HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

5/2: Ownership gives DW vote of confidence

Old
05-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
When I'm imagining these "emotional" interviews, I'm picturing Boyle throwing chairs around and Vlasic sobbing into a hankerchief.
Vlasic would be tearfully looking on from a distance while trying to hide.

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:49 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Vlasic would be tearfully looking on from a distance while trying to hide.

As long as there's a hankerchief involved, it's plausible.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:50 PM
do0glas

emotional interviews?

im sure that more involved DW calling out players on their performance and then they were playing the blame game.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Mafoofoo

I wonder what DW said to Handzus. I mean I'm sure he couldn't have gone "so yeah. you suck. alot."

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
emotional interviews?

im sure that more involved DW calling out players on their performance and then they were playing the blame game.
Nah nothing like that. Just DW asking players to talk about movies like Rudy (and in Vlasic's case the Notebook)

Old
05-02-2012, 03:56 PM
do0glas

Quote:
I wonder what DW said to Handzus. I mean I'm sure he couldn't have gone "so yeah. you suck. alot."

Nah nothing like that. Just DW asking players to talk about movies like Rudy (and in Vlasic's case the Notebook)

"I know i only scored like 2 goals down the stretch, but i was forechecking and stuff? it was just bad luck, in reality im worth every penny of my cap hit. "

Old
05-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
When I'm imagining these "emotional" interviews, I'm picturing Boyle throwing chairs around and Vlasic sobbing into a hankerchief.
Same here except Marleau is sobbing and Vlasic is throwing expletives in French.

Youth Movement Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Hertl

GM Doug Wilson: "The fans are so committed and so supportive. We do have to do the right thing..."

Team blows up

Hertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Mafoofoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Same here except Marleau is sobbing and Vlasic is throwing expletives in French.
Too much emotion from Marleau.

Happy Marleau: Sad Marleau:
Angry Marleau: Excited Marleau
Confused Marleau: Bored Marleau:

It's the same expression.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
I actually think that Woodcroft may be on the hotest seat. Moreso than Shaw.

Yawney may have decided to leave on his own to pursue "head" job elsewhere. (That's kinda the impression I got when I exchanged a couple of sentences with him on locker clean out day when asking about his plans for the future.)
That'd be my guess. Tough one for Jay. Hate to judge a book by its cover but he doesn't come across as a hockey guy (at least from his interviews) and he took a step up in responsibility this year (becoming a real AC and taking on the PK) and failed miserably on the PK. If he also was responsible for the defensive strategy, he'll take the fall there. The passive zone entry is horrendous. I know that's partly due to the offensive strategy of having guys down low on the cycle and with the slow forwards we have, they can't get back fast to the backcheck.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Iron Chef

On the topic of emotionless players, I did a Google image search of Handzus to see if he ever smiles. It's kind of hilarious. There's 1 picture of him smiling and that's with his wife.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:14 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Too much emotion from Marleau.

Happy Marleau: Sad Marleau:
Angry Marleau: Excited Marleau
Confused Marleau: Bored Marleau:

It's the same expression.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:26 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Vlasic and Braun were probably some of the early guys to be interviewed due to their commitment to WHCs.

Also guessing that JD, Galiardi and Winnik have done theirs (before leaving on international travel).

Emotion expressed in the inteviews may be anger as well as "crying"/sadness. Sometimes it takes longer to "cool down" from anger and/or needs more time than a crying one would.

I'm thinking of who might be the one(s) to express the emotion and it may not be some of the people you think it might be.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Quote:
Vlasic and Braun were probably some of the early guys to be interviewed due to their commitment to WHCs.

Also guessing that JD, Galiardi and Winnik have done theirs (before leaving on international travel).

Emotion expressed in the inteviews may be anger as well as "crying"/sadness. Sometimes it takes longer to "cool down" from anger and/or needs more time than a crying one would.

I'm thinking of who might be the one(s) to express the emotion and it may not be some of the people you think it might be.
Niemi and Marleau throwing chairs around and shouting expletives?

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:30 PM
do0glas

I feel like clowe/thornton would be showing quite a bit of emotion in different spectrums of root causes.

marleau? who knows, you dont sense the emotion from him on the ice too much and he seems a very reserved guy. just roll with the punches and move on.

couture still young, probably frustrated more than anything

pavelski, was their any talk of reverting him back to 3C? would he get emotional at that?

colin white? LOL

i dunno im just bored/speculating.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:30 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:

So it's Marleau that's throwing chairs?

Are you being deliberately coy because you know something or is it just speculation.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:31 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Good one Juxtaposer! I actually did LOL at my desk. (People looking ...shhhh. pretend like your working....)

I expect to see Woody go, and maybe Shaw. Also expect to see some of the top 7 go in an exchange for speed and tenacity. The one thing that has dogged the team forever is the lack of consistent effort. Look at what Sutter did for LA. Look at Hitchcock and St Louis. For that matter, look at the Nucks last year. We haven't been a team thats 'hard to play against' since we had Sutter, Reech, and Mush on the team. In addition, for a puck posession team, there aren't that many players on the team that can hold and skate with the puck. For a puck posession team like the Sharks are supposed to be, thats an obvious failing.

05-02-2012, 04:43 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Good one Juxtaposer! I actually did LOL at my desk. (People looking ...shhhh. pretend like your working....)

I expect to see Woody go, and maybe Shaw. Also expect to see some of the top 7 go in an exchange for speed and tenacity. The one thing that has dogged the team forever is the lack of consistent effort. Look at what Sutter did for LA. Look at Hitchcock and St Louis. For that matter, look at the Nucks last year. We haven't been a team thats 'hard to play against' since we had Sutter, Reech, and Mush on the team. In addition, for a puck posession team, there aren't that many players on the team that can hold and skate with the puck. For a puck posession team like the Sharks are supposed to be, thats an obvious failing.
I really never felt like the Sharks had a major effort issue this season to be honest. A confidence issue maybe, a strategy issue (passive) absolutely, but I always felt like they were trying.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:47 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
So it's Marleau that's throwing chairs?

Are you being deliberately coy because you know something or is it just speculation.
I would trust her speculation. And I would emphasize her point that some of it is more about disappointment/anger than it is about the pain of assessments being received.

With no background other than public and if I had to guess, Zeus, Demers and White would be up there. Of the regulars, Boyle and Clowe. Darkhorses are Winchester and Winnik. The guys who have been in SJ for a bit are very accustomed to it and less likely to overreact.

The standard was published some time ago. The first part of the interview is a self assessment from the players. The last part is the org's plan for the player going forward and the direction for improvement to be worked upon over the summer.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:12 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I would trust her speculation. And I would emphasize her point that some of it is more about disappointment/anger than it is about the pain of assessments being received.

With no background other than public and if I had to guess, Zeus, Demers and White would be up there. Of the regulars, Boyle and Clowe. Darkhorses are Winchester and Winnik. The guys who have been in SJ for a bit are very accustomed to it and less likely to overreact.

The standard was published some time ago. The first part of the interview is a self assessment from the players. The last part is the org's plan for the player going forward and the direction for improvement to be worked upon over the summer.
Demers is absolutely known to go off the handle. Not sure to what extent. He keeps it professional on the ice as far as we can see.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:12 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:

I do. LS is certainly a level above the vast majority of us when it comes to knowing the org.

And Zeus? Really? Of all the names you list, he's the one that stands out as strange to me, with absolutely no knowledge of the off-ice personalities of most of the guys.

EDIT: And when I implied guys crying, it was more an anger cry. People express anger in different ways.

Last edited by TheJuxtaposer: 05-02-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old
05-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
This is basically the one year warning for DW. If he fails like this or worse again next season, he's done.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:20 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
I do. LS is certainly a level above the vast majority of us when it comes to knowing the org.

And Zeus? Really? Of all the names you list, he's the one that stands out as strange to me, with absolutely no knowledge of the off-ice personalities of most of the guys.
End of career tends to be emotional. Both White and Zeus were that far down. If the org has no future plans for them, I would expect a reaction which is not necessarily anger so much as sadness and other things.

UR,
I have seen Demers go off. I can't recall if it was on the bench or on the ice. There was a confrontation (in practice?) at one point between Demers and Vlasic.

Old
05-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
UR,
I have seen Demers go off. I can't recall if it was on the bench or on the ice. There was a confrontation (in practice?) at one point between Demers and Vlasic.
I blame Vlasic though. He's been voted as the guy marching to the beat of his own drum, which basically means he is an *******.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:35 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I blame Vlasic though. He's been voted as the guy marching to the beat of his own drum, which basically means he is an *******.
It isn't blame on Demers so much as the general system in hockey where NHL years=respect to be given. I judge that going against that barrier is extremely unusual although it may have been warranted at the time.