HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

5/2: Ownership gives DW vote of confidence

Old
05-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I'm laughing at the "fire the assistants" idea...it's kind of silly to think that's the answer.
Its not the only answer but after hearing what DW said...I don't think anyone is safe. Either they will be gone or given an extremely short leash. It can't hurt to have a new voice or input.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
I agree with you, but it brings up this question:

Does enyone remember TMacs first season with the Sharks? And how awesome the Sharks looked?? Did they (the coaching staff) change the "system" this season, or do the current/newer players just not adopt to it?
The first season he had Grier and Blake, from what I remember, essentially running the PK. They've made alterations over the years and they've essentially implemented their own system at this point and it is failing. However, it's not just the system failing. It is player failures as well because they simply don't trust each other so they panic and get out of position when they shouldn't.

I wouldn't be so upset about the failing PK if there was a little more accountability and personal responsibility coming from the coaching staff. They brush it off during the season talking about not reinventing the wheel. Practically, that may be the truth of the matter but outside of DW, I haven't really heard anyone take ownership of it and vow to do something about it.

I can understand keeping McLellan. His results speak for themselves and they're very good on the whole of it save for not winning it all. However, he has to take ownership of the things that he is failing at like the PK, handling goalies, and hiring assistant coaches because he really hasn't been able to say that he's had a reliable one. And if he doesn't take ownership, then DW has to and fire all of them for a new group.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Its not the only answer but after hearing what DW said...I don't think anyone is safe. Either they will be gone or given an extremely short leash. It can't hurt to have a new voice or input.
Firing the assistant coaches and keeping the head coach is borderline moronic...it's like blaming the jug because your milk is sour.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Firing the assistant coaches and keeping the head coach is borderline moronic...it's like blaming the jug because your milk is sour.
Thats what I was getting at. All will be gone or given a short leash. I guess I didn't make it clear enough. The coaching staff and players and management all failed to meet their own expectations so I doubt it will be a comfortable summer in San Jose. The picture will be clearer in a few weeks once these evaluations and reviews are finished.

Old
05-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Lockout Season

Quote:
By that logic, you could hire any two warm bodies to just repeat everything Todd says...

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 04:53 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Thats what I was getting at. All will be gone or given a short leash. I guess I didn't make it clear enough. The coaching staff and players and management all failed to meet their own expectations so I doubt it will be a comfortable summer in San Jose. The picture will be clearer in a few weeks once these evaluations and reviews are finished.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure 210 is advocating firing McLellan, not keeping everyone.

The simple fact that they haven't been able to fix something as simple as a penalty kill in well over two seasons should tell you all you need to know about this staff. Having a top 5 PK is hard, having an average PK is simply having decent personnel (we do) and employing a by the book system every coach should know in their sleep. People are brushing this off like "It's just the PK" which is frustrating.

I should dig up that thread I made awhile back with all of the strategy related stats this team has been in decline on since RW left (not that I'm saying RW was a great coach or anything). I honestly believe the talent is keeping this team afloat, and that's about it.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure 210 is advocating firing McLellan, not keeping everyone.

The simple fact that they haven't been able to fix something as simple as a penalty kill in well over two seasons should tell you all you need to know about this staff. Having a top 5 PK is hard, having an average PK is simply having decent personnel (we do) and employing a by the book system every coach should know in their sleep. People are brushing this off like "It's just the PK" which is frustrating.

I should dig up that thread I made awhile back with all of the strategy related stats this team has been in decline on since RW left (not that I'm saying RW was a great coach or anything). I honestly believe the talent is keeping this team afloat, and that's about it.
I know what he was advocating, This team underachieved and someone has to be held accountable. Whether its TMac or the whole coaching staff thats yet to be seen. I'm sure some of the leaders on the team have had plenty to vent to DW about with regards to systems and coaching and personnel decisions made by the coaching staff all year long. We all know we had our share of venting.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7150 View Post
By that logic, you could hire any two warm bodies to just repeat everything Todd says...
You could if that was all that assistant coaches do, which it isn't.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I'm for either keeping them all or firing them all...firing assistant coaches and keeping the head coach accomplishes nothing.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:20 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
I'm for either keeping them all or firing them all...firing assistant coaches and keeping the head coach accomplishes nothing.
Hey, i got an idea, since Tmac is under contract, we could send them all down to Worcester

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Hey, i got an idea, since Tmac is under contract, we could send them all down to Worcester
I have no problem with that

Old
05-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Im sure Worcester would have no problem with that. lol

Old
05-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Lockout Season

Quote:
You could if that was all that assistant coaches do, which it isn't.
That was my point.

It is plausable that changing assistants could solve current issues and vastly improve the product on the ice, but the idea fans think they know enough about what goes on behind the scenes to pinpoint that as the answer is silly.

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:05 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I wouldn't be so upset about the failing PK if there was a little more accountability and personal responsibility coming from the coaching staff. They brush it off during the season talking about not reinventing the wheel. Practically, that may be the truth of the matter but outside of DW, I haven't really heard anyone take ownership of it and vow to do something about it.
You must have missed his end of the season interview. He basically said the PK was a mess and that's all on him.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
You must have missed his end of the season interview. He basically said the PK was a mess and that's all on him.
What McLellan did in the exit interview was a basic level of accountability. I did say a little more than what was given and I mostly mean during the season as opposed to the brush-off they were doing.

Old
05-04-2012, 09:15 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
What McLellan did in the exit interview was a basic level of accountability. I did say a little more than what was given and I mostly mean during the season as opposed to the brush-off they were doing.
You then said

Quote:
And if he doesn't take ownership, then DW has to and fire all of them for a new group.
He took full ownership in his end-of-the-season interview.

Old
05-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
You then said

He took full ownership in his end-of-the-season interview.
I wouldn't say he took full ownership. That one comment doesn't do that when afterwards you talk about not getting enough out of your players.

Old
05-04-2012, 09:25 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
I wouldn't say he took full ownership. That one comment doesn't do that when afterwards you talk about not getting enough out of your players.
I think you have to watch the video again. When talking about the PK, he said it's on the coach. That's full ownership right there. Not getting enough out of your players is talking in general, and can you blame him? Marleau, Pavelski, Clowe, and Boyle sucked.

Old
05-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
I think you have to watch the video again. When talking about the PK, he said it's on the coach. That's full ownership right there. Not getting enough out of your players is talking about in general, and can you blame him? Marleau, Pavelski, Clowe, and Boyle sucked.
I just did watch the video and like I said, that is basic level. And it was something he was brushing off the entire season and he still, in my estimation, didn't take full responsibility when he was putting some of it on the players.

Old
05-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Swervin81
Mo Riles Mo Problems

Burke fired Acton and Hunter (assistants) last offseason while keeping Wilson, and look at where that got the Leafs.

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:30 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
I just did watch the video and like I said, that is basic level. And it was something he was brushing off the entire season and he still, in my estimation, didn't take full responsibility when he was putting some of it on the players.
Now you're just criticizing for the sake of criticizing. Saying the problem was systematic and it's all on him is full accountability. What else do you want him to say?

Old
05-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Now you're just criticizing for the sake of criticizing. Saying the problem was systematic and it's all on him is full accountability. What else do you want him to say?
It is not full accountability when you then talk about the players not giving a consistent effort.

Old
05-04-2012, 09:33 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
It is not full accountability when you then talk about the players not giving a consistent effort.
I just watched the video, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about the PK anymore. A lot of players didn't give a consistent effort.

Old
05-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
I just watched the video, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about the PK anymore. A lot of players didn't give a consistent effort.
Whether it's true that they did or didn't, when you say it's on me and then talk about the players and what they did wrong, that's not taking full responsibility and this one time, even if he did, doesn't make up for the skirting he was doing the whole year and the fact that he had failed in this regard last year and did nothing about it.

Old
05-04-2012, 09:39 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Whether it's true that they did or didn't, when you say it's on me and then talk about the players and what they did wrong
Again, he's talking in general when he mentions the players. You want him to take all the blame for this season? This season wasn't all his fault. There were a ton of passengers throughout the year.

Quote:
even if he did, doesn't make up for the skirting he was doing the whole year and the fact that he had failed in this regard last year and did nothing about it.
And now you're just backtracking. Your first post says you want him to take full accountability for things like the PK. He did take full accountability for the PK. Now you're practically saying that doesn't count.