*OFFICIAL* Sudbury Wolves 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Section19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
You had me until you mentioned Kuchin taking hits to make a play???????????? Are you for real. He may as well have worn a black and white jersey, for all the lack of hitting and traffic he avoided. It is clear that you have something against MC.

Sgarbossa was a star, but he was also a big suck. How many times when he got hit, he would skate to the bench and forget about his team and the play. Leivo is a competitive player with good hands and size, but not all are blessed like him.

IF MC is useless, then Sudbury has no chance next year. Because they dont have anyone on the team that has half his talent or ability. Bottom line. Pancel does compete, but thats it. If MC doesnt go, then the team doesnt go. See the relation.

There are 30 NHL teams that would love to have players like Kessel, Nicklas Backstrom, St. Louis. All these players are soft and dont bang the corners like you insist, but are very effective in their roles. Not everyone can be a Meathead out there.
Dear Mr. Campagna, please tell your son to request a trade to Mississauga so he can play James Boyd hockey and take over the hockey universe. Thank you.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Section19

BTW, best heckle I heard from the crowd on Thursday and (all this year for that matter) wasn't even directed at a Belleville player. It happened after the whistle blew in Belleville's end and a Belleville player started pushing Campagna around.

"Hey Campagna, why don't you hit him with your purse!"

Old
04-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Frmrscout9171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section19 View Post
Dear Mr. Campagna, please tell your son to request a trade to Mississauga so he can play James Boyd hockey and take over the hockey universe. Thank you.
MC is a good player but he definitely has some deficiencies to his game. He lacks maturity. Chewer, it sounds like you are his dad or his land parent. You are looking through very rose coloured glasses. He is not very involved physically and he doesn't come back hard to help out in the d zone. If he were more competitive and skated harder to help out on the defensive side of the game he wouldh've been drafted by now. NHL teams want players that compete hard and play strong away from the puck. MC is a one way player right now. He still has time to learn and to strengthen his game but he will have to commit to playing a much more competitive style of game. Please do not compare him to Marty St. Louis who plays 10 times harder and has a lot more skill. There is no comparison as far as speed and the urgency he plays with. He is one of the top 10 players in the world.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:35 PM
djscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frmrscout9171 View Post
MC is a good player but he definitely has some deficiencies to his game. He lacks maturity. Chewer, it sounds like you are his dad or his land parent. You are looking through very rose coloured glasses. He is not very involved physically and he doesn't come back hard to help out in the d zone. If he were more competitive and skated harder to help out on the defensive side of the game he wouldh've been drafted by now. NHL teams want players that compete hard and play strong away from the puck. MC is a one way player right now. He still has time to learn and to strengthen his game but he will have to commit to playing a much more competitive style of game. Please do not compare him to Marty St. Louis who plays 10 times harder and has a lot more skill. There is no comparison as far as speed and the urgency he plays with. He is one of the top 10 players in the world.
Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:29 PM
devils55

sudbury

Do you guys believe oakville boys Kyle Capobianco (1st rounder-2013) and Stefan Leblanc (7th rounder-2012) have a shot at cracking 2014 wolves roster ?

Old
04-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Hockeyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils55 View Post
Do you guys believe oakville boys Kyle Capobianco (1st rounder-2013) and Stefan Leblanc (7th rounder-2012) have a shot at cracking 2014 wolves roster ?
For sure Capobianco. Leblanc may be a longer shot but believe with the changes that are coming that there will be chance for the longer shots.

He just needs to show them his stuff at the rookie camp in May.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:07 PM
djscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils55 View Post
Both should be locks with them both being better than a couple current roster d-men. The wolves defensive core is serious lacking offence beyond De haan and these two could bring that.

However from what I've heard I won't be the least bit suprised if Leblanc goes the NCAA route.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Hockeyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscooter View Post
Both should be locks with them both being better than a couple current roster d-men. The wolves defensive core is serious lacking offence beyond De haan and these two could bring that.

However from what I've heard I won't be the least bit suprised if Leblanc goes the NCAA route.
From a reliable source close to the Wolves organization - to be traded before next season - Silk, Harris, Desroachers, Thibadeau, Genovese and Dupuis. The idea is to make room for top 3 player.

Also, captaincy being pushed towards Raine. This all coming out after the year end banquet on Friday evening.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Arsenault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfriend View Post
From a reliable source close to the Wolves organization - to be traded before next season - Silk, Harris, Desroachers, Thibadeau, Genovese and Dupuis. The idea is to make room for top 3 player.

Also, captaincy being pushed towards Raine. This all coming out after the year end banquet on Friday evening.
What do you mean, make room for Top 3?

Old
04-15-2013, 02:34 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:

This was also said about Campagna last year so who knows if it happens.. Wouldnt mind Genovese in the Petes lineup.. Id give ya Varga and a pick.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Hockeyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
What do you mean, make room for Top 3?
A top 3 calibre player - ie. a proven 25-30 goal scorer. Not meaning they would take the place of Campagna, Pancel or Baptiste but push to be on that line...maybe play with the Domenic's moving Schmaltz to 3rd line with Heuter and ???

Cull has proven that he is not a Desroachers or Harris fan with how he plays them all over the place (or sitting like they did with Desroachers). Thibadeau is not good enough to be an OA on this team next year. Silk will not settle into the 3rd or lower line up.

Dupuis we know about. Genovese was ok but not what was expected and with the kids they drafted (mostly D early on) they would put them in the line-up.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:59 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
BTW, best heckle I heard from the crowd on Thursday and (all this year for that matter) wasn't even directed at a Belleville player. It happened after the whistle blew in Belleville's end and a Belleville player started pushing Campagna around.

"Hey Campagna, why don't you hit him with your purse!"
I am not his dad, or have any family ties to the kid. I just think you need to give the kid a break.

Why dont you and Djscooter man up and tell us your real thoughts about what the Wolves should do next year and which players they have that are the superstars that you are looking for. Players that can compete 150%, score, shoot and playmake. I want to hear it directly from your mouth.

Stop sitting on the fence both of you and attacking kids, and let me know who your Wolves stars are, and who will lead them into the promised land. If it were up to you 2, you would have a team full of Kantors, Silks and Desrochers.

What a championship team you would have

Old
04-15-2013, 03:00 PM
chewerjones

Quote:

I appreciate your opinion Hockey Friend, and you post seems very similar to the ones I have been posting for awhile now.

Unfortunately, for Section19, and Djscooter, their superstar players will be cast away by trade. Oh what will the Wolves do without Harris, and Desrocher and Silk.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:15 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frmrscout9171 View Post

Who on the Wolves has the qualities that you are looking for above? and are effective players?

Old
04-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Hockeyfriend

Quote:
I appreciate your opinion Hockey Friend, and you post seems very similar to the ones I have been posting for awhile now.

Unfortunately, for Section19, and Djscooter, their superstar players will be cast away by trade. Oh what will the Wolves do without Harris, and Desrocher and Silk.
From what I heard, it does look realistic that these things could happen. Whether those three plus the other I mentioned earlier are used as part of a trade or not, they will not be here next year. Wolves do have some future draft picks they can use to build for a good run in 2014 and 2015.

These three forwards are all over the map on where/when they are played which to me means Cull hasn't figured out a plan for them...management more than likely too.

Harris was on a good pace with Leivo and as soon as Leiov was traded Kuhun came back - at the same time - and he was put to 3rd line playing wing with Kantor who really is a non-passer. Silk saw the same fait in playing with Kantor for until he was hurt. His effort was good but non-productive. I have said it before - Kantor, very gritty and a hard worker but once he earned the C he tried to do far too much on his own. Desroachers - well, he was all over tha map, in and out of the lineup, etc. Thibadeau was given way more than him and as far as giving an effort, he did do that but down the stretch it was loyalty to Thibadeau that kept him in the line-up. Those three were treated as a group of players that Cull had no room for.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:26 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
From what I heard, it does look realistic that these things could happen. Whether those three plus the other I mentioned earlier are used as part of a trade or not, they will not be here next year. Wolves do have some future draft picks they can use to build for a good run in 2014 and 2015.

These three forwards are all over the map on where/when they are played which to me means Cull hasn't figured out a plan for them...management more than likely too.

Harris was on a good pace with Leivo and as soon as Leiov was traded Kuhun came back - at the same time - and he was put to 3rd line playing wing with Kantor who really is a non-passer. Silk saw the same fait in playing with Kantor for until he was hurt. His effort was good but non-productive. I have said it before - Kantor, very gritty and a hard worker but once he earned the C he tried to do far too much on his own. Desroachers - well, he was all over tha map, in and out of the lineup, etc. Thibadeau was given way more than him and as far as giving an effort, he did do that but down the stretch it was loyalty to Thibadeau that kept him in the line-up. Those three were treated as a group of players that Cull had no room for.

Wolves have too many run of the mill type players and need to move them out, as you and I have indicated.

Also, with Kantor and his compete level, 2nd to none,and a fan favourite, but at the end of the day, the guy ended up with 30 pts and so many penalty minutes. And besides his injury time off, he played tonnes of minutes on PP and 5 on 5. There was a reason that SSM traded him for Mintz and Jambrosich.

WE NEED SKILLED PLAYERS. WE CANT BE LIKE MISSY, WHERE ALL THEY HAVE IS ROBOTS. WITHOUT SKILLED PLAYERS YOU WILL NOT WIN. YOU NEED TO BALANCE SKILL WITH COMPETE, AND HAVE YOUR ROLE PLAYERS.

I still believe that Coach Cull will not be there next year, and if he is, then we may say Goodbye to any chance of winning the championships. That dressing room will be a nightmare and disfunctional.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:31 PM
chewerjones

Quote:

Raine will not make a good captain. He is a great kid and a tough hitter, but he got schooled twice by Gaunce in one of the last playoff games. Gaunce is an avg skater at best.

Raine would be a great Assistant Captain, like Dodero this year.

You need to set an example on the team and go with your 3 best/valuable players as C, A and A, with Raine as 4th A. If you want to show the fans, and the team that your are serious for the run this year and next, you have to instill serious measures. Not have 7 people with letters on their jerseys, and then the changeroom is a mess.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:58 PM
djscooter

Quote:
I am not his dad, or have any family ties to the kid. I just think you need to give the kid a break.

Why dont you and Djscooter man up and tell us your real thoughts about what the Wolves should do next year and which players they have that are the superstars that you are looking for. Players that can compete 150%, score, shoot and playmake. I want to hear it directly from your mouth.

Stop sitting on the fence both of you and attacking kids, and let me know who your Wolves stars are, and who will lead them into the promised land. If it were up to you 2, you would have a team full of Kantors, Silks and Desrochers.

What a championship team you would have
What I want to see and what we will see are two different things. Realistically I don't think the wolves 94s are strong enough to build a contender around unless a lot of players take large leaps forward this coming year.

I see no reason to bring back players like Huether, Cull, Thibodeau, Genoevse, Prong, McFadden or Dupuis. Nor do I see much trade value in any of them.

I'd like to see Campagna, Harris and Cummins moved.

Campagna we've been over, I don't feel the need to rehash that argument. Harris while great with Leivo left a lot to be desired over the rest of the year. He also tends to spend his time rotating between injured and coming back from an injury. Cummins really lacked development as the year went, and actually, in my eyes regressed. I see better younger defencemen who are likely already ahead of his development curve.

Up front that leaves returning Baptiste, Pancel, Kubalik, Kahun, Silk, Schmalz, Desrochers. If Schmalz puts on some weight over the summer and his skills develop he could easily continue to see himself slotted in beside Kubalik and Kahun. Obviously the depature of Campagna would leave a hole in the top 6 but you'd assume it would be filled as part of the return.

The top 6 is where I expect and hope the wolves will inject some serious youth into the lineup. I'd expect Colten Spicer, Dylan Callaghan, Tyler Peters and Dylan Wettlaufer to compete with new draftees David Zeppieri and Noah Robinson for 4-5 spots behind Silk and Desrochers. I'd expect Spicer to join Desrochers and Silk on the third line. While Callaghan, Peters and Wettlaufer shared the duty of babysitting Connor Burgess on the fourth line. Giving Zeppieri and Robinson time to refine their games in Jr. A and Major Midget respectively.

On the backend you likely have to carry 8 d-men and run under the assumption that Corbett will be hurt more often then not. While the defensive core of will be the weak spot of the team moving a combination of Harris, Vilardi and Cummins could likely bring in a solid top 4 defensive defencemen. Raine, De Haan, Corbett round out the top 4 while healthy. The remaining 3-4 slots could be filled with some serious youth. Based on his performance in the few playoffs games he played I feel like Eccles is a true lock for the team. Defensively he played a top notch game. Capobianco is another lock for the squad. Leblanc should he report would likely make the team, but at this point i'll run with the assumption that he won't report. Leaving Austin Clapham, Chase Hawley to compete with guys like Tyler Prong and Zach McFadden for the final spot.

I net it's obviously a no brainer with Frankie tending the crease and the backup job going to Timpano with a long shot possibility of Muzyka beating him out due to his connection to Burgess.

That's enough playing GM for one day.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Quote:
Raine will not make a good captain. He is a great kid and a tough hitter, but he got schooled twice by Gaunce in one of the last playoff games. Gaunce is an avg skater at best.

Raine would be a great Assistant Captain, like Dodero this year.

You need to set an example on the team and go with your 3 best/valuable players as C, A and A, with Raine as 4th A. If you want to show the fans, and the team that your are serious for the run this year and next, you have to instill serious measures. Not have 7 people with letters on their
jerseys, and then the changeroom is a mess.
I'm not a big Wolves fan so I couldn't suggest a replacement, but Raine would make a great captain. You don't pick Captaincy based on skill, you make it based on leadership and example setting like hard work. It just so happens those qualities usually go hand in hand with ability. Were it solely based on skill, I doubt you would find Callahan, Salvador, Horcoff and Jovanoski being named captains of their respective teams, they all have more skilled players on their teams, but it's their leadership that makes them captains.

Raine may not be the most skilled player on the ice, but I've heard he's a great guy in the locker room and I already know he's a hard worker, would make a great captain.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:25 AM
Section19

Quote:
WE NEED SKILLED PLAYERS. WE CANT BE LIKE MISSY, WHERE ALL THEY HAVE IS ROBOTS. WITHOUT SKILLED PLAYERS YOU WILL NOT WIN. YOU NEED TO BALANCE SKILL WITH COMPETE, AND HAVE YOUR ROLE PLAYERS.
So now you finally admit that "James Boyd hockey" sucks.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Section19

As I've said many times before, this team isn't built for next year. Let's face it, the Wolves have never been built for a specific year.

The 2010 draft class that Blaine Smith raved about how great a draft class it was and how most of the players were going to play in the OHL at some point really isn't that great. Campagna, meh. Pancel is a good secondary scoring line member. Corbett has earned his moniker, Mr. Glass. Silk has also joined Corbett in the Band of Band-Aid Brothers. His development has really stalled due to the lack of games played. Prong shouldn't make the team and Dupuis looks to be on the outside looking in just for the back up spot. Let's not forget Mintz, Poulin-Roy and O'Neil who had a couple of cups of coffee in the OHL but have since been moved/demoted to lower levels.

If I were to try to build a team, I'd build it around some of the 1995s, still not a strong draft class but there are some very good pieces to build upon. Build the team around Baptiste, Kubalik, Kahun and De Haan. As much as people speculate about Desrocher, I think he's a good piece to have on this team. Skilled with speed, I don't think we actually seen any of his offensive potential since he's usually playing with scrubs on the 4th line. Also, despite what some have said, Cull has had a use for Desrocher as he was often on the PK. I've always joked about how Desrocher would be one of the leagues best players by the end of his OHL career if he keeps playing with Burgess the whole time. I'm not a big fan of Huether and I don't understand why the team is so big on him. I'd like to see Nathan Cull return. It seems as though the kid understand his role as a grinder. Schmalz has potential but that if his body can catch up to his head. It looks like he's still getting used to his growth spurt. Only time will tell if he can put it together. Callaghan performed admirably in his call-ups as an AP. I'd also like to see Peters make the team as well. The kid was probably the best rookie forward (along with Spicer) at training camp last September. Burgess will undoubtedly be on the team...sadly.

I don't expect Spicer or Villardi to return. I think the club has done enough to alienate the kids. Villardi has better odds of reporting just on the fact that he signed and actually played a game or two.

On defense, Raine, De Haan, Corbett are locks if I ran things. I'd say the way Eccles played, he's pretty much a lock to make the team. A spot is his to lose. Coach Cull showed a lot of confidence in the rookie rearguard playing him regulary in the playoffs including on the penalty kill. IMO, it says a lot about what Cull and Bell think of McFadden and Prong by putting Eccles in the lineup over them. I was big on MacFadden at the beginning of the year but I think he might be better off in Jr A for another year although other defensive prospects might pass him by. Prong has always struggled at the OHL level. I was really disappointed in Cummins and his development. Even from rookie camp last summer, he didn't look like a first rounder. During the season, he rarely looked like it. Di Perna and Desousa were both taken after him and would have been much better choices if the Wolves were so hard pressed to draft a defenseman. Leblanc would be a nice addition if he's willing to report. He was another standout amongst the rookies at both rookie and training camps.

I think it's pretty obvious that Franky P and Timpano will be the tandem. There's no point in having a 19 year old back up, specially if the back up isn't going to play very much. Going with Timpano and having him develop at the OHL level will be important for the future. Will the Wolves actually be able to develop their own goalie for once? I hope so but I don't have much faith given their track record.

Kahun by far is my favorite player to watch on this team and has been since day one of training camp this year. You want to argue that Campagna is a skilled player and it's not his job to get physical? Well Kahun is the same type of player. He's a playmaker but he's not afraid to take a hit in order to make a play or give a hit (it doesn't have to be a hard check to be effective). He's way smaller than Campagna yet he plays with more heart, hustle and determination than him. I'll take 100 Kahun's before I take a single Campagna.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Section19

Add me to the Raine for captain campaign.

Raine leads by example and puts out his best effort every shift. He's been part of a winning organization and has experience in the playoffs. How can you not want him as captain?

I'd like to see Baptiste get an A as well.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Hockeyfriend

Quote:
As I've said many times before, this team isn't built for next year. Let's face it, the Wolves have never been built for a specific year.

The 2010 draft class that Blaine Smith raved about how great a draft class it was and how most of the players were going to play in the OHL at some point really isn't that great. Campagna, meh. Pancel is a good secondary scoring line member. Corbett has earned his moniker, Mr. Glass. Silk has also joined Corbett in the Band of Band-Aid Brothers. His development has really stalled due to the lack of games played. Prong shouldn't make the team and Dupuis looks to be on the outside looking in just for the back up spot. Let's not forget Mintz, Poulin-Roy and O'Neil who had a couple of cups of coffee in the OHL but have since been moved/demoted to lower levels.

If I were to try to build a team, I'd build it around some of the 1995s, still not a strong draft class but there are some very good pieces to build upon. Build the team around Baptiste, Kubalik, Kahun and De Haan. As much as people speculate about Desrocher, I think he's a good piece to have on this team. Skilled with speed, I don't think we actually seen any of his offensive potential since he's usually playing with scrubs on the 4th line. Also, despite what some have said, Cull has had a use for Desrocher as he was often on the PK. I've always joked about how Desrocher would be one of the leagues best players by the end of his OHL career if he keeps playing with Burgess the whole time. I'm not a big fan of Huether and I don't understand why the team is so big on him. I'd like to see Nathan Cull return. It seems as though the kid understand his role as a grinder. Schmalz has potential but that if his body can catch up to his head. It looks like he's still getting used to his growth spurt. Only time will tell if he can put it together. Callaghan performed admirably in his call-ups as an AP. I'd also like to see Peters make the team as well. The kid was probably the best rookie forward (along with Spicer) at training camp last September. Burgess will undoubtedly be on the team...sadly.

I don't expect Spicer or Villardi to return. I think the club has done enough to alienate the kids. Villardi has better odds of reporting just on the fact that he signed and actually played a game or two.

On defense, Raine, De Haan, Corbett are locks if I ran things. I'd say the way Eccles played, he's pretty much a lock to make the team. A spot is his to lose. Coach Cull showed a lot of confidence in the rookie rearguard playing him regulary in the playoffs including on the penalty kill. IMO, it says a lot about what Cull and Bell think of McFadden and Prong by putting Eccles in the lineup over them. I was big on MacFadden at the beginning of the year but I think he might be better off in Jr A for another year although other defensive prospects might pass him by. Prong has always struggled at the OHL level. I was really disappointed in Cummins and his development. Even from rookie camp last summer, he didn't look like a first rounder. During the season, he rarely looked like it. Di Perna and Desousa were both taken after him and would have been much better choices if the Wolves were so hard pressed to draft a defenseman. Leblanc would be a nice addition if he's willing to report. He was another standout amongst the rookies at both rookie and training camps.

I think it's pretty obvious that Franky P and Timpano will be the tandem. There's no point in having a 19 year old back up, specially if the back up isn't going to play very much. Going with Timpano and having him develop at the OHL level will be important for the future. Will the Wolves actually be able to develop their own goalie for once? I hope so but I don't have much faith given their track record.

Kahun by far is my favorite player to watch on this team and has been since day one of training camp this year. You want to argue that Campagna is a skilled player and it's not his job to get physical? Well Kahun is the same type of player. He's a playmaker but he's not afraid to take a hit in order to make a play or give a hit (it doesn't have to be a hard check to be effective). He's way smaller than Campagna yet he plays with more heart, hustle and determination than him. I'll take 100 Kahun's before I take a single Campagna.
As much as I agree with above and what I hear outside these boards, I would still keep Harris as a 3rd liner. For a third liner this year he still amassed 16 goals and 30 points in that role and a shortened season. He can play the PK as well and has shwon some scoring flare when on the PP earlier in season before being pushed put once players returned. I would think that Desroacher and Harris would make a good 3rd line for this team along with Cull.

I still believe, however, that Harris along with Campagna will be moved in the off-season. However, draft picks will have to go with them to get a true top end talent in return. 2012 and 2013 picks cannot be moved until they finish a full 2 years (unless they agree to the move) so only future picks.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Section19

I agree that we'll probably see some trades this summer but I don't really see getting any much in return in terms of value from anyone. Campagna might get something but it won't be a top end forward.

The Wolves really don't have all that many picks either. They have 7 2nd rounders in the next 6 years which is pretty average compared to the rest of the league (plus an additional 2 conditional 2nd round picks but those conditions most likely won't be met).

You can see all their picks on In The O Radio's site:
http://www.intheoradio.com/SBYpicks

Old
04-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Section19

Quote:
2012 and 2013 picks cannot be moved until they finish a full 2 years (unless they agree to the move) so only future picks.
Pretty sure 17 year olds can be traded, unless they have a NTC of course, in which case they'd need to waive it. Jacob Smith was traded to the Sault last summer after spending his first year as a 16 year old in Kingston.

Closed Thread