Erie lacks talent.

I don't know the answer, but its not getting younger. Tough decisions to be made. Getting a topD in the import draft is a must.
Look at Kingston. Bennett and Watson as rookies were major trouble for other teams. Strome is a pretty special player. Might have the second best talent on Erie next year. He can score when his team needs it or be a playmaker. The way Strome elevates his line-mates is one quality he and MCdavid share. Putting them as #1 and #2 centers should bode well for the future as long as they can pick up a few wingers. Maybe Strome starts out on Mcdavids's wing to get accustomed to the OHL.

Id target a few 96 defenseman. I wonder if London would part with Centorame? Centorame in my eyes would be able to impact the Otters as much or more than Saban this year. He is a defense first guy. He is a punishing hitter and capable in his own end. Kid can skate too. The 96 Rebels had the best Dcore a few years ago, some got lost in the mix. Jenkins and Desrocher from that team are also excelling.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 04-07-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old
04-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Otters Fan

Will Strome be as good as McDavid was this season? No my guess is he won't be,but he will be a good player. If he plays with McDavid on the same line it will only make him that much better. I think McDavid will explode next season. My guess is he will be top five in points.
For the fourth line you still have guys like
Wood and Wigle maybe Lavatto or some other draft pick from a prior season or this draft.
That fourth line is usally high energy guys anyways
This team is young as you stated,but they are all a year older. No one thought anything of Connor Brown two seasons ago and he did pretty good his first season in the league,
Im not worried about our forwards, i think it all comes down to what we are able to do with getting defenseman in the import draft and through trades and Saban-Mayo-Murphy making an impact.

Old
04-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Ottersfan1

Quote:
Wow !

Minicamp will be in Erie the first weekend in May.

Old
04-08-2013, 07:48 AM
BramptonFan09

Quote:
Will Strome be as good as McDavid was this season? No my guess is he won't be,but he will be a good player. If he plays with McDavid on the same line it will only make him that much better. I think McDavid will explode next season. My guess is he will be top five in points.
For the fourth line you still have guys like
Wood and Wigle maybe Lavatto or some other draft pick from a prior season or this draft.
That fourth line is usally high energy guys anyways
This team is young as you stated,but they are all a year older. No one thought anything of Connor Brown two seasons ago and he did pretty good his first season in the league,
Im not worried about our forwards, i think it all comes down to what we are able to do with getting defenseman in the import draft and through trades and Saban-Mayo-Murphy making an impact.
I agree scoring goals will not be the problem. Coach needs to impact a high discipline defense first system or you sit. the offense will take care of itself, there is no question. I dont really know what the defense core will look like next season, but a team that is making a run for a championship WILL NOT have two 16 year old defenseman (Mayo, Saban) Saban will be there and Mayo most likely will not. A player of his skill set needs a year to develop unless they are exceptional. Playing defines at this level is a whoe new animal. They will add another D via trade and a top 10 Euro pick defenseman. I will say in all honesty Felker will be in tough for a spot on this team, Raddysh out played him and Felker will basically be a rookie again this year with only playing 18 games or so. A winning team has an experianced defense core, a young defenseman takes alot more time to mature than a young forward. Bass has to go with proven veterans.

Pelech - (Euro)

McDowell - (Trade)

Saban - Abraham (different OA pending)

Raddysh

As for the last pair it is still up in the air. Felker, Raddysh, Donnay, Abraham could all be moved. Honestly if they can add a Euro Stud and get a real good dman via trade they shouldnt have to add anyone for a third pair. Third pair is bassically playing only against 3/4th line. I could see them keeping Raddysh and Abraham (if they dont trade for an OA) trade donnay and felker. I could see them putting a young guy like Saban or Raddysh with Abraham on the third pair. to me that would be a well round core.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Styx and Stones

Ottersfan11,

Is that first weekend in May official or are you speculating based on previous years?

Thanks

Closed Thread