HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Replacing Skates

Old
05-02-2012, 10:39 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Replacing Skates

How often do you guys replace your skates on average? I know there are no hard and fast rules on this, but I was trying to get a bit of a consensus on here. I got the skates (Vapor X30s) about 2 1/2 years ago and they are really starting to show signs of wear, but they still feel fine. I think most of wear is cosmetic, but when the skate starts to break down are there parts that break down that you can't see that could lead to some sort of injury?

Also when i do upgrade I am planning on sticking with the Vapors as they fit me well, but I planning on jumping up a couple levels to possibly the X6.0. There is no way I would pay for the APX and the 7.0 is still pretty expensive, but the 6.0 seems reasonable enough. Any reason I should consider moving up to the 7.0 for and does anyone have any experiences with either that they'd like to share? Thanks

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Depends on the mileage of the skates and how well you take care of them.

I've been on the ice about 4-5 times a week for nearly 8 months now... And it's already showing signs of wear and tear.

I might get a new pair next year if I keep this up.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Stickmata

The best player on my team, who is a heavy guy and really, really skilled, skates on 22 year old Bauers. And he has played at least 3 games a week on those skates over those 22 years. Good skates last a looooonnnng time. 2 years is just breaking in.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Happy Fan
nifty

Just wanted to know the best one stop place to try on all the skates I can before I go and buy a pair online?

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:35 AM
donkers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
The best player on my team, who is a heavy guy and really, really skilled, skates on 22 year old Bauers. And he has played at least 3 games a week on those skates over those 22 years. Good skates last a looooonnnng time. 2 years is just breaking in.
Unfortunately they don't make skates the way they used to

I miss my old Pro Tacks. Ever since those pair of skates everything has lasted 1-2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
Just wanted to know the best one stop place to try on all the skates I can before I go and buy a pair online?
That's kind of lame if you're going to use a shop for their fitting service then turn around and buy somewhere else.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:41 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Yeah don't do that please. Just buy at the shop where you tried on skates at. You don't get a free bake and sharpen buying online, which you'll probably have to pay extra to get it done locally anyhow. Factor in shipping and you'll most likely pay around the same amount. Support your shop.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Happy Fan
nifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkers View Post

I miss my old Pro Tacks. Ever since those pair of skates everything has lasted 1-2 years.

That's kind of lame if you're going to use a shop for their fitting service then turn around and buy somewhere else.
Well, online has the best value, I just really want to know what exact model has the best fit. The workers still get paid hourly anyways lol I get what you mean but I don't wanna order something as important as skates online and go through the hassle of getting it replaced, just find the exact skate dimensions I need and then order it.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Happy Fan
nifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Yeah don't do that please. Just buy at the shop where you tried on skates at. You don't get a free bake and sharpen buying online, which you'll probably have to pay extra to get it done locally anyhow. Factor in shipping and you'll most likely pay around the same amount. Support your shop.
Well I would eventually go to the store for a bake and sharpen. Theres no question that I can get some really good skates at good value, even with shipping. If I can find a model that was 3 years removed from being 800 and down to 350 on a clearance sale or something, I'm down for that. I also wouldn't bake a skate and then bail on it, c'mon.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:22 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Well I would eventually go to the store for a bake and sharpen. Theres no question that I can get some really good skates at good value, even with shipping. If I can find a model that was 3 years removed from being 800 and down to 350 on a clearance sale or something, I'm down for that. I also wouldn't bake a skate and then bail on it, c'mon.
You can find those same deals at shops. I prefer to go to smaller stores where I know the employees are knowledgable. You could go to a big box store like Pure Hockey or Monkeysports if there are any near you and your goal is to just try on a lot of boots, but you won't get the best fitting service.

I buy a lot of hockey gear online, but one thing I won't ever buy online is skates.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Happy Fan
nifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
You can find those same deals at shops. I prefer to go to smaller stores where I know the employees are knowledgable. You could go to a big box store like Pure Hockey or Monkeysports if there are any near you and your goal is to just try on a lot of boots, but you won't get the best fitting service.

I buy a lot of hockey gear online, but one thing I won't ever buy online is skates.
But if you knew the exact specifications of the skates you were ordering and knew how it would fit, would you order it then?

Old
05-03-2012, 10:45 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
But if you knew the exact specifications of the skates you were ordering and knew how it would fit, would you order it then?
If I had a mold of my foot and could send that to Bauer or CCM and get a skate perfectly formed to my feet then yes. Baking is very important to fitting the skate. Size and model only get you so far. To get the perfect fit, you really need to try them on and have them baked, and I would not go into a store, try on a bunch of skates, and then be like "welp, see you later, I'm gonna go spend my 300 bucks online, but I'll be back to pay you 10 bucks to sharpen and bake these for me".

Old
05-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Happy Fan
nifty

Quote:
If I had a mold of my foot and could send that to Bauer or CCM and get a skate perfectly formed to my feet then yes. Baking is very important to fitting the skate. Size and model only get you so far. To get the perfect fit, you really need to try them on and have them baked, and I would not go into a store, try on a bunch of skates, and then be like "welp, see you later, I'm gonna go spend my 300 bucks online, but I'll be back to pay you 10 bucks to sharpen and bake these for me".
well i have flat feet, its a challenge for me. but i'll look into finding local, thanks.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:52 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
well i have flat feet, its a challenge for me. but i'll look into finding local, thanks.
Best thing for flat feet is a good pair of insoles. A pair of Superfeet will give you support that no stock insole can match. I'm of the opinion that no matter what the skate (aside from Grafs that come with SIDAS footbeds) they will benefit from a quality aftermarket insole.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Happy Fan
nifty

Quote:
Best thing for flat feet is a good pair of insoles. A pair of Superfeet will give you support that no stock insole can match. I'm of the opinion that no matter what the skate (aside from Grafs that come with SIDAS footbeds) they will benefit from a quality aftermarket insole.
I've had super feet before, I can't seem to find them at the moment lol I was leaning towards the S17 which has the wider footbed and minimal arch, I'd like a skate without an insole, less maintenance.

Old
05-03-2012, 11:02 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Thank you AmazedRink for the full on thread hijack.

If anyone has anymore comments on replacing skates, I'd love to hear them. Thanks

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkers View Post

I dunno, my Grafs are going on 2 years old, skate 2-3 times a week, and they're barely broken in. My guess is they'll last 10 years. Another buddy on my team, similar use, has a 2 year old pair of Bauer 180's and they're in similar shape. I can't imagine a good skate truly breaking down to the point of needing replacement in 1-2 years of use.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:47 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
I've had super feet before, I can't seem to find them at the moment lol I was leaning towards the S17 which has the wider footbed and minimal arch, I'd like a skate without an insole, less maintenance.
...all skates have insoles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post

If anyone has anymore comments on replacing skates, I'd love to hear them. Thanks
My first pair of skates was a pair of CCM 1052s in 2001. I replaced them with Pro Tacks 2 years later because I outgrew them. I replaced my Pro Tacks with U+06s a couple months ago because my foot shape changed and the Pro Tacks were hurting my instep. The Pro Tacks are still in fantastic shape structurally (some superficial cuts and scuffs on the boot and I had to replace the holders) and I'm probably going to sell them on MSH or eBay soon.

I would replace them when they are uncomfortable to skate in or you notice a degradation in performance. Excessive boot flex, new pressure points, structural damage that can't be repaired, etc.

Old
05-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

Quote:
...all skates have insoles...

My first pair of skates was a pair of CCM 1052s in 2001. I replaced them with Pro Tacks 2 years later because I outgrew them. I replaced my Pro Tacks with U+06s a couple months ago because my foot shape changed and the Pro Tacks were hurting my instep. The Pro Tacks are still in fantastic shape structurally (some superficial cuts and scuffs on the boot and I had to replace the holders) and I'm probably going to sell them on MSH or eBay soon.

I would replace them when they are uncomfortable to skate in or you notice a degradation in performance. Excessive boot flex, new pressure points, structural damage that can't be repaired, etc.
I meant without having to get a different kind of insole. The more money saved, the better.

Old
05-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post

lol sorry.

Old
05-03-2012, 03:44 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
I meant without having to get a different kind of insole. The more money saved, the better.
But like I said, almost all stock insoles are terrible.

Old
05-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

Quote:
But like I said, almost all stock insoles are terrible.
interesting, so even the s17 would be?

Old
05-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

nvm wrong thread

Old
05-05-2012, 09:39 PM
qmechanic

My old skates were Bauer Vapor XXV (second highest level) and I wore those for four years before switching to Bauer Supreme One70. I think the Vapors were too stiff, which is why they lasted so long. I played 1-2 times a week.

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote