HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Like or Dislike? Tortorella and the Media

Old
05-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Paralyzer008

vCash: 500
Like or Dislike? Tortorella and the Media

Are you a fan of John Tortorella dealing with the media? Or do you think it's a distraction to the team? Just curious to see what Ranger fans feel.

http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey-...38;feedID=6357

If someone has a video of today's presser, please post. I just want to see who likes it and who doesn't.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

I neither like it nor dislike it. I LOVE IT.

He tells it how it is and gives straight forward answers. A coaches job is not to entertain the media and satisfy them. If anything, what Torts does deflects attention from the team and puts it on himself. It isn't a distraction, rather something that protects the players.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 06:16 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Mike Francesa found his post game interviews "interesting".

Wants to talk to him in studio to see if he can get more than one word answers out of him. lol

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Rangers1985

I ****ing love it.

Rangers1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 06:25 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Mike Francesa found his post game interviews "interesting".

Wants to talk to him in studio to see if he can get more than one word answers out of him. lol
Haha I heard that today, good luck with that one Mike. I have the odds of him saying "**** off" to Francesa's request being greater than him actually sitting down to an interview with him.

05-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Rangers1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Haha I heard that today, good luck with that one Mike. I have the odds of him saying "**** off" to Francesa's request being greater than him actually sitting down to an interview with him.

I hope to god he does.

Francesa can stick it.

Old
05-01-2012, 06:34 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
He's better than Dolan.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Go to msg.com/our-teams/rangers and click on the torts post practice video.

It was a national reporter who is obviously not as used to Torts as the local guys are. He was trying to milk answers out of Torts when he already said he wasn't answering him.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

If he thinks answering a question can potentially hurt the team he doesn't do it. Why should he help the opposition gain insights into the way he runs his team or when or why he makes certain changes? Besides that he has a couple of general rules. He won't comment about what he thinks of your team, he's the coach of the Rangers, and he either rips the refs or refuses to answer questions about their calls depending on how recently he's been fined/how terrible they just did their jobs. Honestly, I'm surprised out of town media members keep being surprised by this. I guess they don't prepare for their jobs very well.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 06:57 PM
30theking

the new york media really tests the limit of your patience. that's why only some head coaches or managers can coach here.

30theking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:08 PM
RangersInSeven

Dislike. He is often times rude and disrespectful. I understand his reluctance to talk about certain things but there are better way to handle those questions then he does. Think it has very very very little to no effect on what happens on the ice though.

RangersInSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
If he thinks answering a question can potentially hurt the team he doesn't do it. Why should he help the opposition gain insights into the way he runs his team or when or why he makes certain changes? Besides that he has a couple of general rules. He won't comment about what he thinks of your team, he's the coach of the Rangers, and he either rips the refs or refuses to answer questions about their calls depending on how recently he's been fined/how terrible they just did their jobs. Honestly, I'm surprised out of town media members keep being surprised by this. I guess they don't prepare for their jobs very well.
Well put.

He's, for lack of a better phrase, "old-school". There was a time when coaches didn't give interviews in the middle of games, and we're asked fairly begnin questions... Those days are over, for better or worse. Torts hates it and I don't blame him. The media is way too involved these days.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:20 PM
ck20

vCash: 1050
I think he likes being the center of attention so all the focus ends up being on him and not so much (or at least to a lesser degree) on the team. Pretty shifty if that's really his MO for dealing with things the way he does, and I would personally love that.

Otherwise, I don't mind the way he deals with the media.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Scooter17

Not a big fan of the way Torts handles the media. It can be funny when he gives it to Brooks or one of the reporters who doesn't normally cover the team (like today's post-practice), but when he starts to give Sam and some of the other MSG guys attitude it really pisses me off.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:27 PM
RangerBlues

Quote:
I would love Torts to remind Fran that there is a home grown world class professional team playing at MSG. And it was so nice of him finally to notice. And all the reasons he should notice even more.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:28 PM
McDunna with Fries

I feel like trash saying this, but Torts is like an angrier belichick in his press conferences, and we all know how much pats fans love him

McDunna with Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Rangers1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries View Post
I feel like trash saying this, but Torts is like an angrier belichick in his press conferences, and we all know how much pats fans love him

Meh. I wouldnt know cause I couldnt care less for the NFL.

Old
05-01-2012, 07:36 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
The thing is, Mike wants him in studio in the middle of the playoffs.

Tortorella isn't going to do that.

Maybe, maybe when the season ends he will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries View Post
Yeah, he is a bit like Belichick. Belichick with a temper...

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:40 PM
JayQueensNY88*

iI absolutley love it...he reminds me of myself,too much.Straight fwd,no ******** about anything.You dont like what he has to say dont ask him questions...he got that NY attitude,fits in perfect

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:46 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I like it... Refreshing and brutally honest. How much bull**t goes on with the media and making much ado about nothing on a regular basis? Torts cuts to the chase and goes on about his business. It's readily apparent that his focus his priorities is on the hockey club and being successful - which is where it should be. Strictly business. Who cares if he rubs a few reporters the wrong way in the process. They don't matter anyway. We get our reporting from trusted sources, and Torts doesn't rip into the more respectable & professional beatwriters anyway (Gross, Zipay, etc).

Last edited by wolfgaze: 05-01-2012 at 07:53 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter17 View Post
Not a big fan of the way Torts handles the media. It can be funny when he gives it to Brooks or one of the reporters who doesn't normally cover the team (like today's post-practice), but when he starts to give Sam and some of the other MSG guys attitude it really pisses me off.
Who cares how he handles the media? Most of them are self serving, pompous ***holes anyway who ask a bunch of doopey questions.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:47 PM
DM23BK30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Are you a fan of John Tortorella dealing with the media? Or do you think it's a distraction to the team? Just curious to see what Ranger fans feel.

http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey-...58&feedID=6357

If someone has a video of today's presser, please post. I just want to see who likes it and who doesn't.
It's unprofessional, childish and unnecessary.

Being the coach of the Rangers in NYC is an easy job. Look at what the other coaches in this town have to deal with.

I can deal with Torts "defending" and "protecting" his players, but his curt and abrasive approach makes him look small when you go down the line of all great NYC coaches who had personality and stood up for their players at the same time, and had tact and professionalism.

He's hated by the league. He's hated by officials. And he's hated by the local media.

If had a reason to be a jerk, I would understand it. But he's lead a privileged, suburban life. He acts like he grew up tough, when in fact he was born and raised in one of the richest towns in Mass.

I love the guy for his fire and passion, but there's a line coaches should not cross. And he's crossed it many times.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:48 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayQueensNY88 View Post
iI absolutley love it...he reminds me of myself,too much.Straight fwd,no ******** about anything.You dont like what he has to say dont ask him questions...he got that NY attitude,fits in perfect
Well said. I take the same approach in life. Straightforward, brutally honest, say exactly what you feel.

Old
05-01-2012, 07:49 PM
TankLarkin

if the blueshirts win he could call out Lassie as an overrated collie who was as good as his/her writers and be okay, but if this goes bad the media will draw and quarter his tough guy act. It's New York!

TankLarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:53 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
It's unprofessional, childish and unnecessary.

Being the coach of the Rangers in NYC is an easy job. Look at what the other coaches in this town have to deal with.

I can deal with Torts "defending" and "protecting" his players, but his curt and abrasive approach makes him look small when you go down the line of all great NYC coaches who had personality and stood up for their players at the same time.

He's hated by the league. He's hated by officials. And he's hated by the local media.

If had a reason to be a jerk, I would understand it. But he's lead a privileged, suburban life. He acts like he grew up tough, when in fact he was born and raised in one of the richest towns in Mass.

I love the guy for his fire and passion, but there's a line coaches should not cross. And he's crossed it many times.
I respect your take on this but look at the situation with Tom Renney. He was great with the media and very professional. Now that he's gone, how many fans and people around the league are looking back at Tom Renney's demeanor and drawing the conclusion about what a classy and professional organization the Rangers are for having him as their coach? I know I don't think about that stuff in that context, and I'm sure many other people around the league don't think or dwell on it either. So in that regard, why should we worry about people doing the same with regards to Tortorella having an abrasive approach to the media? When Torts is gone is anyone going to look back and feel that he did a disservice to the organization by being that way? I know I won't. If anything we will commend him for his other and much more valuable contributions - restoring the image and identity of this hockey team to that of a hard-working, blue-collar, and passionate team that plays inspired hockey and leaves everything out on the ice! That will trump any and all perceptions of his shortcomings with the media.