HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Biggs Leaving NCAA

Old
05-01-2012, 11:04 PM
jughead42

vCash: 500
This is going to be good for Biggs if it happens. It sounds like intimidation is going to be one of his weapons, and it's better learned in the OHL. He's already a physical specimen, so what's best for him is to play as much as possible so he'll learn how to use it to his advantage.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Flowseidon
Compton

Everyone's overreacting. Those are just his options if he chooses to leave. I doubt he actually does until he's ready for the Marlies.

Flowseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
OHL is better for developing PWF than NCAA IMO. In the OHL players are free to do whatever the **** they want as long as they can back it up.
Because that's exactly waht you want from a guy who treads on being a goon or a power forward.

I'd rather have Callahan than Lucic tbh. I don't like that he's leaving the NCAA at all.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:03 AM
showtime8

More playing time if he heads to the OHL. If he stays with the NCAA route, then he will probably be lost in the line-up until he's a junior or senior.

OHL is the better option for him. I don't really care where he goes in the O, but the Leafs brass will be a lot closer to him and would have more say on what he needs to work on to fit the system.

The college schedule isn't that appealing either. You saw how Gardiner hit a "speed bump" half way through the season where he looks exhausted and wasn't playing the way fans saw him earlier. It will be even harder for a guy that isn't the lightest on his feet and plays a tougher game than Jake.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I was just about to post something similar, The OHL has a proven record of developing the most NHL players of any league in the world.

Not to worry, Biggs is going the route of many before him. The OHL will have him ready for the pros more than Miami would. He's in good hands and lucky for us just down the road in Oshawa.
...and the #2 franchise world-wide for supplying NHL graduates.

Petes are #1, if you're curious.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
...and the #2 franchise world-wide for supplying NHL graduates.

Petes are #1, if you're curious.
I don't doubt that what you're saying is true, but I'm interested to peruse these numbers. Have a link?

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 02:04 AM
waterwilson
Rookie User

Ohhh no.. tsk2.

waterwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:32 AM
StuckOutHere

I think we should give him the D'Amigo treatment. Maybe give him a go in the AHL and if it doesn't go over well send him to Oshawa. All in all, I am glad he is leaving the NCAA.

StuckOutHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:04 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
Biggs has NO chance of being in the AHL. He is far from ready. His career at miami was lackluster at best, down right awful at worst.

Played very little on top lines and when he did those top lines failed pretty poorly and it usually because other players were injured (particularly mullin). Biggs was constantly in the trainers room due to "injuries" though its speculated he is a bit of a pansy. Was usually in the penalty box for really dumb penalties. Sure he is physically a beast, but he hasn't figured out to put it all together yet. He also doesn't have the hands that he is supposed to have around the net. There is a lot more maturing for him to go through before coming to an nhl level

Biggs, if anything, was a BIG disappointment for the Redhawks. I think Burke closely followed his development, wasn't happy with what he was seeing and has pulled the plug. Seemed like Burke was with us every other week in the pressbox. Its too bad really as I enjoyed being able to say hi and give him stat sheets and what not. Intimidating individual, but a lot nicer than people give him credit for at least in my experience.

Just for clarification, I write for the team so I know things beyond being a fan.
While I suspect there's probably some truths in this post, it reeks of homer sour grapes.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:49 AM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
While I suspect there's probably some truths in this post, it reeks of homer sour grapes.
You give him more credit than I, for all I know this guy is a Steve Simmons clone. Wouldn't read a Simmons article and give him the benefit of doubt without checking the facts. There is an obvious troll or smear quality to his post. I'm still waiting on his offer of releasing his name so we can alert Biggs or the Leafs to respond to his allegations.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 07:01 AM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
You give him more credit than I, for all I know this guy is a Steve Simmons clone. Wouldn't read a Simmons article and give him the benefit of doubt without checking the facts. There is an obvious troll or smear quality to his post. I'm still waiting on his offer of releasing his name so we can alert Biggs or the Leafs to respond to his allegations.
Calm down bro, It's like 8 in the morning. Don't jump down this guys throat like he is the first person to say something negative about a hockey player on the internet. I don't see a roll call going out for everyone who has suggested Phil Kessel is lazy or Mikhail Grabovski is infatuated with pineapples.

StuckOutHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
Calm down bro, It's like 8 in the morning. Don't jump down this guys throat like he is the first person to say something negative about a hockey player on the internet. I don't see a roll call going out for everyone who has suggested Phil Kessel is lazy or Mikhail Grabovski is infatuated with pineapples.
There's a difference in this post, he said he writes for The University of Miami, normally I would agree with you, posters are fans and you take it with a grain of salt. But if you read his post, it infers loudly he has inside information. Once you say that, you should release your name for credibility purposes and not hide behind the anonymity of an alias.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 07:10 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picktastic View Post
Don't mind Moose. He's a bit "blind" when it comes to the Leafs and their flaws, this includes prospects.

You'll see him type on here a lot until around February then he'll slow down (Leafs are generally doing bad at this point, and off the 130 points he predicts for them). He's entirely silent by around game 50.
Are you sure you know who mooseOAK is? He's the exact OPPOSITE of your description. Just as insufferable though.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
I don't doubt that what you're saying is true, but I'm interested to peruse these numbers. Have a link?
I just wikipedia'ed the Oshawa Generals

It was a couple of years back too.
*grain of salt* as always.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Around in 67
welcome back TLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
So much for what he said on draft day.

"I'm committed to four years at Miami and I plan on sticking to it."
how dare he change his mind...

Around in 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:22 AM
BenchedGuy

If he is leaving Miami-Ohio I see Leafs mgmt treating him the same as D'Amigo. Give him a chance to earn a roster spot with the Marlies, if he can't then send him to jr (Generals).
Same thing happen with Jerry, played with the Marlies, stumbled and was sent to Kitchener. Doesn't look to have hurt D'Amigo with his progression.

BenchedGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
If he is leaving Miami-Ohio I see Leafs mgmt treating him the same as D'Amigo. Give him a chance to earn a roster spot with the Marlies, if he can't then send him to jr (Generals).
Same thing happen with Jerry, played with the Marlies, stumbled and was sent to Kitchener. Doesn't look to have hurt D'Amigo with his progression.
I think they might skip that and put him straight in the OHL, better for him IMO. Pace in the AHL is a lot faster than the NCAA.

05-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Macman

Quote:
There's a difference in this post, he said he writes for The University of Miami, normally I would agree with you, posters are fans and you take it with a grain of salt. But if you read his post, it infers loudly he has inside information. Once you say that, you should release your name for credibility purposes and not hide behind the anonymity of an alias.
I'm not sure what eveybody's getting so bent out of shape about, or why they seem to be taking his criticism of Biggs so personal. He offered his opinion of his performance. He's not commenting on his life off-ice. Like anything else on the internet, believe it or not. At least he claims to have watched him a lot. It's more than most of can say but still doesn't stop us from pontificating.

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:34 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I think they might skip that and put him straight in the OHL, better for him IMO. Pace in the AHL is a lot faster than the NCAA.
In hind sight, they should have done that with D'Amigo.

I still say the will give Biggs a shot at the Marlies but he will be on a very short leash.

BenchedGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:38 AM
dougieg93
flip for filip

I would have liked him to play 1 more year in the NCAA. I don't think the lack of games in the NCAA as that much of a disservice, as on the flip side their is loads more practice time than in the CHL.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:42 AM
Rinzler

Quote:

I still say the will give Biggs a shot at the Marlies but he will be on a very short leash.
I agree with this. It probably will be a pretty tough go for Biggs to make the team too because of how strong the Marlies are right now.

D'Amigo and Biggs are similar in that they both are physically ready but Biggs like D'Amigo may not quite ready for the pro game at that age.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:42 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

Regardless, even though I would preferred him back in the NCAA, I will enjoy seeing him near home if he does come here.

This time around he should also be there for the prospect training camp, so it should give him an idea on his teammates and also get some tips from dion.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:50 AM
Stringer Bell

As simply a fan this is great news. I think it is so much easier to understand a player's stats and play in the CHL. I find understanding stats in the NCAA almost impossible to understand or compare.

Stringer Bell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:02 AM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

So the fly-by that happened a few pages ago, by that so called "Miami writer", hasn't been met with his creds, or any substantial back-up for his words? who knew?

I didn't see a ton of him, as I didn't get my sattellite until December, but I can say from the maybe 15-16 games I saw, that he wasn't any sort of "pansy", nor was he anything but USUALLY the most aggressive player on the ice. He took some penalties in bad situations, and had some questionable decision making, but he was far from "awful". He was a freshman, and thus, didn't get a ton of minutes. If the "writer" is suggesting that somehow that isn't par for the the course in the NCAA, then I don't know if he's writing for hockey... maybe lacrosse.

I'll talk to a friend in Oxford today who coaches some minor hockey there, and see what he has to say. I'll take his word, as a coach of 25 years, over this guy, anyday.

CrankuptheSnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:03 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
As simply a fan this is great news. I think it is so much easier to understand a player's stats and play in the CHL. I find understanding stats in the NCAA almost impossible to understand or compare.
Well without actually watching the games or reading reports, I think any players stats from the CHL/NCAA/AHL can be hard to interpret.

Probably half of the top 10 scorers every year in the OHL go on to become nobodies, never make the NHL, or are fringe NHLers.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote