HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL 2011-2012 - IT'S PLAYOFF TIME!!! ‎Pt. II, Kings vs Devils for the Cup

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-06-2012, 11:11 PM
  #276
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,237
vCash: 500
Seeing Philly down 3-1 is good for the soul.

End it swiftly, NJ, and make my summer.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now  
Old
05-06-2012, 11:17 PM
  #277
Uncle Jorgi
Registered User
 
Uncle Jorgi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cranberry Twp, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
The Pens' system was to play as up-tempo a game as possible. The problem is that the Flyers have more players that can play a fast game at a skilled level than the Pens do. When the Pens play try to play Disco hockey, the Flyers beat them. Bylsma didn't address this all season, which is why the Pens lost both the season and playoff series so handily.
Disco hockey isn't about selling out to go all offense, all the time. It's about forechecking hard, backchecking hard, possessing the puck the majority of the time, and when the opposition has the puck, taking away their time and space and getting the puck back as quickly as possible. The system that DB wants his team to play is not in any way the same one the Flyers are playing ... it just appeared that way, because a lot of the players were ****ing up. We gave them far too much room to skate and tried to make a lot of low percentage plays, and had no focus on our positioning and responsibilities. None of those are typical trademarks of Disco hockey.

Uncle Jorgi is offline  
Old
05-06-2012, 11:51 PM
  #278
sexyllama
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jorgi View Post
Disco hockey isn't about selling out to go all offense, all the time. It's about forechecking hard, backchecking hard, possessing the puck the majority of the time, and when the opposition has the puck, taking away their time and space and getting the puck back as quickly as possible. The system that DB wants his team to play is not in any way the same one the Flyers are playing ... it just appeared that way, because a lot of the players were ****ing up. We gave them far too much room to skate and tried to make a lot of low percentage plays, and had no focus on our positioning and responsibilities. None of those are typical trademarks of Disco hockey.
So, for three years of Playoffs we've yet to see Disco hockey?

Hopefully, we'll see it next year...

sexyllama is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 12:12 AM
  #279
71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Moundsville, WV
Country: United States
Posts: 5,647
vCash: 500
Would advise to go look at former Cryers defenseman and current analyst, Chris Therien's twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/#!/ctherien6



Class all the way around in that organization.

71 is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 12:34 AM
  #280
KaylaJ
Tungsten!
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 14,212
vCash: 500
he's apologizing for it now. of course that probably doesn't stop many of his followers from blindly supporting his stupidity and telling people to lighten up. taking jabs at people in a rivalry is fine, but taking it to that level? seriously?

KaylaJ is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 12:49 AM
  #281
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,812
vCash: 500
As if you needed another reason to think that Jagr is a self absorbed *******. But here it is:

“I came back and I tied it with a minute and a half to go and then I scored in overtime. That was probably my best game ever, I would say. My most important for sure. I’ll probably never score a goal that important. Probably if I hadn’t scored, the team wouldn’t be in Pittsburgh right now. (Sidney) Crosby would be in Kansas City.”

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-the-penguins/

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 02:50 AM
  #282
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,812
vCash: 500
It seems that Giroux thinks that Zubrus 'leaned' his head into Giroux's shoulder, totally ignoring how he *****ed at the officials all the way up the ice then chased Zubrus down and obviously targetted his head. Then he follows it up with a whine fest that 'they were doing it to'. Some leaders they grow there in Philly.

Then, later, when asked specifically about a review by Shanahan, Giroux said, "I think I should be fine. He was leaning in. At the same time, [the Devils' Anton] Volchenkov also hit [the Flyers' Wayne] Simmonds in the face with an elbow. They can look at that one, too."

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/sports/150387545.html

Heh, the guy 'leaned into me' after I chased him down and targetted his head is fun stuff, eh? Kind of reminds me of the guy who 'accidently' ran his wife over 92 times.

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 04:36 AM
  #283
Saku11
Registered User
 
Saku11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
It seems that Giroux thinks that Zubrus 'leaned' his head into Giroux's shoulder, totally ignoring how he *****ed at the officials all the way up the ice then chased Zubrus down and obviously targetted his head. Then he follows it up with a whine fest that 'they were doing it to'. Some leaders they grow there in Philly.
This, imagine if this was Sid , but oh wait:Sid would never try to take the head out of the opponents body. Giroux is a weasel and a joke.

Saku11 is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 04:40 AM
  #284
Saku11
Registered User
 
Saku11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
As if you needed another reason to think that Jagr is a self absorbed *******. But here it is:

“I came back and I tied it with a minute and a half to go and then I scored in overtime. That was probably my best game ever, I would say. My most important for sure. I’ll probably never score a goal that important. Probably if I hadn’t scored, the team wouldn’t be in Pittsburgh right now. (Sidney) Crosby would be in Kansas City.”

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-the-penguins/
"I dont want to talk about Crosby, i dont care" And now again he pulls Crosby in to his blog or whatever.

Saku11 is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 06:06 AM
  #285
Stefan8263
Registered User
 
Stefan8263's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
The Pens/Flyers still remains a head scratcher to me. Total bizzaro playoff hockey. Firmly believe, if we had somehow gotten past the Flyers we'd be cruising, somewhat, to the Finals.
Yeah right. I think the Pens believed exactly that from day one of the Play-Offs, which totally explains their monumental collapse. Give other teams credit and take each team serious and you have a much better chance at winning Cups. The Pens were so full of themselves that they never really recovered when they learned other teams can play too.

Stefan8263 is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 06:22 AM
  #286
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
LMAO @ the hypocritical Cryers. I swear if any of them ever complains about Sid again they should get a rusty skate to the nuts:

Sam Carchidi ‏ @BroadStBull
Briere said he is most surprised by #Devils' slashes to the hands. #Flyers
Pretty rich coming from a guy who has been suspended twice for his stick work.

wej20 is online now  
Old
05-07-2012, 06:44 AM
  #287
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 68,722
vCash: 50
Not to mention the countless dives that Briere has made.

Shrimper is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 08:03 AM
  #288
SherogoesHAM
Registered User
 
SherogoesHAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 216
vCash: 500
"Best player in the world" Claude Giroux with 3pts in 4 games. One series superstar, PP specialist.

Malkin played 75 regular seasons and had 75 ESP. Giroux played even more games and had 53 ESP.

SherogoesHAM is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 08:40 AM
  #289
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
Jagr Blog:

"Giroux Only Hurts Himself"

MtlPenFan is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 09:09 AM
  #290
NastyNick
Registered User
 
NastyNick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
The Penguins would have been ridden into the ground by Jersey as well. The Devils are playing the right way, the way our team was designed to be playing. In the playoffs its all about puck control and frustrating the opponent. Having Brodeur back there to play the puck is a massive upgrade over having Fleury back there crapping himself behind the net.

Throw in a forecheck that is persistent and not trying to force offense off the rush, and you have a system designed to beat anyone. The Flyers got into some bad habits in their series against us. Right now they are paying the price. Should we have gotten past them in 7, i think it'd be the same situation. If the Flyers turn this series around it'll be because they played the same way as Jersey.

Right now i'd say the Penguins biggest problems are as follows:

1. Goaltending, poor in the net and out of the net. Fleury is just bad. I'd take a goalie who could do either thing well right now, but you can't prevail with a goalie who sucks at both.
2. Lack of commitment by the forwards to play the cycle. Malkin was a giant offender here. Crosby to some degree as well. You can score buckets off the rush, but you can also turn the puck over and get scored on just as much. Playing the system, getting zone time, those things are more important in the long run. Dump and chase. It should be in their DNA. I see Kovalchuk doing it for Jersey. If he can, so can Malkin.


I can't blame the PK or the PP because Jersey hasn't been much better in either. They've mitigated that weakness by playing dominating even strength hockey.

NastyNick is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 09:22 AM
  #291
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.
 
Harv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 5,526
vCash: 500
Crosby is the whiner. Suurreee..


Harv is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 10:05 AM
  #292
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,990
vCash: 50
So much drama....man I can't wait until the Flyers are out.

**** that joke of a franchise.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 10:15 AM
  #293
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNick View Post
The Penguins would have been ridden into the ground by Jersey as well. The Devils are playing the right way, the way our team was designed to be playing. In the playoffs its all about puck control and frustrating the opponent. Having Brodeur back there to play the puck is a massive upgrade over having Fleury back there crapping himself behind the net.

Throw in a forecheck that is persistent and not trying to force offense off the rush, and you have a system designed to beat anyone. The Flyers got into some bad habits in their series against us. Right now they are paying the price. Should we have gotten past them in 7, i think it'd be the same situation. If the Flyers turn this series around it'll be because they played the same way as Jersey.

Right now i'd say the Penguins biggest problems are as follows:

1. Goaltending, poor in the net and out of the net. Fleury is just bad. I'd take a goalie who could do either thing well right now, but you can't prevail with a goalie who sucks at both.
2. Lack of commitment by the forwards to play the cycle. Malkin was a giant offender here. Crosby to some degree as well. You can score buckets off the rush, but you can also turn the puck over and get scored on just as much. Playing the system, getting zone time, those things are more important in the long run. Dump and chase. It should be in their DNA. I see Kovalchuk doing it for Jersey. If he can, so can Malkin.


I can't blame the PK or the PP because Jersey hasn't been much better in either. They've mitigated that weakness by playing dominating even strength hockey.
That is not entirely fair. Fluery not only can, but has, won a cup.



He also played very well during the regular season. To judge him by a very small window of an off playoff preformance over five games is pretty unfair and short sighted.

I would bet dimes to dollars any Cryer fan would trade their decade long signed expensive goalie for him in a heartbeat.

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 10:16 AM
  #294
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,812
vCash: 500
Giroux faces hearing with Dept. of Player Safety
Monday, 05.07.2012 / 10:39 AM / Flyers vs Devils - 2012 Stanley Cup Conference Semifinals

NHL.com

Flyers forward Claude Giroux faces a hearing Monday morning with the NHL's Department of Player Safety for his illegal check to the head penalty against Dainius Zubrus at the 19:56 mark of the second period of their Eastern Conference Semifinal against the New Jersey Devils on Sunday night.


http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=630851





Nice!

