HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Offseason Discussion Part III (Contract/FA chart in post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2012, 01:49 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
People on here won't like it, but I remember a pretty solid Blues poster saying 1st+Harrington was the best offer he read on here for Stewart.

That's alot to give up. Especially when Harrington is the best defensive D-man prospect we have. Shero's too conservative to pull the trigger on that IMO. I'm confident that Stewart will find his game here, but as a GM, you can't really deal in hypotheticals. Stewart's value isn't anywhere near that return right now.
Shero will be too conservative to pull the trigger on Staal for Kulemin, Bozak, Ashton, and the 5th overall . . .

Old
05-11-2012, 02:01 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Shero will be too conservative to pull the trigger on Staal for Kulemin, Bozak, Ashton, and the 5th overall . . .
Or too smart. Why is Bozak even in there? I wouldn't take him if he was on waivers. Guy is horrible in his own end.

Old
05-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Or too smart. Why is Bozak even in there? I wouldn't take him if he was on waivers. Guy is horrible in his own end.
Bozak isn't horrible in his own end... wtf?

He is a hard working player with a lot of skill. I used to blow him off until I really watched him play this season and he is a good player at both ends of the ice.

His teammates on the back end constantly blowing assignments doesn't help his cause though.

Old
05-11-2012, 02:11 PM
JTG

Shero still can't shake the conservative label he got?

Old
05-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
People on here won't like it, but I remember a pretty solid Blues poster saying 1st+Harrington was the best offer he read on here for Stewart.

That's alot to give up. Especially when Harrington is the best defensive D-man prospect we have. Shero's too conservative to pull the trigger on that IMO. I'm confident that Stewart will find his game here, but as a GM, you can't really deal in hypotheticals. Stewart's value isn't anywhere near that return right now.
Saying it was the best offer he read on here and that it was a fair offer are two entirely different statements.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:07 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Bozak isn't horrible in his own end... wtf?

He is a hard working player with a lot of skill. I used to blow him off until I really watched him play this season and he is a good player at both ends of the ice.

His teammates on the back end constantly blowing assignments doesn't help his cause though.
I'm talking about the Bozak on the Leafs. I don't know who you are talking about.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I'm talking about the Bozak on the Leafs. I don't know who you are talking about.
Hint, he wears #42.

You are obviously watching the wrong guy if you think he is bad defensively.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:23 PM
JTG

I haven't seen a ton of Bozak, but I never thought he was bad defensively. If you trust his +/-...yeah, I can understand that.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Flat Stanley

Jordan Staal for Nikolai Kulemin, Tyler Bozak, 5th overall, 35th overall, prospect.

Paul Martin and Tyler Kennedy for Chris Stewart.

Kunitz-Crosby-Stewart
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Bozak-Dupuis
Tangradi-Vitale-Adams

Orpik-Letang
Despres-Michalek
Niskanen-Engelland
Strait

Fleury
Montoya

In the 2012 NHL Draft have...

2 1sts
2 2nds
1 3rd
2 4ths
1 5th
1 6th
1 7th

I don't know. Lol

Old
05-11-2012, 03:37 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Shero still can't shake the conservative label he got?
Can you see him dealing Harrington? Our only proper defensive D-man in the pipeline? He'd have to be pretty high up on Stewart. I hope he is.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:07 PM
JTG

I can absolutely see him dealing Harrington.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:12 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

Despres and Morrow would be the only prospects I'd consider untouchable.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Crosberry87

I would move Bennett before Harrington.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:31 PM
JTG

People hated the Harrington pick, and now people want him to be untouchable. And so it goes...

Old
05-11-2012, 04:56 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Fair enough. I wouldn't think twice, but judging from people's views on his progress, I figured there'd be a bit more hesitancy.

We don't exactly have a replacement for him in the pipeline.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:01 PM
JTG

He plays a similar game to Strait or Bortuzzo. Both are good defensively and serviceable offensively.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

None of our prospects are untouchable, nor should they be. If the right deal comes along, they should be moved.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:11 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
None of our prospects are untouchable, nor should they be. If the right deal comes along, they should be moved.
Well, that should be the case, but sometimes I wonder when it comes to Shero if Tyler Kennedy or a 2nd round pick is untouchable. If they weren't, then wouldn't he have moved Strait or Bortuzzo and a 2nd for a deadline rental like, say, Grossman?

Old
05-11-2012, 08:15 PM
JTG

Maybe he tried to move for Grossman? Just because he offers doesn't mean a team has to take it.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:18 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Maybe he tried to move for Grossman? Just because he offers doesn't mean a team has to take it.
Maybe he did. Then again, did you get the impression-- from anyone or anywhere-- that defense was seen as a need.

My gut says he was trying to get a scoring line forward. I don't think he was shopping for a defenseman. At the time (of the deadline), it didn't look like there was an issue according to a lot, maybe even a majority, of people here.

Old
05-11-2012, 10:10 PM
AgentM

Quote:

Quote:
What about this then:

To St Louis: Staal, Harrington, 2nd Round Pick 2012

To Pittsburgh: Oshie and Stewart

I think Staal is worth more than Oshie straight up so you knock that draft pick down a peg from mpp9's proposal. I doubt that the Blues would move two wingers of their caliber in the same trade (even if they are down on Stewart) but just imagine what our top two lines would look like:

Oshie - Malkin - Neal
Kunitz - Crosby - Stewart

Those are sexy sexy lines!

Old
05-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Maybe he did. Then again, did you get the impression-- from anyone or anywhere-- that defense was seen as a need.

My gut says he was trying to get a scoring line forward. I don't think he was shopping for a defenseman. At the time (of the deadline), it didn't look like there was an issue according to a lot, maybe even a majority, of people here.
Yes there was a legitimate concern, one that they thought they could overcome by scoring more with the infusion of the best player in the world. It didn't work out that way.

That's what happens when you ignore the obvious and the fact the playoffs are bread for sound defense. Pens defense was all smoke and mirrors.

Just listen to Shero when he gave his interviews. He alway reverts back to when he signed both Martin and Michalek, but he never talked enough about the season/playoffs at hand, and only went into defence mode of his choices to sign them. He let a pretty good opportunity slip by at the deadline because he didn't want to pay the price to strengthen the defense.

See, the offense was already there with a healthy Crosby ripe for a return. Why would they go after offense being one of the top teams scoring then even without Sid?

I agree prices were high, but this team has plenty to offer without giving up the 1st rounder.

Offense won by majority, Shero, Blysma, offensive players. Will that happen again?

Lets just say lesson learned. I hope.

Old
05-12-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Yes there was a legitimate concern, one that they thought they could overcome by scoring more with the infusion of the best player in the world. It didn't work out that way.

That's what happens when you ignore the obvious and the fact the playoffs are bread for sound defense. Pens defense was all smoke and mirrors.

Just listen to Shero when he gave his interviews. He alway reverts back to when he signed both Martin and Michalek, but he never talked enough about the season/playoffs at hand, and only went into defence mode of his choices to sign them. He let a pretty good opportunity slip by at the deadline because he didn't want to pay the price to strengthen the defense.

See, the offense was already there with a healthy Crosby ripe for a return. Why would they go after offense being one of the top teams scoring then even without Sid?

I agree prices were high, but this team has plenty to offer without giving up the 1st rounder.

Offense won by majority, Shero, Blysma, offensive players. Will that happen again?

Lets just say lesson learned. I hope.
I haven't been keeping up but if Shero thinks the man power on defense is the problem then I've really got to question him.

This defense has a lot more issues than Paul Martin being a softie.There wasn't one defenseman that looked good in the final weeks of the season and in the playoffs. Suter and Weber can both step onto a sloppy team... both will end up looking just as bad.

Old
05-12-2012, 01:09 AM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
I gotta agree with Jiggy on this one. I've never heard anyone say Bozak is bad defensively, nor have I ever seen him play like a defensive reliability in the 30+ games I see the Leafs play per season.

The knock on Bozak tends to be more about how his offensive upside is limited, and that's why he's not suited as a #1 center for the Leafs, and thus their need for an upgrade. But his defensive play has never been a knock against him. If he were to simply be left as 3C for them, he'd do quite well.

Old
05-12-2012, 01:24 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I gotta agree with Jiggy on this one. I've never heard anyone say Bozak is bad defensively, nor have I ever seen him play like a defensive reliability in the 30+ games I see the Leafs play per season.

The knock on Bozak tends to be more about how his offensive upside is limited, and that's why he's not suited as a #1 center for the Leafs, and thus their need for an upgrade. But his defensive play has never been a knock against him. If he were to simply be left as 3C for them, he'd do quite well.
Okay maybe I was wrong. The games I saw him play against the Pens I wasn't impressed with his work in his own end. Over 82 games it's hard to remember everything especially for a team I don't go out of my way to watch.

Closed Thread