HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The KHL Impact on World Championships

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2012, 08:44 AM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
The KHL Impact on World Championships

I was wondering what everyone's opinion on this subject is.

Since the founding of the KHL, there have certainly been some shifts in European hockey. First of all, there was a noticeable return of Russian players back home to play more minutes and for better money. This has increased the pool of available players immensely. Also, they now have a chance to play together for more time during EuroTour rather than jumping from the NHL to the national team in a matter of days.

Secondly, the impact on Eastern European countries. It is official that the next season there are going to be Czech and Slovakian teams in the KHL. They will have better budgets and they will be able to get the best Slovakian/Czech players outside of the NHL(and perhaps some from the NHL) to play in the same team. I am pretty sure this will make those national teams even better.

Finally, it's a huge impact on the former Soviet Union countries. Latvia, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Ukraine will have their teams in the KHL next season. Obviously they can get their best players to play in those clubs and make them build chemistry while competing on the highest European level.

I am fully expecting German and Swiss clubs join the KHL in the near future. I would think we will see a Finnish club there as well. All in all, it is inevitable to see more European players choose to play top minutes in the KHL rather than paly grinder roles in the NHL.

Old
05-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Korolyuk15

vCash: 500
KHL is definitely good for promoting hockey worldwide and also for pushing the development of the NHL...it is easy to see by the level of negativity that people are worried about the KHL challenging the NHL as being the best league in the world

Old
05-18-2012, 08:49 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post

I am fully expecting German and Swiss clubs join the KHL in the near future. I would think we will see a Finnish club there as well. All in all, it is inevitable to see more European players choose to play top minutes in the KHL rather than paly grinder roles in the NHL.
Might be, but first they need to get the product right and interesting.. Now there is kyrilic texts in the jerseys, everything is in russia, the web pages arent that good, promotion of the league is very low.. everyones interested in SM-Liiga and theres alot of talk about how our own league has raised its level alot during last 3-4 years.

Team could have more fans when they play in SM-Liiga, than if they played in KHL. Thats probably the case why Kärpät declined the KHL negociation few years ago. Winning Kanada-malja (Canada-cup) is traditional thing that everyone would wish for their team.. suddenly changing league, playing teams from close to chinas border probably wont be as interesting. They should have european "western conference" or something.

I see KHL becoming in Finland, sweden, swiss and others to be possible later, but first it should become more westerner and the product should be as cool and fine as NHL or atleast close to it. Its not impossible. The official language of the league should definedly be english.

KHL has done alot of good things for european hockey still. Many countries have much much players that would play in NHL with lower minutes today, but now they are in KHL. It brings talent to europe, and that way talent to WHC ect.

Last edited by QnebO: 05-18-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old
05-18-2012, 08:57 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Now there is kyrilic texts in the jerseys,
not true

Old
05-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Muuri

Owner of Espoo Blues was open to KHL talks but when he went to Russia to negotiate, no one was there.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Mara

KHL is great for European hockey. I'd love to see a Finnish club playing there, it would bring a new element to following the league but sadly I think it will take many years.

Most of the Finnish WHC players come from the KHL. It's weird how much has changed in the last decade, last time Finland hosted the WHC we had 14 players from the NHL, now we only have 4.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:07 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Finally, it's a huge impact on the former Soviet Union countries. Latvia, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Ukraine will have their teams in the KHL next season. Obviously they can get their best players to play in those clubs and make them build chemistry while competing on the highest European level.
Seriously?

Old
05-18-2012, 09:15 AM
CCCP

Quote:
First of all, there was a noticeable return of Russian players back home to play more minutes and for better money.
Who came back home? Those who couldn't make it in the NHL (Filatov, Kugryshev, etc.) or those who were already old and just came back home to make some [crazy] money for their retirement (Fedorov, Slava and Viktor Kozlov, etc)?

Old
05-18-2012, 09:16 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Seriously?
I think he's pretty serious.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:18 AM
helgo

Quote:
Secondly, the impact on Eastern European countries. It is official that the next season there are going to be Czech and Slovakian teams in the KHL. They will have better budgets and they will be able to get the best Slovakian/Czech players outside of the NHL(and perhaps some from the NHL) to play in the same team. I am pretty sure this will make those national teams even better.
Nah, best czech and slovakian players will still go to rich russian clubs, where they get more money and actually have chance to win something. Lev and Slovan Bratislava will be bottom feeders for years to come. If there's one thing, these two clubs will do for their nations, it's making their leagues even more miserable...

Old
05-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Paxton Fettel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
Who came back home? Those who couldn't make it in the NHL (Filatov, Kugryshev, etc.) or those who were already old and just came back home to make some [crazy] money for their retirement (Fedorov, Slava and Viktor Kozlov, etc)?
no actually a lot of third liners came back, like Arkhipov, Afanasenkov, Svitov and such. guys who used to be regulars on their NHL teams.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:31 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgo View Post
Nah, best czech and slovakian players will still go to rich russian clubs, where they get more money and actually have chance to win something. Lev and Slovan Bratislava will be bottom feeders for years to come. If there's one thing, these two clubs will do for their nations, it's making their leagues even more miserable...
Donīt have this feeling about Lev Praha, their budget is not so small and they have already signed some good names, though since itīs easier for them to get Slovak players, that might actually profit Slovakia more than CZE.

As for Slovan it doesnīt look to good right now tbh, but theyīre just at the beginning. As for itīs impact on the Slvoak league, looking at the state of other teams it would have been miserable with or without Slovan (although obviously it would still be better with them than without them). But one just simply cannot blame the league sucking on Slovan bolting, because it is not their fault that most of the teams are in debt or that they canīt even manage to pay the players/coachesī salaries.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:31 AM
ViD

Quote:
Seriously?
Seriously what? Look at the roster of the above mentioned teams, the majority of their players come from their only KHL teams

Old
05-18-2012, 09:36 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
The quality is definately up and KHL is a huge part of that. There are more venues for quality players to fill and to develop playing against better players. There is without a doubt an impact that has improved ice hockey alot.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:40 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Donīt have this feeling about Lev Praha, their budget is not so small and they have already signed some good names, though since itīs easier for them to get Slovak players, that might actually profit Slovakia more than CZE.

As for Slovan it doesnīt look to good right now tbh, but theyīre just at the beginning. As for itīs impact on the Slvoak league, looking at the state of other teams it would have been miserable with or without Slovan (although obviously it would still be better with them than without them). But one just simply cannot blame the league sucking on Slovan bolting, because it is not their fault that most of the teams are in debt or that they canīt even manage to pay the players/coachesī salaries.
Btw is it so that Lev Poprad isn't playing in the KHL next season?

The effect of the KHL has definately been huge for Latvia, Belarus, Kazakhstan. The thing I fear, however, is that it will weaken their national leagues or at least interfere with their development. I feel that Dinamo Riga is in too much a dominating position, they should share the goods more IMO. Dinamo Riga has obviously brought a lot of good things for Latvian hockey but their own national league is at a horrendous state.

Slovan Bratislava joining the KHL may be a good thing for now, but I fear it will weaken the extraliga too much and diminish attendance.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:41 AM
ViD

Quote:
So you are saying there's only ~20 Russian players good enough to be in the NHL? Don't be ridiculous

Old
05-18-2012, 09:46 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Btw is it so that Lev Poprad isn't playing in the KHL next season?

The effect of the KHL has definately been huge for Latvia, Belarus, Kazakhstan. The thing I fear, however, is that it will weaken their national leagues or at least interfere with their development. I feel that Dinamo Riga is in too much a dominating position, they should share the goods more IMO. Dinamo Riga has obviously brought a lot of good things for Latvian hockey but their own national league is at a horrendous state.

Slovan Bratislava joining the KHL may be a good thing for now, but I fear it will weaken the extraliga too much and diminish attendance.
Lev Poprad moved to Praha and became Lev Praha.

As for the last sentence, if you take a look at the kind of rosters that the Slvoak league teams currently have it īs hard to imagine that it might fall any lower (though it actually has an upside as it allows young players to play) and itīs not primarily because teams have no money. There just wasnīt any future for Slovan in the slovak league and thereīs not much for Košice now either and they will probably leave the league sooner rather than later - even if it is just for EBEL). Both wanted to play the Czech league, but were not welcomed there, so they did/will go find something else. As for the attendance asides from Košice (where it actually was falling down despite winning 3 championships in a row) and Slovan teh attendance has not been too good anywhere else already.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:51 AM
ozo

Quote:
Seriously what? Look at the roster of the above mentioned teams, the majority of their players come from their only KHL teams
But where's that huge impact you are talking about? Maybe you are talking about negative impact because we and Belarus almost got relegated last year?

Old
05-18-2012, 09:53 AM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Once again, what exactly KHL has done for Latvian (or Belarussian, Kazakh) hockey? You all seem so sure about what are you talking about, but, please, give us something solid.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:55 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Lev Poprad moved to Praha and became Lev Praha.
not at all. Lev Poprad was abolished and Lev Praha took its place. Yes, both clubs have similar ownership but are not the same organisation which was relocated. It is not case of Jets (successor of Thrashers). IMO you know it but other posters dont have to have detail infos. It is sad many slovaks/czechs think HC LEV Praha is the same club like HC LEV Poprad.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:58 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Once again, what exactly KHL has done for Latvian (or Belarussian, Kazakh) hockey? You all seem so sure about what are you talking about, but, please, give us something solid.
you have more money in hockey general, bigger attention of media/fans to hockey.. it is only problem of latvian/kazakh/belarus and maybe slovak hockey federation that can not make thing to re-start developing programme. KHL will not solve all problems, national federation must make steps - they have ideal enviroment for it

Old
05-18-2012, 09:59 AM
torero

The KHL is a great ligue !

And some countries can ice very competitive teams thanks to what VID describes.
as said : Belarus, Latvia, Kazakhstan ... .

++

I'd love to have more Swiss players play in the KHL.
And i'd love to have 1 or 2 Swiss teams in this league. I am convinced it is one of the doors for greater hockey.

++

One of the impacts in Switzerland/NLA is that we do not get the top Canadian/US/Sweded/whateverothercountrysorryforthat players that are not in the NHL. Since salaries are lower here than in KHL, therefore more Swiss players are blossoming with more responsibilities.
Since the KHL exists, it is the first time that the top scorers are Swiss again. I am all for that.
KHL has reestablished a balance in respect of the above point.

++

khl.ru is translated in english and google offers to translate languages therefore i really think that the language matter is overblown.

I personally regret that names are not in cyrilic anymore. It hurts no-one to learn to read another couple of letters. Finally the whole world speaks english !! why can't we learn some cyrilic letters ?? (i know ... hockey is a small part of the reason people speak english ... yet it still is an opportunity to improve and learn something while taking care of our passion)

++

давай кxл !!

Old
05-18-2012, 10:05 AM
CCCP

Quote:
So you are saying there's only ~20 Russian players good enough to be in the NHL? Don't be ridiculous
Next time, before u answer, try to read again and understand what i'm saying.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:07 AM
ViD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
you have more money in hockey general, bigger attention of media/fans to hockey.. it is only problem of latvian/kazakh/belarus and maybe slovak hockey federation that can not make thing to re-start developing programme. KHL will not solve all problems, national federation must make steps - they have ideal enviroment for it
Actually, KHL helps here as well - every team has to have a representative in the MHL so the teams can assemble decent junior squads and let them compete on way higher lever than national junior leagues.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:07 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Yashin
Jagr
Radulov
Radivojevic
Stumpel
Vasicek
Rachunek
N. Kapanen
Bulis
Hudler
Fedorov
S. Kozlov
V. Kozlov
Demitra
Afinogenov
Zherdev
Saprykin
Kalinin

I'm pretty sure these guys would've gotten an NHL contract if they wanted. And there's a lot more I missed.

Closed Thread