HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Bergevin named new Canadiens GM

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Bergevin worked for Dudley in Chicago ..

Dudley really really supported Bergevin throughout this process .. he called Bergevin "Amongst the top 1% in terms of talent evaluators in the world"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Hes basically the guy that taught Bergevin how to scout I think. He also called Bergevin the top 1% of talent evaluators hes ever seen on Montreal radio.
Thanks

Old
05-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Love Lapointe. Met him once when I was younger and he was a real cool guy.
Marty is a solid guy.

Got a lot of grief in Boston because of his contract but it wasn't his fault Jacobs got into a beef with Illich and wanted to take his UFA at any cost.

He mentored and had Patrice Bergeron live with him in his first year with the Bruins.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
From Dregger:

Leafs haven't been asked by Habs to speak to Rick Dudley. But, expect Dudley and Marty Lapointe to be among Bergevin's early hires.

Love it!
Martin Lapointe?

If I remember correctly, the guy belittled Montreal years ago: too much pressure, life was easier outside of Montreal... that kind of crap. This could turn out to be Higgins (during his last year with us, he often rolled eyes during interviews while mumbling "you know it is Montreal…") all over again! Laraque also comes to mind: he wrote 10-12 years ago, an article on rds. The subject was: too much pressure in Montreal, crazy fans...

Montreal is not a market for everyone; I am not sure that Martin Lapointe has the necessary tools to cope with it.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:00 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Good news.

I'm mostly pleased with the process Geoff Molson has done since firing Pierre Gauthier. Hiring Serge Savard, the man who brought to Montreal the last two Stanley Cups, to help him with the hockey decision was key.

Then from what we've heard, they've done their due diligence by interviewing and talking to a good number of candidates, bilingual or not, to finally narrow it down to three.

Pierre McGuire and Julien BriseBois were informed this morning that they were not selected, and that in itself, while normal, is a refreshing news in comparison to the way things have been handled under Gauthier, especially last year.

It seems like Bergevin is the candidate who shares Molson and Savard's vision for this team. He now has to find a new head coach, prepare for the draft and the free agents seasons, while negotiating two key contracts with Carey Price and PK Subban.

Welcome to Montreal Marc!
Very well put. Hopefully we get back to being the class act we were before.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
Old
FinnHab

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...cultural-slide

Quote:
When Marc Bergevin, the new GM of the Montreal Canadiens, retired from hockey, he called his old pal Dale Tallon and told him that he was making a list of guys he would like to work for in an off-ice role.
“And he said, guess what, you made the list,” Tallon recalled with a laugh Wednesday morning shortly after Bergevin’s hiring had been made official.
“Right away I said, OK, I’ve got to hire this guy,” the Florida Panthers GM said.

Quote:
Tallon certainly feels Bergevin possesses all the qualities that will make him a success in Montreal, including being able to communicate. “I think it’s very important not just in Montreal but everywhere. It’s hockey, it’s supposed to be fun, it’s supposed to be entertainment,” Tallon said. “Bergy’s got the right personality for that."

Sadly for Canadiens fans, there haven’t been many fun days in Montreal the past couple of years. Still, Tallon believes Bergevin’s personality won’t just make him popular but successful as well.
“He never has a bad day,” Tallon said. “He loves people and people love him. He gets a lot of information. People volunteer information to him.” Healy agrees, saying that Bergevin’s connection to the game, how players play and think, will put him in good stead.

Old
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

I'm happy with the pick. I wanted a hockey mind and open personality first and foremost and it look like Bergevin fit the criteria.

Now it's going to be interesting to see who he surround himself with. A number guy/capologist is probably a good idea since apparently it's not Bergevin strong suit (as per himself). I also agree with McGuire that the Pro Scouting department need a complete overhaul.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:01 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I hope Bergevin decides to bring the best people now and not his little buddies.
It's normal to bring in your ''buddies'' because you know what they are worth and you know you'll be confortable working with them.

It's tough to evaluate how competent is someone based on an interview and on reputation alone.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Nakamura
私はクソの葉を憎む

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Wasn't he the GM of Atlanta that got Byfuglien from Chicago a few yrs back?
And Ladd.. then was let go by the Winnipeg group..

Old
05-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Martin Lapointe?

If I remember correctly, the guy belittled Montreal years ago: too much pressure, life was easier outside of Montreal... that kind of crap. This could turn out to be Higgins (during his last year with us, he often rolled eyes during interviews while mumbling "you know it is Montreal…") all over again! Laraque also comes to mind: he wrote 10-12 years ago, an article on rds. The subject was: too much pressure in Montreal, crazy fans...

Montreal is not a market for everyone; I am not sure that Martin Lapointe has the necessary tools to cope with it.
Lapointe wouldn't be in the limelight. You're talking about a scouting position. No pressure falls on him.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
It's normal to bring in your ''buddies'' because you know what they are worth and you know you'll be confortable working with them.

It's tough to evaluate how competent is someone based on an interview and on reputation alone.
Especially when these "buddies" are co-workers.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

Sorry to beat a dead horse if it has already been mentioned multiple times here . . .

But do you expect Bergevin to fire/let go all the coaches and put in his own bench? (Asking and curious as a close friend of one of them Assistants, Ladouceur)

Old
05-02-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post

I have no problem if he hires some guys he worked with that have experience and did a good job.

If he pulls a Gainey and hires an unexperienced guy like Guy Carbonneau (at the time) for example though...

Old
05-02-2012, 11:10 AM
HabsSlappy

What is amazing about this hire is that it appeases both the pro-anglo, pro-franco and pro-bilingual people. He is one of the best guys out there in my opinion regardless of the language he speaks.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:10 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins Stooge View Post
But do you expect Bergevin to fire/let go all the coaches and put in his own bench? (Asking and curious as a close friend of one of them Assistants, Ladouceur)
Nobody knows how Bergevin will handle things.

They only know of his strengths and weaknesses in other roles.

He hasn't yet had the power to hire or fire.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Sorry to beat a dead horse if it has already been mentioned multiple times here . . .

I expect Cunneyworth to not be re-signed so the next coach will have to decide if he keeps Ladouceur as one of his assistants IMO.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Andy

McGuire is really going to have to change his approach. Always 2nd place, but no one cares about 2nd place.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:14 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
McGuire is really going to have to change his approach. Always 2nd place, but no one cares about 2nd place.
Mcguire doesn't have to change a thing .. he has one of the best jobs in hockey broadcasting and he is being considered for fantastic GM jobs.

Marinaro listed today all the jobs Mcguire has turned down when they were offered to him, including Assistant GM of the Penguins in 2006 .. the guy is not working in the NHL Not because nobody wants him like people think, but because HE chooses not to.

He has an amazing job he would only consider leaving for a GM job.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:17 AM
tinyzombies

I know friends of his. This is a great choice. He is well-liked throughout the league and will be able to get things done for us. Intelligent guy who has done it all in the league. Great job Mr. Savard!

Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Mcguire doesn't have to change a thing .. he has one of the best jobs in hockey broadcasting and he is being considered for fantastic GM jobs.

Marinaro listed today all the jobs Mcguire has turned down when they were offered to him, including Assistant GM of the Penguins in 2006 .. the guy is not working in the NHL Not because nobody wants him like people think, but because HE chooses not to.

But he proves he doesn't want to learn the ropes .............

Old
Protest the Hero

Quote:

Quote:
@DarrenDreger: Tough task for Bergevin. First task...fire coach. He won't let Cunneyworth and others twist in wind. Changes will be made swiftly.
This is just speculation by Dreger, but it's expected that he brings in at least a new head coach. The assistants will probably be up to the new head coach to hire/fire.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
if he wants back in he's going to have to start lower than GM and prove himself

Old
Kriss E

Quote:

Well, he keeps getting passed over as GM, so that doesn't look good.
Especially that his biggest set back is probably his huge lack of experience. So if he really is serious about becoming a GM, he should really think about doing something differently.

Old
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
People shouldn't be looking at that. Gainey is a HoF, his teams didn't really resembled the way he played.
I'd suggest to look at Chicago's teams while Bergevin has worked there. Even if it wasn't him that build those teams from beginning to end, they always had tough players there.
The yahoo puckdaddy that was linked earlier, contained a link to the original article where Bowman talked about Bergevin.

This is the total paragraph to what he said regarding Bergevin:
Quote:
Q. Good franchises lose good people. And good franchises have good people waiting in the wings.

A. Like Marc Bergevin, our new assistant general manager. Not every player who played 20 years in the NHL is willing to put on a jacket and tie and report to work for a completely different career, but he’s been building toward this. He’s got an eye for talent, he’s got great people skills, and he wants to grow. He is honest in admitting that he doesn’t have a complete grasp of numbers and the salary cap, but he doesn’t say, “Oh, I can’t do that.” He takes it as a challenge to learn it. The sky is the limit for Marc.

But back to your point. Here is another relevant question from that same article regarding toughness & sandpaper.

Quote:
Q. You said after last season that you elicited input from your core players.

A. We did. I had a feeling for what we were lacking. Then we met with the coaches, who were pretty much in keeping with what I thought. Then our players had their say, and it’s as though we were all pointing in the same direction. We all felt we needed a few guys with more “sandpaper,” as it has been called. I think it’s important that coaches know you will listen and likewise for the players. Now, if you do everything they say, then why do they need me? But they have the perspective of being on the ice, in the games and in the locker room, and I value their input. Why would you not want their opinions?

What I really like about this is that its proactive. The players know first hand what its like to be on the ice. The fact that he was part of an organization that was taking their input makes me hope we can expect more communication with the players and coaches and management. And communication with the fan base.

However my favourite thing I like about Begevin so far, is in the Globe & Mail article that was linked earlier.

Quote:
“It meant so much to me,” he told Verdi. “As a child, I took off school to sit on my cousin’s shoulders for the parade in Montreal. A year after I left the Red Wings, they win the Cup in 1997. A year after I left the Tampa Bay Lightning, they win the Cup in 2004. That’s the year I retired, with Vancouver. Many of my friends, like Mario, won the Cup and invited me to parties. I never went. The year Anaheim won, in 2007, I was scouting for Chicago. Third period, I had to leave. I couldn’t watch. That’s why I was so emotional in Philadelphia. I was a mess.”

That's the kind of passion I want our players to have. I hope he can spread the passion through the organization, players and fanbase.

I honestly don't care who he hires, he's got my support no matter what for now. He wasn't my favourite guy because of his lack of experience but now that more people are talking about him, all we are hearing is good things and I love everything I hear.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
He's a pro scout in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Lapointe wouldn't be in the limelight. You're talking about a scouting position. No pressure falls on him.
I did not know that he was (is?) a pro scout for Chicago. Btw... is he? I don't see his name here: http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=47745

That being mentioned his old comments (see my previous post) are a minor but real source of concerns - "red flags" seem to be the words of the day for me! - I want people who fully embrace and feed on Montreal's passion. Not people who rolls eyes and mumble "only in Montreal".

However and as mentioned by Kriss E, he wouldn't be in the limelight.

Heck... I will admit a negative bias towards Lapointe. I was a huge fan of his play during his career and always considered him as a possible acquisition for "my" Canadiens. His comments really pissed me off!

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 05-02-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old
05-02-2012, 11:23 AM
tinyzombies

SANDPAPER.... I LIKE that. No more skilled circus midgets, but a TEAM.

Closed Thread