HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

WHL Bantam Draft GDT

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2012, 11:52 PM
  #51
DouglasQuaid
Blabbed about Mars
 
DouglasQuaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
What's the story on Jesse Freeborn from Red Deer? I remember seeing him listed as a possible 1st rounder early in the year and I don't even see his name.

DouglasQuaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:41 AM
  #52
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
How does Barzal compare to recent 1st overalls like Virtanen and Forsberg?
Better. Barzal seems to take over and have a completely different presence.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 04:50 AM
  #53
Sticky
JVR-Kadri-Kessel
 
Sticky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Medicine Hat,Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
who was the steal of the draft this year?

Sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 06:15 AM
  #54
Xamboni
BoVat Horseman
 
Xamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cascadia
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJIMODIERE19 View Post
who was the steal of the draft this year?
Judging from the pre-draft rankings, Tate Olson may be a guy that should have gone way earlier.

Xamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:50 AM
  #55
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,843
vCash: 500
Apparently Jordan Kawaguchi was thought to go a lot higher, but there may be other factors in play. (NCAA)

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:52 AM
  #56
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,674
vCash: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Apparently Jordan Kawaguchi was thought to go a lot higher, but there may be other factors in play. (NCAA)
Thanks for putting all the tables together.

It is appreciated.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:09 PM
  #57
james bond
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 560
vCash: 500
Can anyone elaborate on Angus Scott?

james bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:10 PM
  #58
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasQuaid View Post
What's the story on Jesse Freeborn from Red Deer? I remember seeing him listed as a possible 1st rounder early in the year and I don't even see his name.
5'7" is probably why

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:23 PM
  #59
Shoeless Joe
Registered User
 
Shoeless Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Anything on Taz Burman? Red deer rebel fan here.

Shoeless Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 07:21 PM
  #60
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion
 
Coach Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
Was the other Murray an Everett pick ?

And I still don't know why they draft out of bantam..
Agreed. I teach and coach against many of these boys and people need to understand that these are grade 9 boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Better than both by a fair margin IMHO.
Fair margin? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotato Chips View Post
Anything on Taz Burman? Red deer rebel fan here.
Great young goalie. Moved from Vancouver to NSWC and is extremely mobile. Makes himself look big. Either way, once again I want to stress that these are grade 9 boys so the room for development and change is huge.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 07:25 PM
  #61
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Better. Barzal seems to take over and have a completely different presence.
High praise. I'm excited to see what he can do in the next few years. He is 2015 eligible along with McDavid and Noel?

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 07:30 PM
  #62
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion
 
Coach Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,016
vCash: 500
Really lost a lot of faith in this years draft. Some of the players that made it over others really surprised me.

Sadly, if you aren't on a big team or move with a fake address in some cases, there isn't much you can do. I know of at least seven players who were drafted that weren't as good as others who were passed up on. Whether it is politics or who they know, it's disheartening for some of us who watch the kids play at this level night in and night out, and even coach them or against them.


Last edited by Coach Parker: 05-04-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:57 PM
  #63
Joe Hallenback
Registered User
 
Joe Hallenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Really lost a lot of faith in this years draft. Some of the players that made it over others really surprised me.

Sadly, if you aren't on a big team or move with a fake address in some cases, there isn't much you can do. I know of at least seven players who were drafted that weren't as good as others who were passed up on. Whether it is politics or who they know, it's disheartening for some of us who watch the kids play at this level night in and night out, and even coach them or against them.
As someone who used to scout and help draft players for a WHL team, I take exception to this. We never took into account were a kid played or who they know and to suggest teams do that is really ludicrous.

All these teams want to win and they take players they think will not only be the best players in the draft but will work out for their respective organizations.

Joe Hallenback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:21 PM
  #64
BLBarmada
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Agreed. I teach and coach against many of these boys and people need to understand that these are grade 9 boys.



Fair margin? Really?



Great young goalie. Moved from Vancouver to NSWC and is extremely mobile. Makes himself look big. Either way, once again I want to stress that these are grade 9 boys so the room for development and change is huge.
I can tell you that I was in grade 9 during the summer of my draft.... I was 15... Some of these kids are 13.... During that Summer I grew up alot, not physically, but maturity... I wasn't drafted, but the amount of growing I had to do, I would of been in no position to make the choices I would of had to make were I a prospect...

14 is too young, even 15.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:36 PM
  #65
Alberta tough
Registered User
 
Alberta tough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Still on top!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Better than both by a fair margin IMHO.
I do not see that at all especially with Virtanen. Virtanen is a complete player Barzal is not there yet.

Alberta tough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:43 PM
  #66
Ams1fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Being drafted is not the only way to get to the next level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Really lost a lot of faith in this years draft. Some of the players that made it over others really surprised me.

Sadly, if you aren't on a big team or move with a fake address in some cases, there isn't much you can do. I know of at least seven players who were drafted that weren't as good as others who were passed up on. Whether it is politics or who they know, it's disheartening for some of us who watch the kids play at this level night in and night out, and even coach them or against them.
http://amshockey.com/page/how-the-ams-were-built

8 of the 25 roster players for the TC Americans this year were list players, and this doesn't include possible list players that were traded from another team. This includes the CHL scoring champ and Player of the year Brendan Shinnimin, who was not only passed by in the bantam draft but was also cut as a 16 year old.

Ams1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:44 PM
  #67
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
As someone who used to scout and help draft players for a WHL team, I take exception to this. We never took into account were a kid played or who they know and to suggest teams do that is really ludicrous.

All these teams want to win and they take players they think will not only be the best players in the draft but will work out for their respective organizations.
It's not intentional but it may be implicit, by nature you will see a team like BWC a lot more than that rural Manitoba team. It's just the way things work with logistics and things like that.. Sometimes if you've seen a kid once or twice it's going to be harder to take him over that guy you saw play well over the course of ten games.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:53 PM
  #68
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
I do not see that at all especially with Virtanen. Virtanen is a complete player Barzal is not there yet.
In an all-around aspect, certainly, Virtanen is going to be a player and an unbelievable competitor but Barzal's vision, sense and patience seem to be a level higher. For a guy that was also drafted high and blew his league out in terms of points as well, Barzal looked to be on a different level than Estephan when they faced off, and I'm a guy that thinks Estephan will wear a C one day for his team. Barzal just seems to have that quality that screams high-end offense you don't seem to see as often in Western Canada and it really is a treat to watch.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:03 AM
  #69
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,076
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ams1fan View Post
http://amshockey.com/page/how-the-ams-were-built

8 of the 25 roster players for the TC Americans this year were list players, and this doesn't include possible list players that were traded from another team. This includes the CHL scoring champ and Player of the year Brendan Shinnimin, who was not only passed by in the bantam draft but was also cut as a 16 year old.
Agree fully. The draft isn't the end of the road for these kids. Sure, not everyone got picked but there is always time for these kids to prove themselves.

The Blades have two good examples on their roster currently with Darren Dietz being listed in 2009, making the team later that year and being drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in round 5 in 2011.

They also have Travis McEvoy, who had a strong rookie season this year as a 16 year old C after being listed last year.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that not every kid can get picked, but that's life.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:18 PM
  #70
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,162
vCash: 500
What does anyone know about Aaron Kellog taken by Brandon in the 10th round? I heard, good player, thinking of NCAA

sbtatter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:14 PM
  #71
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
What does anyone know about Aaron Kellog taken by Brandon in the 10th round? I heard, good player, thinking of NCAA
Great player and skater stuck on an absolutely godawful team this year. He was ranked extremely high going into the season, he played with actual scrubs but at the all-star game you could see that he really was cream of the crop. I could see this being one of those things where he gets drafted by an NHL team and they want him to report to Brandon for development, I'm sure that is what Brandon is thinking.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 11:27 PM
  #72
SauceHockey
Retired
 
SauceHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: p
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 500
Rim Pitlick is 5'1. He must have to be pretty skilled to even be given a chance with a AA/AAA team

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 11:28 PM
  #73
SauceHockey
Retired
 
SauceHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: p
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Agreed. I teach and coach against many of these boys and people need to understand that these are grade 9 boys.



Fair margin? Really?



Great young goalie. Moved from Vancouver to NSWC and is extremely mobile. Makes himself look big. Either way, once again I want to stress that these are grade 9 boys so the room for development and change is huge.
Are you blaming Burnaby Winter Club for that?

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:13 AM
  #74
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Great player and skater stuck on an absolutely godawful team this year. He was ranked extremely high going into the season, he played with actual scrubs but at the all-star game you could see that he really was cream of the crop. I could see this being one of those things where he gets drafted by an NHL team and they want him to report to Brandon for development, I'm sure that is what Brandon is thinking.
Thanks for the reply!

sbtatter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:28 PM
  #75
fong p88
Registered User
 
fong p88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Bob McKenzie had a list of some of the relatives taken in the first few rounds.

A couple names stick out: Jared McAmmond from Grande Cache, AB (where Dean is from), and Rem Pitlick from Plymouth, MN. Any relations to other players there?
Jared is a nephew of Dean. His dad Ian played in the dub as well.

fong p88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.