HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCSF | Game 3 | Blues @ Kings | 9:00 PM CT | TSN, NBCSN, RDS

Old
05-03-2012, 07:06 AM
h22prelude93

vCash: 500
WCSF | Game 3 | Blues @ Kings | 9:00 PM CT | TSN, NBCSN, RDS

AT

Starting Line-Ups
(Projected)
McDonald-Backes-D'Agostini
Steen-Berglund-Oshie
Perron-Sobotka-Stewart
Langenbrunner-Nichol-Crombeen

Jackman-Pietrangelo
Colaiacovo-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak

Elliott

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Penner-Richards-Carter
King-Stoll-Lewis
Richardson-Frasier-Nolan

Scuderi-Doughty
Mitchell-Voynov
Martinez-Greene

Quick

Blues vs Kings Preview

TV: NBCSN, TSN, RDS

Big Story: The Kings figure to receive a hero's welcome when they take the ice at Staples Center on Thursday night -- and it's largely because of the work they've done away from home during the postseason. This will be the eighth playoff game for Los Angeles, but only the third in their arena. By sweeping the first two games of this Western Conference Semifinal series in St. Louis, the Kings are now 5-0 on the road. After disposing of the top-seeded Canucks in short order in the first round, they now have an opportunity to do the same to the second-seeded Blues.

Team Scope:

Blues: Likewise, this will be just the third road game for St. Louis in the playoffs -- and the Blues won the first two in San Jose to take a commanding 3-1 series lead en route to finishing off the Sharks in five in a West quarterfinal. If Game 3 seemed pivotal in the first round, it's all but a must-win here with a loss putting the Blues in a 3-0 hole the likes of which only three teams in NHL history have come back from.

It's safe to say St. Louis didn't get the start it wanted Monday, but after falling behind 4-0 in the first period the Blues had a much better showing over the final 40 minutes in a 5-2 defeat. David Backes set up goals by Andy McDonald and lineup addition Matt D'Agostini, and the team generated a number of power-play opportunities in the third but couldn't beat Jonathan Quick to cut into the deficit any further.

"We've got some looking in the mirror to do, some regrouping and we need to make some changes," Backes said. "We're better. X's and O's or film, we've done that to death. It's about intestinal fortitude and coming together as a group and going to the hard areas and showing some (guts). They showed it for the first two games for the full 60 minutes and we didn't, and that's why we have an 0-2 hole to dig ourselves out."

Kings: There were points in the regular season when for Quick it probably felt like Los Angeles couldn't score him four goals in a week's worth of games, much less a period, but with the NHL's 29th-ranked offense now rated fourth in the playoffs at 2.86 goals per game, he's certainly not complaining.

Quick stopped 27 of 29 shots in Game 2 and had a nice cushion to work with most of the way thanks to Mike Richards scoring 31 seconds after the opening faceoff and Anze Kopitar adding a pair of first-period goals sandwiched around one by Jeff Carter. After McDonald got the Blues on the board 18 seconds into the middle period, Justin Williams restored the four-goal lead 1:08 later. Although the Kings were never really threatened from there, the perception was they could still improve significantly over how they played in the second and third.

"It took a lot of guys out of the with all the penalty kills," Carter said. "But in the playoffs, when you win a game, that's all that matters. We know there's areas that we need to improve on, but we'll do that in the next day and we'll be ready."

Who's Hot: After being held off the score sheet for the first time in the postseason in Game 1, McDonald scored his fifth goal and added his fifth assist Monday. His 10 points are tied for second in the playoffs. … Kings captain Dustin Brown has four assists in the series and nine points in the playoffs. Dustin Penner has consecutive multi-point games, totaling a goal and three assists.

Injury Report: St. Louis hopes defenseman Alex Pietrangelo might make his return after missing Game 2 with a lower-body injury. He's day-to-day. Goaltender Jaroslav Halak won't play in this series due to his own lower-body injury. … Los Angeles forward Kyle Clifford remains out with a concussion suffered in the first game of the series with Vancouver.

Stat Pack: After scoring six power-play goals in five games against the Sharks, the Blues are 0-for-12 so far in this series and 0-for-26 against the Kings including the four regular-season games. … Kopitar's first goal Monday came shorthanded and was the Kings' fourth of the playoffs while down a man. Brown has a pair and defenseman Matt Greene scored shorthanded in the series opener. The team only has three power-play goals.

Puck Drop: St. Louis has lost the first two games of a best-of-seven series 15 times. The only time the Blues rallied to win was 40 years ago against the Minnesota North Stars.

"We just have to look back on what we did as a team when we were playing well," forward Jamie Langenbrunner said in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "We realize that first period was as bad of a period as we've played in a long time. It's frustrating to do in that situation, but it is only one game. It's a situation where we've lost two games, but they've got a long ways to go. They've got to still beat us two more times and I don't think we're going to be a team that's going to roll over and give it to them easy. We've got the ability to play good hockey, and we feel if we do that, we can control our own destiny a little bit."

Last edited by h22prelude93: 05-03-2012 at 07:32 AM.
h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 07:19 AM
Spektre

The Blues better show up tonight or it's pretty much series and season over. I'm looking for a big game out of Backes. He has to lead the way and show some fortitude.

I'm pulling for the Blues to win of course but if I were betting money I'd say Kings win 3-2.

Another late night watching this one unless the first period is 4-0 like last game.

Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 07:29 AM
Rizzo90

what???! Sobotka is out???!!

Rizzo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 07:34 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo90 View Post
what???! Sobotka is out???!!
Correction: Arnott is out. (lower-body injury)

Old
05-03-2012, 09:06 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Ugh, why is Carlo in there? That pairing of him and Shattenkirk has potential disaster written all over it the way they have been playing lately.

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:17 AM
spirek

any news about Halak?

spirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:27 AM
CarvinSigX

I'm sure as hell not going to get my hopes up, but I wouldn't mind a dominating effort tonight. Sweep or no sweep, I just want some effort. No injuries! Blues win 6-1...Please?

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:27 AM
h22prelude93

Keep in my mind guys that these aren't the final lines(just the ones they practiced with yesterday). Hitch also mentioned: "Don't read into the defensive pairs". So I repeat everything above is subject to change.

Spirek: Halak is out for the series.

Old
05-03-2012, 09:55 AM
CarvinSigX

Not reading into defensive pairings tells me Petro is out (shock shock) and Hitch is praying somebody shows him something.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:09 AM
h22prelude93

Cheer up guys...here's some photos of Blues/Kings from yesterdays practices.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4265317...7629954310283/

Old
05-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott

How is Reaves not practicing? Im seriously doubting hitch more and more lately

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:17 AM
the

We need Halak right now! ****...just hope Elliot can keep up the good work,we need a miracle to win this series.

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:41 AM
LBlues26

I feel as if Stewart should be getting more minutes tonight. Not like he deserves it, but this team needs someone to get hot.. and we need this quick. Stewart still has the offensive capabilites of providing a quick spark. Why not play him with Mcdonald and Backes, or Steen and Berglund? All 4 players are strong in their own zone to make up for Stewart's lack of D. We haven't seen much from Oshie and Perron this series, why not try it at this point.

LBlues26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:03 PM
GutsDanson
Rookie User

GutsDanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:17 PM
MissouriBlues2008

Meh.

I'm excited but also I know I'll probably get angry.

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Perro

Good luck tonight. As a King's fan I am very worried abotu tonight's contest. If you win I could see the first four games of the series all won by the road team.
I always knew Backes was a beast, but man oh live is he entertaining to watch. Such a great competitor.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:53 PM
The Note
Overrated

This is basically the season here and I hope they play like it, but we won't be at our best without Pietrangelo so..

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Elliot and the defence need to come up big tonight, or we go down 3-0 and can pretty much wrap it up from there.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:59 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

do or die tonight...while I honestly think it will be the "die" option I wanna see the boys show the world we are not a team who sticks the head in the sand when things aren`t going our way and when we get beaten by our own weapons

as long as we outwork and outmuscle them, the W isn`t that important tonight IMO
our window just opened this year but if the boys show courage and guts this experience should help us in years to come

LET`S GO BLUES!

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
stlweir

Need to turn the special teams play around. O for the PP with two shorties against.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:13 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Petro is in!

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:18 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

They said before Game 2 that what we'd see was what the team was made of, that it would be a gut check, etc. I think we all saw.

Just going to pick a few individual players to focus on tonight to evaluate their decisions and composure in the playoffs under pressure. Haven't decided which guys yet. Maybe 3-4 forwards (one on each line?) and one defenseman on each pairing.

Defense: If Cole plays, probably him. Jackman probably, since a decision is impnding on him. One of the guys on the other pairing. Will evaluate for positioning, decision-making clearing the zone, execution clearing the zone, composure, speed, physicality, offensive contribution.

A few of us should split up the forwards. Don't need to evaluate Andy McDonald probably since it's pretty clear what we can expect from him in the playoffs. Backes, Steen, Oshie, Perron, Berglund, Stewart, Sobotka, Crombeen are all prime candidates.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:18 PM
CarvinSigX

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
Petro is in!
Why do I fear this? This stinks of an injured player being pressured to play.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:20 PM
CarvinSigX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
They said before Game 2 that what we'd see was what the team was made of, that it would be a gut check, etc. I think we all saw.

Just going to pick a few individual players to focus on tonight to evaluate their decisions and composure in the playoffs under pressure. Haven't decided which guys yet. Maybe 3-4 forwards (one on each line?) and one defenseman on each pairing.

Defense: If Cole plays, probably him. Jackman probably, since a decision is impnding on him. One of the guys on the other pairing. Will evaluate for positioning, decision-making clearing the zone, execution clearing the zone, composure, speed, physicality, offensive contribution.

A few of us should split up the forwards. Don't need to evaluate Andy McDonald probably since it's pretty clear what we can expect from him in the playoffs. Backes, Steen, Oshie, Perron, Berglund, Stewart, Sobotka, Crombeen are all prime candidates.
Tell me the players and I'll do my best to keep a +/- sheet on them.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:20 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

It's cool that Petro is playing but he's not at 100% as JR indicated in chat. My expectations are low for his performance, and if he looks bad (which he might) I don't think any of us should hold it against him.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote