HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Winnwell NXT technology

Old
04-26-2012, 01:46 PM
donkers*

vCash: 500
Winnwell NXT technology

Has anyone tried Winnwell pads with their supposedly odor free technology? A bunch of the online stores are having some great deals on their protective gear and I am due for replacement pads.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Doland
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

vCash: 566
Don't think it is really "odor free" just less odor.

Maybe.

Doland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:56 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
I have Glite shins and ProStock Gloves and YES it dose work. as well The Winnwell Glite and prostock equipment are AMAZING and compares to top end equipment. I just can't part with my Jofa elbows.

The price is great too. (Yeah I'm a bit of a fan-boy)

The prostock gloves I have are the only gloves I own (3 player gloves and 2 sets of goalie gloves.) that not only don't smell like feet, but have no detectable smell at all.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:34 PM
neksys

Call me crazy, but doesn't MOST modern equipment have similar technology? I have a broad range of equipment (Bauer, Easton, Winwell, CCM) and none of it even has a hint of smell even with 3 days/week of use for several months. I'm pretty sure all of it has anti-microbial tech.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:51 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
Call me crazy, but doesn't MOST modern equipment have similar technology? I have a broad range of equipment (Bauer, Easton, Winwell, CCM) and none of it even has a hint of smell even with 3 days/week of use for several months. I'm pretty sure all of it has anti-microbial tech.
Nope just winwell, your crazy, or just very into yourself.

Old
04-27-2012, 02:10 AM
Fanned On It

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:49 AM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
There seems to be a little bit of controversy regarding the anti-microbial/nano technology and its safety. It's showing up in a lot of athletic/performance stuff now though, from Adidas/Oakley golf polos to Under Armour tees. I hope this isn't one of those things that comes back to bite us.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:04 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
There seems to be a little bit of controversy regarding the anti-microbial/nano technology and its safety. It's showing up in a lot of athletic/performance stuff now though, from Adidas/Oakley golf polos to Under Armour tees. I hope this isn't one of those things that comes back to bite us.
Please elaborate. What controversy? I wasn't aware of it.

Though I'll have to say, the Underarmor undergarment doesn't smell nearly as bad because it doesn't hold as much sweat.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:35 PM
donkers*

Quote:
Maybe on their upper end gear but not for $70 for a whole set of pads (shoulder, elbow, and shin).

Old
04-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

I wear these shoulder pads and they don't get that sweaty locker room smell. Even though I take time to dry all my gear it's the only piece of equipment I have other than my bucket that doesn't get that smell.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:33 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I have Bauer Vapor X60 Pro gloves with the thermo max liner and I have noticed a huge reduction in smell from my old gloves. I have had mine since January and they still don't stink.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Maybe not the same technology but a lot of modern gear has a lot better liners than they did a few years back. I know Warrior, Bauer, and I think Easton have some anti microbial liners but even the lower end stuff seemed to not absorb water as much, which is what would allow bacteria to grow and cause a smell.

My high end gloves from a few years back would smell like death after six months while my $100 cheaper gloves from the last couple years have very little smell.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
donkers*

Do they have that liner in the Bauer 4 Rolls? Because my 4 Rolls smell TERRIBLE and I've only had them for about 2 months. I might just have stinky sweat

Old
04-28-2012, 12:29 AM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Please elaborate. What controversy? I wasn't aware of it.

Though I'll have to say, the Underarmor undergarment doesn't smell nearly as bad because it doesn't hold as much sweat.
http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog...al-nanosilvers

And i know it's not the most reliable source, but here's Wikipedia's section on the matter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulat...nanotechnology

Basically there's a lot of questions and concerns that we simply cannot answer yet because the technology is new - new to the many uses that it's now being used for.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 08:14 AM
r3cc0s

The technology really works... and that may steer me towards them in the future for elbow, shin pads and gloves

Rick Nash's Winwells are the same shell as the old TPS R8, identical, and I love them... his palms are the same as well (w/o the digital overlay), BUT... has the NXT liner

unfortunately what he gets isn't what we get, and the NXT palms are crappy, thick and are embossed w/ NXT all over it...

If winwell released those with the standard clarino as a real pro-stock, I'd be all over them

but I do belive that the shoulders/shins/elbows/pants really do work, as a guy I know who never airs his gear, has a couple pieces of kit that don't smell anywhere near as terrible as his bag and the rest of his gear

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:07 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkers View Post
Has anyone tried Winnwell pads with their supposedly odor free technology? A bunch of the online stores are having some great deals on their protective gear and I am due for replacement pads.

Last edited by adaminnj: 04-30-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old
05-03-2012, 07:01 AM
ot92s

boooo....it will take away the sting when the meatheads on my team facewash my opponents. they do it for the lulz...

ot92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:39 AM
donkers*

So I bought the pads (Classic shoulder pads and elbow pads and I forget what the shin guards were but it was the cheapest one) and have played 2 games since. No smell yet but I'm sure it'll take more than 2 games to determine if this stuff works or not. I'll check back in a month.

Old
05-03-2012, 11:11 AM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkers View Post
So I bought the pads (Classic shoulder pads and elbow pads and I forget what the shin guards were but it was the cheapest one) and have played 2 games since. No smell yet but I'm sure it'll take more than 2 games to determine if this stuff works or not. I'll check back in a month.
I think I'll try to find those and grab em... my 5030's are now getting to the point where I can't wash out the smell (or use sani-clean)

its not a big deal as it really only makes my jersey's smell, but I'll grab these next time

as to that glove? Its fricken awesome and is the same as the TPS R8... again though, the palms u have to watch for
the R8 have clarino with a digital plam and doesn't use a gusset on the index finger... I've seen the winwell prostocks at various stores vary on the palm materials and the embossed NXT one is crap

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote