*OFFICIAL* Sudbury Wolves 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2013, 02:52 PM
Hockeyfriend

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section19 View Post
Pretty sure 17 year olds can be traded, unless they have a NTC of course, in which case they'd need to waive it. Jacob Smith was traded to the Sault last summer after spending his first year as a 16 year old in Kingston.
They can be traded, but the player needs to ok it first. That is part of the standard OHL contract they sign. Believe it has to do with them still being in high school and under
18. Jacob Smith probbaly accepted the move because he felt he would be in a better place to play.

Old
04-16-2013, 06:09 PM
thewizard

This is a message to Section19. You seem to like to pick on the 94 draft picks of the Wolves, and you continuously like to praise the 95's, are you a disgruntled 95 parent, who is unhappy with the team, seeing how you registered in Sept 2012 after the camp. Is it because you have a player who has not been recognized or mentioned within the upcoming draft. Let me see, here is the list of the 95 draftees, Kahun, Kabalik, Baptiste, which leads me to believe that after reading your last few posts, you are truly a disgruntled parent, it's too obvious, you need to move on. On ending, I wish all the 95's good luck in the upcoming draft I'd like to see them all get drafted.

Old
04-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
All
Of those have been mentioned in the draft, lol? Baptiste is even projected to go second round. Kubalik and Kahun have gone in the later rounds in most of the mock drafts I've seen.

There are plenty of players not being looked at to get drafted despite their skills, but they probably won't be one of them.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:10 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard View Post
This is a message to Section19. You seem to like to pick on the 94 draft picks of the Wolves, and you continuously like to praise the 95's, are you a disgruntled 95 parent, who is unhappy with the team, seeing how you registered in Sept 2012 after the camp. Is it because you have a player who has not been recognized or mentioned within the upcoming draft. Let me see, here is the list of the 95 draftees, Kahun, Kabalik, Baptiste, which leads me to believe that after reading your last few posts, you are truly a disgruntled parent, it's too obvious, you need to move on. On ending, I wish all the 95's good luck in the upcoming draft I'd like to see them all get drafted.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:11 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Nice comment Wizard.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:12 PM
chewerjones

sorry, I didnt mean to repeat again.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:15 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfriend View Post
As much as I agree with above and what I hear outside these boards, I would still keep Harris as a 3rd liner. For a third liner this year he still amassed 16 goals and 30 points in that role and a shortened season. He can play the PK as well and has shwon some scoring flare when on the PP earlier in season before being pushed put once players returned. I would think that Desroacher and Harris would make a good 3rd line for this team along with Cull.

I still believe, however, that Harris along with Campagna will be moved in the off-season. However, draft picks will have to go with them to get a true top end talent in return. 2012 and 2013 picks cannot be moved until they finish a full 2 years (unless they agree to the move) so only future picks.
BS has to secure more top end talent, not let it go.

Keeping guys like Huether, Harris, Silk, Desrochers, Cull, Thibodeau, are not possible. They will have to release or trade at least 3 of them, if they want to add another player into the lineup. They are similar type, 3rd-4th line guys.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:20 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscooter View Post
What I want to see and what we will see are two different things. Realistically I don't think the wolves 94s are strong enough to build a contender around unless a lot of players take large leaps forward this coming year.

I see no reason to bring back players like Huether, Cull, Thibodeau, Genoevse, Prong, McFadden or Dupuis. Nor do I see much trade value in any of them.

I'd like to see Campagna, Harris and Cummins moved.

Campagna we've been over, I don't feel the need to rehash that argument. Harris while great with Leivo left a lot to be desired over the rest of the year. He also tends to spend his time rotating between injured and coming back from an injury. Cummins really lacked development as the year went, and actually, in my eyes regressed. I see better younger defencemen who are likely already ahead of his development curve.

Up front that leaves returning Baptiste, Pancel, Kubalik, Kahun, Silk, Schmalz, Desrochers. If Schmalz puts on some weight over the summer and his skills develop he could easily continue to see himself slotted in beside Kubalik and Kahun. Obviously the depature of Campagna would leave a hole in the top 6 but you'd assume it would be filled as part of the return.

The top 6 is where I expect and hope the wolves will inject some serious youth into the lineup. I'd expect Colten Spicer, Dylan Callaghan, Tyler Peters and Dylan Wettlaufer to compete with new draftees David Zeppieri and Noah Robinson for 4-5 spots behind Silk and Desrochers. I'd expect Spicer to join Desrochers and Silk on the third line. While Callaghan, Peters and Wettlaufer shared the duty of babysitting Connor Burgess on the fourth line. Giving Zeppieri and Robinson time to refine their games in Jr. A and Major Midget respectively.

On the backend you likely have to carry 8 d-men and run under the assumption that Corbett will be hurt more often then not. While the defensive core of will be the weak spot of the team moving a combination of Harris, Vilardi and Cummins could likely bring in a solid top 4 defensive defencemen. Raine, De Haan, Corbett round out the top 4 while healthy. The remaining 3-4 slots could be filled with some serious youth. Based on his performance in the few playoffs games he played I feel like Eccles is a true lock for the team. Defensively he played a top notch game. Capobianco is another lock for the squad. Leblanc should he report would likely make the team, but at this point i'll run with the assumption that he won't report. Leaving Austin Clapham, Chase Hawley to compete with guys like Tyler Prong and Zach McFadden for the final spot.

I net it's obviously a no brainer with Frankie tending the crease and the backup job going to Timpano with a long shot possibility of Muzyka beating him out due to his connection to Burgess.

That's enough playing GM for one day.
You want to get rid of the OHL Sudbury Wolves, and bring in the North Bay Trappers minor midget team. Get Real. The players you want to keep or bring in struggle with Jr. B or Jr. C competition.

Colten Spicer, Dylan Callaghan, Tyler Peters, Prong and Dylan Wettlaufer to make the lineup next year?????????????????????????? Which one of these kids is your son?

Old
04-16-2013, 10:24 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelanstorm View Post
I'm not a big Wolves fan so I couldn't suggest a replacement, but Raine would make a great captain. You don't pick Captaincy based on skill, you make it based on leadership and example setting like hard work. It just so happens those qualities usually go hand in hand with ability. Were it solely based on skill, I doubt you would find Callahan, Salvador, Horcoff and Jovanoski being named captains of their respective teams, they all have more skilled players on their teams, but it's their leadership that makes them captains.

Raine may not be the most skilled player on the ice, but I've heard he's a great guy in the locker room and I already know he's a hard worker, would make a great captain.
I see your points. However, Sudbury has to make a statement and give letters to kids that they have committed to over the last 2-4 years. It will show alot towards the team and its commitment. If we keep naming kids that come in as trades or rentals, it looks bad on the team and its ability to draft quality players.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:05 AM
Section19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
I see your points. However, Sudbury has to make a statement and give letters to kids that they have committed to over the last 2-4 years. It will show alot towards the team and its commitment. If we keep naming kids that come in as trades or rentals, it looks bad on the team and its ability to draft quality players.
The OHL isn't a union shop where you get promotions because you've been there the longest. Kantor was deserved the C after Corrado was traded because he gave his all for the team. No one can ever question his commitment. If a player is brought in via trade for his leadership, there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to get the C if he's the best leader. Raine is clearly the best option as captain next year.

It won't get players to report if you promise them letters. Building a winning organization will. Promising players letters does not show the team's commitment to a player as captains and assistants get traded all the time. If a player is shallow enough to only commit if he's promised a letter, he's not a true leader. True leaders know they need to earn it.

Quote:
BS has to secure more top end talent, not let it go.

Keeping guys like Huether, Harris, Silk, Desrochers, Cull, Thibodeau, are not possible. They will have to release or trade at least 3 of them, if they want to add another player into the lineup. They are similar type, 3rd-4th line guys.
Problem is that trading any/all of these players won't net you top end talent and as I've said before, the Wolves really don't have an abundance many draft picks of value. They need to draft more high-end talent instead of taking safe picks all the time.

Thibodeau shouldn't be back at all as an OA. The Wolves really should have kept Braid who would've been a better option than Thibodeau as a multi-use player. He's would've been a better OA than Thibodeau although there'd probably be better OA options elsewhere. I heard from someone that Braid was outright released because of comments he made about the owner's son.

They need some of their prospects to step up. Like I've said before, I don't think Spicer or Vilardi will show. I don't know anything about Wettlaufer and I've just seen Callaghan the one game where he was better than Burgess. Peters tore up midget but can that be matched at the OHL level? Who knows. The Wolves lack of depth showed when injuries took it's toll on the team the past two years.

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 04-18-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old
04-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Section19

Quote:
Been a season ticket holder for far too long. At this point, the 95s should be leading this team but they aren't. Anyone who actually follows the team can see it's not a strong draft class that Blaine advertised. You have a better idea of the players they are instead of what they will be. The 95s are still developing somewhat and are growing. The 95 draft isn't all that great either though. The Wolves historically haven't had great success in drafts. If they come out with 4 players that develop in a single draft, it's a banner year for the team. For successful organizations like London or Kitchener, that's a average or even a bad year.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:28 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
The OHL isn't a union shop where you get promotions because you've been there the longest. Kantor was deserved the C after Corrado was traded because he gave his all for the team. No one can ever question his commitment. If a player is brought in via trade for his leadership, there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to get the C if he's the best leader. Raine is clearly the best option as captain next year.

It won't get players to report if you promise them letters. Building a winning organization will. Promising players letters does not show the team's commitment to a player as captains and assistants get traded all the time. If a player is shallow enough to only commit if he's promised a letter, he's not a true leader. True leaders know they need to earn it.

So original that you need to steal other peoples posts.

Problem is that trading any/all of these players won't net you top end talent and as I've said before, the Wolves really don't have an abundance many draft picks of value. They need to draft more high-end talent instead of taking safe picks all the time.

Thibodeau shouldn't be back at all as an OA. The Wolves really should have kept Braid who would've been a better option than Thibodeau as a multi-use player. He's would've been a better OA than Thibodeau although there'd probably be better OA options elsewhere. I heard from someone that Braid was outright released because of comments he made about the owner's son.

They need some of their prospects to step up. Like I've said before, I don't think Spicer or Vilardi will show. I don't know anything about Wettlaufer and I've just seen Callaghan the one game where he was better than Burgess. Peters tore up midget but can that be matched at the OHL level? Who knows. The Wolves lack of depth showed when injuries took it's toll on the team the past two years.
See, all it took was a bit of time, and you started to see the "Chewerlight".

Old
04-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Section19

Quote:
See, all it took was a bit of time, and you started to see the "Chewerlight".
I haven't agreed on any topic with you and I've said the same thing since the start. I haven't wavered on any topic.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:36 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
Been a season ticket holder for far too long. At this point, the 95s should be leading this team but they aren't. Anyone who actually follows the team can see it's not a strong draft class that Blaine advertised. You have a better idea of the players they are instead of what they will be. The 95s are still developing somewhat and are growing. The 95 draft isn't all that great either though. The Wolves historically haven't had great success in drafts. If they come out with 4 players that develop in a single draft, it's a banner year for the team. For successful organizations like London or Kitchener, that's a average or even a bad year.
I dont think their 95s are bad at all. They have Baptiste, Harris, Kubalik, Kahun, DeHaan, and McFadden. 5 of the 6 played serious, full time roles with the Wolves this year. Besides your London, and OS, and top rated teams, you may be hard pressed to find another team that has as many 95s in their lineup, that are providing key roles. Their 95 class currently contributing can be compared to their 94 class or better , on the whole.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:38 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
I haven't agreed on any topic with you and I've said the same thing since the start. I haven't wavered on any topic.
Right now you have 2 feet on the fence. Soon you will be on our side. A little bit more time and you will see the full effect of "Chewerlight".

Now we have to work on getting Djscooter out of his cave.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Section19

Quote:
Right now you have 2 feet on the fence. Soon you will be on our side. A little bit more time and you will see the full effect of "Chewerlight".

Now we have to work on getting Djscooter out of his cave.
You still fail to prove where we actually agree. We haven't agreed on anything.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:59 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
You still fail to prove where we actually agree. We haven't agreed on anything.
By you not cursing at me, or tearing apart MC, or having you and your friends not having a laugh a long, is enough to support that you agree with me. Read between your lines, and alot of your points are similar to mine. I wont take credit for it, but will say that we are both on the same page for once. All we need now, is for you to give MC even a bit of respect and confirm that he was a productive contributor for the Wolves this past year. That's all 1 Wolves fan asks from another.

Last edited by chewerjones: 04-17-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old
04-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Section19

Quote:
By you not cursing at me, or tearing apart MC, or having you and your friends not having a laugh a long, is enough to support that you agree with me. Read between your lines, and alot of your points are similar to mine. I wont take credit for it, but will say that we are both on the same page for once. All we need now, is for you to give MC even a bit of respect and confirm that he was a productive contributor for the Wolves this past year. That's all 1 Wolves fan asks from another.
I never liked Campagna and never will. The Wolves would be better off to trade the prima dona now. He soft, has no heart and no determination. He's not a leader and shouldn't even be considered for a letter.

Old
04-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Johnsb

Who would you be trading him for? He's a good player, so should get something for him. What players are you willing to take in a trade?

Niagara, Bellville, Ottawa, Windsor all have a lot of 94-95's that in the 94's they case won't be able to keep all of them the following year.

Last edited by Johnsb: 04-17-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old
04-17-2013, 01:15 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
I never liked Campagna and never will. The Wolves would be better off to trade the prima dona now. He soft, has no heart and no determination. He's not a leader and shouldn't even be considered for a letter.
You are entitled to your own opinion, but just becaue you dont like the kid, doesnt mean that he isnt a productive player.

How many of your Wolves , besides Dodero, and Thibodeau, actually fought in the playoffs? Not many, if any. Silk would have fought, but he was injured. Desrochers gave it an effort, but knew he was an under dog. What about all your heart and soul guys that you keep talking about. Did they get blown out of the Arena when someone opened the front doors? Or did their true Tin Man identities come out.

For 3 years MC has never played on the top line. Even last year, he never played with Sgarbossa. Leivo and Kurchin got to play exclusively with him. This year, you would think that they would play MC with Leivo, but NO. They play Silk and Harris with Leivo and they are productive. Once Leivo is gone, they return to their unproductive ways.

MC has played with no stars in 3 years, due to Cull's fault, and he has carried Pancel and Baptiste, 2 avg players.

All I am saying is that the kid has had to do it all by himself , with no favours. Yes he gets PP time, but he has shared it with kahun and Kantor this year. Last year, Sgarbossa got it all. During his 18 game point streak, he was able to set up Leivo on many occasions to continue Leivos' streak, but it was never returned.

Instead of Wolves fans trying to support their players and motivate them, we just knock them down. I continue to say, that without MC, Wolves are in a world of hurt, especially from an offensive perspective.

Old
04-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Section19

Quote:
You are entitled to your own opinion, but just becaue you dont like the kid, doesnt mean that he isnt a productive player.

How many of your Wolves , besides Dodero, and Thibodeau, actually fought in the playoffs? Not many, if any. Silk would have fought, but he was injured. Desrochers gave it an effort, but knew he was an under dog. What about all your heart and soul guys that you keep talking about. Did they get blown out of the Arena when someone opened the front doors? Or did their true Tin Man identities come out.

For 3 years MC has never played on the top line. Even last year, he never played with Sgarbossa. Leivo and Kurchin got to play exclusively with him. This year, you would think that they would play MC with Leivo, but NO. They play Silk and Harris with Leivo and they are productive. Once Leivo is gone, they return to their unproductive ways.

MC has played with no stars in 3 years, due to Cull's fault, and he has carried Pancel and Baptiste, 2 avg players.

All I am saying is that the kid has had to do it all by himself , with no favours. Yes he gets PP time, but he has shared it with kahun and Kantor this year. Last year, Sgarbossa got it all. During his 18 game point streak, he was able to set up Leivo on many occasions to continue Leivos' streak, but it was never returned.

Instead of Wolves fans trying to support their players and motivate them, we just knock them down. I continue to say, that without MC, Wolves are in a world of hurt, especially from an offensive perspective.
Do we really need to go through this again? I don't want Campagna to fight. Campagna has no heart, no drive, no determination. He's need to compete for the puck and not shy away from an opponent who's approaching him. Kahun is 4 inches short (if not more) and he's willing to go fight for the puck when an opponent. Kahun goes into the corner for the puck against opponents and will take a hit to either get it out via a pass or stickhandle it out. Campagna doesn't do that. He'd more content floating around.

Old
04-17-2013, 05:01 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Do we really need to go through this again? I don't want Campagna to fight. Campagna has no heart, no drive, no determination. He's need to compete for the puck and not shy away from an opponent who's approaching him. Kahun is 4 inches short (if not more) and he's willing to go fight for the puck when an opponent. Kahun goes into the corner for the puck against opponents and will take a hit to either get it out via a pass or stickhandle it out. Campagna doesn't do that. He'd more content floating around.
I would agree that Kubalik competes and fights and goes into corners to get he puck, but Kahun, come on. He is a nice ,flashy , skilled player, but I didn see him as a grinder in the corners.

OK, I WILL NOT MENTION MC AGAIN. WE WILL AGREE TO DISAGREE, AND CONTINUE TO SUPPORT AND DISCUSS WOLVES FROM NOW ON.

Old
04-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Section19

Quote:
I would agree that Kubalik competes and fights and goes into corners to get he puck, but Kahun, come on. He is a nice ,flashy , skilled player, but I didn see him as a grinder in the corners.
Kahun isn't a grinder but he's willing to go in the corners. He's not afraid to get hit.

Old
04-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Arsenault

Just posted on the Peterborough site that Sudbury is cleaning house with their coaching staff including Assistant Coaches. Any truth?

Old
04-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Section19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
Just posted on the Peterborough site that Sudbury is cleaning house with their coaching staff including Assistant Coaches. Any truth?
If it's true, it's a sad day. Trent Cull's been the best coach the Wolves have had in a long time. The fact that the team's done well under him with a young and inexperienced team during his tenure is nothing short of amazing.

Closed Thread