HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Develanno: Wings want to get bigger/tougher, will be aggressive on July 1

Old
05-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

vCash: 500
Develanno: Wings want to get bigger/tougher, will be aggressive on July 1

Develanno always gives an honest interview. These quotes seem promising:

Quote:
"Certainly we'd like to get a bit bigger and a little tougher. We'd like to get a little bigger size-wise and a little tougher. We really prefer tougher players who can play the game, not just somebody who can play two-three minutes and fight.

"We prefer somebody like Darren McCarty or Joe Kocur or Martin Lapointe. That type of player who can play and is big and strong."

"I can't mention names because that would be tampering," Devellano said. "But the only thing I will tell you is Ken Holland will be very aggressive come July 1. I think you know how we operate. I think you know how Mike Ilitch operates. We'll be aggressive. If there are some good players out there, we're gonna go hard.

"We know the team needs to improve. I would just leave it with Ken. He knows that we need another defenseman and we could use another forward. That doesn't mean those things will be easy to get because there will be other suitors. But you know the Red Wings will be aggressive and won't just sit on their hands."

Devellano said he expects the NHL salary cap to increase from $64.3 million this year to somewhere in the neighborhood of $70 million next season. That could leave the Red Wings with about $20 million to re-sign some of their own players or to spend on free agents.

"There are so many different avenues to try and build a team," he said. "We certainly used the draft but unrestricted free agency is an important tool for us, maybe the most important. If you can make a trade, they're not easy to do, but you make a trade.

"We will continue to draft and always look to see who the best unrestricted free agents are and try to add one or two of them as we go along."

"We've talked about trying to upgrade the defense," Devellano said. "We've talked about trying to get a forward who maybe can score. Well, it wouldn't be so bad to try and upgrade in goal behind Jimmy Howard if we can."

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:25 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

If the cap goes up to 70 million, wings are in trouble. You know the bottom feeders are gonma offer 10/11 million dollar a year contracts. Holland already has his "the market was too expensive/ I like our team/all of our losses were one goal games excuse all" typed up.

Other teams like the hawks will have ample cap space and a younger core too. If Kenny holland is the best GM in hockey, here is his opportunity to show it.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

If the cap goes up to $70 million, could be looking at something like this:

Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Zach Parise ($6.750m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.000m) / Darren Helm ($1.500m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.800m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($6.750m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Martin Biron ($0.950m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,892,045; BONUSES: $37,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,107,955
- There's not much roster space to get bigger/tougher. They need a 4th line C but I can't see them realistically signing a guy like Konopka. Arnott, Koivu, Stoll, Kelly, and Pahlsson are available -- probably more likely that we see one of those guys than Konopka, but this is going by what Devellano said.
- Biron would be a nice upgrade over Conklin.
- I don't know where Quincey fits in if they get Suter and use Smith full time.
- I think ~$6.7m would be reasonable contracts for Suter and Parise since they'll be long-term deals -- there's still $3m in cap room with this roster if their cap numbers end up being higher.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:34 AM
RedMachine87

Good stuff from Jimmy D. Let's hope it comes to fruition and the Wings get some luck with some of the better free agents. We certainly have a lot to offer them in terms of cap space, winning tradition, solid core, original six, Winter Classic berth, excellent management, quality coaching, etcetera.

I have a feeling if the Wings identify a couple guys they really like and get the full court press in progress we could be looking at a very good team come September.

Will be interesting to see if Holland can actually swing a trade he feels comfortable with too. While I like Filppula and would rather keep him over a guy like Franzen, let's be honest he's our best tradeable asset and would net more than Johan. Plus Johan has a good cap hit for the remainder of his contract, Filppula will cost quite a bit more when his current contract is up. So I wouldn't mind dealing him now when his value is at its highest. That said, I don't think he is going anywhere. Despite his poor playoff performance, he's a valuable player and they'd need to get a really solid player (looking at you J. Staal) back to make it worth while.

RedMachine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:41 AM
VM1138

Interesting, but it bugs me that he always qualifies the need for a scorer as "maybe" or something like that. Apparently defenseman is #1 priority. I hope they realize scorer and defenseman are both #1 priorities and anything less than both is a failure. The defenseman is only to replace Lidstrom, defense wasn't the problem this year. Offense was virutally non-existent the last few seasons.

I have to wonder if those big names like Parise and Suter are going to last all summer, though. He makes it sound like the Wings will be aggressive up front, but if our prime targets don't decide until late summer there's little else the Wings can do until then.

EDIT: I'd rather trade Flip than Franzen. Franzen's laziness still nets 30 goals a year. We need his scoring, we just can't rely on it as the backbone of our offense. If we had another guy who would work hard and reliably score 30 or more a year, Franzen would just be a really awesome plus and people would tolerate his play more.

Flip, on the other hand, had half of a break-out season. He's a good all around player, no doubt, but he still doesn't generate offense like we need him to. He just doesn't have a nose for that. He's a solid defensive forward and should be traded only if we can upgrade to a solid defensive forward with scoring ability.

VM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:42 AM
RedMachine87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
If the cap goes up to $70 million, could be looking at something like this:

- There's not much roster space to get bigger/tougher. They need a 4th line C but I can't see them realistically signing a guy like Konopka. Arnott, Koivu, Stoll, Kelly, and Pahlsson are available -- probably more likely that we see one of those guys than Konopka, but this is going by what Devellano said.
- Biron would be a nice upgrade over Conklin.
- I don't know where Quincey fits in if they get Suter and use Smith full time.
- I think ~$6.7m would be reasonable contracts for Suter and Parise since they'll be long-term deals -- there's still $3m in cap room with this roster if their cap numbers end up being higher.
That would be a great lineup. And it leaves some flexibility so they can add somebody come the trade deadline. I tend to doubt they sign a fourth line center with so many internal options (Emmerton, Andersson, Sheahan, Abdelkader, etc.) available. I'm personally in favor of letting Sheahan and Andersson duke it out for the fourth line center role.

I'd also let Abdelkader walk (he's a UFA this year right?) if the right free agent is available (preferably a big two-way center). And I'll be extremely disappointed if Emmerton is on the roster next year.

RedMachine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:49 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Yeah right...we have heard this 1 million times...

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
If the cap goes up to 70 million, wings are in trouble. You know the bottom feeders are gonma offer 10/11 million dollar a year contracts. Holland already has his "the market was too expensive/ I like our team/all of our losses were one goal games excuse all" typed up.

Other teams like the hawks will have ample cap space and a younger core too. If Kenny holland is the best GM in hockey, here is his opportunity to show it.
While I'm mentally preparing myself for the scenario you just illustrated, the types of comments coming out of management and Babcock aren't ones that are pointing to a "we're gonna stand pat and see who's available at the end of August" type of situation.

As for the bottom feeders? Not worried, I think the big time players becoming available want to go to big time teams. I think Detroit can offer something most other teams can't, even Chicago, in that there is room for players to be put into big time positions and be in a storied franchise.

Now, will that happen? No clue. But I also don't believe that being 'aggressive' means being bat **** crazy and signing someone to some ridiculous deal. But if aggressive means overpaying in dollars a bit or term, then do it.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Yeah right...we have heard this 1 million times...
Have we?

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Feds on D

I realize that there is pressure from fans and media, but I'd rather they just shut up. We've heard it all before. Comments like "we'd like to" and "[...] they're hard to do" makes me feel there is smoke entering my ass.

Show us -- don't tell us.

Feds on D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Henkka

Bigger and tougher?

So it means Shane Doan and Chris Stewart. Forget Semin and Parise.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:04 PM
theYman

Hell Yeah.....I want mastadons that can skate like the wind.

theYman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:07 PM
KingzOverAcez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan2Holland View Post
That would be a great lineup. And it leaves some flexibility so they can add somebody come the trade deadline. I tend to doubt they sign a fourth line center with so many internal options (Emmerton, Andersson, Sheahan, Abdelkader, etc.) available. I'm personally in favor of letting Sheahan and Andersson duke it out for the fourth line center role.

I'd also let Abdelkader walk (he's a UFA this year right?) if the right free agent is available (preferably a big two-way center). And I'll be extremely disappointed if Emmerton is on the roster next year.
Abby is a RFA this summer and I'd let someone else sign him if it meant bringing a player like Stoll to DET and I pray that Emmerton isn't in a Winged Wheel jersey next season. I haven't liked his play at all with the time he has been given.

KingzOverAcez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:08 PM
KingzOverAcez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Bigger and tougher?

So it means Shane Doan and Chris Stewart. Forget Semin and Parise.
Doan would be a good fit for DET and Stewart stays in STL next season imo (He's a RFA)

Old
05-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingzOverAcez View Post
Stewart stays in STL next season imo (He's a RFA)
There's nothing but trade talk going around him, because he doesn't fit to Hitchcock's system and could be too expensive (and not needed) for them with other payraises coming.

We could send something to get his negotiation rights or even make an offer-sheet.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Yemack

I have 100% faith in management.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:16 PM
KingzOverAcez

Quote:
There's nothing but trade talk going around him, because he doesn't fit to Hitchcock's system and could be too expensive (and not needed) for them with other payraises coming.

We could send something to get his negotiation rights or even make an offer-sheet.
When was the last time Holland made an offer sheet to another team's RFA? There are plenty of UFAs in the market to avoid having to give up a 1st & 3rd rounder for Stewart. (And DET doesn't have their 1st rounder to make that offer sheet either)

Old
05-02-2012, 12:18 PM
joe89

Quote:

Slight problem though, Blues won't trade a young talented winger to the Wings. Offersheet, yeah but the price to pay for that is steep.. I think he will be gone at draft day if they plan to move him.

Doan's offense will only go down from here and our top6 is already old as it is. And he's already gone from being a 30 goal guy to 20 goal guy. I don't think he adresses what we need. Not for the $ I expect him to demand if he hits FA.

Sadly I don't like this UFA class at all when it comes to big wingers with scoring ability ready to step in immediately. Maybe David Jones, but I'm not his biggest fan. Need to look for trades. Or "settle" for Parise/Semin in the top6 and just look to improve the bottom6 with size. But they need to get rid of some contracts first..

Last edited by joe89: 05-02-2012 at 12:35 PM.
joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:22 PM
mdtizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
I have the opposite

mdtizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:28 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Honestly, when they say, a D-man and a forward, I have a hard time not to just take that as them saying "Yes, we will make a push for Suter and Parise".

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:34 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
I have 0% faith in management.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:36 PM
DarkReign

Call the cap at $68M to err on the side of caution.

Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Zach Parise ($6.500m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.100m) / Darren Helm ($2.000m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Ryan Suter ($7.500m) / Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.500m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $68,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,967,045; BONUSES: $37,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $32,955
I dont think Lidstrom signs for that amount, but I can dream. Maybe selling him on a reduced workload will work here but I dont think so. Yes, I know, there is no Brenden Smith to be seen on that roster, but thats not important. Swap him in for Kindl, same $ (he actually makes slightly less).

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:40 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Isn't smith gonna be on the team next year?

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Isn't smith gonna be on the team next year?
He should be. If we sign Suter, I'm betting one of White, Quincey or Kindl will be moved. If one can't be moved, then I wouldn't be shocked to see Smith start the year in GR until someone is moved.

05-02-2012, 01:04 PM
theYman

Parros? Anybody want him?
Also Gaustad if Nashville doesn't sign him.

theYman is offline   Reply With Quote