Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2013, 05:33 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
At the same time, seeing what I see from Dylan Strome, he is good enough to build a line around, even in Year 1. I cant seem to stress enough, how much this kid elevates his linemates.
I agree, he impressed me in camp. I think we should start out with McDavid centering line 1 and Strome centering line 2, but play the two together on the powerplay and work the duo together slowly. I do, however, disagree with your points that Erie lacks skill. McDavid should hit at least 80 points, Strome at least 50, Brown at least 60, Crisp can be a 30 goal scorer, Cairns can be a 50 points guy, Fox can be a 60 point guy, and I see some potential in Hodgson. We are pretty much set for forwards, just gotta improve the Defense and grow and play together as a team.

Old
05-31-2013, 06:32 PM
mapleleaf979

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
I agree, he impressed me in camp. I think we should start out with McDavid centering line 1 and Strome centering line 2, but play the two together on the powerplay and work the duo together slowly. I do, however, disagree with your points that Erie lacks skill. McDavid should hit at least 80 points, Strome at least 50, Brown at least 60, Crisp can be a 30 goal scorer, Cairns can be a 50 points guy, Fox can be a 60 point guy, and I see some potential in Hodgson. We are pretty much set for forwards, just gotta improve the Defense and grow and play together as a team.
Your right we dont agree there. Im not sold on Brown. He had a huge jump in production this year, but he needs to hit the weight room in a big way. A line of Mcdavid, Brown and Labardo lacked a physical element in a massive way. Mcdavid needs a gritty big guy to create space and drive the net taking a man with him in the process. Mcdavid needs one skilled sniper/playmaker and one gritty guy.

Erie in my opinion desperately needs top end skill in this form.

1) High end sniper
2) An elite puck moving defenseman

and lastly, a BIG physical, gritty winger. They passed on guys like Bushnell or Baird to select Saban, hope that works out for them. Bushnell and Baird are going to be 2 of the toughest guys in the OHL in the near future.

Old
05-31-2013, 06:38 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

Quote:
Your right we dont agree there. Im not sold on Brown. He had a huge jump in production this year, but he needs to hit the weight room in a big way. A line of Mcdavid, Brown and Labardo lacked a physical element in a massive way. Mcdavid needs a gritty big guy to create space and drive the net taking a man with him in the process. Mcdavid needs one skilled sniper/playmaker and one gritty guy.

Erie in my opinion desperately needs top end skill in this form.

1) High end sniper
2) An elite puck moving defenseman

and lastly, a BIG physical, gritty winger. They passed on guys like Bushnell or Baird to select Saban, hope that works out for them. Bushnell and Baird are going to be 2 of the toughest guys in the OHL in the near future.
Exactly why I suggested a Crisp-McDavid-Brown line, we may not agree on brown but he point up points this past season, Crisp also has high goal scoring potential and is a big physical winger. I think the immediate need that should be addressed this offseason is the top 2 dman. I think we can still have a solid season without trading for that "high end sniper", provided we do pick up that dman.

Old
05-31-2013, 07:00 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Exactly why I suggested a Crisp-McDavid-Brown line, we may not agree on brown but he point up points this past season, Crisp also has high goal scoring potential and is a big physical winger. I think the immediate need that should be addressed this offseason is the top 2 dman. I think we can still have a solid season without trading for that "high end sniper", provided we do pick up that dman.
Top 2 Dman I agree is most important. More important than a sniper. 50 shots against happened to much this year. To be more specific I think they need a puck mover, a guy to skate away from trouble and out of the zone. It will make the forwards that much better to have a puck rusher back there. That puck mover acting as a 4th forward entering the zone causes so many problems for defensive coverage, but also changes the dynamic of a game in a flash. A team that aggressively forechecks will be punished by a skilled puck retriever and rusher on the counter attack with the other team having 2 guys deep.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 05-31-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old
05-31-2013, 07:33 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
I agree with some your ideas. The problem I see with both Crisp and Cairns is compete level. At times they are great, and other times invisible and I question how much they really care at the end of the day. If they showed the heart that a player like Brown shows every game they would both be 60 point scorers. I do not like having some of the teams "better players" not showing up for half the games. This is a line-up I did months ago and I think Erie would easily finish top six with this. I know Crisp and Cairns both are top 6 but moving Strome up, the way Pettit competes I could see them taking Cairns off the second line. I also like the depth up front this creates.

Fox-McDavid-Crisp
Brown-Cairns-player from trade
Hodgson-Pettit-Betz
Strome-Evans-Wigle

Pelech-Import
Player from trade-McDowell
Raddysh- Abraham/Felker/Saban/Mayo

I think between Harper, Felker, Donnay, Wood, Murphy, and those five second round picks they can easily get players to fill the holes I have marked.

I put Strome on line four to start the season to get him adjusted to the league, often 16 year olds do not play center their first season but that would be determined later. Start him so he does not feel the pressure right off the bat and let him develop over the first month and then move him to line two or possibly with McDavid.

Old
05-31-2013, 08:30 PM
ottergolfer

I think you guys are missing the boat on Lattavo
he was a scorer in jr's and is a big kid with the right attitude
coming in very late on a squad that was beaten and down was tough.
look for a big improvement this year

Old
05-31-2013, 09:04 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
I agree with some your ideas. The problem I see with both Crisp and Cairns is compete level. At times they are great, and other times invisible and I question how much they really care at the end of the day. If they showed the heart that a player like Brown shows every game they would both be 60 point scorers. I do not like having some of the teams "better players" not showing up for half the games. This is a line-up I did months ago and I think Erie would easily finish top six with this. I know Crisp and Cairns both are top 6 but moving Strome up, the way Pettit competes I could see them taking Cairns off the second line. I also like the depth up front this creates.

Fox-McDavid-Crisp
Hodgson-Pettit-Betz
Strome-Evans-Wigle

Pelech-Import

I think between Harper, Felker, Donnay, Wood, Murphy, and those five second round picks they can easily get players to fill the holes I have marked.

I put Strome on line four to start the season to get him adjusted to the league, often 16 year olds do not play center their first season but that would be determined later. Start him so he does not feel the pressure right off the bat and let him develop over the first month and then move him to line two or possibly with McDavid.
You are right about Crisp not showing up all the time, but I think a fresh start in this new building, on the first line with McDavid, would be the jump start he needed and I think he would go all out every night. I really like your third line, but I dont think we should trade for another forward. I think Strome can play 2nd line right off the bat and lattavo can play good 4th line minutes, eliminating the need for that trade. I would also hang on to Wood and have him be the 13th forward, he is not a dman in my eyes. I think if we trade Harper, Felker, and two 2nds we can land the dman we need. Have Saban be dman #6, hang on to abraham, donnay, and murphy as the reserves.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:06 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergolfer View Post
I think you guys are missing the boat on Lattavo
he was a scorer in jr's and is a big kid with the right attitude
coming in very late on a squad that was beaten and down was tough.
look for a big improvement this year
I love his work ethic and attitude, and he is a big kid that plays hard. I saw he scored pretty well in the juniors. I think he can start off on the 4th this season and potentially work his way up the depth chart.

Old
06-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

How's the arena coming along? I haven't been to that part of town recently.

Old
06-01-2013, 02:49 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
How's the arena coming along? I haven't been to that part of town recently.
the outside is pretty much complete, and it looks beautiful, since the explosion finished their season they have closed it down and begun work on the inside. All the lower bowl and upper bowl seats have been removed, and the ice floor has been torn out.

Old
06-02-2013, 12:13 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post

Fox-McDavid-Crisp
Hodgson-Pettit-Betz
Strome-Evans-Wigle

Pelech-Import

I could see Strome starting on the 2nd or 3rd line. I can also see Murphy making his way back into the lineup. McDavid is going to NEED help this year, expect trades. This teams lacks a physical presence, and they are going to need it. Especially because teams will be gunning for McDavid a lot harder next year.

Old
06-02-2013, 12:54 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
I could see Strome starting on the 2nd or 3rd line. I can also see Murphy making his way back into the lineup. McDavid is going to NEED help this year, expect trades. This teams lacks a physical presence, and they are going to need it. Especially because teams will be gunning for McDavid a lot harder next year.
Strome should be on the second line imo, and the top powerplay unit. Murphy could make his way back in, especially if felker or someone gets dealt for a veteran top 4 dman. I disagree that Erie lacks a physical presence. We have a physical presence, we just dont use it. Fox, Crisp, Harper, Betz, and Wigle are all big guys than can hit hard and be physical. Same with Pelech and possibly Donnay on defense. They just need to play harder

Old
06-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Otters Fan

Quote:
Strome should be on the second line imo, and the top powerplay unit. Murphy could make his way back in, especially if felker or someone gets dealt for a veteran top 4 dman. I disagree that Erie lacks a physical presence. We have a physical presence, we just dont use it. Fox, Crisp, Harper, Betz, and Wigle are all big guys than can hit hard and be physical. Same with Pelech and possibly Donnay on defense. They just need to play harder
Donnay is as soft a big guy as there is in this league. Someone with that size should lay people out,and he never does.
Betz plays pretty soft for a big guy as well.
Crisp and Fox and Pelly are the only ones that play physical
Physical play and the defense are the two biggest problems this team has and needs to find a way to fix prior to this season or its going to be a long one all over again.

Old
06-02-2013, 05:14 PM
defensehockey19

Erie Fans: How Often if at all did Crisp play centre?

And if so... Is he a good faceoff man?

Thanks

Old
06-02-2013, 08:48 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post

Thanks
off the top of my head, i can barely remember him playing center. He played left wing pretty much all season long.

Old
06-02-2013, 09:39 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post

Thanks
I agree with most of the other post. There were a couple of instances last year where he did play center in a few shifts. Surprisingly I noticed he won more than half of the draws but it is a limited sample, maybe about 10 I can think of. I think he is a better wing than center any day.

Old
06-03-2013, 01:10 PM
mapleleaf979

Travis Dermott a pick from 2012 can help this team this season. Not only did he have a good season in Junior A this year, making the finals, but he stepped up his game BIGTIME in the OJHL playoffs. Long playoff runs at any level are great for development and when u succeed in those times. I think he makes this team this fall.

I would not give up on Felker. I would give him one more year to see what he can do. His season is hard to judge given some of his injuries.

Donnay, Abraham and Kuleshov in my opinion are liabilities. Donnay's first pass out of his zone is not at an OHL level. The 3 of them seem to buckle and panic during pressure.

Mcdowell for everything he gives u with his skating and offense, he gives it all back with poor defensive play.

Old
06-03-2013, 01:31 PM
mapleleaf979

Plus/minus stats, during the course of the 68 game schedule, in my eyes, its massive.

Mcdowell (Age 20) -43 in 67 games.
Donnay (Age 19) -39 in 68 games.
Harper (Age 18) -38 in 67 games.
Labardo (Age 21) -31 in 68 games.
Crisp (Age 19) -30 in 63 games.
Abraham (Age 20) -30 in 63 games.

Above are veteran OHL players still not defensively responsible? If they are rookies cut them some slack, I get that. But what is the reason now? Lack of skill or Lack of compete level. Choose one because, there are no other reasons why.

Who had the lowest plus/minus with minimum 60 games played?

Kyle Pettit -10 in 67 games. (granted he didnt see big minutes)
Connor Brown -11 in 63 games.
Mcdavid -24 in 63 games
Hodgeson -26 in 60 games.
Cairns -29 in 68 games.

Old
06-03-2013, 02:24 PM
highstickside

Look at the plus/minus stat from the trade deadline forward. I bet that there will be some pretty good indicators as far as who was still engaged and who was mailing in their effort.

Old
06-04-2013, 05:56 AM
Johnsb

Crisp will get a lot at the dead-line. He is a big power F that team's will be looking for if making a run at it.

Old
06-04-2013, 12:31 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

mapleleaf above mentioned dermott and he did indeed have a fantastic season playing with newmarket. bassin is majorly impressed with him and it looks like he is going to sign. Pelech is a top 2 dman. If McDowell improves defensively he is a top 4 dman. Pick up a top 4 dman from the import draft and trade for a top 2 guy to go with pelech. That leaves Raddysh/Dermott/Felker/Saban/Murphy/Donnay/Abraham to compete for the last few d spots. I think that leaves us in a pretty good place defensively.

Old
06-04-2013, 02:14 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
mapleleaf above mentioned dermott and he did indeed have a fantastic season playing with newmarket. bassin is majorly impressed with him and it looks like he is going to sign. Pelech is a top 2 dman. If McDowell improves defensively he is a top 4 dman. Pick up a top 4 dman from the import draft and trade for a top 2 guy to go with pelech. That leaves Raddysh/Dermott/Felker/Saban/Murphy/Donnay/Abraham to compete for the last few d spots. I think that leaves us in a pretty good place defensively.
I was really impressed with Dermott when I saw him play at the rookie camp. I thought he looked to be the best d-man out there of the younger players. Raddysh I was extremely impressed as the season went on. I am not sure if they both will be on the team as regulars but they are definitely looking like they could be potential top four players in future seasons.

Old
06-04-2013, 04:19 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Dermott had a great OJHL playoffs, and will turn into a great dman. He may be one of the best skaters in the OHL next year.

Old
06-04-2013, 04:21 PM
chewerjones

Erie drafted Kohler in the mid rounds, and from what I saw last year, he had a lot of skill and seems to be growing. Kid may have been overlooked on a talent latent Oakville team last year.

He may be in their lineup, sooner than later.

Old
06-04-2013, 08:54 PM
BramptonFan09

Quote:
Plus/minus stats, during the course of the 68 game schedule, in my eyes, its massive.

Mcdowell (Age 20) -43 in 67 games.
Donnay (Age 19) -39 in 68 games.
Harper (Age 18) -38 in 67 games.
Labardo (Age 21) -31 in 68 games.
Crisp (Age 19) -30 in 63 games.
Abraham (Age 20) -30 in 63 games.

Above are veteran OHL players still not defensively responsible? If they are rookies cut them some slack, I get that. But what is the reason now? Lack of skill or Lack of compete level. Choose one because, there are no other reasons why.

Who had the lowest plus/minus with minimum 60 games played?

Kyle Pettit -10 in 67 games. (granted he didnt see big minutes)
Connor Brown -11 in 63 games.
Mcdavid -24 in 63 games
Hodgeson -26 in 60 games.
Cairns -29 in 68 games.
The players above although being veterans doesn't mean they aren't still learning. For instance this was Spencer Abrahams third season but it was also the first time he had ever seen top 4 minutes in the OHL. Being a Brampton fan he wouldn't see a PK second, PP and limited 5 on 5. Similar case with both McDowell and Donnay. It was a huge learning year for them. Abraham will not be a top 4 for the otters next year but the top 4 experience will stick with him and for a team looking to win they will need experience on the backednd and depth. For a young player like dermot or Felker and even Raddysh the OHL is a whole new game compared to tier 2 junior A. The grind of a pro style season will get to them. I don't think you can say the players with high plus minus gave up or weren't working hard. Both Abraham and Donnay wore letters for the Otters. Abraham was given one when Knoblach came which must mean he's a high character kid. This team should trade some young prospects for a veteran D. I would like to see there D look like this.

Pelech - Trade (94)
McDowell - European
Abraham - Raddysh/Saban/ dermot/Donnay/Felker

Trade Block: Donnay, Raddysh, dermot, Felker, Murphy, Abraham, Cairns

Closed Thread