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 10:32 AM
  #295
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On
 
TheRollingPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Giroux faces hearing with Dept. of Player Safety
Monday, 05.07.2012 / 10:39 AM / Flyers vs Devils - 2012 Stanley Cup Conference Semifinals

NHL.com

Flyers forward Claude Giroux faces a hearing Monday morning with the NHL's Department of Player Safety for his illegal check to the head penalty against Dainius Zubrus at the 19:56 mark of the second period of their Eastern Conference Semifinal against the New Jersey Devils on Sunday night.


http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=630851





Nice!
Crosby is still the dirtiest between the two. After all, he punched Valabik in the sack during a scrum

TheRollingPuck is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 10:33 AM
  #296
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarDefense View Post
Crosby is still the dirtiest between the two. After all, he punched Valabik in the sack during a scrum
Kevin Paul Dupont‏@GlobeKPD

Getting vibe this morn that Giroux will face suspension for Game 4 head shot. Good thing.


If you thought that Philly fans were crybabies before, watch the tantrums hit a new level.

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 10:38 AM
  #297
Uncle Jorgi
Registered User
 
Uncle Jorgi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cranberry Twp, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyllama View Post
So, for three years of Playoffs we've yet to see Disco hockey?

Hopefully, we'll see it next year...
I'll recap the years for you in case you didn't bother to watch them.

2 years ago, they played the system pretty well for the most part, unfortunately Montreal played their system even better, and kept our scoring chances to the less dangerous areas. At the same time, Halak was playing like god, and Fleury was playing like an ECHL quality goalie, so the fact that we kept them from the prime scoring areas as well didn't mean a whole lot, because they were scoring goals from those areas. Loss in 7.

Last year, our entire offense had basically been neutered due to injury, but we were playing a revised version of DB's system very well, and maintained a high seed going into the playoffs as a result (the reason Disco won the Adams). We played very well as a team the first half of the series, got up 3-1, mailed it in in game 5, and then just couldn't manufacture enough offense to be a factor in the final 2 games. Game 7 was a perfect microcosm for the entire series ... one missed assignment defensively on a creative pass from behind the net was all they needed to win the game, because our offense was nonexistent. They were running a 1-3-1, and we were rolling out a first line of Neal-Letestu-Kovalev. Enough said.

This year, as far as i could tell, at no point were we attempting to play ANY system, much less our own. A top rated PK unit was routinely running out of position and double covering one player and leaving other players wide open. Defenseman had horrific gap control, were making terrible reads, were failing to cut off cross ice passes even when they were in position to do so, weren't bearing down enough on their clear attempts, and generally were playing brainless as a whole with the exception of Nisky, Despres and Strait in their limited time, who i thought acquitted themselves very well in comparison. Forwards were getting caught up in trying to force turnovers, since Philly was no great shakes at protecting the puck themselves, and consequently weren't paying enough attention to getting into the correct passing lanes and providing back pressure to the counter-attacking forwards and providing the defense with some help. And let's not even talk about the goaltending, i think we've been over that ad nauseum. If you actually believe all of this has nothing to do with guys like Fleury, Orpik, Martin and Michalek playing awful and the forwards getting duped into a free-wheeling chance trading game, and instead was actually a new system the coaching staff was employing because they apparently believed ****** goaltending and complete breakdowns in defensive structure was the best way to win in the playoffs, then i don't know what to tell you, because you're beyond help.

Uncle Jorgi is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 10:45 AM
  #298
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,812
vCash: 500
Yeah, I have no clue what the Pens were doing in the playoffs this year. They looked like they said '**** it, Crosby is back, we can be the 80's Oilers again' and just flew up and down the ice and defense or odd man breaks the other way be damned. Which to be honest, during the regular season is fine with me. The regular season means nothing, as shown by these (and previous) playoffs where all the top seeds are gone or on the ropes. It is a blast to watch, but in the playoffs? They went into moron mode. And sure, Bylsma deserves some blame for that if not a lot of it. But again, reading too much into it, blow up the team, blah blah blah is silly. Keep some perspecitve.

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 10:58 AM
  #299
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,990
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Kevin Paul Dupont‏@GlobeKPD

Getting vibe this morn that Giroux will face suspension for Game 4 head shot. Good thing.


If you thought that Philly fans were crybabies before, watch the tantrums hit a new level.
Should anything happen, I'll be ready to pass out the beers and popcorn.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline  
Old
05-07-2012, 11:04 AM
  #300
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Should anything happen, I'll be ready to pass out the beers and popcorn.
If it were the regular season it would have been at least two, likely three games, because of the clear intent and that it was done in anger, almost textbook predatory hit to the head with intent to injure.

Post season, not so sure, though the league has not hesitated to suspend key players in key playoff games before. The Neal suspension was almost the same scenerio, elimination game, and not only Neal but two others were suspended for the Pens. So would not be surprised if Giroux sat this one out. Especially given that there was indeed a hearing.

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.