HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biggs Leaving NCAA

Old
05-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Sergei Berezin

vCash: 500
Also, remember Burke and Co. pushed for Stuart Percy to get ice time with the Marlies in the playoffs. Percy was taken a couple of spots after Biggs, and is much less physically mature.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Brozak
i scoreded a goal

Best case scenario, he goes to Oshawa and tears up the OHL.

Actually... the best case would be for him to bust right out of training camp and make a huge impact on the Leafs next season, but obviously that's a bit much haha.

Brozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:39 AM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
If he plays or joins the Marlies, would that not burn a year off his ELC?
If he plays with the Marlies this year, then yes he will burn a year.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
NCAA should open up their league to players who have previously played major junior.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:29 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Swift View Post
NCAA should open up their league to players who have previously played major junior.
It would raise the level of the hockey and the scholarships would be paid by the Canadian Hockey League teams. Win-Win.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
It would raise the level of the hockey and the scholarships would be paid by the Canadian Hockey League teams. Win-Win.
My friend from my ball team couldn't play NCAA because he got into 1 exhibition game with the Soo. 1 game. That's ridiculous.

Old
05-03-2012, 09:58 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Swift View Post
My friend from my ball team couldn't play NCAA because he got into 1 exhibition game with the Soo. 1 game. That's ridiculous.
It is. The NCAA is a joke. I know how to fix it. If the athletes have to be strictly amateur, so should the administration and the coaches. I bet the rules would change pretty quickly if the professional bureacracy of NCAA sports weren't paid just like their indentured student athletes.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Commander Clueless
Spazmatic Dan

With all this talk about the Leafs wanting more size and grit I bet he gets a good look in training camp.

He probably knows it too...

Commander Clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

3rd line

Ross - Gaustad - Biggs.

Come get some.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Darylman

Powerforwards really shouldn't be playing in the NCAA.

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:10 AM
leafsfuture

I personally think he should have stayed at Miami U for 1 more year, than turn pro, but im assuming he will be a General next year. They will have a pretty strong team with Jensen, Jenner, Lessio, Laughton all returning. They wont have a true star next year, but the Generals should have a pretty legit top 6.

There is no way in hell he makes the Marlies. Barring Burke being able to freeload all of Connolly, Lombardi, Steckel, Army, we will have limited Leaf spots available up front, and that will carry back to the Marlies. Biggs isnt good enough for a top 6 role anyway, and I think Burke and co learned their lesson with bringing D'Amigo up too soon

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:12 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post
Pretty much, Biggs can't really play his game there without getting tossed out of several of them.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
With all this talk about the Leafs wanting more size and grit I bet he gets a good look in training camp.

He probably knows it too...
Indeed. He knows there's a job opening to be had. It's no secret what the Leafs are aspiring to become especially with Carlyle behind the bench for the foreseeable future. Players looking to make an NHL roster whom specialize in this area would be keen on trying to make the team and making an impression.

I keep saying it but I'm really looking forward to camp this year. Lots of big bodies are going to be competing hard for roster spots and favour with Carlyle.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:52 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Pretty much, Biggs can't really play his game there without getting tossed out of several of them.
This is true. We saw Andrew MacWilliam get kicked out of a game this season for a hit I'm confident wouldn't even be a penalty in any pro league.

Old
05-03-2012, 11:52 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

NCAA should not allow CHL players if they want to keep a development role. It would become like the CIS where very few 18-19 year olds would play and develop.

I would be OK with the NCAA consider 1 year in the CHL=1 year eligability, so if you play 2 years in the CHL, you start in the NCAA as a junior. In the past the CIS had a similar position for CFL players. Each year you played in the CFL, you lost a year eligability in CIS (which is 5 years.). I believe Daryl Forde (Duane's brother) played at Western, went to the CFL for a year and returned to Western for another year.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:53 AM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
I agree. His game is centered around being a mean SOB. He was drafted in the first round because he was seen as one of, if not the best hitter and fighter in the draft. He'll get a chance to bully his way through the OHL like Kassian was able to.

FrozenJagrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Sterling31
YNWA - TML

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
I personally think he should have stayed at Miami U for 1 more year, than turn pro, but im assuming he will be a General next year. They will have a pretty strong team with Jensen, Jenner, Lessio, Laughton all returning. They wont have a true star next year, but the Generals should have a pretty legit top 6.
Don't see Rangers keeping Thomas up. He isn't suited for the AHL either. He is the closest thing to a star as anyone; Him and Jenner should be able to make the Jrs. if they dominate, like final year Junior players should.

Biggs would fit in nicely. With new management and coaching he is going to be given just as much of a chance as any player on the roster.

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:05 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
NCAA should not allow CHL players if they want to keep a development role. It would become like the CIS where very few 18-19 year olds would play and develop.

I would be OK with the NCAA consider 1 year in the CHL=1 year eligability, so if you play 2 years in the CHL, you start in the NCAA as a junior. In the past the CIS had a similar position for CFL players. Each year you played in the CFL, you lost a year eligability in CIS (which is 5 years.). I believe Daryl Forde (Duane's brother) played at Western, went to the CFL for a year and returned to Western for another year.
The AHL is still a development league despite having 27-35 year olds sprinkled throughout it. It would only improve the level of NCAA hockey to have better players of a reasonable age playing there. I think the biggest argument against it would be that there's a double opportunity of playing in both the CHL and NCAA that would bump players on the bottom of NCAA rosters.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:24 PM
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post
Why is that?

I'm not crying SteveV, not need to get all hurt about my comments. I was more or less joking. If Tyler thinks it's the best route for him, then who am I to tell him it isn't.

At least he gave it a shot. The ones that bother me are the ones that commit to an NCAA team and then back out less than 6 months after committing, it's bs. It's happened to UND alone 3 times in the last year (Miller, Matteau, Koules). Now they are left to fill those roster spots in a short time period. Once again, not crying, and this can all change if the NCAA gets their **** together, but they won't.

IMO a powerforward would be better off in the NCAA than the OHL in some cases. Older/bigger/tougher competition. A powerforward in the OHL benefits from being bigger than everybody else...not the case in NCAA. Although there is plenty evidence to show that the O does a good job of producing powerforwards too.

If there's an "asinine" comment on here it's that one league is always better than the other.

FytinSioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:35 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FytinSioux View Post
Why is that?

I'm not crying SteveV, not need to get all hurt about my comments. I was more or less joking. If Tyler thinks it's the best route for him, then who am I to tell him it isn't.

At least he gave it a shot. The ones that bother me are the ones that commit to an NCAA team and then back out less than 6 months after committing, it's bs. It's happened to UND alone 3 times in the last year (Miller, Matteau, Koules). Now they are left to fill those roster spots in a short time period. Once again, not crying, and this can all change if the NCAA gets their **** together, but they won't.

IMO a powerforward would be better off in the NCAA than the OHL in some cases. Older/bigger/tougher competition. A powerforward in the OHL benefits from being bigger than everybody else...not the case in NCAA. Although there is plenty evidence to show that the O does a good job of producing powerforwards too.

If there's an "asinine" comment on here it's that one league is always better than the other.
NCAA has no one but itself to look at for the problems it has, and we read about them all the time.

Hypocrits.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Happy Fan
one big happy family

The best thing that is guaranteed to happen is we get a look at him with the big boys in camp!!

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:23 PM
LeafsNation88

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post

There is no way in hell he makes the Marlies. Barring Burke being able to freeload all of Connolly, Lombardi, Steckel, Army, we will have limited Leaf spots available up front, and that will carry back to the Marlies. Biggs isnt good enough for a top 6 role anyway, and I think Burke and co learned their lesson with bringing D'Amigo up too soon
are you serious? D'amigo has been the best marlie in these playoffs and for the second half of t he season..hes got a great shot, awesome pker, gritty, and fast. I could see him being on our 3rd line next season if not 4th.

LeafsNation88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Sundinisagod
93 v2.0

Definately think the ohl would be best for him this upcoming season.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post

The NCAA does not allow CHL players.. Players that want to attend USA Colleges and play hockey need to play Tier II junior A hockey to preserve their College eligibility.

Its the reason why Leaf players like Joe Colborne played with Camrose Kodiaks of the AJHL, Matt Frattin with Fort Saskatchewan Traders - AJHL or Tyler Bozak with Victoria Grizzlies of BCHL instead of the CHL.

Justin Schultz had to play for the Westside Warriors BCHL, as opposed to the Kelowna Rockets of the CHL in order for him to be able to go to Wisconsin. Both junior teams play within the same city, but only the Tier II program allows NCAA promotion.

NCAA players however can leave College to join CHL once they are selected in the CHL draft to teams to secure their playing rights.

Last edited by Mess: 05-04-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:45 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

The NCAA has its issues, but it also has its benefits.

Kids in the CHL don't spend 1/4 the time in the gym that NCAA kids do. They don't practice as much, and they don't get to play against bigger/stronger/tougher players nearly as much either.

To say that PF's don't develop as well in the NCAA is at best, a reach.

This is coming from a major supporter of the CHL, as well.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote