HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biggs Leaving NCAA

Old
05-02-2012, 09:07 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Well without actually watching the games or reading reports, I think any players stats from the CHL/NCAA/AHL can be hard to interpret.

Probably half of the top 10 scorers every year in the OHL go on to become nobodies, never make the NHL, or are fringe NHLers.
Two words: Bill Boller

One more word: lol

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:09 AM
pooleboy
#chychrun2016

Quote:
Well without actually watching the games or reading reports, I think any players stats from the CHL/NCAA/AHL can be hard to interpret.

Probably half of the top 10 scorers every year in the OHL go on to become nobodies, never make the NHL, or are fringe NHLers.
Players that lead the league in scoring at 18 usually go far, the ones who lead the league in scoring and are 20+ they usually become fringe players.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:13 AM
pooleboy
#chychrun2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Because that's exactly waht you want from a guy who treads on being a goon or a power forward.

I'd rather have Callahan than Lucic tbh. I don't like that he's leaving the NCAA at all.
What? Lucic can put up 20 goals and will never back down from a fight, he also his a heavyweight and can take on all the big tough guys and usually wins/ hold his own. If biggs became lucic we have a huge gem on our hands. Callahan is hard working and good leadership but lucic>>>>callahan.... U can just see the intimidation he has on the ice

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:21 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
What? Lucic can put up 20 goals and will never back down from a fight, he also his a heavyweight and can take on all the big tough guys and usually wins/ hold his own. If biggs became lucic we have a huge gem on our hands. Callahan is hard working and good leadership but lucic>>>>callahan.... U can just see the intimidation he has on the ice
They're slightly different players.

Lucic is more your prototypical power forward. Huge hits / scoring.

Callahan is more of a well rounded two-way winger. Defensively Callahan is one of the top wingers in the game. But physically/scoring he's not as good as Lucic, though his scoring seems to be picking up. Callahan is a great player. Out of the two I don't know which I'd take.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:22 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:

I was curious on this so I had to check. As an OHL fan, this is where I watch most of my games so I used this as a snap shot. With going back a few years for development this is what I saw.

06/07 Regular Season
1 * Patrick Kane London Knights 58 62 83 145 52
2 John Tavares Oshawa Generals 67 72 62 134 60
3 Sergei Kostitsyn London Knights 59 40 91 131 76
4 Tyler Donati Belleville Bulls 66 54 75 129 52
5 * Sam Gagner London Knights 53 35 83 118 36
6 Bryan Little Barrie Colts 57 41 66 107 77
7 Evan Brophey Plymouth Whalers 68 36 71 107 91
8 Bobby Ryan Owen Sound Attack 63 43 59 102 63
9 Brett MacLean Oshawa Generals 68 47 53 100 43
10 Bobby Hughes Kingston Frontenacs

05/06 Regular Season
1 Rob Schremp London Knights 57 57 88 145 74
2 David Bolland London Knights 59 57 73 130 104
3 Wojtek Wolski Brampton Battalion 56 47 81 128 46
4 Dylan Hunter London Knights 62 32 85 117 50
5 Evan McGrath Kitchener Rangers 67 37 77 114 63
6 Justin Donati Toronto St. Michael's Majors 62 46 63 109 50
7 Bryan Little Barrie Colts 64 42 67 109 99
8 Peter Tsimikalis Oshawa Generals 64 29 70 99 69
9 Cal O'Reilly Windsor Spitfires 68 18 81 99 8
10 Bobby Ryan Owen Sound Attack 59 31 64 95 44

So you are about right, but that is from one league within all of development feeding all the NHL teams so it is somewhat impressive.

But not to derail this thread. If Biggs does go to Oshawa and becomes a top 10 scorer, his chances on becoming a Leaf are not to bad. In leaving NCAA the things he will benefit from are a more realistic pro schedule, means more game experiences to work on. He will miss out on some of the development the NCAA works on too, so hopefully he is making the right decision for himself.

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
I disagree here. I would have a callahan in my team any day of the week before Lucic. Sure Lucic has an intimidation factor but a guy like Callahan leads his troops and helps them back up if they are going down.

05-02-2012, 09:43 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Justin Azevedo was the leading scorer in the OHL once, all he did was float around at centre ice.

The stats in junior don't tell all, but it gives a good idea of who can produce. The best way to tell is the guys that make the WJCs.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Justin Azevedo was the leading scorer in the OHL once, all he did was float around at centre ice.

The stats in junior don't tell all, but it gives a good idea of who can produce. The best way to tell is the guys that make the WJCs.
I wouldn't say that, sometimes prospect can go hot and cold in the Tournaments.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Stringer Bell

Quote:

Well yeah, I agree, absolutely, but you still know what I mean. Trying to understand how a player is doing at the NCAA level by looking at stats is such a mind fu*ck.

With the different leagues, etc, sometimes you see a player be enough less than a point per game at the NCAA level and not miss a beat by stepping into the NHL, then others tear it up and can't do much at the ECHL level.

Same can be said about the CHL to an extent, but it's a lot easier to understand IMO.

My fault if i'm not explaining myself very well, but I'm pretty sure most if not all of you at least know what I'm trying to say.

Stringer Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:30 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
So the fly-by that happened a few pages ago, by that so called "Miami writer", hasn't been met with his creds, or any substantial back-up for his words? who knew?

I didn't see a ton of him, as I didn't get my sattellite until December, but I can say from the maybe 15-16 games I saw, that he wasn't any sort of "pansy", nor was he anything but USUALLY the most aggressive player on the ice. He took some penalties in bad situations, and had some questionable decision making, but he was far from "awful". He was a freshman, and thus, didn't get a ton of minutes. If the "writer" is suggesting that somehow that isn't par for the the course in the NCAA, then I don't know if he's writing for hockey... maybe lacrosse.

I'll talk to a friend in Oxford today who coaches some minor hockey there, and see what he has to say. I'll take his word, as a coach of 25 years, over this guy, anyday.
This was an easy call for me, when someone implies they have inside info as to being around the team and is a so called writer of U of Miami. I do believe it would be responsible of the writer to atleast include a name when you label a 19 yr old kid that by all accounts is a character human being and teammate a pansy.

Your wording is spot on, it was a fly by. Say some disparaging things and leave us pondering the innuendo. I don't like it, I don't think I overreacted, I just want to know the poster's name, as he offered ChuckWoods. If he wanted his opinion to be taken credibly.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

It should be interesting if he plays beside Jenner.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Johny Drama

You would have to think Biggs consulted with many different people close to him in making this decision, especially his father and Brian Burke. BB is a big believer in the U.S. college route, so I'm sure the pro's and con's of his decision were weighed heavily. Bottom line, Canadian Junior to the AHL is a faster track to the NHL than playing U.S. college hockey and I would imagine this was a major factor. I was pretty critical of the decision to draft him in the first place, but he certainly brings some traits to the game the Leafs are in desparate need of.

Johny Drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
He's also a ****ing idiot and a liability. It's easy to throw Lucic off his game, get him into fights, he wasn't a factor in the bruin's Stanley Cup run, blame it on injury or wahtever you want but he's just loud and noticeable.

Callahan is a team leader, grinder, great PKer and can put up 20 goals as well.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

interesting... i thought he would play another year there...

I guess he will be a Marlie

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:21 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

I think he'll play a year of OHL with Oshawa if he does leave.

My only worry is, they just canned their whole staff, and that team was as big a disappointment as you'll find in the CHL this year, based on returning talent. With a new staff, and some roster turnover, I just hope he doesn't walk into a *hit storm.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
He's also a ****ing idiot and a liability. It's easy to throw Lucic off his game, get him into fights, he wasn't a factor in the bruin's Stanley Cup run, blame it on injury or wahtever you want but he's just loud and noticeable.

Callahan is a team leader, grinder, great PKer and can put up 20 goals as well.
yeap, last year rosehill put him in the penalty box after a fight and we ended up scoring a goal.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:35 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

A little off topic, but has anyone here ever been to Miami(OH)? Oxford is a beauty town, and the school is top-notch. Their facilities are gorgeous. I almost went on wrestling scholorship, and I was blown away on my OV.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Yosho
Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post

He led the entire CHL that year.

He was barely drafted

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Sterling31
YNWA - TML

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I think he'll play a year of OHL with Oshawa if he does leave.

My only worry is, they just canned their whole staff, and that team was as big a disappointment as you'll find in the CHL this year, based on returning talent. With a new staff, and some roster turnover, I just hope he doesn't walk into a *hit storm.
The Gens had an alright year. They got hit hard by non-returning Dmen. If that doesn't happen to their offense, they should have a Niagara type year next season.

They have room to improve the D. But the offense should be top notch, especially with Biggs in the fold.

The only concern i ever had with the gens is they don't go for it. This should be the point where they try to win it all. The players they got from the Tavares / Del zotto trade are peaking. The management has to be committed to moving future assets to help now

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:53 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

That's true, but to say their result was anything but underwhelming, given the talent they had, is tough. Being a Spits fan, I actually don't mind the Gens, and watch them as much as I can. I was really hoping to see more out of them. If they add Biggs this year, management better get it right, because they'll have all the talent in the world to challenge London/Plymouth for the OHL title.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:58 AM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

If Biggs' career goes off-track because he went the OHL route instead of the NCAA route (or vice versa), he never had a chance to begin with.

I personally lean toward the benefits of the NCAA route, but I don't think you'll find many, if any, players that went bust solely because they chose one or the other.

AlienWorkShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:01 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
There's a difference in this post, he said he writes for The University of Miami, normally I would agree with you, posters are fans and you take it with a grain of salt. But if you read his post, it infers loudly he has inside information. Once you say that, you should release your name for credibility purposes and not hide behind the anonymity of an alias.
While I'm with you that the one post wasn't as objective as you'd like to see from a journalist, it's really not a big deal. He used whatever knowledge he had of Biggs and posted his opinion on the prospect. It's not like that was a article published in the Toronto Sun...just a post on page 4 of a thread on HFBoards. No need for an inquisition.

Again, the post wasn't the most professional for someone boasting about their credentials, but whatever...everyone's entitled to an opinion and I'll be the first to admit that he's definitely seen more of Biggs than I have, so I can't be too critical of him.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:03 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I wouldn't say that, sometimes prospect can go hot and cold in the Tournaments.
I know. That's why if they make the team, they are usually the most complete players and are sure fire prospects. Players don't make the team without having a good 2 way game (looking at you Angelo [even though he made it once]). But players like Azevedo who don't make the team aren't usually as good. (Few exceptions would be Seguin, and a few others)

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote