HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Biggs Leaving NCAA

Old
05-01-2012, 07:45 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Fewer options for him if his hockey career is a bust. Stay in school kids.
How much do you think his signing bonus is going to be?

I'm guessing 3 years at 90k, so $270k.

He should be able to pay for 3 years of university, and expenses and buy a new car with that bonus.

Not a problem if it doesn't work out.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
We want this kid to continue to develop strength, correct?
We want him to focus on developing his offensive skills, no?

One more year in Miami would've done wonders for these two things. I hope he stays.
The way the junior coaches teach NHL systems these days, I think this is good for Biggs. Not saying he will jump into the Leafs lineup after a year of OHL, but we see so many 18 year olds that are ready straight out of junior these days. Not many teams will be looking fwd to going into Oshawa next year, with Jenner and Biggs there.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:47 PM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
How much do you think his signing bonus is going to be?

I'm guessing 3 years at 90k, so $270k.

He should be able to pay for 3 years of university, and expenses and buy a new car with that bonus.

Not a problem if it doesn't work out.
Not to mention the CHL will provide you with an education package.

The NHL is a once in 10,000 lifetimes dream. School will be there when you're 25.

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:49 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
I think the NCAA would be better for his strength and conditioning; being able to compete against more physically mature players every game might be better preparation for play in the AHL/NHL. However, I think a year in the OHL would be much better for his offensive game. He should get more minutes, more games, and be expected to take on a larger role than he'd be given at Miami.
How does the OHL provide more of an offensive opportunity than the NCAA? Because it doesn't. In fact, It's exactly the opposite. The NCAA doesn't allow fighting, thus you see PF's working more on their offensive skills than throwing fists.

Also, he was earning bigger, more important minutes at the end of the year in Miami, and was poised to play a big role for their team as only a Sophomore.

Yes, there are more games in the OHL, but it's also a different game.

Again, I'm a huge OHL fan (Obviously), but other than a longer schedule, I don't see the benefit in him making the move. The Generals fired most of their staff, and have all new guys in there. It could be an absolute mess there next year.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:49 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
What does Ontario's drinking age have to do with anything?

Are people really still hung up on that hogwash about Kadri partying a little in his free time? Still trippin' over that ancient picture of Phaneuf?

He should stay another year in Miami because it's best for HIS development. PF's develop better when they're not knocking around 17 year old kids. He was playing with 20+ year olds in the NCAA, and they're much bigger and stronger than his competition will be in the OHL.

I'm an OHL advocate, but in this case, he's probably better served where he's at for another year. Another year with the Redhawks, then a move to the Marlies is probably the best route for him. It will be interesting to see how this develops.
Stick to your guns Ernie.

As we said until it is official it hasn't happened.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:51 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

There's no reason he can't play 9,20,30 games in the AHL to push around grown men, play in the World Juniors and go to the OHL for big minutes and a playoff run if the AHL is a bit much for him.

Being in the NCAA he didn't really have options. Now he does.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Interactif

It's Mckenzie, that's as Kreskin as it gets. The only question is which league does Biggs go to?

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:53 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
The way the junior coaches teach NHL systems these days, I think this is good for Biggs. Not saying he will jump into the Leafs lineup after a year of OHL, but we see so many 18 year olds that are ready straight out of junior these days. Not many teams will be looking fwd to going into Oshawa next year, with Jenner and Biggs there.
I partially agree, but at the same time, you don't think D-1 NCAA schools aren't playing a pro-style system? Miami definitely did. I get to watch a lot of college hockey, with my American Sattelite, and you would be surprised if you got to watch it more often. It's great hockey. Hard hitting, fast paced... It's everything you get in the CHL, but no fighting, and a shorter schedule.

It's a toss-up. There is NO OHL program that even comes close to the S&C program he was in at Miami(OH). I had a buddy go on scholorship to wrestle there, and got to visit the school a few times, and they have amazing facilities. They also spend time in the gym every day, unlike the OHL.

Old
05-01-2012, 07:53 PM
LeafDangler

Quote:
How does the OHL provide more of an offensive opportunity than the NCAA? Because it doesn't. In fact, It's exactly the opposite. The NCAA doesn't allow fighting, thus you see PF's working more on their offensive skills than throwing fists.

Also, he was earning bigger, more important minutes at the end of the year in Miami, and was poised to play a big role for their team as only a Sophomore.

Yes, there are more games in the OHL, but it's also a different game.

Again, I'm a huge OHL fan (Obviously), but other than a longer schedule, I don't see the benefit in him making the move. The Generals fired most of their staff, and have all new guys in there. It could be an absolute mess there next year.
Boone Jenner, a relatively similar player to Biggs, fought a grand total of 1 time last season. Fighting is a complete non-issue.

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Rinzler

If he's physically ready what's the problem with him playing in the OHL or the AHL? Just trying to understand why so many are upset about him leaving NCAA. More games is good isn't it?

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:54 PM
samwitch

Hopefully OHL so he can develop his fighting/physicality more.

samwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:55 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Stick to your guns Ernie.

As we said until it is official it hasn't happened.
lol. You know me, ULF. I'm sticking to the guns here. I think another year at Miami is best for the kid.

I won't cry if he chooses to go to Oshawa, but it is what it is.

Old
05-01-2012, 07:56 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
Not to mention the CHL will provide you with an education package.

The NHL is a once in 10,000 lifetimes dream. School will be there when you're 25.
There are some limitations to the OHL scholarship packages. They have to use it within 18 months of the end of their junior career. So probably for a player like Biggs, he'll never get a chance to use it unless he can't earn a pro contract.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:57 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
Boone Jenner, a relatively similar player to Biggs, fought a grand total of 1 time last season. Fighting is a complete non-issue.
LOL. In terms of toughness, Boone Jenner can't tie Biggs' shoes.
I'm referring to the fact that he'll have a target on him, much like Zack Kassian did. Kassian was the subject of everyone's goon, because he played an up-tempo physical game, and could put the puck in the net. Everyone wanted a piece, and he was happy to oblige.

I would just rather see him worry about developing his offense.

Old
05-01-2012, 08:00 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Interesting, I was expecting him to stay in Miami for another season. But what do I know..Burke and co. probably had a big say in this as well. Biggs will most likely play in the OHL next year.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Fewer options for him if his hockey career is a bust. Stay in school kids.
Oh, please.

Provided he doesn't piss away his money, even if he busts after a couple of seasons he can certainly afford a degree. If he busts earlier (and plays in the OHL for a couple of seasons), he's got a meal ticket to a CIS school where, again, he can get a degree.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:13 PM
HOCKEYGOON

I hope he ends up in the OHL/AHL for my own selfish reasons of wanting to see him play in person to see what we have coming up

HOCKEYGOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:16 PM
HOCKEYGOON

A guy of Biggs caliber if even a bust can play in Europe or even the SPHL and make a good living.

HOCKEYGOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:19 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
LOL. In terms of toughness, Boone Jenner can't tie Biggs' shoes.
I'm referring to the fact that he'll have a target on him, much like Zack Kassian did. Kassian was the subject of everyone's goon, because he played an up-tempo physical game, and could put the puck in the net. Everyone wanted a piece, and he was happy to oblige.

I would just rather see him worry about developing his offense.
Kassian fought 5 times in each of his last two OHL seasons (also 3 and 2 times respectively in the playoffs). Most of them were either instigated by him or responses to huge hits (some questionable or illegal).

He fought 13 times in his draft year, so you know that as soon as he was drafted, the Sabres' management obviously told him to cut back on that and focus on the rest of his game. The biggest concern in Kassian's case was some dangerous hits and off-ice issues.

It'll be up to the Leafs to talk with Biggs about what his goals should be and what he'll need to work on. As well, they'll need to keep tabs on him to ensure he's on the right development path.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:24 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

I wish he'd stay in Miami. For a kid who's physically developed like him it's a good place to develop his offensive skills with other players who are older and matured. Not to mention he'd have a bigger role with the team next year.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:29 PM
SprDaVE

I think the OHL is a superior league with players around his age and more suited to his type of game.

College hockey can be physical but it's nowhere near the intensity and physicality of the CHL. I like NCAA, but it doesn't compare in that sense.

He'll get to play a lot more games as well.

I don't think you can go wrong with either league. It's not an exact science anyway. People are making a big deal out of nothing.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:31 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
I wish he'd stay in Miami. For a kid who's physically developed like him it's a good place to develop his offensive skills with other players who are older and matured. Not to mention he'd have a bigger role with the team next year.
I'm personally on the COMPLETE opposite end of this spectrum.

I believe this will be a positive move for Biggs because he's learned to face bigger, older and stronger opponents in the NCAA and his offensive game was coming along towards the end of the season.

But switching to the OHL will allow him to completely dominate and gather confidence in his offensive game while learning to use his stature to an offensive advantage.

If he gets the pleasure of playing in the AHL, he'll again be facing larger, older and more physically mature men, but playing with much higher calibre players.

IMO, this is a positive move no matter which way you look at it.

The NCAA is a fantastic system to develop players in, but the sheer amount of games played in the OHL, AHL and NHL are more beneficial to Biggs than the rigours of the NCAA schedule.

This also allows him to get more acquainted with a growing young team due to his now much closer geographical distance.

ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
I like the move. He got to focus on his skills last year, and get used to playing against physically mature men (and from all accounts I've heard was a physical beast even against men).

Now he has a chance to go to the OHL, and hopefully learn how to completely take a game over with his physicality while playing in a first-line role against players his own age. Playing 68 games in a season should be good for him too. If he earns a job on the Marlies that's great too, a line of: Ross-Colborne-Biggs would have some serious NHL potential.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Fantastic news. Kid is physically ready , no need for a 4 year developmental plan. This should speed it up
Significantly. Id say he's a Marlie, with trips to the show. He would technically just be finishing his 3rd year of junior. This move gets me pumped.
Biggs has NO chance of being in the AHL. He is far from ready. His career at miami was lackluster at best, down right awful at worst.

Played very little on top lines and when he did those top lines failed pretty poorly and it usually because other players were injured (particularly mullin). Biggs was constantly in the trainers room due to "injuries" though its speculated he is a bit of a pansy. Was usually in the penalty box for really dumb penalties. Sure he is physically a beast, but he hasn't figured out to put it all together yet. He also doesn't have the hands that he is supposed to have around the net. There is a lot more maturing for him to go through before coming to an nhl level

Biggs, if anything, was a BIG disappointment for the Redhawks. I think Burke closely followed his development, wasn't happy with what he was seeing and has pulled the plug. Seemed like Burke was with us every other week in the pressbox. Its too bad really as I enjoyed being able to say hi and give him stat sheets and what not. Intimidating individual, but a lot nicer than people give him credit for at least in my experience.

Just for clarification, I write for the team so I know things beyond being a fan.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:53 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Biggs has NO chance of being in the AHL. He is far from ready. His career at miami was lackluster at best, down right awful at worst.

Played very little on top lines and when he did those top lines failed pretty poorly and it usually because other players were injured (particularly mullin). Biggs was constantly in the trainers room due to "injuries" though its speculated he is a bit of a pansy. Was usually in the penalty box for really dumb penalties. Sure he is physically a beast, but he hasn't figured out to put it all together yet.

Biggs, if anything, was a BIG disappointment for the Redhawks. I think Burke closely followed his development, wasn't happy with what he was seeing and has pulled the plug. Seemed like Burke was with us every other week in the pressbox. Its too bad really as I enjoyed being able to say hi and give him stat sheets and what not. Intimidating individual, but a lot nicer than people give him credit for at least in my experience.

Just for clarification, I write for the team so I know things beyond being a fan.

Sounds like we have another Howard Berger on our hands here.

Completely negative, yet completely ignorant in the sense that he would never say this to a players face.

Shame really.

ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote