HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 3 - Blues @ Kings 5/3/12

Old
05-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Capn Brown

vCash: 500
Game 3 - Blues @ Kings 5/3/12

Dwight King is a -4 in the playoffs....

Defensively, King looks to be our only consistent liability.

Should Sutter swap King out of the lineup with somebody else? If so, who?

Discuss.

Last edited by TonySCV: 05-01-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: made thread generic pre-game discussion
Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 10:37 AM
reset
Puck Luck

king has been having a tough go, i agree

voynov also

reset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Defensively, King looks to be our only consistent liability.

Should Sutter swap King out of the lineup with somebody else? If so, who?

Discuss.
Not a chance. He's in the heads of the Blues. He's having a tough playoffs, but the experience is what he needs. No reason to take him out of the lineup.

If Gagne was 100% and in game shape, sure you put him in, but he hasn't played since December and isn't only at 90%.

Parse? Not a chance, he's way out of shape and was a disaster last season against SJ when he came back too soon.

I don't think any of the Black Aces are ready for NHL playoff hockey.

Blues have no answer for the Kings size up front and you want to take out a 6'3"
230 winger? No way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reset View Post
king has been having a tough go, i agree

voynov also
They are NHL rookies. Of course they are going to make mistakes. The Kings are 6-1 in the playoffs and people want to make roster changes? Jesus, I thought Terry Murray was here long enough to show that making changes for the sake of making changes doesn't work.

Moving Penner to the 2nd line is exactly the move they needed to make. No reason to take King out.

I don't think I would even replace King with Clifford.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Inserting Clifford in for King would be ideal normally IMO. Although it would be hard to change what's working.

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I agreed with his demotion, but I wouldn't take him out of the lineup. He has been battling and there is no one that can replace him effectively. Clifford's head is mush now, and Loktionov doesn't have the physicality. King has size and fight along the boards.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 11:58 AM
KingsCourt

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

KingsCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:10 PM
SLang

I couldn't help but think about the kids on this team last night. Especially when the going got rough and intense.

I mean, I know it's not really GDT material and all, but damn, you throw guys like King, Voynov, hell, even Doughty and Kopitar, who've never been this far in the playoffs, into the intensity of these games....what must they be thinking?

I've had to operate at a pretty high level myself, in terms of competition, intensity, pressure and risk - but I can't even fathom what these kids are playing through.

It's awesome to watch.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:13 PM
The Big Giant Head

vCash: 50
Can we talk about Dustin Penner? This guy has been a beast...considering he's a FA this season, any thoughts based on how he's performing on re-signing him?

I've been counting the days that his ass would be gone but he's been killing it in these playoffs and his game 2 performance last night opened my eyes up. Plus his personality has got to be a positive factor in the locker room and around the team. Im thinking if we can get a discounted contract, i'd like to see him back.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
Can we talk about Dustin Penner? This guy has been a beast...considering he's a FA this season, any thoughts based on how he's performing on re-signing him?

I've been counting the days that his ass would be gone but he's been killing it in these playoffs and his game 2 performance last night opened my eyes up. Plus his personality has got to be a positive factor in the locker room and around the team. Im thinking if we can get a discounted contract, i'd like to see him back.
It's definitely creating a strange situation. Do we ignore 90% of his tenure with the Kings due to his current ass kicking? Heck, I'm not sure he'd even want to stay here after how rough it has been. Between his play, and his twitter , I'd actually be ok with taking another shot on him. Can always hide him in the AHL if the wheels come off again.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave33 View Post
It's definitely creating a strange situation. Do we ignore 90% of his tenure with the Kings due to his current ass kicking? Heck, I'm not sure he'd even want to stay here after how rough it has been. Between his play, and his twitter , I'd actually be ok with taking another shot on him. Can always hide him in the AHL if the wheels come off again.
I think Penner likes it in LA and fits with the room. He had off-ice issues and they are now past, which can affect anyone’s job performance. Even professional athletes, they aren't robots.

Quick and Brown both struggled after their first child was born, off-ice pressure can affect on-ice performance, positive and negative.

Penner didn't forget how to play hockey at a high level. I was for re-signing Penner before the playoffs, he turned the corner before the season even ended. He would be cheaper than Parise and already fits in the room.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I'd say Dwight King won that fight last night btw. Crombeen finally got what he was looking for and I'm not sure if he was expecting that. I didn't know King could handle himself like that. I know his brother is fighter guy but I guess Dwight has some skillz too.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:00 PM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I think Penner likes it in LA and fits with the room. He had off-ice issues and they are now past, which can affect anyone’s job performance. Even professional athletes, they aren't robots.

Quick and Brown both struggled after their first child was born, off-ice pressure can affect on-ice performance, positive and negative.

Penner didn't forget how to play hockey at a high level. I was for re-signing Penner before the playoffs, he turned the corner before the season even ended. He would be cheaper than Parise and already fits in the room.
I would agree with that. Brown wasnt the same the rest of the season that year his son was born. I think everyone has been through relationship problems and can understand how depressing it be and the psychological torment depending on the situation. In any case...he's been incredible and i've always liked his personality based on his interviews and twitter responses. Hopefully, he can be resigned at a low cap hit for 1 season and see how he does.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Perro

Voynov had a terrible game last night, but I would not take him out as he has been solid in the playoffs so far. One off night for a rookie is bound to happen, that's why we have the vets to help compensate for when it does.
If King were to come out I would like to see Cliff going back in. If things get more chippy maybe Garth, but right now I would only substitute King for Cliff.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post

why not get both.I agree I thought Penner was stillvery servicable and I was in favor of re-signing him, however to a lessor contract around the 2-3 mil range. I fear now that his price tag may be going back up to 4mil.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:28 PM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
why not get both.I agree I thought Penner was stillvery servicable and I was in favor of re-signing him, however to a lessor contract around the 2-3 mil range. I fear now that his price tag may be going back up to 4mil.
Well the ball will be in his court...We'll be fine with or without him. Hopefully, DL will offer up a 1yr 2.5mil contract MAX and if he takes it great, if not and gets a better offer somewhere else then good for him. Point is i hope we at least make an offer to bring him back and like i said, either way we'll be just fine. I dont think his price tag will inflate too much based on the playoffs so far, to many teams will be concerned about his lackluster regular season play.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:28 PM
jml87

With the position they are in, Game 3 will be the toughest. Blues are going to come out firing, no doubt, and Kings have to do the same.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
With the position they are in, Game 3 will be the toughest. Blues are going to come out firing, no doubt, and Kings have to do the same.
There always seems to be one series in the playoffs in which a team comes back from 0-2. I hope it's the Nashville series.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:32 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I'd say Dwight King won that fight last night btw. Crombeen finally got what he was looking for and I'm not sure if he was expecting that. I didn't know King could handle himself like that. I know his brother is fighter guy but I guess Dwight has some skillz too.
I think people forget that King is 6'3 230 pounds. That is Westy size, that can actually play Hockey.

King is no slouch with the Mitts dropped, the AHL is not kind to soft players. I think Linden Vey said it best about the AHL "You are playing against Men in this league"

Last edited by damacles1156: 05-01-2012 at 02:05 PM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:37 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Game 3 will be the tough. Blues will put everything on the line because it's almost a must win. Kings gotta play simple and not try and be fancy for the LA crowd. I get so much more nervous with home games than road games.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Came by to give props to Penner , He is driving to net making things happen doing the things that brought him into the NHL. Go Kings Go.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:03 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Game 3 will be the tough. Blues will put everything on the line because it's almost a must win. Kings gotta play simple and not try and be fancy for the LA crowd. I get so much more nervous with home games than road games.
I agree, I hope they play a road-style game. I feel the same nervousness too, but then I remember that the team has had much better results at home under Sutter than we did under the Murray regime. It was interesting because I specifically remember Sutter making a comment to the press that they really needed to start defending their home ice better and then things started to turn around.

It seems that this team is bent on breaking previous tendencies. Quick had a fantastic round one after uneven outings the last 2 playoffs. Brown has turned it on. The team didn't play like an underdog holding onto an upset bid versus the Canucks and finished them in 5. Now, the challenge is winning the majority of their home games. They do that, and we're going places.

The additions of Sutter, Richards and Carter are huge. Even though they didn't win, we added the captain and assistant captain of a recent Stanley Cup finalist. That has to help having that kind of experience when it's time to put your foot down on the neck of an opponent. When I get anxious that they'll slip into past failures, I see that we have Mike f'ing Richards centering on our second line with Jeff Carter on his wing as opposed to the likes of Michal Handzus. That's gotta count for something.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Voynov had a terrible game last night....
I wouldn't say that. The dude had one bad pass. Oh well.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:45 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

All signs prior to this series indicated that Sutter was/is expecting a great performance from Penner against the Blues. I wonder if Sutter sat down with him one-on-one before the series or if he just had a feeling. Probably both.

Penner is a totally different player when he is moving his feet and playing with confidence. Looks really good right now with Carter and Richards.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:45 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Don't change anything right now, it seems to be working quite well.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:47 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I think people forget that King is 6'3 230 pounds. That is Westy size, that can actually play Hockey.

King is no slouch with the Mitts dropped, the AHL is not kind to soft players. I think Linden Vey said it best about the AHL "You are playing against Men in this league"
Another reason why just about every player should spend some time there. I know that Johnson is no longer our concern, but I think a year in the AHL would have done him a lot of good.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote