HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — Sweden (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2012, 02:31 PM
WayneBruce

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Hedman makes more mistakes alone than the rest of the team combined. His vision and hockey smarts are simply terrible.

He's a big guy who doesn't use his size and strenght at all. He thinks he's Erik karlsson - when in fact he is Hal Gill.
Everyone is overreacting bigtime when it comes to Hedman, he is probably our best defenceman when the opposing team puts pressure in our zone. Yes, he has made some bad plays but also some very good ones, people tend to remember the bad ones only. N. Kronwall made a lot more mistakes than Hedman yesterday against Germany.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:49 PM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
Brodin looking ok playing with other NHL players? I think he has been decent so far. Wondering if he has a good shot playing for the Wild next year. Thanks
Brodin will likely start in the AHL next year. While he is probably better right now than 1-3 of the players the Wild will field on D next year, the combination of one way contracts and 2 way contracts that will require waivers to get to the AHL that already exist will likely force him down. He will get top pairing minutes in the AHL and likely be the first injury callup on D.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:39 AM
Manny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlamov71 View Post
Everyone is overreacting bigtime when it comes to Hedman, he is probably our best defenceman when the opposing team puts pressure in our zone. Yes, he has made some bad plays but also some very good ones, people tend to remember the bad ones only. N. Kronwall made a lot more mistakes than Hedman yesterday against Germany.
I disagree. Hedman has been horrible. I had the same hockey smarts when I was eight.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:16 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
I disagree. Hedman has been horrible. I had the same hockey smarts when I was eight.
Doesn't matter if you disagree, it's still wrong. The "Hedman is horrible" etc arguments were closed more than 6 months ago for everyone who has even a slight idea of how the game, and defense, works...

Old
05-11-2012, 03:26 AM
Ovechkid08

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlamov71 View Post
From an outsider perspective I would say he hasn't been terrible, but he definitely doesn't look confident with the puck. I haven't seen any complete games, just a period here and there of the Swedish games and he just looks out of sorts, rushing passes and trying to chip it out even when he has some time, or should be able to make some space to get a clear outlet pass. I think people hold him to a high standard based on his draft position but I think he needs to be more willing to show off the immense skills he has in his repertoire, the WC's are not the time to be conservative IMO. Just my two cents, and clearly an international tournament does not provide a complete view of the player, just a little bit disappointing that he hasn't stood out in a good way as of yet in the tourney.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:33 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Hedman makes more mistakes alone than the rest of the team combined. His vision and hockey smarts are simply terrible.

He's a big guy who doesn't use his size and strenght at all. He thinks he's Erik karlsson - when in fact he is Hal Gill.
I think he has mixed great plays with abysmal plays. He should play a bit more safe in Swedens own end that is true. As Ovechkid08 says he too slow/and inaccurate with the outletpass.

So well, he need to improve, but he have made som nice takeaways and rushes as well.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:39 AM
RedLeader

vCash: 700
Hedman doesn't have high level of hockey smarts, does it make him a horrible defensemen? Not overall thats hyberbole but his propensity to make huge errors could be the difference between winning or losing.

So could Erik Karlsson for that matter even though he has become better at making up it for when he screws up.

Don't forget N. Kronwall is in my book responsible for our loss against Slovakia in the Olympics. He needs to learn you cannot step up at the offensive blue line on big ice against teams with fast forwards, they will punish you.

Hedman has sort of become the teams goat where every mistake he does gets magnified by commentators which leads to hyperbolic posters like Nordic think he's the worst defensemen of all time!!

Last edited by RedLeader: 05-11-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Old
05-11-2012, 03:49 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkid08 View Post
From an outsider perspective I would say he hasn't been terrible, but he definitely doesn't look confident with the puck. I haven't seen any complete games, just a period here and there of the Swedish games and he just looks out of sorts, rushing passes and trying to chip it out even when he has some time, or should be able to make some space to get a clear outlet pass. I think people hold him to a high standard based on his draft position but I think he needs to be more willing to show off the immense skills he has in his repertoire, the WC's are not the time to be conservative IMO. Just my two cents, and clearly an international tournament does not provide a complete view of the player, just a little bit disappointing that he hasn't stood out in a good way as of yet in the tourney.
That looks more right imo. His draft position has raised expectations on him but I wouldn't be so fast in saying that he's not playing up to standards of a 2nd overall just yet. There are a few high end prospects who have bloomed out fast but generally it takes time and he has been improving and working on his weak spots every year. If his development curve continues like this he'll be living up to his draft position within a year or two imo.

That said, I'd say that he is one of the best D we have on the roster, he definitely is in Tampa, but it is very obvious that he needs to improve in some areas.

I for one would love to have him on my team (EDM). He's already 1st/2nd pair quality and will only become better.

Old
05-11-2012, 06:19 AM
fredligh

I think Hedmans 'smarts', is just fine, but its his poor ability to concentrate when games get out of hand like VS Denmark, and when hes not 100 % focused he turns in to "terrible", terrible decisions, stupid penalties etc.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:56 AM
jfc64

Wow, is there a debate over Hedman?

His problem is some referees (who might not advance to the final games) AND his decision to try to develop into an offensive defenseman using unimportant NHL and WC games for that.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:42 PM
gretskidoo

So now that Fasth is finally exposed for the garbage he is.. does anyone still want him as starter?

Old
05-11-2012, 03:43 PM
icing

Seriously. Does any team except AIK want Fasth next season?
Normally you worry about your player showcasing themselfes in the WC, but this can be AIK:s golden ticket.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:48 PM
joe89

Fasth is a better goalie than this, but he's in horrible shape. Same with Enroth.

Markstrom is 1-3 in his series, playing tonight. Barring Lundqvist becoming available, I don't think they would hesitate to call him in.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:50 PM
icing

How many spots do we have open? Franzén with a broken nose...Can he play with visor?

Old
05-11-2012, 04:04 PM
gretskidoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by icing View Post
How many spots do we have open? Franzén with a broken nose...Can he play with visor?
2 or 3 spots are open. Not enough to get this team anywhere.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Hockeyfrilla

1 spot for a skater is open, 1 for goalie

Old
05-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Trotzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
1 spot for a skater is open, 1 for goalie
Fan-fukking-tastic, IIHF and their rules can suck my hairy balls.
I'll even shave them for good measure.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Glory

We need Lundqvist and Hagelin. Go Caps go!

Old
05-11-2012, 04:19 PM
joe89

Franzen will play, maybe not tomorrow but probably Latvia and onwards. Hornqvist coming tomorrow will ease the fall a bit.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:31 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Even Lindbäck would be a big upgrade over Fasth, atleast he Got Rinne Size and very solid butterfly style.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Hockeyfrilla

swedish pk is brutal, must improve

Old
05-11-2012, 04:40 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
swedish pk is brutal, must improve
It's a mistake on Marts' part to play the best offensive players that much on the PK. He needs to accept the role players he has with Lundqvist and Pettersson out. I thought Larsson had his best game so far tonight for example, yet only played 11 mins.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:45 PM
benzino

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Even Lindbäck would be a big upgrade over Fasth, atleast he Got Rinne Size and very solid butterfly style.
I agree but he is probably very rusty. Rinne played a lot the last 2 months so Lindbäck is far from match fit. Shame Jonas Gustavsson said no, Enroth might be the worst NHL goalie Sweden have, ok Henrik Karlsson is worse hehe.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Harikkerk

So now when Franzén's nose is broken....what now? Will he play?

This team is slowly dying out by injuries. I don't want more SEL players!!!!!

Old
05-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Hockeyfrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harikkerk View Post
So now when Franzén's nose is broken....what now? Will he play?
Will use cage, however i think he will rest vs italy.

Closed Thread