HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biggs Leaving NCAA

Old
05-01-2012, 08:57 PM
LeafDangler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
Sounds like we have another Howard Berger on our hands here.

Completely negative, yet completely ignorant in the sense that he would never say this to a players face.

Shame really.
And a typical HF response with an Ad Hominem attack. What does it matter if he would say it to his face or not? Take the inside info with a grain of salt and move on. You have no idea if it's true or not. The reactionary defense of the team you cheer for is embarrassing.

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:58 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

Idk, I feel he is a Backes/Kesler type prospect and to use my meat references, he needs more time in the oven aka NCAA. People will be happy cause his stats will look better in the OHL, but people expecting him to dominate in terms of stats next year may be disapointed. J.T. Miller who is the better prospect was a point per game player on a Plymouth team with a lot of offensive talent. I just hope people don't expect him to go 40-40 just like that. I project more of a 25-30 for him. Hopefully he can still develop his strength.

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:00 PM
SteveV*

Great move. This guy's game isn't suited to the college game, much better to develop in junior or the AHL. So happy, let Biggs play big!

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:

Completely negative, yet completely ignorant in the sense that he would never say this to a players face.

Shame really.
If you would like to see my credentials, I would be more than happy to show them.

There really isn't a whole lot that was positive from biggs this season... I am really sorry to say that because I wanted him to do well. Truth of the matter is Czarnik, Mullin, and Coleman were better overall players than Biggs as freshmen.

As far as his injuries, I don't really know for sure if he was injured or not, but he was constantly in the trainer room needing attention.

I will say, Biggs does a really good job of hitting people. Not sure that is what you guys are looking for though. His game is much more suited for the OHL. Takes too many penalties in the NCAA.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:06 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Biggs has NO chance of being in the AHL. He is far from ready. His career at miami was lackluster at best, down right awful at worst.

Played very little on top lines and when he did those top lines failed pretty poorly and it usually because other players were injured (particularly mullin). Biggs was constantly in the trainers room due to "injuries" though its speculated he is a bit of a pansy. Was usually in the penalty box for really dumb penalties. Sure he is physically a beast, but he hasn't figured out to put it all together yet. He also doesn't have the hands that he is supposed to have around the net. There is a lot more maturing for him to go through before coming to an nhl level

Biggs, if anything, was a BIG disappointment for the Redhawks. I think Burke closely followed his development, wasn't happy with what he was seeing and has pulled the plug. Seemed like Burke was with us every other week in the pressbox. Its too bad really as I enjoyed being able to say hi and give him stat sheets and what not. Intimidating individual, but a lot nicer than people give him credit for at least in my experience.

Just for clarification, I write for the team so I know things beyond being a fan.
J

How much do you pay them to write about the team?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
J

How much do you pay them to write about the team?
Alright man I see how it is, shoot the messenger. Sorry I said anything.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:11 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Biggs has NO chance of being in the AHL. He is far from ready. His career at miami was lackluster at best, down right awful at worst.

Played very little on top lines and when he did those top lines failed pretty poorly and it usually because other players were injured (particularly mullin). Biggs was constantly in the trainers room due to "injuries" though its speculated he is a bit of a pansy. Was usually in the penalty box for really dumb penalties. Sure he is physically a beast, but he hasn't figured out to put it all together yet. He also doesn't have the hands that he is supposed to have around the net. There is a lot more maturing for him to go through before coming to an nhl level

Biggs, if anything, was a BIG disappointment for the Redhawks. I think Burke closely followed his development, wasn't happy with what he was seeing and has pulled the plug. Seemed like Burke was with us every other week in the pressbox. Its too bad really as I enjoyed being able to say hi and give him stat sheets and what not. Intimidating individual, but a lot nicer than people give him credit for at least in my experience.

Just for clarification, I write for the team so I know things beyond being a fan.
An 18 year old playing is his freshman year hasn't put it all together and still needs to mature? Weird.

