*OFFICIAL* Sudbury Wolves 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 06:14 PM
djscooter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorieu View Post
Fair enough DJ, your comments are reasonable. It would indeed appear that all this negativity stems largely from the recent Burgess fiasco. I am just as outraged and disapointed as any of you that Marc Burgess clearly put his interests ahead of the teams but it shouldn't colour our judgement of everything management does to try to improve. I hope the Burgess thing goes away like a bad dream but short of not going to the games, I'm not sure what else we can do. I'll tell you, judging from Sefton's reaction the Wolves must be doing something right because that kid appeared very emotional about leaving...even though his chances at a championship had improved beyond compare. As far as Corrado, he was a very good player and an outstanding ambassador for the team. Although he was good at both ends of the ice I do not believe he excels in any one area to the extent that is claimed, though I wish him all the luck in the world.
There's no doubt any kid who has been with an organization from 16 years old until 19 is going to have a huge emotional attachment to the team. It's a shame to see him go, and while I do understand why they move players. I don't understand the level of return comparatively to what other teams are getting for their vets.

Much like Section19 this will likely be my last year as a season ticket holder. Atleast until young Burgess is gone. Ideally after that Mark will sell the team to someone who wants to bring a true winner to Sudbury, as the fans here definitely deserve it.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:22 PM
howlman

Quote:
What I can't accept and has come to light this year is not fielding the best lineup possible. When the team is being ran by the owner, I have an issue. When the team starts to suffer due to many players refusing to report in trades, I have an issue. When the team loses multiple staff members in the same offseason due to them acknowledging what a clown show it has become, I have an issue.
Couldn't agree more, well stated. Hard not to be negative of this organization with everything that surrounds Burgess and his ego. As for Corrado and Leivo, agreed these two are studs, I just feel the Wolves didn't get fair value for their top guns. I love watching OHL hockey, it's the best hockey that Sudbury has to offer. I have been a season ticket holder for many years now but I am done after this year mostly due to the Burgess fiasco. I'm not the only one, many people who sit around my section are also not renewing and are fed up with the politics and how this team is run starting with Burgess. I fully expect a drop in season ticket sales next season for good reason, I wonder if Mark Burgess will catch on... Good luck to Corrado, Leivo, Vienneau and Sefton with their new teams and good luck to all the new guys coming in. Question to everyone... When will the Wolves become true contenders in the OHL? My guess is when the Wolves have new ownership but I could be wrong!!!

Old
01-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Buddy23

I have been as guilty as most in complaining about this team both on online boards and anyone with a set of ears that was prepared to listen. As a background I have been a season ticket holder the past 25 years and before that 2 years during their early years in the league!
Here's the thing, all of us are here on these boards because we love hockey. We've seen future NHLers play here and we've all cheered the wins and mourned the losses. Personally the Owen Sound series in 89/90 still haunts me! But through all that we look forward to another year and another chance to be champions.
This year has brought out alot of frustration in me for much of the reasons that have been bantered about and while the team has been on a hot streak I personally don't believe this team is going to far. With or without these trades!
I was and am a strong advocate to trade our best that won't return for a chance to improve for next year and onwards. Do I like the trades .... I think they were worth more than we got but as we've all read and heard at least three other potential trades have fallen through because of players refusing to report! That said at the very least we now have 4 good players that will be here at least one more year after this and a minimum of 4 additional picks. Picks that could be used to get additional players at next years deadline to make a better run at winning the East next year and an automatic birth into the Memorial cup!
I for one will now renew my seasons tickets because the team is at least trying to improve rather than the stand pat policy they've employed recently.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Squeet

As a long time season ticket holder, I will not be renewing either. Due entirely to the Burgess BS. I can clearly see Blaine Smith doing what he can and getting what he can for the players that have been traded. The policy of standing pat at the deadline has never been my fav mindset, so I'm glad Smith pulled the trigger. We as fans, whether we like it or not...are stuck with an ego driven owner bent on building this team around his son who is simply not skilled enough to play in his league.
I've loved watching players like the ones traded develop and wish I could watch guys like Kahun do the same. But my only voice is my debit card. I'm out till young Burgess is out. And I'm sad because of it.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Squeet

an just a side note/question...Braid traded or sent home? If sent home, why?

Old
01-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Section19

He was released.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Squeet

For voicing an opinion no doubt. Good luck to him, he's a quality kid.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:12 PM
howlman

With the new guys coming in, team could look something like this:

Forwards:

Pancel Campagna Baptiste - No. 1 line is on fire Campagna is emerging as a player.
Silk Harris Kantor - Kantor replaces Leivo on this line should be interesting to see if Harris can continue his hot play of late with Leivo gone.
Kubalik Kahun Schmalz - Perfect opportunity to see your new prized acquisition in Schmalz play along side two skilled players.
Cull Desrochers Huether - solid line defensively and Desrochers keeps getting better and better with playing time and should NEVER sit out for Burgess.

Defence:

Corbett Dodero - Good shut down pair more ice time now for Corbett to show his stuff and I predict he will be drafted in the upcoming NHL draft.
Genovese Raine - Both new additions thrown into a top 4 role a mean physical pairing that will bring alot of nastiness to opposing forwards hopefully they can play solid shut down defence.
Dehaan Cummins - Young pairing stays intact and continue to improve.

Goalies:

Palazzese - Prized acquisition a big upgrade over Vienneau and can steal games.
Dupuis - Still needs to get some games in and keep improving.

Go Wolves Go!

Old
01-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Squeet

What a ride the rest of this season will be. Good luck to all the new kids, pissed off fans and the hogtied staff. Oh and to all the kids who refused to report (while I do kinda understand) screw all y'all!!

Old
01-10-2013, 06:09 AM
Hockeyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlman View Post

Forwards:

Pancel Campagna Baptiste - No. 1 line is on fire Campagna is emerging as a player.
Silk Harris Kantor - Kantor replaces Leivo on this line should be interesting to see if Harris can continue his hot play of late with Leivo gone.
Kubalik Kahun Schmalz - Perfect opportunity to see your new prized acquisition in Schmalz play along side two skilled players.
Cull Desrochers Huether - solid line defensively and Desrochers keeps getting better and better with playing time and should NEVER sit out for Burgess.

Defence:

Corbett Dodero - Good shut down pair more ice time now for Corbett to show his stuff and I predict he will be drafted in the upcoming NHL draft.
Genovese Raine - Both new additions thrown into a top 4 role a mean physical pairing that will bring alot of nastiness to opposing forwards hopefully they can play solid shut down defence.

Goalies:

Go Wolves Go!
As much as I 100% agree with your line up it just won't happen. Coach Cull has kids pidgeon holed into specific roles - regardless how they have played for him this year.

I won't say anymore about specifics but that is just the way he coaches. He had a set role for all the kids set up at start of the year and will run with it right to the bitter end, unless injuries happen.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:50 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorieu View Post
Man what a bunch of whiners we have in Sudbury First off let me say I am not a fairweather fan that started going to the odd game within the last 10 years. Having spent a small fortune by living and dying with this franchise for decades the way I have (think 80's), I am aware of and have shared in the frustration, disapointment and agony of being a Woves fanatic as much as anyone, save perhaps for a senior citizen!!

I have also voiced my displeasure with many of managements' decisions over the years (including this years fiasco) so I'm in no way attempting to excuse all of their failings, but for the love of God I am so sick and tired of the perpetual negativity being spewed by what is more than likely a very vocal minority.

For example, many of you have been critical of the recent deal with the Rangers, likely the same people that accuse the Wolves management of always standing pat and being content to make the playoffs each year! What did you expect for Leivo and Corrado? Are you delusional enough to think the Wolves had a serous shot of winning the East because they've found a way to eek out a string of wins lately? How much do you really know about the players coming back? It would seem logical to me to reserve judgement until at least next season but no, all we have are wailing and moaning all over the hockey forums and our own paper. Very welcoming to the new kids

As to this rumour. Do you really think Sefton is that good? I'm sorry he isn't (and neither was Corrado as much as I liked the kid), he is tough but his skill is limited, he takes stupid penalties and his offensive ability is non existent. Could Raine be that much worse? Seriously how about welcoming the new players to the city instead of your incessant belly aching. It's really getting sickening. Some of you have been negative for so long, you seem to revel in it and can no longer be positive about anything. If following this franchise makes you that unhappy, perhaps you should find a new hobby.

Agree with your analysis.

Corrado, Leivo and Sefton are good present day players. BUT WE ARE IN IT FOR NEXT YEAR. SO THESE PRESENT DAY PLAYERS WILL BE USELESS.

In recent years, BS had the opportunity to trade Foligno and the boys for the next year, and he didnt because they thought they could win, and they didnt. Last year they could have traded Sgarbossa but didnt because they thought they could win, but got humiliated in the first round 4-0 sweep to Brampton. THEY ALWAYS THINK THEY COULD WIN IN THE PRESENT. WRONG.

This year BS has smartened up and realized that they have a greater chance next year to make it to the Mem Cup, especially if London gets to host the Mem Cup, all they have to do is win the EAST. They have 3 solid lines coming back, and with the inclusion of Palazzese, Raine , Schmaltz and Genovese, plus draft picks, they should be a top Eastern contender.

This year, at best they would have won maybe a round. NO USE IN MORTGAGING THE FUTURE AGAIN FOR 1 ROUND TRIUMPH.

BS is taking the chance on next year's team, and I agree with him totally.

We lost good present day players, but no Superstars. We received serviceable players for the future, and even present.

Well done Blaine Smith.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:56 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlman View Post

Forwards:

Defence:

Goalies:

Go Wolves Go!

Agree with your analysis, but Kantor will be playing with Kubalik and Kahun.

Silk will play Harris and Schmaltz.

We also have to remember that Vilardi may be come to play on the 3rd line next year.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:02 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeet View Post
an just a side note/question...Braid traded or sent home? If sent home, why?

He was also sent home before his first game back, as coach Cull wanted him to play forward and he said no, and he was told to go home. They talked it out, and he played that night and had 2 points as a forward.

He is an intense kid, with alot of heart, but can sometimes rattle too many feathers. Maybe this time, enough was enough with the Wolves brass and they saw the new players coming in and didnt want any further "cancers" in the dressing room.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:04 AM
chewerjones

Now, who gets the C and the A's?

For me it would be Kantor-C, Dodero, Campagna, Silk as A's (maybe Harris and Baptiste as outside favourites)

Old
01-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Squeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Now, who gets the C and the A's?

For me it would be Kantor-C, Dodero, Campagna, Silk as A's (maybe Harris and Baptiste as outside favourites)
I'd agree with that for sure. I think Kantor should have been given a letter to start the yr actually but what do I know, I've just been a season ticket holder for 20yrs and can't spot character at all. lol

Old
01-11-2013, 03:25 PM
chewerjones

confirmed on Sudbury website

Kantor Captain

Dodero A
Silk A
Campagna A
Pancel A

Old
01-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Loosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
confirmed on Sudbury website

Kantor Captain

Dodero A
Silk A
Campagna A
Pancel A
The article on the Wolves site has really has them selling these trades as a 'next year' trade and setting them up as underdogs for the rest of the season. Which this really is.

I do find it funny that people are *****ing and complaining about the moves today and not keeping Leivo and Corrado. As much as I would love to see them finish off their junior career as Wolves I'm very happy with this trade. These same poeple would ***** and complain if the did nothing and were out in the first round.

Again being in Kitchener I've seen alot of Palazeese, and Wolves fans will be very impressed with him.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:51 PM
WolvesFan
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
The article on the Wolves site has really has them selling these trades as a 'next year' trade and setting them up as underdogs for the rest of the season. Which this really is.

I do find it funny that people are *****ing and complaining about the moves today and not keeping Leivo and Corrado. As much as I would love to see them finish off their junior career as Wolves I'm very happy with this trade. These same poeple would ***** and complain if the did nothing and were out in the first round.

Again being in Kitchener I've seen alot of Palazeese, and Wolves fans will be very impressed with him.
Just Got home from the Game, And I have to say Palazeese Was nothing short of AMAZING!! He can do things that JV Could never have done. His puck handling for one is Fantastic!! I'm VERY excited to continue to see him play for this year and next.

The new D-men (Raine and Genovese) I thought they each played a solid game, with no penalties!!! Hopefully they keep up this style of play more!! Excited to see what is to come!!

Schmalz had minimal shifts, but from what I saw he has the makings of a solid power forward in the league. He knows how to throw his weight around, and also had some good scoring chances. Be Excited about this kid Wolves Fans!!

On a less positive note, CB got hit hard in the first period, from what it looked like it was a cheap shot, He seemed to be in alot pain and needed to be helped off the ice. It is unfortunate that this had to happened, but everyone knew that the more he played, that it was only a matter of time before something like this happened. From the look of things from where I was sitting, I would think that something happened to his knee, Because as soon as he went down he was holding it, and visibly in alot of pain. It really is to bad and I feel for the kid.

On the whole it was a great game and the wolves came out on top with a 2-0 win, and Palazeese getting his first shutout in a wolves uniform. GO WOLVES GO

Old
01-11-2013, 10:22 PM
chewerjones

Agreed with last poster.

Wolves played a good game and Palazzese stood on his head. Hopefully he can keep it up.

It was difficult for the team, given all the new players and the fact that they had to gel together. They came out cautious and sloppy, but regrouped by the 2nd period and held on to win against a good team.

Kantor played with alot of fight in his game and glad to see he is back.

Coach Cull has to ensure that he has a 2nd scoring line.

Defence looked ok out there and you can see guys like Cummins and DeHaan playing with confidence.

Wolves can be a solid East team this year, and with all but 2 guys coming back next year they can be a serious contender.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:58 PM
djscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolvesFan View Post
On a less positive note, CB got hit hard in the first period, from what it looked like it was a cheap shot, He seemed to be in alot pain and needed to be helped off the ice. It is unfortunate that this had to happened, but everyone knew that the more he played, that it was only a matter of time before something like this happened. From the look of things from where I was sitting, I would think that something happened to his knee, Because as soon as he went down he was holding it, and visibly in alot of pain. It really is to bad and I feel for the kid.
How is it a cheap shot? He got caught with a clean hit. He was standing still and put himself in a vulnerable situation. This is bound to happen when you have a player of this calibre on the ice in a physical game. By the looks of it his leg folded backwards and I would guess he dislocated his kneecap.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:19 PM
WolvesFan
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscooter View Post
How is it a cheap shot? He got caught with a clean hit. He was standing still and put himself in a vulnerable situation. This is bound to happen when you have a player of this calibre on the ice in a physical game. By the looks of it his leg folded backwards and I would guess he dislocated his kneecap.
I was just trying to keep the peace, but I guess there is no need... I do feel bad for him, but Im also glad that other young players may get a chance to show what they can do, because of his injury!!

Old
01-11-2013, 11:28 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

So Cull has been out the last couple games... injured? scratched? heading home?

Old
01-11-2013, 11:38 PM
WolvesFan
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
So Cull has been out the last couple games... injured? scratched? heading home?
I think He has the Flu, But I've been wrong before.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:16 AM
Squeet

I was told it's concussion symptoms. saw him rn into another player last home game...

Old
01-12-2013, 08:02 AM
Buddy23

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscooter View Post
Have to agree with you! It was bound to happen, a clean open ice hit the ref's made no call either.

Closed Thread