HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL 2011-2012 - IT'S PLAYOFF TIME!!! ‎Pt. II, Kings vs Devils for the Cup

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2012, 09:36 PM
66-29-33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
If the Flyers could only be up against a Dan Bylsma coached team in every round they would win the cup easily!!!
Giroux would have 60 points in the playoffs too. Malkin almost had 40 in 09.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:41 PM
gordie
Journeyman Despres

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Giroux would have 60 points in the playoffs too. Malkin almost had 40 in 09.
Giroux??? You mean the nemesis that Dan Bylsma just can't unravel!!!

Old
05-06-2012, 09:43 PM
OGBobbyFarnham

The Pens/Flyers still remains a head scratcher to me. Total bizzaro playoff hockey. Firmly believe, if we had somehow gotten past the Flyers we'd be cruising, somewhat, to the Finals.

Tank for 6th, indeed.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Weakside Lock
Trade Malkin???

The Flyers losing...

Old
05-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
The Pens/Flyers still remains a head scratcher to me. Total bizzaro playoff hockey. Firmly believe, if we had somehow gotten past the Flyers we'd be cruising, somewhat, to the Finals.

Tank for 6th, indeed.
Explain how that defense would have gone anywhere in the playoffs, no matter who we played.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:46 PM
EvGeno
He can do it all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
The Flyers just aren't as good as we made them out to be. We made them look like the 80's Oilers.
was thinking the same thing...I just don't understand how they could basically dominate the Pens, and then get killed by the Devils.

Oh well, I'll have to enjoy them losing and pick a bandwagon...I'm hoping Phoneix wins, so that they stay in town and the pro-Canada crowd have a meltdown, or LA wins and Philly fans have a meltdown (Richards/Carter) . Of course, now that I've written that, that probably means Washington will win or something

Old
05-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11isEricsBrother View Post
was thinking the same thing...I just don't understand how they could basically dominate the Pens, and then get killed by the Devils.

Oh well, I'll have to enjoy them losing and pick a bandwagon...I'm hoping Phoneix wins, so that they stay in town and the pro-Canada crowd have a meltdown, or LA wins and Philly fans have a meltdown (Richards/Carter) . Of course, now that I've written that, that probably means Washington will win or something
One sentence explains it:

Defense wins in the playoffs.

I made that up, but you can quote me on it.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:50 PM
OGBobbyFarnham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Explain how that defense would have gone anywhere in the playoffs, no matter who we played.
I believe they would've gotten better as we went along. We needed an easy first round matchup. I just didn't see us having much trouble with any team really, other than the Flyers. They tap danced all over our D-Core. IMO no other team in the east could've done that. Yes, i realize we we're poor defensively even heading into things. Both loses to the Islanders etc, etc.

I just believe we wouldn't have had as much trouble with the Forward cores of any east team. We would've won games by outscoring and other teams not having the offensive punch, like the Flyers have to keep pace.

ETA: Our pk would've looked top 3 versus every other east team imo.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:53 PM
gordie
Journeyman Despres

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11isEricsBrother View Post

LA should be the favorite for no other reason than Quick looks like the Conn Smythe winner. Love to see Scuderi get another ring but could live without Richards & Carter's name on the Cup though.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Jaded-Fan

LMAO @ the hypocritical Cryers. I swear if any of them ever complains about Sid again they should get a rusty skate to the nuts:

Sam Carchidi ‏ @BroadStBull
Briere said he is most surprised by #Devils' slashes to the hands. #Flyers

Old
05-06-2012, 09:57 PM
KaylaJ
I like stories

Quote:

Tank for 6th, indeed.
Yes, because Florida even with Theodore and Garrison missing games, Versteeg with a bad hip, Fleischmann with a broken digit, thrashing through NJ's top rated PK would've been an easier match up...

Old
05-06-2012, 10:01 PM
OGBobbyFarnham

I mean just look at our PK. It was as if the Flyers had everything pegged. Talbot coughing up all the systems? /tinfoil hat. If you really think we'd be getting outshot versus the Devils like the Flyers are. I'd call you crazy.

Le Sigh. The only saving grace for me, is Sid getting more rest and the possiblilty of getting a better system with better or more improved pieces in place.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:02 PM
OGBobbyFarnham

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
Yes, because Florida even with Theodore and Garrison missing games, Versteeg with a bad hip, Fleischmann with a broken digit, thrashing through NJ's top rated PK would've been an easier match up...
2 totally different PK's. 5 on 5 we'd have blown them out of the water.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
I mean just look at our PK. It was as if the Flyers had everything pegged. Talbot coughing up all the systems? /tinfoil hat. If you really think we'd be getting outshot versus the Devils like the Flyers are. I'd call you crazy.

Le Sigh. The only saving grace for me, is Sid getting more rest and the possiblilty of getting a better system with better or more improved pieces in place.
Yeah Sid is going to be unbelievably motivated next year. The loss in the first round is only part of it. Losing the better parts of two years, a lot of furstrations. I could see him with 140 points plus.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Love that the Flyers are on the ropes, but it ****ing blows that the Pens basically had a free pass to the SCF and ****ed it up.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:20 PM
KaylaJ
I like stories

Quote:
2 totally different PK's. 5 on 5 we'd have blown them out of the water.
I'm sure NJ fans were saying the same thing before the series started too.

And I'm sorry, but even if they had an "easy" round one, I just don't think that flip was being switched. Like I've said some of the same problems they've had all season bit them in the backside. Why would that all of a sudden change in 2 weeks?

Old
05-06-2012, 10:23 PM
MtlPenFan

Watching this series is making me weep for all the right reasons:

Go back and look at the '09 Cup run, Devil's forecheck is the exact same one we were using back then.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
This is a completely different Flyers team. I'm quite surprised right now.
This is what i don't understand, why i've been arguing with people about the Flyers since the first round. To me, this is exactly the same Flyers team they've been the entire time. They play with a lot of emotion and push the attack as hard as possible, but they are terrible positionally and have no defensive structure, and their goaltending is average to god-awful. Against a team that plays disciplined and likes to possess the puck, they get exposed. The Pens AND their system should have been a perfect foil to the Flyers, but instead a lot of our players abandoned their system and their discipline and got sucked into a track meet. The Flyers deserve to be in the second round, but they're far from a Stanley Cup team, and now that they're playing a team willing to play playoff hockey, they're starting to figure it out.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:34 PM
OGBobbyFarnham

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
I'm sure NJ fans were saying the same thing before the series started too.

And I'm sorry, but even if they had an "easy" round one, I just don't think that flip was being switched. Like I've said some of the same problems they've had all season bit them in the backside. Why would that all of a sudden change in 2 weeks?
I hear you. There was obvious holes but they were blown apart versus the team that had our number all year. I just don't think those holes would've been as evident versus anyone else other than the Flyers over a 7 game series.

Doesn't really matter now but it's just my opinion.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:55 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jorgi View Post
The Pens AND their system should have been a perfect foil to the Flyers, but instead a lot of our players abandoned their system and their discipline and got sucked into a track meet. The Flyers deserve to be in the second round, but they're far from a Stanley Cup team, and now that they're playing a team willing to play playoff hockey, they're starting to figure it out.
The Pens' system was to play as up-tempo a game as possible. The problem is that the Flyers have more players that can play a fast game at a skilled level than the Pens do. When the Pens play try to play Disco hockey, the Flyers beat them. Bylsma didn't address this all season, which is why the Pens lost both the season and playoff series so handily.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Weakside Lock
Trade Malkin???

Quote:
LMAO @ the hypocritical Cryers. I swear if any of them ever complains about Sid again they should get a rusty skate to the nuts:

Sam Carchidi ‏ @BroadStBull
Briere said he is most surprised by #Devils' slashes to the hands. #Flyers
What?

Old
05-06-2012, 10:56 PM
sexyllama

Quote:
Indeed... I don't know how either of these teams gets to the Finals.

Both Pens & Philly:
Team Defense = Barely watchable
Goalie = Shaky on their best games...

Old
05-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Rico Fatastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
The Pens' system was to play as up-tempo a game as possible. The problem is that the Flyers have more players that can play a fast game at a skilled level than the Pens do. When the Pens play try to play Disco hockey, the Flyers beat them. Bylsma didn't address this all season, which is why the Pens lost both the season and playoff series so handily.
I'm not so sure about that. We outplayed and outscored them by a pretty healthy margin at even strength. We lost the series on special teams more than anything else.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:04 PM
KaylaJ
I like stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyllama View Post
Indeed... I don't know how either of these teams gets to the Finals.

Both Pens & Philly:
Team Defense = Barely watchable
Goalie = Shaky on their best games...

If Philly can't make a comeback, it's a good example of that saying of how you can win the battle, but lose the war.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:06 PM
OGBobbyFarnham

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMoranFanclub View Post
I'm not so sure about that. We outplayed and outscored them by a pretty healthy margin at even strength. We lost the series on special teams more than anything else.
Thats what makes it so bizarre to me. We had zero answers on the PK. ZERO. For a top 3 PK. It was nutty.

Not to mention the shorties we gave up.

Closed Thread