A lot of what you said seems to a little sensationalist, but I think you have a good point about Burke pulling the plug. Sounds like Leafs' management have been keeping close tabs on Biggs, so if his season was as lack-luster as you make it out to be, perhaps Burke felt it wasn't the best environment for him to develop in.

On the other hand, perhaps it was Biggs who didn't feel it was the right place for him and had a change of heart. I'd imagine the Leafs were never against him playing in the OHL, so they'd probably support his decision.

In either case, it's 100% speculation on our parts. Even if he does end up leaving Miami (which no one here knows is true yet), all that can be assumed is that both sides must have agreed that it was the best decision for Biggs development.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:15 PM
JacobimMugatu
HF Strength Thread

Quote:

Shame really.
I don't think you know what the word ignorant means.
This guy has obviously seen Biggs play significantly more than you (if you have even seen him play at all) and you're writing off his opinion because it's negative, targets a prospect of your favorite NHL team and for some reason.. that he wouldn't say it to Biggs' face.
ok

JacobimMugatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:20 PM
NiL8r87

Quote:
Don't worry about a couple of morons.

Thanks for the info.

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Dayjobdave

If Biggs has decided to focus on Hockey full time and leave the NCAA, that's fine with me and I'm sure it's the best decision for him. The Leaf player development people will continue to work with him, probably more intensely now.

I expect he'll be in Oshawa next year, and it will be really fun to watch him.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:31 PM
binop7

Quote:
its speculated he is a bit of a pansy.
He'll fit right in then

binop7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:33 PM
WTFMAN99

Quote:

I think some of this may be a little over the top but not out of the realm of possibility, I cant see Biggs being "a pansy" the kid is pretty tough.

Like some here im torn on this, I actually thought the NCAA would of been good for him for another year so he could just focus on his skills. The OHL will provide more games for him though and the Generals have a decent enough program.

We'll see where this goes for Biggs, i'm hoping he can be the 3rd wheel on an offensive line down the road.

I really think theres not much to worry about with Biggs for atleast another 3-4 years. Kadri as well has a couple years before you really start to worry. I think people have been spoiled by some amazing young talent but the reality is alot of these kids will take time to develop.

WTFMAN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:34 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
If you would like to see my credentials, I would be more than happy to show them.

There really isn't a whole lot that was positive from biggs this season... I am really sorry to say that because I wanted him to do well. Truth of the matter is Czarnik, Mullin, and Coleman were better overall players than Biggs as freshmen.

As far as his injuries, I don't really know for sure if he was injured or not, but he was constantly in the trainer room needing attention.

I will say, Biggs does a really good job of hitting people. Not sure that is what you guys are looking for though. His game is much more suited for the OHL. Takes too many penalties in the NCAA.
I'm not interested in seeing your credentials.

I was just interested in seeing more of a constructive evaluation of his seasons play (like this post I am quoting), compared to the very negative and rather insulting description of his play in your post post.

I'm not doubting your credentials, nor am I doubting your ability to evaluate ones play and write about it. I was just shocked at the personal attack on such a young player.

I've seen a handful of Biggs games during his tenure with Miami, and I'll be the first to admit his performance was lacking. But the fact is we don't know why and chances are that he may have had a hard time adjusting.

Burke made the appropriate move taking him out of that system for various reasons, and one could be because he needs to craft his trade elsewhere.

I for one am one of the Leaf fans that have tempered my hopes for Biggs, and believe he will be an NHL player sometime, but not a Top 6 power forward that many are hoping and believing he will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobimMugatu View Post
I don't think you know what the word ignorant means.
This guy has obviously seen Biggs play significantly more than you (if you have even seen him play at all) and you're writing off his opinion because it's negative, targets a prospect of your favorite NHL team and for some reason.. that he wouldn't say it to Biggs' face.
ok
My statement was worded correctly and on point in the sense that a team writer should know better than posting the very detailed assumption.

I never once said I had seen Biggs play more than Joetimo, nor did I say I wrote off his opinion. It was accurate in most areas from what I've seen of Biggs play as well.

Im not playing favourites here because the Leafs are my "favourite" team. I'm just suggesting the specific wording Joetimo decided to use (in his first post) in regards to Biggs overall performance was a little too harsh and negative instead of constructive, very much like Howard Berger is.

Last edited by ChuckWoods: 05-01-2012 at 09:40 PM.
ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Prophet Kadri

The thing I like about the OHL is you know where a prospect stands amongst his peers, NCAA is much harder to judge someone because of age difference.

Prophet Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:38 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

You might be right.

But let's keep in mind 5'8", 140 lbs. forwards can do quite well in the NCAA. Seldom does that translate from the NCAA to the NHL. That's one issue with the NCAA, it isn't like the NHL or CHL hockey.

Mullin is over a year older, and Coleman 1.5 years older.

Yes, Biggs was the youngest player on the team.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:39 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
One thing to look fwd with Tyler leaving Miami, he will be freed to scrap next year, OHL will offer him many opportunities to show off his fighting prowless.
Why would we want that? He should work on his offense, he's clearly big enough to back up his ****. That's exactly what I don't want to see from him.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mooseOAK*

Quote:
You being the messenger implies that you know what you are talking about and aren't some wacko writing about the team like anyone else could. Who are you?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
exporta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
I hope he heads to the OHL.
I hope he surprises and is a productive top six winger. But I know that won't happen.

Ideally I hope a few Marlies graduate and Biggs EARNS a spot on the team.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Dayjobdave

As a freshman he wouldn't have been getting much ice time.

He should get quality minutes in Oshawa, and that will help his development as well.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Larcos_Unal

By the sound of it, he's been able to physically hold his own playing among men in college, now he can go to the OHL and play with kids his own age and work on the offensive side of the game.

What exactly is the problem? He can finish school if his hockey career fizzles, he'll have made more than enough money by the time he's done.

Larcos_Unal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 10:18 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

people are jumping right into the idea of him going to the OHL. i would bet good money thats not going to be the case. Hes physically ready, however hasnt yet found his scoring touch. This has Burke written all over it. If he in fact does leave, there would need to be incentive either way (aka guaranteed graduation to pro which incl.marlies and leafs). Hes a 19 year old that is built like a truck and can skate like the wind. Burke is planning on graduating a significant amount of the Marlies at the end of this season and will need replacements. Hes going to be in a much better position to make the NHL by being in the GTA not in Miami. Good on him if this is true and he does leave college. Nothing against going to school, however i consider hockey to be a "higher education" if you will. I've played competitive hockey and the coaching, teaching and learning is stimulus on its own. You end up learning about hockey rather then economics.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Interactif

Quote:

Since you offered, what is your FULL name and what paper do you write for?

You have said some very critical things about Tyler, calling him a pansy. I would like to tweet him to see what he thinks of these comments, perhaps even you.

Pardon me for saying this, but you sound somwhat bitter and before believing anything written in the wildwest of the internet, I would rather investigate it before believing it. I never saw one post from you about Tyler or in the Leafs forum for that matter until now, thus you have no cred in my eyes unless we get more parties involved or I have a source to view your written work.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

Quote:

Calling a player a pansy is professionalism at it's finest; you should apply at the Toronto Star.

Last edited by Tony Clifton Leaf: 05-01-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Sterling31
Takin' Over

PLEASE GO TO THE GENNIES!

too bad he didnt do it this year. however, they should have a decent amount of returning guys.

Thomas-Jenner-Biggs

now that's a line to look out for.

OHL hockey is perfect for this guy. He will get decent playing time; on a ready to win team (if we aren't poached by the NHL or AHL)

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 10:59 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Good move for Biggs, they're doing it right.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote