HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[CGY] Flames sign Cervenka [1 year, $3.775M cap hit including bonuses, max. ELC]

Old
05-02-2012, 06:00 PM
flameaholic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Where do Calgary fans think he'll fit in their line-up?
In the top-6, as one of our top 2 centers.

In no particular order.. Iginla, Cammalleri, Glencross, Tanguay, Backlund, Baertschi, Cervenka.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:05 PM
mrdonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAndersonBTR View Post
We're on the same page. My original point was focusing on this up-coming year while still taking into account the future of the team. If the Flames were to start the "traditional rebuild," they would be trading Iginla and Kipper this off-season / at the trade deadline in order to speed up the process; my original post was made with the assumption that with the signing of Cervenka, Flames management wasn't going to pursue this avenue and rather they think this signing will be able to get them over the hump. It was also questioning why the Flames wouldn't be able to retain Jokinen - it's not as if the free agent market is a buyers' market and there are significant centers available. Retaining Jokinen for either the #1 or #2 center role on a short-term deal would be good for the organization if they believe they can make the dance.
I guess this is where I lose your train of logic. I'm just not seeing how signing a 26 year old Euro player to a one year ELC says anything about the direction the team is going. Even the Oilers, who embody the 'blow-it-up-and-tank' rebuild, go out and add players via FA and trades. Regardless of where the organization's mentality lies, it would be folly to not make its due diligence to improve wherever it can.

As for the Jokinen issue, it's not really a question of whether they are able to retain him as much as whether they have a place for him anymore if Cervenka and Baertschi take over top 6 roles. Now, if the Flames come out and announce a 5 year, $25 million extension for Jokinen, then absolutely I will agree that the team's goal has been made clear. But this signing doesn't strike me any differently than any other highly touted 1st round pick ELC, besides the fact that he is 26 and doesn't have much developing left to do. Essentially they just picked up a guy with 1st round talent without giving up any assets. That's all it is.

mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:09 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
That whole amount counts against the cap though does it not? Unless the flames use the bonus cushion, I'm pretty sure that the whole amount counts.
So? If he fails to translate his game to the NA style of play and be of no use to our roster he can simply be put in the AHL, or sent back to the KHL in which he would only be owed roughly 925K by our ownership group. Poof...his 3.775M cap hit would be history.

In order for him to earn the entire 3.775M dollar amount he will need to become atleast a 20+goal,30+ Assist, 60+ point player and in that case the Flames are laughing all the way to the bank.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
I know. What are the Flames thinking giving a 26 year old, who outscored Jagr in the KHL, less than 1 million dollars guaranteed?

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
So? If he fails to translate his game to the NA style of play and be of no use to our roster he can simply be put in the AHL, or sent back to the KHL in which he would only be owed roughly 925K by our ownership group. Poof...his 3.775M cap hit would be history.

In order for him to earn the entire 3.775M dollar amount he will need to become atleast a 20+goal,30+ Assist, 60+ point player and in that case the Flames are laughing all the way to the bank.
I agree with this.
LOw risk high reward signing. Only a one year deal, likely not goign to have to pay him 3.775 but if they end up paying him that it owuld be worth it, if he doesn't preform he can be sent down and will liely be claimed on waivers.
Anyone remember what Brunnstrom signed for?

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:29 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
That whole amount counts against the cap though does it not? Unless the flames use the bonus cushion, I'm pretty sure that the whole amount counts.
Teams don't choose to use the bonus cushion, it just exists.
When it exists, contracts containing bonuses are no longer hard cap hits.
I'd assume that most teams work off of the base salary and make room for a specific amount of bonuses the player is likely to meet.
If they exceed expectations and the team ends up over the upper limit, it's deducted from their cap the following season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post

Spot on on both points.

If he fails, I'm willing to bet he has an out-clause, so he'd just be loaned and the Flames could work something out with a European team to cover a portion or all of the salary or he could just be released outright.

If he were to meet all of the bonuses in his contract, $3.775m is an absolute steal.
He'd be the best player on the team and up for league awards.

Last edited by jfb392: 05-02-2012 at 06:34 PM.
jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:30 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
Flames were too close to the playoffs for a rebuild. They had so many OT losses, the difference there could have been a full season of Cammalleri, and Sven Baertschi; guys like that. That right there could have been the difference. Add this Cervenka to the mix who seems to be a goal scorer and boom, made the playoffs.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
If the Flames aren't going to be up against the cap then there's no risk to this deal. If he hits his bonuses and earns the full $3.7M then everyone is happy.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Very good player. Interesting signing.

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Cephalusc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
The bolded is undeniably false. the Flames were even further behind before Sutter.
So your saying the Flames didn't fall behind the league while Sutter was in charge?

Yes, Sutter took over a team with a bad group of prospects, but he also left the team with a slightly less terrible group of prospects. Meanwhile, the gap between the Flames and the rest of the league widened.

I'm not sure how you can say that is false.

Cephalusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Cephalusc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAndersonBTR View Post
Today's traditional rebuild is when a team realizes that it isn't going to be making the dance, so it sells off it's aging assets that have 1-2 years left on their contracts (Iginla, Kiprusoff) for significant assets (high picks / high-end prospects). While the off-season has yet to begin, my original post was made with the assumption that this isn't going to be happening until the trade deadline, or maybe not at all.
That is where we disagree... I don't believe a team needs to trade away it's best players in order to carry out a successful rebuild.

Cephalusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Tiranis

If he can adjust to the NHL then the Flames just got themselves a great Top 6 player. As a Canucks fan I'm pretty pissed off by this news but happy for Cervenka.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Hopefully he plays well on the small ice... who knows whether his game will translate from the big ice to the small one!

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Interesting signing. More filler for the Flames while they attempt to "rebuild on the fly". I dont expect him to be much of an impact player.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
I dont expect him to be much of an impact player.
Based on? He's a Top 5 player in the KHL, possibly 2nd best after Radulov. We'll see if he adjusts but he's certainly a great player to take a gamble on.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 07:03 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Based on? He's a Top 5 player in the KHL, possibly 2nd best after Radulov. We'll see if he adjusts but he's certainly a great player to take a gamble on.
I should have rephrased and stated for a team that isnt offensively deep like Calgary. I think he'd thrive in a role with other dynamic and creative forwards. he probably would have even been better suited in Edmonton.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
This looks to be the consolation prize to not landing Turris. I like this, good signing. And his GF is hot!

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:19 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
I should have rephrased and stated for a team that isnt offensively deep like Calgary. I think he'd thrive in a role with other dynamic and creative forwards. he probably would have even been better suited in Edmonton.
He will get every opportunity to player with two of the following players.

Jarome Iginla
Alex Tanguay
Mike Cammalleri
Sven Baertschi
Curtis Glencross

It may not be the highest end of talent on that list, but attractive nontheless for a player with zero nhl experience.

Your right in saying Calgary is not offensively deep, but Cervenka will play in a top six role here, which probably could not be said for a good portion of teams out there that were bidding for his services.

By this signing and Feaster stating he wants to add more skill and creativity to his lineup, it lends me to believe he will be going after more of that during the offseason and will bring in a coach that will highlight those area's of play.

Should be an interesting off-season. I for one am completely thrilled with this signing.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Interesting. Wonder where Olli will end up.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:51 PM
DropIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
If a player who has never played in the NHL has a 3.775 cap hit, what is an established star like Parise going to receive?
Completely different circumstances.

If Parise was a better KHL player looking to come to the NHL, then they could compare.

DropIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:00 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
"Location
Vancouver, BC"
Canuck fan?

tyflames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:00 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick
Keep Kessel

I'm jealous.

There's room for him in Calgary's top-6 and if he doesn't pan out I'm sure it won't hurt Calgary one bit. Congratulations

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:05 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Flames were too close to the playoffs for a rebuild. They had so many OT losses, the difference there could have been a full season of Cammalleri, and Sven Baertschi; guys like that. That right there could have been the difference. Add this Cervenka to the mix who seems to be a goal scorer and boom, made the playoffs.
That's not how it works.

You can't just say, oh they finished 9th with this team, so if they add X and Y and subtract Z they will surely be at least 7th or 8th.

timw33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:11 PM
JurassicTunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
That's not how it works.

You can't just say, oh they finished 9th with this team, so if they add X and Y and subtract Z they will surely be at least 7th or 8th.
If X and Y are better than Z then sure

JurassicTunga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:18 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
I know. What are the Flames thinking giving a 26 year old, who outscored Jagr in the KHL, less than 1 million dollars guaranteed?
You sir win the thread. Glad to see some rational posters still roam the main boards.

Also, really excited to see Cervenka in the NHL. He's been terrific in Europe but it'll be nice to finally see him with my own eyes.

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote