HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bergevin named new General Manager V2.0

Old
05-03-2012, 07:37 PM
hockeyfan2k11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Not funnier than Michel Villeneuve saying that he tested him during the interview to see if he was really ready.

The media think they run the ****ing organization.
So true. Which is why I was hoping we'd get an Anglo just to troll the hell out of them.

The media in Montreal really annoys me.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 07:44 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
I... I never implied anything? But cheers!

I'm very familiar with working class French. Many of my friends are working class, and my gf's dad is a trucker... all fully French, no English. I'm completely bilingual, speak French most of the time and have zero accent. I'm not some snotty half American guy coming in here to be an ass or anything, I was just really curious. First time I see something similar where the English is heavily accented AND the French is broken.

Nothing to do with his ability or inability to coach. He seems like a great fit to me, tbh.
It happens. Sometimes when I switch back and forth, I end up with a few badly pronounced words

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
So true. Which is why I was hoping we'd get an Anglo just to troll the hell out of them.

The media in Montreal really annoys me.
M.Villeneuve will stay an arrogant ***** no mather what. Besides we got an anglo coach this year and that did'nt change him. I'll never understand how you can keep a job as a sport animator when you clearly hate the athletes and the business around the sport.

P.Trudel was like that, he still complains all day long on twitter and seems to wonder why he does'nt have a job.

There is greats sports guys in Montreal tho, it's just wrong to generalize.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:26 PM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
I... I never implied anything? But cheers!

I'm very familiar with working class French. Many of my friends are working class, and my gf's dad is a trucker... all fully French, no English. I'm completely bilingual, speak French most of the time and have zero accent. I'm not some snotty half American guy coming in here to be an ass or anything, I was just really curious. First time I see something similar where the English is heavily accented AND the French is broken.

Nothing to do with his ability or inability to coach. He seems like a great fit to me, tbh.
Simple.

When you learn a language after adulthood, you tend to keep an accent. That accent will remain with you in most part for your life.

So, he leaves QC at 19, has to speak english only for a long time, which he speaks with an accent. However, he probably didn't get a chance to speak french that often in Chicago, so he lost a bit of it over time.

So his english is heavily accented and his french needs a bit of a cleanup from disuse (plus sleepyness). His french should come back quickly, but his english will remain the same. He's very understandable in both languages though, which is a lot better than Gauthier, who couldn't be understood in any language, because he didn't fudging speak.

Bergevin's english is also quite better than Gainey's french.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:30 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
M.Villeneuve will stay an arrogant ***** no mather what. Besides we got an anglo coach this year and that did'nt change him. I'll never understand how you can keep a job as a sport animator when you clearly hate the athletes and the business around the sport.

P.Trudel was like that, he still complains all day long on twitter and seems to wonder why he does'nt have a job.

There is greats sports guys in Montreal tho, it's just wrong to generalize.
I hate the ones Habs media...there are some exceptions of course. But watching RDS makes me sick to my stomach.

Old
05-03-2012, 09:32 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post

Eh...it should be. French is an extremely difficult language to learn.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:24 PM
1UP

Quote:
Butbutbut... I learnt it when I was a kid! Can't be that hard, can it?!?

(for safety)

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:44 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
All languages are difficult to learn: but so far as I'm concerned, French isn't even "up there," so to speak.

If French is extremely difficult, then Lithuanian is literally impossible.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:58 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
All languages are difficult to learn: but so far as I'm concerned, French isn't even "up there," so to speak.

If French is extremely difficult, then Lithuanian is literally impossible.
English is not difficult. Neither is spannish. French is quite difficult...with the tenses, exceptions, metric system, etc... But it's a matter of opinion.

Old
05-03-2012, 11:24 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
English is not difficult. Neither is spannish. French is quite difficult...with the tenses, exceptions, metric system, etc... But it's a matter of opinion.
French has some specific challenges, but on the whole, it's not singularly difficult.

What's most challenging isn't grammar, or verb conjugation or exceptions: it's how to speak it, or even write it, without someone picking up that you're not French. How you go about conveying meaning is very metaphorical, in many cases.

Old
05-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Kingbobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Simple.

When you learn a language after adulthood, you tend to keep an accent. That accent will remain with you in most part for your life.

So, he leaves QC at 19, has to speak english only for a long time, which he speaks with an accent. However, he probably didn't get a chance to speak french that often in Chicago, so he lost a bit of it over time.

So his english is heavily accented and his french needs a bit of a cleanup from disuse (plus sleepyness). His french should come back quickly, but his english will remain the same. He's very understandable in both languages though, which is a lot better than Gauthier, who couldn't be understood in any language, because he didn't fudging speak.

its abit weird though cause he left at a young age so you'd think the accent would disappear. Mario, Bourque, and a lot of euros that come over quickly lose their accents or never had one. He must of really not have spoken a lick of english before he left though.

Its fine though i mean to me it's just a man thats fluent in both languages and speaks them with his own accent.

If you listen to Carbo, he speaks french similarly by mincing his words sometimes, but obviously carbo spend more time here so it's not as evident.

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 12:02 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
French has some specific challenges, but on the whole, it's not singularly difficult.

What's most challenging isn't grammar, or verb conjugation or exceptions: it's how to speak it, or even write it, without someone picking up that you're not French. How you go about conveying meaning is very metaphorical, in many cases.
Again, it's a matter of opinion. There's no right/wrong answer here.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:51 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
It's easier to attain a basic grasp of English than French.

Poor grammar in English is so common due to so many foreigners just learning it that it's become acceptable and everyone understands.

I doubt hearing poor French sentence structure is as common.

With that out of the way, I'm sure Bergevin will do a fine job. Can't wait for the first trade/action/whatever you want to call it.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 06:17 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
The metric system? You mean, the international standards of measure? Sorry to break it to you buddy, but most country except the Americans already uses it officially. It's not something language-specific.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 06:48 AM
Zam Boni

Quote:
Metric system difficult? What?
What am I missing?

100 cents to a dollar, right?
Well, how is 100 centimeter to a meter more difficult?

Zam Boni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 07:51 AM
BLONG7

I like that Bergevin seems to be ready to communicate better with the team, and the media/fans...that being said, I don't think he needs to be on radio and TV the way a Brian Burke does....

Communicating with the players, and the coaching staff is a no brainer, but somehow doing a better job with the media and therefore the fans feel more part of things will be welcomed by all.....

The guy seems to be his own man, and will do a great job!!!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:16 AM
yianik

I like the fact MB has no history with the Habs, was with the Hawks for the Kane cab incident, and has a sense of humour. Reason is that we have carried the Jean Beliveau standard of player conduct to our detriment. Dont get me wrong, Jean Beliveau is the epitomy of class and it would be terrific if all our players showed 75% of the class this man has. Unfortunately we live in a different time and we have thrown away too many bad boys over the years. I have read Chelios was moved because he was a partying bad boy and so did not live up to the CH. Carbonneau was traded for giving the media the bird at a golf tournament. Of course the worst trade in Habs history was Roy being traded due to his 10 second meltdown even they he apologized. Roy, in the eyes of Corey and Houle disgraced the team and as no one player is bigger than the team, he was gone. More recently we had many players struggle under JMs system, then react with frustration and then they were eventually gone.
The Habs just cant afford not to have patience with its players and we also need to have a level of tolerance because guys just arent like they were in Beliveaus day. Kane would have been gone if he were a Hab and Im guessing the return would have been so-so.
Im also reading that MB might have a better grasp of pro-scouting, which has been a weak spot ( more like a disaster ) on the team with Houle ( Andre Savard wasnt here long enough to judge, unfortunately), to BG . I acually thought PG was okay so far here.
With our top notch pro-scouting, improvement to even average in pro-scouting and player development should result in a sustained better team.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
I like the fact MB has no history with the Habs, was with the Hawks for the Kane cab incident, and has a sense of humour. Reason is that we have carried the Jean Beliveau standard of player conduct to our detriment. Dont get me wrong, Jean Beliveau is the epitomy of class and it would be terrific if all our players showed 75% of the class this man has. Unfortunately we live in a different time and we have thrown away too many bad boys over the years. I have read Chelios was moved because he was a partying bad boy and so did not live up to the CH. Carbonneau was traded for giving the media the bird at a golf tournament. Of course the worst trade in Habs history was Roy being traded due to his 10 second meltdown even they he apologized. Roy, in the eyes of Corey and Houle disgraced the team and as no one player is bigger than the team, he was gone. More recently we had many players struggle under JMs system, then react with frustration and then they were eventually gone.
The Habs just cant afford not to have patience with its players and we also need to have a level of tolerance because guys just arent like they were in Beliveaus day. Kane would have been gone if he were a Hab and Im guessing the return would have been so-so.
Im also reading that MB might have a better grasp of pro-scouting, which has been a weak spot ( more like a disaster ) on the team with Houle ( Andre Savard wasnt here long enough to judge, unfortunately), to BG . I acually thought PG was okay so far here.
With our top notch pro-scouting, improvement to even average in pro-scouting and player development should result in a sustained better team.
If you always keep the "bad boys" though the pendelum can swing the other way too and you have a team of radulov's who have the skill to do great things but don't because they don't care and the off ice stuff becomes a huge distraction in the room and in the media.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:22 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
Metric system difficult? What?
What am I missing?

100 cents to a dollar, right?
Well, how is 100 centimeter to a meter more difficult?
Precisely. Plus, it's not even language-specific. You can use the imperial system when speaking French, or the metric while speaking english.

Some people are just out to find excuses as to why not to learn French.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:44 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If you always keep the "bad boys" though the pendelum can swing the other way too and you have a team of radulov's who have the skill to do great things but don't because they don't care and the off ice stuff becomes a huge distraction in the room and in the media.
I agree with this. Im talking about having what appears to be a 0 tolerance policy. If you look at what the player did, why he did it, whether you can work with the player ,what his value is to the team, and what you can get for him, this is what I ask for. Roy had a brief meltdown, you dont trade a franchise player for that. Given how Ribs acted in his last game to the Bell Centre makes me think he would have kept up his antics if he had stayed with the Habs and been a problem, but our return for him was awful given to horrible pro-scouting. Absolute policies are usually ( not always) absolutely bad and I think it appears we have such a policy and its been bad. Again, not saying that some bad boys dont need to go.

Last edited by yianik: 05-04-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: left out word
yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:50 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
I argue that with other Americans here all the time. What's so difficult with multiples of 10??

As opposed to:

1 mile = 5280 feet
1 gallon = 128 ounces
tenths of a mile on a highway??

...and all sorts of other oddball stuff I have to remember here in the US.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:05 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Again, it's a matter of opinion. There's no right/wrong answer here.
Opinions can be wrong, too.

I would rank French somewhere in the middle of difficulties for an English speaker. Not as easy as Swedish, but not as impossible as Lithuanian, or Finnish.

There's just nothing especially unique about French that makes it difficult beyond the clever way that most French people speak. This is because of the inflection of the language. The only unique inflection compared to english is gender. Case is generally not inflected for, as case is mostly dealt with using prepositions and word order. Even though the word order is very different from English, the idea that you use word order and prepositions to control your sentence structure is a familiar one.

Languages which are "heavily inflected," inflect based on case as well as number, gender, and tense, which makes the ideas of how you go about saying anything of value very foreign to an English speaker. It's no longer word order: in fact, in many case based languages, word order is of rather secondary importance in many situations.

Old
05-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
I agree with this. Im talking about having what appears to be a 0 tolerance policy. If you look at what the player did, why he did it, whether you can work with the player ,what his value is to the team, and what you can get for him, this is what I ask for. Roy had a brief meltdown, you dont trade a franchise player for that. Given how Ribs acted in his last game to the Bell Centre makes me think he would have kept up his antics if he had stayed with the Habs and been a problem, but our return for him was awful given to horrible pro-scouting. Absolute policies are usually ( not always) absolutely bad and I think it appears we have such a policy and its been bad. Again, not saying that some bad boys dont need to go.
Roy thing was a huge mistake...started with hiring Tremblay as coach, then making a panic trade for NHLers instaed of loading up on picks and prospects.

Ribeiro in hindsight obviously Ninimmaa didn't work out but they had to move him, lots of off ice, attitude and diving issues, he was not very well liked by the vets and had a "posse". I think he'd be playing in Europe right now had he not been traded to a non hockey market and got his act mostly in order.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Iwishihadacup

let the honeymoon begin

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010