HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — Sweden (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2012, 09:27 AM
gretskidoo

vCash: 500
We really need a Grossmann type of D. Every D on the team seems to think they're Karlsson(especially S Kronwall with his ****** dekes).

Old
05-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Hybbe

Likely scenario: Grossman joins the team, caps get eliminated and Bäckström joins the team. Coaching staff decides to stick with the goalies they have.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:48 AM
leksig

According to a interview with Garpenlöv on TV4 he said that Paul Holmgren have said that Grossmann is going to have a knee surgery, but Garpenlöv wants to talk with Grossmann before he writes him off.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:13 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
Well, well. The promising D of this team as seen some weeks ago seems not to full-fill the expectations. in fact neither do the goalies or the forwards.

The bright spot is that the top 6/top 4 is good and of course that we still have hope for future additions.
Really? I couldn't have asked for a much better defense top to bottom. Even with Ericsson out, I like the group back there. Forwards are the best since forever. Top9 is great(only lacks another good center for perfection) and the 4th line is after all a 4th line. Goalies are disappointing, maybe even below average of what we usually have for this tournament. We need a time machine with all of our young goaltenders on the verge of breaking out. But when we usually start these threads in the beginning of the season, a roster this good would be laughed at as 'unrealistic'. You always look for further improvements, as you should, but the corp we already have is already good as it is.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:35 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Really? I couldn't have asked for a much better defense top to bottom. Even with Ericsson out, I like the group back there. Forwards are the best since forever. Top9 is great(only lacks another good center for perfection) and the 4th line is after all a 4th line. Goalies are disappointing, maybe even below average of what we usually have for this tournament. We need a time machine with all of our young goaltenders on the verge of breaking out. But when we usually start these threads in the beginning of the season, a roster this good would be laughed at as 'unrealistic'. You always look for further improvements, as you should, but the corp we already have is already good as it is.

Rewind to the discussion some weeks ago and you'll see what I mean with "not to full-fill the expectations". I could really have had other names on the bottom pairings/6, obviously. But even more, I am not convinced (yet, I hope) that we got what it takes as we are not alone with strong top lines/pairs.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Hockeyfrilla

Grossmann declined.

Last edited by Hockeyfrilla: 05-10-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old
05-09-2012, 04:44 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
Rewind to the discussion some weeks ago and you'll see what I mean with "not to full-fill the expectations". I could really have had other names on the bottom pairings/6, obviously. But even more, I am not convinced (yet, I hope) that we got what it takes as we are not alone with strong top lines/pairs.
I had hopes for Edler and Berglund. And Markstrom/Lundqvist. That's about it personally. Then again I didn't expect the likes of Zetterberg and Kronwall, so maybe it evens out? You can't really complain about having five good NHL D's plus S.Kronwall. Or what about having Landeskog on a 3rd line. That's luxury compared to what we're used to. I can see where you're coming from, it can always be better, but I just think it's a little arbitrary when we have 13-14 NHL players on the team. Good NHL players. With a guy like Hornqvist actually waiting to come while we hope for Backstrom.

I will remain sceptical to the goaltending however, but behind Lundqvist we don't have a clear cut #2, and Enroth was our second best goalie this season in the NHL..

The injuries to Lundqvist and Pettersson hurts the way this team is built, no doubt about that. It's pretty clear that we had(on paper anyway) a top9 for the "pretty" hockey, and then that 4th line for some energy. 4th line now is just three players randomly put together. Well, two players really. Hopefully that can be adjusted in time for the QF. A 4th line of Larsson-Persson-Hornqvist for example should on paper be good enough for the WC. Some years that would've been a second line.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:55 PM
DontToewzMeBro

Hey dudes,
Haven't watched much of the tourney.

As a hawks fan just wondering how Kruger,Stalberg and Hjarlmasson are doing for the team,

Thanks

Old
05-09-2012, 04:57 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
Hey dudes,

As a hawks fan just wondering how Kruger,Stalberg and Hjarlmasson are doing for the team,

Thanks
Awesome, they were the 3 best players in todays game.. mesh well with Landeskog.

Hjalmarsson entered the zone in borje salming-like fashion, after a quick body deke he passed it to Stalberg who one timed it top cheese etc..

Old
05-10-2012, 07:08 AM
kuf

According to Expressen's Mattias Ek, Hörnqvist is on his way to Stockholm and probably will be ready for saturdays game.

I wonder if that means Ericsson is showing progress or if the door is closed for Bäckström? They might not even know for sure themselves yet, ofc.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:10 AM
Hockeyfrilla

yep, Patric Hörnqvist added.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:34 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Franzen-Zetterberg-Eriksson
Hornqvist-Kruger-Alfredsson
Silfverberg-Jarnkrok-Stalberg
Landeskog-Persson-Larsson

Old
05-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Hornqvist-Kruger-Alfredsson
Silfverberg-Jarnkrok-Stalberg
Landeskog-Persson-Larsson
But Landeskog-Krüger-Stålberg work well together...should we really change that?

Old
05-10-2012, 07:53 AM
WayneBruce

I would like to see Hagelin if NYR gets eliminated, perfect energy guy to replace Lundqvist with. Everything now depends on what happens with Ericsson. Now we have some pretty darn effective players around the net in Franzén, Eriksson and Hörnqvist.

Last edited by WayneBruce: 05-10-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old
05-10-2012, 07:56 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
yep, Patric Hörnqvist added.
I am responsible for this. Not only did I recognize Hörnqvist just reached a level where he can compete on an international surface. I also pointed to the fact a forward can play defense if necessary. PH also strengthens his chances to play just being around Globen where he can do some shopping and visit family etc. I would do this as well as long as I didn't have Mike McGillis (Nuckornas GM) breathing down my neck.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:59 AM
joe89

I would start him on the 4th line against Italy and go from there. Ultimately have him play with Alfie. I don't think Silfverberg on the 4th line would be such a bad thing. He gets some easier matchups and a chance to release his shot more often.

Hornqvist-Jarnkrok-Alfredsson
Stalberg-Kruger-Landeskog
Silfverberg-Persson-Larsson

Old
05-10-2012, 09:21 AM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Brodin looking ok playing with other NHL players? I think he has been decent so far. Wondering if he has a good shot playing for the Wild next year. Thanks

Old
05-10-2012, 09:59 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
Brodin looking ok playing with other NHL players? I think he has been decent so far. Wondering if he has a good shot playing for the Wild next year. Thanks
I would say he has a really good chance, but who knows. He's been playing really good and he stands out imo is that he's so calm in the way he plays, almost looks like a veteran D in that respect.

I think that the qualities patience and calm are very important in young D. You can have loads of talent but when if you get nervous or try too much you mess up and that's why (there are of course other reasons as well) it takes some time for young D to develop into NHL ready. Brodin has this quality. When he was asked if he was nervous going on the ice with all the stars in SWE he looked a bit confused and replied (para-phrasing): "No, it seems unnecessary to be nervous, makes no sense to me". EDIT: And then in the game he walked the walk, nothing flashy but he was playing effectively and calmly, very solid.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Manny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
Hey dudes,

Thanks
They were terrific yesterday. Hjarlmarsson in particular has really impressed me.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:26 AM
hz

Franzén-Zetterberg-Eriksson
Stålberg-Kruger-Landeskog
Hörnqvist-Järnkrog-Alfredsson

The wingers really are world class, but the centers look to bad imo (except Zetterberg ofc). Anyone now if some winger can play center?

Old
05-10-2012, 11:58 AM
leksig

Kruger have been great IMO so I don't have any worries about him. He have really clicked with Landeskog and Stålberg.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Tomas W

Krüger has not played "bad".

Old
05-10-2012, 12:44 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by hz View Post

The wingers really are world class, but the centers look to bad imo (except Zetterberg ofc). Anyone now if some winger can play center?
Franzen. But I don't think they're gonna break up the first line, even less change centers. Don't try to fix something that isn't broken. Want to see the team defense get better first hand.

Old
05-10-2012, 01:55 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hz View Post

johan larsson can play center I think

Old
05-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Nordic*

Hedman makes more mistakes alone than the rest of the team combined. His vision and hockey smarts are simply terrible.

He's a big guy who doesn't use his size and strenght at all. He thinks he's Erik karlsson - when in fact he is Hal Gill.

Closed Thread