HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Bergevin named new Canadiens GM

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=630411

Old
05-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
What I really like about this is that its proactive. The players know first hand what its like to be on the ice. The fact that he was part of an organization that was taking their input makes me hope we can expect more communication with the players and coaches and management. And communication with the fan base.
Those two words alone are making me feel pretty good about this move so far.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:30 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Funniest guy in the League when he played. I could see him returning to some of his classic pranks at GM meetings. He'll liven things up, for sure!

Old
05-02-2012, 11:34 AM
tinyzombies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HukaZ...feature=relmfu

Early interview. Gotta like how he talks about winners and structure at such a young age. Obviously, he's going to hire someone cutting edge as coach. Step in the right direction for Montreal. I know some people who know him and they say he's a fantastic, bright guy. And he learned his chops from Bowman.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I'm ****ing happy for our organization and us fans. We have a guy who comes from a winning environnement and most importantly, helped building a contender for MANY MANY years to come.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Mcguire doesn't have to change a thing .. he has one of the best jobs in hockey broadcasting and he is being considered for fantastic GM jobs.

Marinaro listed today all the jobs Mcguire has turned down when they were offered to him, including Assistant GM of the Penguins in 2006 .. the guy is not working in the NHL Not because nobody wants him like people think, but because HE chooses not to.

He has an amazing job he would only consider leaving for a GM job.
I have a feeling that in this case, McGuire and Bergevin probably had very similar ideas on how to win and what steps needed to be taken to revamp the team. If that were true, then McGuire was simply up against a more experienced, a more current, and I hate to say it, but a more bilingual candidate in Bergevin.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I'm ****ing happy for our organization and us fans. We have a guy who comes from a winning environnement and most importantly, helped building a contender for MANY MANY years to come.
Help build a contender was mostly with the Hawks sucking and drafting high resulting in that great core of players cause they also gave out some terrible contracts to guys like Campbell and Huet. Not to take anything away from Bergevin cause I really like him but he didn't really help build that winner....

Old
05-02-2012, 11:41 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Help build a contender was mostly with the Hawks sucking and drafting high resulting in that great core of players cause they also gave out some terrible contracts to guys like Campbell and Huet. Not to take anything away from Bergevin cause I really like him but he didn't really help build that winner....
I agree, it was pretty much already in place by the time he got there. He had very little to nothing to do with the Cup win. But I do like Stan Bowman's management style. So I like what Bergevin learnt from there, I think its equally if not more important.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I was absolutely ecstatic when I heard Marc Bergevin was one of the candidates for Habs GM. I am now even happier that he's the new GM of the club.

Last edited by Ollie Williams: 05-02-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old
05-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
Funniest guy in the League when he played. I could see him returning to some of his classic pranks at GM meetings. He'll liven things up, for sure!
His first prank should be holding a press conference with the francophone media telling them that whoever he hires as coach will be a uniligual anglophone.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:49 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
I thought they made a mistake letting Byfuglien go and giving the money to Hjalmstromm or whatever his name is. That was a massive error. Buff was a big reason why they had net presence. And they spread out the money on soft Euros and goons to make up for it, when they basically had the skill, size and meanness all in one package already.. they just had to pay the right guy.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I thought they made a mistake letting Byfuglien go and giving the money to Hjalmstromm or whatever his name is. That was a massive error. Buff was a big reason why they had net presence. And they spread out the money on soft Euros and goons to make up for it, when they basically had the skill, size and meanness all in one package already.. they just had to pay the right guy.
They just managed the cap horribly, needed to move Ladd and Buff in result. I would have let him go to San Jose as well taken the picks and kept Buff and Ladd

Old
05-02-2012, 11:53 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Their biggest mistake was not matching the offer from San Jose for Niemi. They can score goals without Byfuglien. Crawford and company can't stop pucks.

Well one thing is for sure, Timmins doesn't seem to like Grigorenko, and I doubt Bergevin really likes him. Don't expect him to be a Hab.

Old
HomaridII

Marinaro just said Bergevin will be on NHL Live later today ..

Does anyone know what is NHL live?

Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Their biggest mistake was not matching the offer from San Jose for Niemi. They can score goals without Byfuglien. Crawford and company can't stop pucks.
Niemi wasn't really good either and has done squat for the Sharks. I would have let him go as well. Problems started years ago when they though Huet was actually a good goalie

Old
05-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Marinaro just said Bergevin will be on NHL Live later today ..

Does anyone know what is NHL live?
I believe it's on the NHL Network

Old
05-02-2012, 11:56 AM
EmelinHipCheck

vCash: 300
Presser will be held at 2P.M. on TSN.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:57 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Niemi wasn't really good either and has done squat for the Sharks. I would have let him go as well. Problems started years ago when they though Huet was actually a good goalie
Lol what? Niemi has been great for the Sharks. SV% of .920 and .914 with GAA under 2.45 both seasons.

He carried that team into the playoffs his first season when they started the year terribly.

Old
Bullsmith

Quote:
I agree. I thought Buff was a huge part of their cup win and a key tool who can deal with montster D in the Pronger/Chara role. But then Winnipeg shifted him back to D himself, which I certainly never saw coming, so even the team that got him didn't use him in anything like the role Chicago had.

Frankly Chicago made some mistakes in dealing with their cap issues after winning the cup, and in the core they iced this year. But at the same time they made themselves maybe the deepest, most talented roster in the league before being unable to afford to keep it together. That's the kind of problem I'd love the Habs to have to face, and I'd be pretty forgiving of mistakes along the way.

Old
tinyzombies

Quote:
Niemi has played well in San Jose.

They mismanaged the cap. That is the big problem. Hopefully he'll get a capologist.

I don't care if we draft Grigorenko or not, as long as we get a stud. I'd be fine with Murray. Markov only has a couple years left. Forsberg looks good, but he's small.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:58 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:

They mismanaged the cap. That is the big problem. Hopefully he'll get a capologist.
I'll take a mismanaged cap with a Stanley Cup, please? Thanks waiter.

Old
Habsfan18

I'm perfectly fine with this.

Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Lol what? Niemi has been great for the Sharks. SV% of .920 and .914 with GAA under 2.45 both seasons.
Not in the playoffs. He didn't take the Sharks to the next level. It's not only his fault that guys like Marleau didn't show up either but Niemi never really stole a game

Old
05-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:

There's various problems. They had to overpay because of an oversight on qualifying offers. They had a guy like Huet that couldn't play up to his contract.

But overall they didn't really mismanage. They faced a problem any team with a lot of talent has, you can't pay everyone.

Old
05-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

I don't care if we draft Grigorenko or not, as long as we get a stud. I'd be fine with Murray. Markov only has a couple years left. Forsberg looks good, but he's small.
I don't know maybe it's just me but I don't find Niemi anything special

Yes they screwed that up hard in Chicago

Personally I hope it's Galchenyuk but we shall see in a few weeks

Closed Thread