HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The FAN 1200 - Pierre McGuire - 3rd overall vs J. Staal??

Old
05-03-2012, 12:47 PM
No Team Needed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
He didn't say that at all...

It was a suggestion, which he immediately followed it up by saying he doesn't think the Pens are looking to move Staal and that the more likely candidate to be moved at some point is Malkin
Thanks for clarifying and I agree with Marc.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:48 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

What he meant was 3rd overall for Toews.

Ahem.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DJ Breadman

Actually that wouldn't be a bad move, the draft is a little weak this year, only thing that concerns me is he is always hurt

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Good to get clarification...and if they are indeed willing to move Malkin, they can have the 3rd.
Sounded more like fantasy talk to me more then anything. I doubt both sides would do that deal as is.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:50 PM
onice

Players picked at the #3 spots the last 10 years:

11- Huburdeau
10- Gudbranson
09- Duchene
08- Bogosian
07- Turris
06- Towes
05- Joshnson
04- Barker
03- Horton
02- Bowmeester

As you can see the chances of getting an impact player increased with the later years. That's because I believe on the whole the pool of good players is getting better.

I would rather have a Towes, Duchene, Grudbranson or Huburdeau than J Staal.

So no I would keep my 3rd pick.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:53 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
So Pierre got turned down for the GM job and already knows what Bergevin is trying to do?

Was Molson working this trade out with Shero and told McGuire, or did McGuire's good buddy Shero tell him?

Is this sillier than the Gomez buyout speculation?
This might have been a hypothetical situation brought up in an interview. Would you trade #3 for Jordan Staal? My response would have been only if we could work Letang into the deal with Pleks going to Pittsburgh.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Paddyjack

Quote:

BTW, for those who were pro-McGuire as GM, this is several times now he has suggested dealing the pick or picks/prospects to improve immediately...we dodged a bullet.
Agreed. In fact, he may have mentioned something in these lines during interviews and that killed his chances for the position

Paddyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:56 PM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post

If Stall is acquired, Plekanec will be traded for a good second line winger.

The third pick will not be a concession player anyway.
That's the kind of talent analysis that people usually ignore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
He didn't say that at all...

It was a suggestion, which he immediately followed it up by saying he doesn't think the Pens are looking to move Staal and that the more likely candidate to be moved at some point is Malkin
Thanks for the perspective. I highly doubt McGuire would be as blunt as to reveal negociations or potential moves 1 day after losing a GM position with the team he was interested in managing.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Jordan Staal keeps getting better and better despite limited ice time (no pp) and can shut down. I don't like the fact that he will be a UFA after next season but if we can trade for him I'd be all in. He was great in the playoffs

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
This might have been a hypothetical situation brought up in an interview. Would you trade #3 for Jordan Staal? My response would have been only if we could work Letang into the deal with Pleks going to Pittsburgh.
So now you want one of the best shut down centers in the league plus Pittsburgh's number one defenceman for 3rd overall pick and a very good second line two way center?

Old
05-03-2012, 12:57 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Shouldn't this be in the trade proposals thread since Pierre McGuire thankfully has nothing to do with our franchise?

I'd rather draft Galchenyuk than trade the pick for Staal, like its been said already if we trade for Staal we'll still need a #1 centre.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
We could dream about that. Maybe Despres but they're not moving Letang especially at his cap hit, he is a steal for the Penguins

Old
05-03-2012, 12:58 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
I'd rather draft Galchenyuk than trade the pick for Staal, like its been said already if we trade for Staal we'll still need a #1 centre.
Jordan Staal is a first line center needing ice time.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

It is the contract situation that is the kicker. I'd trade the #3 overall for long-term possession of Staal. Easy. But with the reality instead that Staal is just signed for 1 more year and then becomes UFA... well, it's a non-starter.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Shouldn't this be in the trade proposals thread since Pierre McGuire thankfully has nothing to do with our franchise?

Staal had 25 goals and helpers for 50pts in only 62 games despite playing behind the 2 best Centers in the league with limited ice time.

I think some forget that Jordan is only 23 years old, he isn't 32

Old
05-03-2012, 01:03 PM
DenverHabsFan

Forgive me for comparing the two players but I would be afraid Stall would turn into another Antoine Vermette. Essentially a player who was always thought to be better if he would only get 1st line minutes. There is a huge difference between the defensive coverage of a 1st line center and 2nd-3rd.

The only thing that makes that trade attractive is the uncertainty with the prospects this year. I don't think there will be a Toews available at our draft position.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

So you all think our 1st round pick will be better Staal?

Lol poor guy he's already a bust and he's not even draft.

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Bieber fever

Signed Staal for the 3rd overall pick is fair and I would probably do it . But the 3rd overall pick for 1 year of Staal ? lol never.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:05 PM
JohnnyReb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Staal had 25 goals and helpers for 50pts in only 62 games despite playing behind the 2 best Centers in the league with limited ice time.

I think some forget that Jordan is only 23 years old, he isn't 32
Agreed. 6'4, 220lbs, excellent defensively, excellent on the penalty kill, great character, good on faceoffs, scored 25 goals in only 62 games, and is only 23. What more do people want from a #1 center??

The contract situation wouldn't be an issue for me. You open the vault, plain and simple.

The only think I would be concerned with is the injury thing. If you don't think he's going to be a healthy player, then you hesitate. But in terms of performance, and everything this franchise needs, and indeed is hoping to draft this summer, he's exactly it.

JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Good to get clarification...and if they are indeed willing to move Malkin, they can have the 3rd.

BTW, for those who were pro-McGuire as GM, this is several times now he has suggested dealing the pick or picks/prospects to improve immediately...we dodged a bullet.
he's not the only one
practically everyone has suggested moving the 3rd at one point or another especially for Stall or Huberdeau

mcguire haters are so bad
its like all you guys do is ignore the world and just wait for PM to say something bad.

At first i wanted PM as GM but the more i read about him and the more other candidates surfaced, it was clear he was no the best choice, but he's still very knowledgeable. So many ppl discredit him based on his tv persona.

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Miller Time

no way the team does it for a "UFA in 1 year" Staal.... at least i hope not.

but if they were able to secure some negotiation rights, and managed to get a commitment from Staal to sign a long-term extension that both sides agreed to (something in the 5-6M$ range over 4-6 years I'd imagine), then I'd have to seriously consider it...

People make much of Staal not being more than a 60pt guy thus far, but at 24 & given the role he's largely been used in thus far, I'm more of the opinion that in a permanent top-6 role, he'd emerge as a roughly ppg level producer (70-80pts/season), while remaining an excellent two-way player.

in many ways he's a perfect complement to our current C group, allowing us to move whichever of the other 3 produces the greatest return.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Players picked at the #3 spots the last 10 years:

11- Huburdeau
10- Gudbranson
09- Duchene
08- Bogosian
07- Turris
06- Towes
05- Joshnson
04- Barker
03- Horton
02- Bowmeester

As you can see the chances of getting an impact player increased with the later years. That's because I believe on the whole the pool of good players is getting better.

I would rather have a Towes, Duchene, Grudbranson or Huburdeau than J Staal.

So no I would keep my 3rd pick.
but this year is one of the weakest drafts in atleast the last 5 years.

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habster33 View Post
Did anyone else just heard what Pierre McGuire just said on The FAN 1200?

3rd overall vs Jordan Staal
our GM said yesterday he will trade the 3rd over all pick, if he thinks it will make the team better

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:12 PM
GrangerX

I would take Staal for the 3rd if we were allowed to negotiate with him. The guy was great in the playoffs and IMO has the potential to be exactly what we've lacked on this team forever...a big, skilled center who in addition is defensively responsible and is a great penalty killer. He also had 50 points in 62 games this year playing as the 2nd or 3rd line center with limited PP time. The injury issues the past couple of years re a bit of a concern, but people are talking about Galchenyuk (whose game I also really like) who himself is coming off an ACL tear. If you can't negotiate with him beforehand though and he's gonna be a UFA after next season, I agree it could be too big of a risk. We cannot afford to trade this pick for someone and lose him in a year...that is completely not an option.

GrangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:12 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
So now you want one of the best shut down centers in the league plus Pittsburgh's number one defenceman for 3rd overall pick and a very good second line two way center?
There's not much difference between Staal and Plekanec. So it's #3 for Letang and I'd add a little more to sweeten the pot. Staal's an impending UFA after next season, I wouldn't even think about #3 for Staal straight up - sillyness.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote