HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rick Dudley named assistant GM in Montreal

Old
05-02-2012, 05:41 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

vCash: 500
Obviously a plant.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:45 PM
WTFMAN99

I think this might be the kind of move that is held off on until after the draft or maybe even free agency due to what Dudley knows probably...

WTFMAN99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Evileye

If Dudley is under contract to the Leafs then no, he should not be given permission to talk to the Habs - not only are they a conference/division rival, they are the Habs.
If it was a Western team - no problem.
If the Habs want him, it should cost a draft pick at least.

Evileye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I love this board . You guys haven't a clue what Loiselle or Dudley do in their every day job BUT you want to keep Dudley and give Loiselle.
yeah, pretty much.

dudley has this terrific reputation, but what exactly is his track record? there must be numerous examples of the wonderful things he's done?

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barilko14 View Post
Not that i disagree with you, but those aren't great examples of his talent evaluation. Taking players where they were almost unanimously picked to go should not get praised.

His work with Byfuglien, and believing in St. Loius are among the achievements he deserves praise for.
What work with Byfuglien?

He acquired a guy coming off dominant playoff run as 1st line PF and moved him back to defense

He is a offensively talented pylon who hurts his team as much as he helps on blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I am just bringing out moves from my mind, but yes those are the most well known moves. Wasn't Ladd a move by him? I mean that guy was awesome
Yes Dudley acquired Ladd in summer of 2010 as well

1st (Hayes) + 2nd (Holl) + Morin + junk for Byfuglien + Sopel (cap dump) + junk

and

Ladd for Vishnevskiy + 2nd (Clendening)

Still happy with Buff trade ,, Not happy with Ladd trade as he is missed by Hawks but with cap situation Hawks faced they were forced to do soemthing. Ivan went back to Russia so that sucked ,, Clendening looks promising though

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:10 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evileye View Post
If Dudley is under contract to the Leafs then no, he should not be given permission to talk to the Habs - not only are they a conference/division rival, they are the Habs.
If it was a Western team - no problem.
If the Habs want him, it should cost a draft pick at least.
This.

If the Habs call, the answer should be "no," or if they prefer "non."

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:49 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

This thread rules. I love how our HF GM's are close to the front office and the real GM's. What do they take in their coffee? I'd love to pick their brains one of these days.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Now Dreger says Dudley and Savard, he also said word from
the street. Not Lapointe anymore?

Permission would have to be given, for him to be spoken with.
It depends if Dudley wants to move really. Burke will do what is
good for business, to keep the peace among GM, retaining contacts.

I don't want to lose him, but Nonis is the only one who is already,
known that he cannot be spoken to. Burke either will or will not change
his mind.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:19 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I'd personally prefer Dudley as Leafs GM.

Dudley should consider all his options closely as you never know when the next GM position will open up.
Do you think the Habs would not let him go if he was offered the GM job in Toronto?

I understand the fact he would have left Toronto voluntarily could play a negative role and that might be your concern.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:34 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
They certainly don't mind their English-Ontarian players though.

Hypocrites.
How does that make any (reasonable) sense?

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Stephen

I don't really care if we lose anybody on staff. I mean, most teams get by with a single GM running the show, with an assistant to help out, but somehow we have a Burke, Nonis, Dudley, Loiselle, Poulin and Fletcher to hang out with the boys?

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
This.

If the Habs call, the answer should be "no," or if they prefer "non."

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Busher Jackson
4x 1st Team Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickolopolous View Post
I find it hilarious that the Montreal Canadiens, the most storied franchise in NHL history, hire based on language first, skill-set second. I thought the purpose was to win, not appease a group of irrational purists. I'm sure their new bilingual GM will do wonders, though.
You have to speak french in Montreal, its that simple. It's what the fans want. Just like Leaf fans want Ontario players on the team because they are winners. Hopefully Dudley stays and takes Burke's job after next seasons disaster.

Busher Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:45 AM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher Jackson View Post
You have to speak french in Montreal, its that simple. It's what the fans want. Just like Leaf fans want Ontario players on the team because they are winners. Hopefully Dudley stays and takes Burke's job after next seasons disaster.
Speak for yourself, I don't give a rat's a** where a player is from as long he is good.

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:55 AM
Yosho
Logic

Quote:
We do?

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:03 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Not really. It's what their newspapers tell them they want. The Canadiens have been fortunate that there have been some great Quebecois hockey men available over the years. If there's ever times when no one like that is available, they are going to be forced to hire someone who is unqualified just to appease their chauvinistic media.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Man Bear Pig

This shouldn't surprise anyone really, there are too many people on our management team who have GM experience, it was only a matter of time. Just like how we've heard rumblings in the past that Nonis may eventually go somewhere. It's stupid that people are perfectly fine with Dudley leaving as if he's been a key part of this teams failures the last 8 years. Everything I've heard about the guy is that he's got a sharp eye for young talent. Doesn't sound like a guy I'd wanna lose especially to our bitter rival. The real issue I have is if the dominoes start falling and we eventually lose all of our management team to other teams for better positions. Then, we've got Burke and no one else to replace him(internally) for when he gets fired which will happen at some point, it's just the reality of the league.

Man Bear Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Calacatz
Pak-trick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
If you're implying that Burke could get fired next season, the next GM would probably be Nonis if the Leafs were to choose from the current management and not start from scratch.
dude read your 1st comment in this thread and then u follow up with this.... smfh
all i know about our current executive team as far as product on the ice is they all have failed imo as a group due to the degress of the team.
At the end of the day most people here care about wins/losses.

Calacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Rinzler

I have no idea how anyone can claim failure of the management team when not even one player they have drafted has had enough time to make NHL yet.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
I have no idea how anyone can claim failure of the management team when not even one player they have drafted has had enough time to make NHL yet.
Im still waiting for the day when the players are actually accountable for going from playoff shoo ins to a complete bust virtually overnight. If Burke could assemble a team that could be dominant for half a season, they've proven they can compete. At some point, the players have got to own what they did, and didn't do.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:08 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
Probably because many NHL teams consist of rosters where the majority are not drafted by the team. No where have I heard Brian Burke say "Wait you impatient fans! This team will be built through the draft and the draft only. Be prepared to wait 5 or more years for my plan to unfold, you impatient sheep. Oh, and I'm trading my next two 1st round picks for someone else's draft pick."

That being said, I've always said that you don't become a tough team overnight. These servicable tough players are seldom available on the trade/free agent market until they're starting to break down physically. That's where I think patience is really necessary because you get these guys through the draft. And the previous regimes didn't for the most part draft those sorts of players.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Calacatz
Pak-trick!

are you kidding me both u guys with the last 2 comments. Players are accountable but when u have a dressing room with a weak captain and 2 Asistant captains who ride the pines what does that say about management and what they have provided to ensure they got the personel to play 82 games or pick a team up when down.
The same management group who went into the trade deadline doing nothing even though we were on a free fall to hell.
Then they bring in a coach to play defensive hard nosed hockey with a group of soft run n gun players.
Give your heads a shake! This managemnt group is pure fail! The season isnt 2 months
Thats why teams like Baltimore wont win AL East this year in baseball cause the real teams know how to peak at the right time and play consistant enough over the long haul to get 95 wins

Calacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:14 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calacatz View Post
dude read your 1st comment in this thread and then u follow up with this.... smfh
all i know about our current executive team as far as product on the ice is they all have failed imo as a group due to the degress of the team.
At the end of the day most people here care about wins/losses.
All professional sports for that matter.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:14 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Give them Loiselles and keep Dudley.
But what about his excellent cap management???

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:17 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
They need to get over their xenophobic stance. Toronto fans don't give a crap where the players are from, Grabovski is beloved by many in Toronto and he can barely speak English.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote