HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ranger Fans Who Watch Cbc/Canadian Telecasts?

Old
05-03-2012, 12:12 PM
rangers5000

vCash: 500
Ranger Fans Who Watch Cbc/Canadian Telecasts?

Curious how many of you watch the canadian feeds, cbc seems to be very anti-new york

i get it vs senators, but vs caps why do they focus so much on caps players, showing holbys parents after almost every play, interviewing only senators players during intermission

don cherry inbetween periods spending 6 min praising caps, only 1 on rangers

then the crew from sportsnet also seems anti-new york, last night doug mclean and john shannon said it was all henrik, that he stole the game, and the game was boring

that game was awesome, awesome grinding hockey, how the heck can you say that game was boring

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Blueblood 2

American coach and several key players. It is what it is. Just like NBC being owned by Comcast which owns the Flyers. No love lost there either. I still respect Cherry, by the way. Would be proud to have him as an American. He is a patriot.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
I've never noticed it.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:25 PM
rangers5000

never noticed it?

are u kidding me, did you watch last night, how many times did they show holtbys parents, they cut to them maybe 25-35 times, they had whole story about him last game about his "road to nhl"

what about the rangers storys and parents

Old
05-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark11 View Post
never noticed it?

are u kidding me, did you watch last night, how many times did they show holtbys parents, they cut to them maybe 25-35 times, they had whole story about him last game about his "road to nhl"

what about the rangers storys and parents
do you know of any Rangers parent's who were in the crowd?

Old
05-03-2012, 12:30 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

I didn't notice anything aside from the Holtby's parents thing. It was really annoying but not a big deal.

McDonagh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:32 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

They showed Holtby's parents 100 times on NBC also. They try to make you want to cheer for him.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Above and Beyond

CBC has noticeably favored Ranger opponents. A couple past opening montages were dead giveaways - basically featuring Sens crushing the Rangers in every frame. The commentators, during breaks in play, have generally favored the opposition... I'm not seeing the same game played on the ice apparently and funny how the Rangers keep winning in spite of it all. Don Cherry has briefly praised McD, Callahan, Boyle, etc. at various points though. He was drooling over Hendricks play last night through the whole telecast. Holtby's parents got a ton of attention.

Above and Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:29 PM
yonderboy

I notice it. It's not just CBC, it's most of thee Canadian meda (in Toronto at least). Sound bites, pre-game stories, interviews with journalists covering the teams are all Washington focused. The only thing they ever have to say about the Rangers are jabs at Tortorella (how angry he is, how hard to get along with he is, how he is ready to explode at any second), or about Lundqvist, and about Lundqvist it's not even praise, it's more of grudgingly acknowledging that he is "good." The only feel good story about the Rangers that i've seen since this series started was about Kreider, and it seems they only highlighted him because they couldn't ignore that story.

Again I can only offer perspective from the Toronto area, but it's rather disgusting the way the team is (or should I say isn't?) portrayed.

yonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:43 PM
rangers5000

any of you watch hockeycentral with doug mclean, this guy said last nights game was boring, he had trouble staying up watching it, the host agreed with him

how can he say this, that game was the best of the playoffs

if that was toronto in that game doing what the rangers did do you think they would be singing the same tune, hell they would plan a parade declaring that was game of the century

why is the majority of toronto so anti-new york, whats the deal?

Old
05-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
any of you watch hockeycentral with doug mclean
no, no one should

Old
05-03-2012, 01:46 PM
lbrowne

I actually like watching the CBC feed for the most part. You're basically settling for a lesser product any time you can't hear Sam Rosen call the game.

Cherry has alot of praise for our boys. Was sayin Girardi was one of the best dman in the league and should be a Norris candidate.

I have a soft spot for goalies especially ones with a story, but I'm tired of seeing Holtby's parents. Let off for cryin out loud.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:48 PM
rangers5000

i like kyper, he is one of the few who actually gives the rangers credit, he picked them to win the cup

Old
05-03-2012, 01:50 PM
rangers5000

"I actually like watching the CBC feed for the most part. You're basically settling for a lesser product any time you can't hear Sam Rosen call the game."

i like cbc better than nbc, nbc does have better "loudness" with there mics, but overall cbc is good, im not saying that, i just hate how they always seem to lean atleast 60%-80% to the team playing the rangers

Old
05-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Devo Smith-Pelly didn't seem to mind focusing on the Holtby's:

http://twitter.com/#!/smithpelly23/s...80904545349635

Quote:
Finding myself looking behind Holtbys parents every time they're on cam #hiiii #whoisthat
I don't think they ever showed the girl's face...

Old
05-03-2012, 01:58 PM
yonderboy

Quote:
any of you watch hockeycentral with doug mclean,
I heard it. I don't think it's an anti-NY bias so much as it is anti-american bias. There was a whole uproar not to long ago about how the Leafs have too many America players, American players don't win etc. Well here we are a team stacked with Americans finished first in the East and are moving forwards in the playoffs. No surprise really that CBC and other media don't want to highlight the fact that many of the Rangers best players are American (and is also probably why Brad Richards is one of the few players that gets acknowledged, now that I think of it.)

The rest of it just comes from "experts" not knowing the team, which is something that is painfully obvious this time of year, not just for the Rangers but for all teams. The "experts" like to pretend they know everything, but the reality is they haven't followed the team at all throughout the season therefore don't understand much, and just look for stories where they can that will get the most attention.

yonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:01 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

CBC will gladly praise Mitchell, Prust, Richards, MDZ, Girardi, Staal because they are Canadian. The Rangers have more regulars on the team that are Americans than Canadians.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:03 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Devo Smith-Pelly didn't seem to mind focusing on the Holtby's:

http://twitter.com/#!/smithpelly23/s...80904545349635

I don't think they ever showed the girl's face...

Old
05-03-2012, 02:06 PM
satrabyk

For Don its got to be about his type of Canadian player like a Hendricks etc. He lacks a more open minded eye.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Hensch

CBC has been bias towards the rangers for a long time, this isn't new news at all...

This years playoffs they have been focusing on the feel good story of Chris Kreider a lot, even putting a radar gun on the kid at times.

They praise the Canadian boys on the rangers (No Shock There) and have focused a lot on Ryan Callahan, which in my mind is about damn time!

Hensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:39 PM
rangers5000

but the caps aren't really any more "canadian" than we are, they had what, maybe 2 or 3 extra canadian players than we had?

rangers are very much a north american style team, stacked with canadian/american players that play the rough grinding blocking shot game that canadians love, don cherry preaches this style of game 24/7

so why is it that even against another american team the caps, cbc still has this anti-rangers thing

things i noticed this series, VERY CLEAR THING

-opening montages always seem to show more caps than rangers, even after a ranger win
-showing hotbys parents TONS, i mean how many times did they cut to them, 30-40 times maybe
-on pre games they focus more on the caps players, we got holtbys life story last game, a whole 10 min backstory on a guy who wins 1 playoff round, yet nothing on the king or any other ranger player
-don cherry drooling over hendricks and other caps, and brushing over callahan
-when the rangers win its all the king they say, he stole the game, when the caps won game 2 which they never deserved to it was "ovy is so dam good dale hunter is great"
rangers win "henrick stole the game for them" even though rangers defense is awesome and callahan is the definition of a captain

and i like cbc, between nbc and cbc i watch cbc, they more smart about hockey, and i like cherry, but i don't get the bias, you would think they could want new york to win because ratings do go up, even in canada new york in the finals would get more ratings

i don't get it, i got it with the senators, but vs the caps i dont get it, how some of you can say "i never noticed it" is sickening

Old
05-03-2012, 03:03 PM
xnyker

CBC has been great, They are the Canadian National Broadcast station and for years have given hockey a high priority, and this year with no Canadian teams left in the playoffs they have decided to follow the Rangers.
When you compare a Pittsburgh or Buffalo broadcast during a Ranger game, to last nights CBC's coverage it was very easy to enjoy as a Ranger fan. One of our last games against Pittsburgh we had to listen to the commentators saying how Fluery should be given the consideration for vezina and not Lundquist.
I really do enjoy watching a Hockey game on TV, but never enjoyed overly biased presentations. I always thought that JD and Sam always gave fair evaluations of opposing teams and players. A good play is a good play, and CBC does it as well as anything I've seen so far.

xnyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

I'd rather the CBC feed because Jim Hughson>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Doc

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:24 PM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I'd rather the CBC feed because Jim Hughson>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Doc
ooo I dunno about that one. I hear too many Canuck broadcasts I can't get past his bias for them. I remember when Philly had their run he was so used to saying "GREAT SAVE LUONGO" he almost called the Philly goalie Luongo. Him and Craig are almost unbearable for a Canuck game, but are decent for anything else.

So for me, I prefer Doc actually.

I thought the dumbest thing last night was TSN's highlight of the night... then they show some goal in soccer that was like the 9th goal in the match. Idiots.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:58 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I find that CBC is pretty good to the Rangers. I'd say they're more New York friendly than American broadcasts if anything. If they're playing a Canadian team, there's bound to be some bias, but otherwise...

The original six means much more to them than being anti-New York.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote