HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The FAN 1200 - Pierre McGuire - 3rd overall vs J. Staal??

Old
05-03-2012, 08:13 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
The guy has played with very ordinary wingers since the beginning of his carreer.

Put him on the market and I am sure Edmonton would give their 1st overall pick for him.

I'd rather give 5 million a year to Staal than to Plekanec
I completely agree with that last statement but that's completely different then trading your 3rd overall pick for a guy that gets you 50-60 pts per yr. It would be more reasonable to trade Pleks for Staal than to trade our 3rd overall pick for Staal.

At least Pleks and Staal get u similar numbers. Both are good defensively too. The only difference is the size factor.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Andy

Considering Staal would need a new contract and he would be getting a significant increase imo, it would be a pretty big price to pay for Staal. It's definitely something worth thinking about. It shouldn't be an easy decision.

If Staal was signed at 4.5 million for the 10 years I would say yes hands down, but something tells me that Staal will easily ask for 6 million a year on his next contract and I don't think he's proved he's worth that much.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:17 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
I completely agree with that last statement but that's completely different then trading your 3rd overall pick for a guy that gets you 50-60 pts per yr. It would be more reasonable to trade Pleks for Staal than to trade our 3rd overall pick for Staal.

At least Pleks and Staal get u similar numbers. Both are good defensively too. The only difference is the size factor.
Not for anything but only 20 centers in the NHL got 60 or more points. If our team can have 2 legit 60-70 point centers who are two-way players along with a strong supporting cast of DD(who finished 20th in centers this year) and Eller I think that's excellent.

60 points is first line center(1B), 70 is legit #1 and 80+ is elite.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:19 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Considering Staal would need a new contract and he would be getting a significant increase imo, it would be a pretty big price to pay for Staal. It's definitely something worth thinking about. It shouldn't be an easy decision.

If Staal was signed at 4.5 million for the 10 years I would say yes hands down, but something tells me that Staal will easily ask for 6 million a year on his next contract and I don't think he's proved he's worth that much.
The condition to his price tag is a legit reason to reject the proposal, but if it's say a Plekanec type deal 5 mil for 5 years then...I beg them to take the 3rd overall for him.

Old
05-03-2012, 08:21 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
He scored 25 in 62 games this year. How is 25 no where close to 29?

In fact, 25 goals in 62 games is like 33 goals in 82 games.

Staal is likely a 30 goal-35/40 assist center IMO.

Not elite but with his size and solid two-way play he'd make an excellent combo with Plekanec IMO.
Galchenyuk numbers at age 16 were better than Jordan Staal's numbers at age 17. You want to give up the opportunity to get a player the could very easily eclipse Staal for a guy that'll get you 50 pts per year??

And I guarantee that Staal will not fix all that is wrong with this team. We're still a few yrs away from being a contender so we might as well relax and draft a good prospect wait til he develops in 2-3 yrs.

Old
05-03-2012, 08:22 PM
habitue*

Quote:

It would then be reasonable to trade Pleks for a good top-two line winger.

I think that with DD, Staal and Eller, we would just be fine at center. DD would be the oldest of the three.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:23 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Galchenyuk numbers at age 16 were better than Jordan Staal's numbers at age 17. You want to give up the opportunity to get a player the could very easily eclipse Staal for a guy that'll get you 50 pts per year??

And I guarantee that Staal will not fix all that is wrong with this team. We're still a few yrs away from being a contender so we might as well relax and draft a good prospect wait til he develops in 2-3 yrs.
And if Columbus takes Galchenyuk ?

Old
05-03-2012, 08:26 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

Wow, we're talking about a guy who missed an entire year of development. Look, i'll support galchenyuk if he's drafted by us but lets not think miracles. Corey Locke had great years in the OHL, your point?

You keep saying 50 points per year. Staal is not a 50 point player. It's evident to anyone that while he's not a franchise center he's not a 3rd liner.

I'd rather trade the vets and build up honestly, but it won't happen, and Staal is not a fix, he's a long term piece for the core. He's same age as subban, price, pacioretty...He's EXACTLY in the right spot to be a huge addition to our core. No one expects him to be a savior.

Old
05-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Schooner Guy

Bergeron's priority right now is to find the team a head coach.

Pierre McGuire's an insecure attention seeking drama queen with an extreme case of small man syndrome. I can't believe so many wanted him to be our GM.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:34 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
And if Columbus takes Galchenyuk ?
Then we take Forsberg who may be the best out of all the prospects. I'd still prefer Forsberg over Staal.

Staal got drafted 2nd overall in 2006 because everyone was looking at size that yr. He was a big kid who only produced 68 pts in 68 games. That ain't great. Claude Giroux put up 103 pts and 106 pts at ages 16 and 17, respectively but he was small in comparison to Staal. Everyone now knows Giroux should've gone first or second. Here we have the chance to draft the best european prospect or Galchenyuk who had more points than Staal at age 17 when he was only 16. All I'm saying is that Galchenyuk and Forsberg are bound to be better than Staal so just be patient.

Old
05-03-2012, 08:36 PM
habdynasty

Quote:
Wow, we're talking about a guy who missed an entire year of development. Look, i'll support galchenyuk if he's drafted by us but lets not think miracles. Corey Locke had great years in the OHL, your point?

You keep saying 50 points per year. Staal is not a 50 point player. It's evident to anyone that while he's not a franchise center he's not a 3rd liner.

I'd rather trade the vets and build up honestly, but it won't happen, and Staal is not a fix, he's a long term piece for the core. He's same age as subban, price, pacioretty...He's EXACTLY in the right spot to be a huge addition to our core. No one expects him to be a savior.

Yes Staal would be a great addition.

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:36 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:

I have no problem trading vets for Staal outside of Subban, Price and Patches. Just don't sell the farm for some instantaneous help that'll come in the form of 50-60 pts is all I'm saying.

Old
05-03-2012, 08:38 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Then we take Forsberg who may be the best out of all the prospects. I'd still prefer Forsberg over Staal.

Staal got drafted 2nd overall in 2006 because everyone was looking at size that yr. He was a big kid who only produced 68 pts in 68 games. That ain't great. Claude Giroux put up 103 pts and 106 pts at ages 16 and 17, respectively but he was small in comparison to Staal. Everyone now knows Giroux should've gone first or second. Here we have the chance to draft the best european prospect or Galchenyuk who had more points than Staal at age 17 when he was only 16. All I'm saying is that Galchenyuk and Forsberg are bound to be better than Staal so just be patient.
We need a big center. And Forsberg, a winger, is another guy far away from NHL play.

Old
05-03-2012, 08:39 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

If you honestly think Staal will make us a winner as of next yr you're deluding yourself. Pittsburgh had Staal AND Malkin AND Crosby but could't make it past the first round. Yet some people think that he'll make the 28th place Canadiens and contender as of next yr. It's insane.

Old
05-03-2012, 08:40 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
We need a big center. And Forsberg, a winger, is another guy far away from NHL play.
Funny most scouts are saying he's the most NHL ready prospect of the bunch. He already plays with men.

Old
05-03-2012, 08:41 PM
habitue*

Quote:
If you honestly think Staal will make us a winner as of next yr you're deluding yourself. Pittsburgh had Staal AND Malkin AND Crosby but could't make past the first round. Yet some people think that he'll make the 28th place Canadiens and contender as of next yr. It's insane.
That happened during playoffs.

You don't remember the Habs beating the Caps and the Pens with a hot goalie 3 years ago ?

Old
05-03-2012, 09:03 PM
shiftycanuck
Habby Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
DD gets the boot if Staal comes.

But I don't know if I want Staal or multiple years (including 3 under ELC) of Galchenyuk, Grigorenko or Forsberg. Think I'd go for the latter.
You got it backwards bro. DD Stays, Staal is the best two-way Center in the league, he would protect the Patches/DD/Cole line better then Pleks does.

We trade Plekanec for for a solid Winger

shiftycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

As always within HF, Potential trumps Proven Players
Heck, this time it's any 5 no NHL experience guys>>>J Staal

You guys rock

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Eric and everyone in the family always, always said jordan staal was the most talented of the 4 kids

People shouldnt think our 3rd pick is better than j. Staal.

Would i make the deal, i dont know, but one thing for SURE is jordan is overshadowed by not 1 but the 2 best players in the world, it would be interresting to see what he could do as head honcho like his brother eric

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Maxpac

Man, why is there so few people that get that Staal plays a defensive role behind the 2 best centers in the whole league? 60 point cieling my ass, he constantly gets his line puck control in the offensive line, that's with Matt Cooke and Tyler Kennedy of all players! Give him 1st line minutes with 1st line duties and the sky's the limit for him. I can't believe people would say no to a well proven hard working 6'4 2-way beast.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars0987 View Post
You got it backwards bro. DD Stays, Staal is the best two-way Center in the league, he would protect the Patches/DD/Cole line better then Pleks does.

We trade Plekanec for for a solid Winger
Exactly, something like Plekanec for Radulov could be something worth considering.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:28 PM
mytor4*

Trading our pick for Staal would be the worst mistake we can make right now.
We have a shot at getting a 1st line center. Why would we trade that for a 2nd line center. We have plenty of 2nd line centers,Pleks,Eller soon.
If M.B trades our pick for Staal than he's no better than the guy we fired.
Christ i hope M.B isn't that stupid.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:46 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I think a lot of people here are confusing Jordan Staal's role with his skill level. He's the best 3rd line C in the league. He'd be a good 2nd liner if we didn't already have 2-3 2nd line centers already. 2 of which fall into the same 2-way center mold as J. Staal. He's not something we're missing. As Bergevin said, we need a mix.

This team lacks an offensive leader. We've never had a better chance than this year's draft to get one. We 'could' add a Jordan Staal and we 'could' have a fluke turnaround a la ottawa senators, but parity is a double edged sword that can just as easily cut the other way. We need quite a few good moves to revamp our D-Squad before we start putting fear into any playoff contenders. And I say that as one of the few who still contends that the habs of 2011-2012 weren't nearly as bad as their record implies.

You got my backing. Best Post in the entire thread.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Bergeron's priority right now is to find the team a head coach.

Pierre McGuire's an insecure attention seeking drama queen with an extreme case of small man syndrome. I can't believe so many wanted him to be our GM.
Bergerwho!

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

McGuire sure knows how to set the boards into a tizzy.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote