HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks 2012 Stats Overview - Spreadsheet - Final Edition :)

Old
12-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

vCash: 500
Sharks 2012 Stats Overview - Spreadsheet - Final Edition :)

I have built a spreadsheet with the Sharks players stats in a visual context. You can look and find a player to see on a per game basis what, if any, type of point they have. Be that a regular goal (RG) or a Short Handed Secondary Assist (RHSA). It also shows when players were injured, AHL transactions and keeps track of points per game averages.

Some of the stats are collected at the bottom, so scroll past or hide the unplayed games to see the rest of the data.

There are comments in cells with red marks in the corners with special notes, especially game day notes such as line changes or in game injuries.

I encourage you to view it and make comments on what you think and we can also discuss the stats themselves, even though I not much of a stat guy lol.

I will continue to update the spreadsheet throughout the year.

Final Update:

View Online:

https://www.box.com/s/8b03b9a395630dc55f10

Link to Excel file for download:

https://www.box.com/shared/static/8b...630dc55f10.xls

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.

Last edited by Led Zappa: 05-01-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:46 PM
param

vCash: 50
I like numbers and stats, will definitely check it out.

param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

I see that it's not very user friendly in Google Docs and nobody has downloaded it. If there is a way to make it more accessible let me know.

Old
12-12-2011, 07:48 PM
param

- The color scheme is a bit confusing when first looking at it, but it's not that big of a deal eventually you get used to it.

- I think a total goals/assists/points column should be included because it'll help put the primary/secondary assists in context.

One stat breakdown I'd like to see is for goaltenders (wouldn't be a bad stat for skaters either), perimeter vs. inside-the-circles shots (only way to get those would probably be through nhl.com's icetracker).

Overall, primary vs. secondary are a very good comparison, it's nice to have insight on those.

Old
12-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

I wanted to see who was getting mostly PP assists and short handed and empty netters too to boost their stats.

The strictly goals/assists/points is at the bottom under each player or are you talking about something else?

If it were a running total per game line I think I would run out of columns at 256. That's why I ended up having 1 sheet for offense and 1 for defense lol. Office 2010 takes away that limit, but I figured not many people have it and Google Docs doesn't support it.

Old
12-12-2011, 08:16 PM
param

I was thinking of a running totals column, but since they have a 256 limit, it's not really that big a deal.

Handzus is a boss, 7 total assists, and all primary.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:16 AM
jwhitesj

i like it, and as someone who does a lot of spreadsheet design, I know that took a lot of work. I agree with Param that adding totals would help.

jwhitesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Thanks.

Maybe I will do the points thing when I get bored. Looks like I have enough room right now. It will depend on how many players we add or end up getting empty net and short handed goals/assists in the future as to whether I'll eventually run out of room lol.

Old
12-13-2011, 07:29 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Thanks.

Maybe I will do the points thing when I get bored. Looks like I have enough room right now. It will depend on how many players we add or end up getting empty net and short handed goals/assists in the future as to whether I'll eventually run out of room lol.
you shouldn't have to worry about this lol, considering the sharks can't kill the penalties let alone score on one of the shorthanded chances. and well they need to be winning late in games to score empty net goals.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

I have been updating the spreadsheet with the G/A/P's columns and boy is it painful for some players. When I complete the formula and drag/copy down a column for goals it's kind of neat to see it add up and know I've don't it correctly. When I get to a player like Havlat where the goal column stays at one the entire time it's painful

Old
12-14-2011, 03:20 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
I have been updating the spreadsheet with the G/A/P's columns and boy is it painful for some players. When I complete the formula and drag/copy down a column for goals it's kind of neat to see it add up and know I've don't it correctly. When I get to a player like Havlat where the goal column stays at one the entire time it's painful
I'm looking forward to see how 1st assists play out over the season. Your updates should show you a lot about issues of consistency in scoring for all players over a season.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I'm looking forward to see how 1st assists play out over the season. Your updates should show you a lot about issues of consistency in scoring for all players over a season.
That's one of the main reasons I wanted to do it. That and overall slumps. When they happened, if they happened across the board, to a particular line or individual, in an easy to look at way.

Old
12-14-2011, 03:44 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Its real purtie. The red's a little eye strain, maybe a little transparency added so not so bright? Could use a summary page to get at major points you are trying to highlight. Lovely effort. Thanks.

12-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Lockout Season

Looks good. My only suggestion would be to make a new sheet for stat totals with players listed vertically so it's easier to read.

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7150 View Post
Looks good. My only suggestion would be to make a new sheet for stat totals with players listed vertically so it's easier to read.
Yeah, I just figured that regular stats were so easy to get on the web, but it wouldn't take much to add that.

Old
12-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

OK, I have updated the spreadsheet with G/A/P columns and changed the red/white cells to black/red to ease the strain on WineShark's eyes

I have also made the links to a folder instead of file this time, so you can bookmark the link and check for updates anytime. I will name the files with the date they are uploaded.

I'll work on a Summary Page next, but some summary stats are available at the bottom of each page.

Neither of the online viewable versions, Box or Google Docs, include the comments, so I recommend you download if possible. You can then massage the data yourself too. Like moving lines together or top players next to each other if you have some moderate Excel skills. There are even comments in a few of the points cells where the goal was scored 6-5 at the end of the game for example. With some advanced skills you can create totals for certain game stretches or against certain teams for example.

Box Folder Link (File Download Available)

https://www.box.com/s/t2hr6haalg0bppee09ds

Google Docs Folder Link

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B69...Y2ZjBkODdlZDk4

Old
12-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

I've updated the spreadsheet (Sharks Stats 2011-2012 December 31rst) and added a summary sheet along with cleaning up some other stuff. Links are in post above.

Old
01-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Lockout Season

Looking better. I like the idea of being able to see the point totals as they progress game by game.

Two things came to mind off the bat: It would be nice to have something visual to separate the game's stats from the current totals columns. Maybe just a blank column with a solid color, or making the columns 'burnt' orange. Also, it seems unnecessary to list the Sharks in the game column, and have a column indicating if the game is home or away. If you had just the opponent in Game column, it would be easier to create formulas based off on opponents.

I'll have to get back to you about those formulas. I don't currently have Excel on my laptop and I'm not at home.

Keep up the good work!

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

I uploaded the file with data current as of today. I moved the Summary Page to the front. Sheet 2 is Offensive Numbers, Sheet 3 is Defensive Numbers

Old
02-01-2012, 10:38 PM
SharksFan1

vCash: 147
Quote:
I uploaded the file with data current as of today. I moved the Summary Page to the front. Sheet 2 is Offensive Numbers, Sheet 3 is Defensive Numbers

Another stat that would be interesting, although it might be hard to get, is points per time on ice average, rather than points per game average.

SharksFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:57 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan1 View Post
Another stat that would be interesting, although it might be hard to get, is points per time on ice average, rather than points per game average.
That stat is available at http://behindthenet.ca/, broken down by even strength, PP, and PK.

Old
02-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
That stat is available at http://behindthenet.ca/, broken down by even strength, PP, and PK.
Ferry-O is .01 points behind Couture for the lead in Goals/60 5on5 lol

Couture 1.19/60
Ferriero 1.18/60

Old
02-01-2012, 11:31 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Yikes, that team offense is not looking too good...

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:46 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Ferry-O is .01 points behind Couture for the lead in Goals/60 5on5 lol

Couture 1.19/60
Ferriero 1.18/60
I am not going to look, but I would bet Couture has a higher qualcomp by a bit. For scoring, I like to look at team GF60, team GA60, and sprinkle with a little qualcomp/qualteam to get an idea of scoring effect.

I haven't been watching lately, but I would really like to see who is getting opponent top pairs, JT/Pavs or Couture/Patty.

Old
02-01-2012, 11:48 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
I am not going to look, but I would bet Couture has a higher qualcomp by a bit. For scoring, I like to look at team GF60, team GA60, and sprinkle with a little qualcomp/qualteam to get an idea of scoring effect.

I haven't been watching lately, but I would really like to see who is getting opponent top pairs, JT/Pavs or Couture/Patty.
JT/Pavs would be my guess, if only because Desy is better defensively than Ferriero, but I can't say for certain.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote