Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2013, 09:04 PM
ottergolfer

vCash: 500
i look for either crisp or cairns to be the trade bait .Maybe Evans

I think Lattavo will fill out and come to camp more prepared than a lot of the vets.
I see him earning a roster spot

judging by the work ethic by most of the vets on the team last year, a lot of the hungry rookies will battle them hard and come out with spots .

Raddysh -Pettit were to of the best at the end.
if betz would play to his size i would sye he could be a keeper if not he is toast.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Ottersfan1

No announcement has been made publically to my knowledge but that's when it will be

Old
04-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Ottersfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergolfer View Post
i look for either crisp or cairns to be the trade bait .Maybe Evans

I think Lattavo will fill out and come to camp more prepared than a lot of the vets.
I see him earning a roster spot

judging by the work ethic by most of the vets on the team last year, a lot of the hungry rookies will battle them hard and come out with spots .

Raddysh -Pettit were to of the best at the end.
if betz would play to his size i would sye he could be a keeper if not he is toast.
I agree, Crisp and Cairns for sure. Harper wouldn't shock me. Doubt Evans will be moved.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:42 PM
KnightSpit

Erie Trades to either London or Windsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
I like most of your line up. I think trading Betz would be a mistake though only because I do not feel they would get a fair return. This is what I sort of envision

Fox-McDavid-Crisp
Brown-Cairns-player from trade
Hodgson-Pettit-Betz
Strome-Evans-Wigle

Pelech-Import
Player from trade-McDowell
Raddysh- Abraham/Kuzmyk/Felker/Saban

To Erie a top four 96 d-man. Erie trades Stephen Harper and a 2014 2nd round.

The other 2nd line forward would be a trade of one of the extra OA's, Patrick Murphy, Donnay, Wood, and a 2015 2nd round pick. Not necessarily all these players but this is who I think could be moved. This would bring in a 95 born forward that can score. I am thinking a proven 50 point guy some one like a Baptiste from Sudbury.

I think this team above would definitely be competitive every night. I like to Strome to start on the 4th line and move him up as the year goes on. I am not sure he is ready right now to be a top line player. Eventually he will be a beast but not quite yet.
OHLFan
Please, please let London take Murphy off your hands in a trade. I checked the kids stats on the Junior team and as a D Patrick Murphy once again as a Defenceman, not a forward the kid had a spectacular 36 points in only 42 games as a D. Why he is not a regular with you guys?, well please pass the crack pipe LOL !!! and while you are at it, if you guys have also given up on Felker as some have on this board. I mean you gotta give that Felker kid a chance, he has the tools but throw him to the Knights as well.

London will give you a couple of good picks for the 2014 draft for both Felker and Murphy I heard from a London guru that apprantely Murphy played at some point with both Horvat and Domi for a couple of years in minor hockey, so the fit would be good.

As for a deal from Windsor how about this ?

To Erie Ho-Sang (back with McDavid) to Windsor Harper and Murphy

Old
04-09-2013, 12:44 PM
KnightSpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharry View Post
I think that would be a mistake. Two sixteen year olds and a guy who has played what equates to just over one season in the league on the first line? McDavid is exceptional no doubt, but this has a lot of questions. This is a 19/20 year old league...and who is the fourth line - successful teams have a fourth line that can compete, and there is now no one else. One of the problems that the team has had the past two years is that it has been too young. Also I hope it happens but for people to expect Dylan comes in and gets the same level of production as Connor McDavid....sorry those rare under aged players who get 40 points are considered extremely successfful, and that is normally playing with 19/20 year olds.

This team has no easy solutions. Ideally i would like tomsee how some of the younger guys mature. the team's going to need to trade some offensive assets to get defence, which even with McDavid is going to make them thinner than they'd would like to be up front. They are going to need to over pay for the top four defence man, because everyone in the league now knows how badly they need one.

I don't know the answer, but its not getting younger. Tough decisions to be made. Getting a topD in the import draft is a must.
DHarry
No kidding just what the Otters need more youth and in experience, That is why their record was so great the last two years. People do not understand this game and do not realized most 16 year old players no matter how good, unless like McDavid or Eckblad can rarely make a big difference in the first year

Old
04-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
OHLFan
Please, please let London take Murphy off your hands in a trade. I checked the kids stats on the Junior team and as a D Patrick Murphy once again as a Defenceman, not a forward the kid had a spectacular 36 points in only 42 games as a D. Why he is not a regular with you guys?, well please pass the crack pipe LOL !!! and while you are at it, if you guys have also given up on Felker as some have on this board. I mean you gotta give that Felker kid a chance, he has the tools but throw him to the Knights as well.

London will give you a couple of good picks for the 2014 draft for both Felker and Murphy I heard from a London guru that apprantely Murphy played at some point with both Horvat and Domi for a couple of years in minor hockey, so the fit would be good.

Harper has low, low value in the league. Why would Windsor trade a 96 who's out performing a 95, especially when the 96 has a higher long term ceiling.

Also, Murphy was made available to everyone up until the trade deadline, Points, let alone points in Jr B, is an extremely hard way to judge a defenceman.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Yes it is Ryan's brother. Dylan is a great player as well. He trains with Ryan some of the Islanders (Tavares being one). Dylan is a tremendous player, could use some improving on his feet and first few strides to reach his top speed though. Everything else he does is fantastic. I think he has potential to be better than Ryan.
His feet will be fine as he trains at ATC in Mississauga. John Tavares has made huge strides re that very issue.

You don't train at ATC and get away with anything other than working your b^&lls off.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:14 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
OHLFan

I agree with the other posters in that Windsor would never accept that trade. If they would then Erie will do that in a heart beat. Murphy's number are good offensively but in the games I have watched him play he was a defensive liability. NO doubt he can be a great player in this league but he has some work to do though.

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 04-10-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old
04-09-2013, 02:15 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan11 View Post
I agree, Crisp and Cairns for sure. Harper wouldn't shock me. Doubt Evans will be moved.
What makes you so sure Crisp and Cairns will both be moved? I agree that a forward will be moved and likely it will be one of them or Harper but you seem confident it will be both of them.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:18 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
His feet will be fine as he trains at ATC in Mississauga. John Tavares has made huge strides re that very issue.

You don't train at ATC and get away with anything other than working your b^&lls off.
That is good to hear. I think Strome has the most potential out of all the forwards just previously drafted. He has all the tools and talent to be a top NHL pick as well. I think he made a little adjustment time which is usually the case with rookies but his play will increase significantly as the season goes on. I can't wait to see a PP with him and McDavid.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Ottersfan1

Quote:
What makes you so sure Crisp and Cairns will both be moved? I agree that a forward will be moved and likely it will be one of them or Harper but you seem confident it will be both of them.
Been told. Neither one gave 100% on the ice. Crisp has a bad attitude and is a problem in the locker room. Harper is talented but also has an attitude problem and only plays when he wants to. But I'm sure you knew that.

Old
04-09-2013, 04:05 PM
defensehockey19

Can Harper play Centre?...

Trade offer for Erie Fans..

Varga, 2nd, 3rd to Erie.

Harper to Peterborough.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:43 PM
KnightSpit

Erie D and Trades, Liability on D Plus Minus and Points

Quote:
I agree with the other posters in that Windsor would never accept that trade. If they would then Erie will do that in a heart beat. Murphy's number are good offensively but in the games I have watched him play he was a defensive liability. NO doubt he can be a great player in this league but he has some work to do though.
OHLFan I gotta say you are one of the more knowledgeable posters on these boards and seem to have lots of good credible information, but I am just not getting something on the Erie D from you.

The Eire D this year was absolutely terrible, yet at the trade Deadline you bring in a guy from Sarnia Kuzmyk (sic) who in a career 230 Games Played in the OHL is a MINUS 54 career total and has a grand total of 2 goals and 26 assists in a whopping 230 games.

How is that going to help you on D or with points ? Your first round KHL Stud on D, Kulishov played 50 games, had 4 assists and is a MINUS 17. Donnay who has a career 143 games in the OHL has 2 goals and a whopping 15 assists and is a MINUS 65.

Murphy 16 Games played in the OHL, 4 assists and a Minus 5
Felker 17 Games played in the OHL, 2 assists and a Minus 4

So please trade both Murphy and Felker to Either and we will send you a couple of draft picks. If I am wrong on those numbers please let me know, but I got them off the OHL official stat site. I think London or Windsor getting those two D, for some picks would be a steal !!!!!

Also if you can verify that Mini Camp date and let us know how it goes. Windsor does not have theirs until May 31st.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:09 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
OHLFan I gotta say you are one of the more knowledgeable posters on these boards and seem to have lots of good credible information, but I am just not getting something on the Erie D from you.

The Eire D this year was absolutely terrible, yet at the trade Deadline you bring in a guy from Sarnia Kuzmyk (sic) who in a career 230 Games Played in the OHL is a MINUS 54 career total and has a grand total of 2 goals and 26 assists in a whopping 230 games.

How is that going to help you on D or with points ? Your first round KHL Stud on D, Kulishov played 50 games, had 4 assists and is a MINUS 17. Donnay who has a career 143 games in the OHL has 2 goals and a whopping 15 assists and is a MINUS 65.

Murphy 16 Games played in the OHL, 4 assists and a Minus 5
Felker 17 Games played in the OHL, 2 assists and a Minus 4

So please trade both Murphy and Felker to Either and we will send you a couple of draft picks. If I am wrong on those numbers please let me know, but I got them off the OHL official stat site. I think London or Windsor getting those two D, for some picks would be a steal !!!!!

Also if you can verify that Mini Camp date and let us know how it goes. Windsor does not have theirs until May 31st.
Thank you for the kind words. I'm nothing more than a fan who just follows the team closely though. Well part of those stats have to do with the ice time they have received compared to the rest of the d-man. Felker did play well for being a rookie but saw 3rd pairing minutes and was injured most of the year. Murphy played seven games but I would say about five of them were at forward this season and not defense. From what I saw his defensive game is not as good as some think it is, offensively he is talented but he has to work on his defensive game.

As far as Kuzmyk no this past season he will not help the team tremendously. I think the reason he was brought here is because Bobby Orr is his agent along with McDavid, Harper and one other player. Kuzmyk would be a good 5th-6th kind of player but not top four. Same can be said about Abraham.

When you question the teams decisions look no further than who the owner/GM is. It is Sherry Bassin and while at won time he was considered the best, it is clear the game has passed him bye over the last 10 years. He is in his mid 70's after all. This team with the current players is missing three impact players, two d-man and one forward. If they get these players then I think this team will compete every night. They need two top four d-man and also need one top six forward.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:16 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan11 View Post
Been told. Neither one gave 100% on the ice. Crisp has a bad attitude and is a problem in the locker room. Harper is talented but also has an attitude problem and only plays when he wants to. But I'm sure you knew that.
Yeah I can see that. For Crisp and Cairns some games they were tremendous but then they would go three or four where you would not notice them. I think both of them with a good hard working off season and 100% commitment could be point per game players. I agree they all seem to have commitment issues which a few players like that can ruin a season for a team. Winning teams do not take any nights off, you can not teach attitude as the old saying goes. It also has high chance to negatively impact the rookies. This started with Torquato years ago if you watched the games back then.

Harper's game this year to regressed since his 16 year old season. Maybe it was a sophomore slump but his performance declined and it was certainly noticeable.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:17 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Can Harper play Centre?...

Trade offer for Erie Fans..

Varga, 2nd, 3rd to Erie.

Harper to Peterborough.
Harper has never played center here so I would say no he probably can not. I think the wing best suits him.

Old
04-13-2013, 03:56 PM
KnightSpit

Trades To London From Erie

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words. I'm nothing more than a fan who just follows the team closely though. Well part of those stats have to do with the ice time they have received compared to the rest of the d-man. Felker did play well for being a rookie but saw 3rd pairing minutes and was injured most of the year. Murphy played seven games but I would say about five of them were at forward this season and not defense. From what I saw his defensive game is not as good as some think it is, offensively he is talented but he has to work on his defensive game.

As far as Kuzmyk no this past season he will not help the team tremendously. I think the reason he was brought here is because Bobby Orr is his agent along with McDavid, Harper and one other player. Kuzmyk would be a good 5th-6th kind of player but not top four. Same can be said about Abraham.

When you question the teams decisions look no further than who the owner/GM is. It is Sherry Bassin and while at won time he was considered the best, it is clear the game has passed him bye over the last 10 years. He is in his mid 70's after all. This team with the current players is missing three impact players, two d-man and one forward. If they get these players then I think this team will compete every night. They need two top four d-man and also need one top six forward.
OHLfan
Yeah about Kuzmyk how a guy with those stats, lack of any real points and Plus Minus career over 50 Minus in 200 games is gonna help you, well I also here that Jimmy Hoffa is buried under Eire Insurance Arena and while you guys are doing your renovations, he will be found.

London next year has some serious over age issues espaically on D and as if stands today the Knights have a total of 5 D who are either 1992 or 1993. Like I said throw us Murphy and Felker for a couple of picks and the deal is done. As for Murphy with those offensive numbers we will not care if he gets "beaten like a rented mule " (thanks Mike Lang) cause even if he gets have of those points he got in Junior, those numbers are still tops in the O and Felker probably has a good offensive upside as well.

Let us know when the deal is done and while your Mini -Camp is going on we will be preparing for the Memorial Cup. Also will take Stephan Harper as well anytime !

Old
04-13-2013, 05:56 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
OHLfan
Yeah about Kuzmyk how a guy with those stats, lack of any real points and Plus Minus career over 50 Minus in 200 games is gonna help you, well I also here that Jimmy Hoffa is buried under Eire Insurance Arena and while you guys are doing your renovations, he will be found.

London next year has some serious over age issues espaically on D and as if stands today the Knights have a total of 5 D who are either 1992 or 1993. Like I said throw us Murphy and Felker for a couple of picks and the deal is done. As for Murphy with those offensive numbers we will not care if he gets "beaten like a rented mule " (thanks Mike Lang) cause even if he gets have of those points he got in Junior, those numbers are still tops in the O and Felker probably has a good offensive upside as well.

Let us know when the deal is done and while your Mini -Camp is going on we will be preparing for the Memorial Cup. Also will take Stephan Harper as well anytime !
You cant be serious? Erie isnt going to just throw their talent at you for free. Erie wants to win well McDavid is still an Otter. Which means they will need Harper and Murphy/Felker. Would have a better chance getting them o move Fox/Cairns/Crisp/Abraham

Old
04-13-2013, 11:58 PM
ottergolfer

better win it all this year !! The times reports Sunday Bass is looking to sell and when you read between the lines, he is Looking for the deal that keeps him as G M for a year or more. Seems he will show no loyalty to the E I A . or saddle new owner with a long term lease ....

Old
04-14-2013, 12:54 AM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
@knightspit

As a Knights fan, I don't get where you get the idea that we'll trade away for an offensive guy like Murphy. While we've had some scoring defenceman in the past, they have to be solid in our own zone for us to take them on in the first place. No way will we trade our draft picks away for an unproven player who doesn't really fit our style anyways. Especially since London is so good at convincing players to report and play for us. Also no way will we be trading our captain, not in a million years. I don't think the Penguins will be movin him next year anyways, but even if it was likely we wouldn't do it. He's like, our captain, man.

The Hunters tend to build backend first, while our forwards seem to be underestimated and over producing (minus the genuine stars we get).

Old
04-15-2013, 04:53 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
OHLfan

The Otters rookie camp is the beginning of May, the 3rd and 4th to be exact. Erie may trade some of those players but I doubt it is for draft picks. Erie needs to win now and the picks will not help with that. As long as Felker makes a 100% recovery he looked to be a solid player in this league. I think it is more likely that Erie will deal either Harper, Crisp, or Cairns. It will be tough to see them go but the team needs defensive help badly. If Murphy is not in the plans he should be traded as well. I do not expect a monster return but a trade with him, one of the players mentioned above, and a 2nd rounder should easily bring a top 4 d-man in return.

Old
04-15-2013, 06:08 PM
mapleleaf979

*delete

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 04-16-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old
04-17-2013, 12:15 PM
KnightSpit

Knights Fan and Trades and D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelanstorm View Post
@knightspit

As a Knights fan, I don't get where you get the idea that we'll trade away for an offensive guy like Murphy. While we've had some scoring defenceman in the past, they have to be solid in our own zone for us to take them on in the first place. No way will we trade our draft picks away for an unproven player who doesn't really fit our style anyways. Especially since London is so good at convincing players to report and play for us. Also no way will we be trading our captain, not in a million years. I don't think the Penguins will be movin him next year anyways, but even if it was likely we wouldn't do it. He's like, our captain, man.

The Hunters tend to build backend first, while our forwards seem to be underestimated and over producing (minus the genuine stars we get).
I get your points, however I was just trying to look at the 5 players most of them D who will be overage and / or gone. You are also so right, LONDON does not have to convince anyone to go there. Have you ever heard of any player saying "NO" to the Knights. In fact some players would rather be drafted lower than higher if it meant they could go to London. By the way Knights over Plymouth in 6.

Old
04-17-2013, 12:22 PM
KnightSpit

More Trade Ideas London, Erie and Windsor

Quote:
The Otters rookie camp is the beginning of May, the 3rd and 4th to be exact. Erie may trade some of those players but I doubt it is for draft picks. Erie needs to win now and the picks will not help with that. As long as Felker makes a 100% recovery he looked to be a solid player in this league. I think it is more likely that Erie will deal either Harper, Crisp, or Cairns. It will be tough to see them go but the team needs defensive help badly. If Murphy is not in the plans he should be traded as well. I do not expect a monster return but a trade with him, one of the players mentioned above, and a 2nd rounder should easily bring a top 4 d-man in return.
Ok Otters Fan how about this, just throwing it out there.

To London Harper and Muprhy or Felker (not both) to Erie from London Raine and Mermis, two steady reliable Stay at Home consistent D, what Erie really needs ?

OR

To Windsor Harper and Murphy or Felker (not both) to Erie from Windsor Bateman and Percy, Percy being a strong, stay at home 6ft 3 D.

Yes, No, Maybe, or No Way, fun to play a wanna be GM isn't it !

Old
04-17-2013, 12:30 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Ok Otters Fan how about this, just throwing it out there.

To London Harper and Muprhy or Felker (not both) to Erie from London Raine and Mermis, two steady reliable Stay at Home consistent D, what Erie really needs ?

OR

To Windsor Harper and Murphy or Felker (not both) to Erie from Windsor Bateman and Percy, Percy being a strong, stay at home 6ft 3 D.

Yes, No, Maybe, or No Way, fun to play a wanna be GM isn't it !
1st trade-NO,because Raine is now with Sudbury

2nd trade with Windsor,No if u are Erie,Percy will be an O/A not enough to help Erie"s
defense
However Harper for Bateman is reasonable,2 1st rders who might need a change of scenery

Closed Thread