HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[CGY] Flames sign Cervenka [1 year, $3.775M cap hit including bonuses, max. ELC]

Old
05-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Medium Rare*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
i think people are taking too much of what he said out of context. maybe the plan is to have him replace Jokinen in 2 years.

And Feaster said top 6 "Forward" not center. Feaster like to lawyer people so he will say things like that to leave it wide open
to add to this he mentions being 1st line center and replacing Jokinen, well Jokinen didn't spend the last half of the season on the 1st line, so it seems a bit odd to me

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
lol. If Kreider loses the Calder to a Flames prospect it will be to the Chosven one.
Is Cervenka old enough to win the Calder for the Flames?

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:00 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 137
Quote:
i think people are taking too much of what he said out of context. maybe the plan is to have him replace Jokinen in 2 years.

And Feaster said top 6 "Forward" not center. Feaster like to lawyer people so he will say things like that to leave it wide open
No I have seen specific quotes from feaster saying "top two center". So unless some reporters are twisting his words. I have seen it a few times now.. And not sure how he can be taken out of context when he said he was hoping to start on the first line replacing OJ

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...algary-flames/
Quote:
Roman is a highly skilled player with great hands, excellent vision and the ability to score goals at an elite level of play. Our scouts in Europe identified him as someone who could slot into our top six forward group and play in the NHL as a top two line centre. John Weisbrod went to see him play early in the KHL Playoffs and came away confirming everything we had heard from our scouts in Europe. We made an aggressive pitch to convince him that Calgary was the perfect place for him to start his NHL career, and we are extremely pleased Roman agreed. We look forward to welcoming him to the Flames and our great city
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=630384
Quote:
“Roman is a highly skilled player with great hands, excellent vision and the ability to score goals at an elite level of play,” said Flames General Manager Jay Feaster. “Our scouts in Europe identified him as someone who could slot into our top six forward group and play in the NHL as a top two line centre.

Last edited by tmurfin: 05-03-2012 at 10:09 AM.
tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:57 AM
LukeD
On Fire

Tweeted by @capgeek today:

Quote:
Cervenka's bonuses totalling $2m are for Hart, Richard, Selke and Conn Smythe voting, all-star team selection, and top-10 scoring stats.

LukeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:02 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
That would be a well-earned four million.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:04 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
LOL,good ol Kip, he looked up his stats and saw he outscored Jagr on the same team and came up with that gem.

He'll never be a Jagr but I suspect a nice 50-60 point center if used properly,he might top out like a Plekanec or Elias.

Anyway,I was told that no less than a dozen teams were after him big time, Detroit, Washington, Toronto and Florida were mentioned. It's suspected he chose the Flames because they are a team with good snipers on the wings (Cammy,Iggy) but lack top center depth and possibly because he's good friends with teammate and future Flame Karri Ramo.
I assume he meant the current old man Jagr, not the guy who used to dominate the NHL. In that case, he might be pretty bang-on.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Finally he comes to NA. Never understood why no team would take a flyer on him. I've been a fan of his for years. Let's hope he can deliver on small ice.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
No I have seen specific quotes from feaster saying "top two center". So unless some reporters are twisting his words. I have seen it a few times now.. And not sure how he can be taken out of context when he said he was hoping to start on the first line replacing OJ

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...algary-flames/

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=630384
if Feaster is slotting him into the top 6 let alone the #1 center spot without a minute of NHL time he is a ****ing idiot, the guy wasn't even a center in the KHL he will be eaten alive in the NHL

Old
05-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
if true this contract could be a steal

Old
05-03-2012, 12:16 PM
blankall

Quote:
Feaster has said he sees him as being a top 2 C, Cervenka himself in the interview above says he was going to replace OJ and get a chance as the number 1 C.. So not sure if the stats you have are wrong or what, no knock against you, but all signs point to him being a C.
Jokinen did not play on the top line for the vast majority of last year. The two statements are not necessarily contradictory and Jokinen could be back.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:22 PM
LukeD
On Fire

Quote:
If he hits one of those it will be worth it.

LukeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:08 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Are the Flames strapped for cash or something? I'm not sure how the actual amount of money Cervenka gets payed decides whether this contract is a steal or not. The cap hit will be the same regardless and the ability of the Flames to build around this contract won't change.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:40 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Jokinen did not play on the top line for the vast majority of last year. The two statements are not necessarily contradictory and Jokinen could be back.
Doesnt change the fact that he was told he would be a replacement for him, and its only a one yr contract. So writing does seem to be on the wall. Even if OJ stays, we have an abundance of C's, Jokinen, Cervenka, Stajan, Backlund, Jones, Horak, and part time Cammy. So thats 6 players for 4 positions, not including Cammy. I dont see Jones or Horak going anywhere, Stajan and Backlund both have low value, Olli is most likely looking for a payday and Feaster has made it clear that changes will be made, Olli was a main contributor on our team, but when we needed him he was gone.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:42 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Are the Flames strapped for cash or something? I'm not sure how the actual amount of money Cervenka gets payed decides whether this contract is a steal or not. The cap hit will be the same regardless and the ability of the Flames to build around this contract won't change.
Its called a bonus cushion, not to mention the Flames have space to burn either way.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
value is still value whether you are short of money or not.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Doesnt change the fact that he was told he would be a replacement for him, and its only a one yr contract. So writing does seem to be on the wall. Even if OJ stays, we have an abundance of C's, Jokinen, Cervenka, Stajan, Backlund, Jones, Horak, and part time Cammy. So thats 6 players for 4 positions, not including Cammy. I dont see Jones or Horak going anywhere, Stajan and Backlund both have low value, Olli is most likely looking for a payday and Feaster has made it clear that changes will be made, Olli was a main contributor on our team, but when we needed him he was gone.
I see Horak moving to the wing or playing in Abbotsford. I also have this feeling Backlund will be moved, possibly for a defenseman

Old
05-03-2012, 02:39 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Had to overpay to get him over from KHL I'd guess. Thankfully for the Flames it's only one year, in case he busts.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:59 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Literally no risk in this signing. The flames have tons of cap space for next year so a cap hit of 3.775 doesn't matter and he has a shot to be a top 6 player. This most likely spells the end for Jokinen in Calgary perhaps he was playing hard ball and Feaster went else where.

TheHudlinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:00 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

Quote:
I see Horak moving to the wing or playing in Abbotsford. I also have this feeling Backlund will be moved, possibly for a defenseman
I dont see Backlund moving, who really knows though, I can definitely see Horak starting in the A though as well.. Kid needs some offensive confidence, something Backlund has never been able to get

Old
05-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I wonder if Bouwmeester's contract has a bonus clause with "Conn Smythe" on it.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Pi

Good signing..All it cost is money and if there were other teams, even Cervenka knows the Flames were the most desperate team and would give him the most opportunities.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Had to overpay to get him over from KHL I'd guess. Thankfully for the Flames it's only one year, in case he busts.
I am guessing you haven't read the full thread? its only a contract of 925k and most of the bonuses are basically unattainable (bonuses for the hart, richard, selke, conn smythe, being a 1st or 2nd team all-star, top 10 in scoring)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalken View Post
I wonder if Bouwmeester's contract has a bonus clause with "Conn Smythe" on it.
I wonder if trolls actually understand the game, judging by your post.... no they don't

only ELCs, 1year 35+ contracts and guys who have missed a ton of injuries the previous year can get bonuses in their contracts

Old
05-03-2012, 05:00 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Literally no risk in this signing. The flames have tons of cap space for next year so a cap hit of 3.775 doesn't matter and he has a shot to be a top 6 player. This most likely spells the end for Jokinen in Calgary perhaps he was playing hard ball and Feaster went else where.
I don't see why Jokinen couldn't be back.

Jokinen takes up one top 6 spot. That leaves Cervenka, Stajan, and Backlund to compete for the other. None of those three are a guarantee and relying on them to fill out 2 top 6 spots between the three is very risky. Even with Jokinen back, there's a chance you'd see Cammy moved back to centre.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Cervenka was someone I was always interested in seeing get a shot. Looking forward to seeing how he does.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

The next Fabian Brunnstrom.

Huntershin Karuk is offline   Reply With Quote