HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

No MSG feed all series?

Old
05-04-2012, 02:04 PM
NCRanger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood163 View Post
You guys have gotten screwed with this NBC scheduling. First they rushed the Rangers to game 1 for the Saturday start. Now this ridiculous 12:30 start tomorrow to get the game in before the Kentucky Derby.
Don't really like the 12:30 start, but I'd rather have the additional night off (tonight).

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:28 PM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

does that mean if it goes triple ot, the game would shift to nbcs to air the derby?

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:40 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I just think it's ******** that no fanbases get to listen to their own guys call such important games.

Sam is part of the Rangers experience and I have no problem with Joe, and I would've loved to hear Sam call the 3OT win. I'm sure every other fanbase feels like that.

And then not only that, but we get Doc, whom I can't stand listening to a lot of the time. I'd much rather have Kenny Albert (and, as others have said, Gary Thorne.)

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:40 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23isforDeBlois View Post
does that mean if it goes triple ot, the game would shift to nbcs to air the derby?
Wouldn't doubt it. Not a scenario worth worrying about, I'm sure they would leave the game on in the local areas (i.e., New York/Washington area NBC affiliates)

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:46 PM
NCRanger

Quote:
It's happened before. In 2007, a Buffalo - Ottawa ECF game went into multiple OTs and it was moved to Versus so NBC could show the Preakness pre-race garbage.

Old
05-04-2012, 02:48 PM
NCRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I just think it's ******** that no fanbases get to listen to their own guys call such important games.

Sam is part of the Rangers experience and I have no problem with Joe, and I would've loved to hear Sam call the 3OT win. I'm sure every other fanbase feels like that.

And then not only that, but we get Doc, whom I can't stand listening to a lot of the time. I'd much rather have Kenny Albert (and, as others have said, Gary Thorne.)
When was the last time you heard Gary Thorne call anything? That man is AWFUL! Think Rosen is bad, Thorne can't even get players' names right.

Old
05-04-2012, 03:25 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post
When was the last time you heard Gary Thorne call anything? That man is AWFUL! Think Rosen is bad, Thorne can't even get players' names right.
Doc is horrible at that too. Last game he called Hagelin as Boyle and then called him Anisimov on the same shift.

turcotte8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 04:46 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:

So what happens if Game 4 of the Rangers and Capitals series beginning at 12:30 p.m. EST tomorrow goes into multiple overtimes?

NBC has announced they will now have coverage through two overtimes on NBC, no matter what. If the game goes into a third overtime, it will switch to CNBC for the entire country, except for the New York and Washington markets, which will continue to have the game on NBC.

Source

Old
05-04-2012, 05:01 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Doc is just as bad, and besides that Thorne is twice the announcer.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:40 PM
EEDAWGZ

I want Sam an JD

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 06:20 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
...totally agree the same people complaining about Emrick being overdramatic on every shot probably haven't heard Thorne call a game in a while he makes Emrick look calm.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 06:31 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
...totally agree the same people complaining about Emrick being overdramatic on every shot probably haven't heard Thorne call a game in a while he makes Emrick look calm.
Except Thorne's voice and vocabulary aren't scratchy and obnoxious.

Old
05-06-2012, 04:54 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
I don't think he did this year, but he usually calls the frozen four, and he does a good job.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The Doc hate is easy to understand. Many people view him as a "Devil's guy" so all objectivity goes out the window right there.

Truth is, he is the best play by play guy out there, and has been for a long time.

Also, Sam is clearly losing it. As someone who has listened to him virtually my entire life, things have gotten painful since JD left. He can hardly keep up with the play anymore on television, you think he'd be able to handle radio?
Agree with both.
I never loved Emrick, but he is the best out there. I thought he did a great job in the 3 OT game.
Sam cannot see anymore. He gets too many plays wrong to appear on a National Broadcast . We all have a soft spot for him and he can do Ranger games until he dies as far as I am concerned, but you go into the game knowing he's going to make several glaring mistakes and you just live with it.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
Agree with both.
I never loved Emrick, but he is the best out there. I thought he did a great job in the 3 OT game.
Sam cannot see anymore. He gets too many plays wrong to appear on a National Broadcast . We all have a soft spot for him and he can do Ranger games until he dies as far as I am concerned, but you go into the game knowing he's going to make several glaring mistakes and you just live with it.
Yeah, I get that a lot of people grew up with Sam (including me), so they want to hear him do big Ranger games. But saying Sam should be there instead of Emrick because Doc got a name wrong is silly. EVERY announcer out there gets a name wrong on occasion...this isn't baseball!

Emrick is awesome...I know his voice reminds people of the Devils, but they're going to have to get over that. He's not even the Devils' announcer anymore, and he's the best in the business except for Jim Hughson.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:35 PM
RangerFan10

I think the problem is illustrated pretty well by the fact that pretty much every game is nationally televised on basic cable in canada despite there being no canadian teams left, yet in the States, with big markets like LA, NY and Philly still in play, barely any of these games are nationally televised on basic cable.

Tonight all of Canada (and the more northern parts of the U.S.) gets to see the Rangers as long as they have a TV set and some kind of cable. In New York, you need more than just basic to get the game in a lot of areas. Makes little sense.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:39 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I think the problem is illustrated pretty well by the fact that pretty much every game is nationally televised on basic cable in canada despite there being no canadian teams left, yet in the States, with big markets like LA, NY and Philly still in play, barely any of these games are nationally televised on basic cable.

Tonight all of Canada (and the more northern parts of the U.S.) gets to see the Rangers as long as they have a TV set and some kind of cable. In New York, you need more than just basic to get the game in a lot of areas. Makes little sense.
Depends what you consider basic cable. For the first year, every single playoff game is televised nationally in the United States, and I applaud that. NBC Sports Network is included in most basic digital packages and CNBC is included in virtually all basic cable packages.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:40 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post
Depends what you consider basic cable. For the first year, every single playoff game is televised nationally in the United States, and I applaud that. NBC Sports Network is included in most basic digital packages and CNBC is included in virtually all basic cable packages.
NBCSN isn't included in the basic iO digital package for cablevision and cablevision owns the team lol.

And I don't think one Rangers game has actually been on CNBC.

My point is you don't win over casual fans this way. I guess it's a step in the right direction, but as I already pointed out, every other major sport has their playoff games on basic cable. And by basic I mean channels 1-20ish. Not basic digital package that starts at ~$50-60.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:44 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
NBCSN isn't included in the basic iO digital package for cablevision and cablevision owns the team lol.

My point is you don't win over casual fans this way. I guess it's a step in the right direction, but as I already pointed out, every other major sport has their playoff games on basic cable. And by basic I mean channels 1-20ish. Not basic digital package that starts at ~$50-60.
Interesting. I thought someone said here that it was included in even the cheapest digital package through iO/Cablevision, but maybe it was anything but the lowest. It is a shame that the channel doesn't have more coverage.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:47 PM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Quote:

Your 100% right. NHL's worse decision was going with versus'.

I believe ESPN wanted them back. But they went with the money. Hockey has became bigger and bigger, but if it was on ESPN i think it would become much bigger.

BigDaddyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:48 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Interesting. I thought someone said here that it was included in even the cheapest digital package through iO/Cablevision, but maybe it was anything but the lowest. It is a shame that the channel doesn't have more coverage.
$65 a month doesn't include it,next step up is $75 a month which does...not everyone can afford the $10/mo. upcharge for one channel. This isn't HBO we're talking about either.

Makes no sense that it doesn't come with channels like MSG, MSG+, ESPN,ESPN2.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:50 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyNYR View Post
Your 100% right. NHL's worse decision was going with versus'.

I believe ESPN wanted them back. But they went with the money. Hockey has became bigger and bigger, but if it was on ESPN i think it would become much bigger.
With ESPN I'd be willing to bet a lot of games would be pushed to alternate channels/ESPN3 online only. Hockey is not that popular than the other sports ESPN shows.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
With ESPN I'd be willing to bet a lot of games would be pushed to alternate channels/ESPN3 online only. Hockey is not that popular than the other sports ESPN shows.
Disagree. With ESPN a LOT of games would not even be shown. With the NBC networks EVERY game has been on TV this year. How could anyone possibly argue we would be better off with ESPN?

Old
05-07-2012, 01:57 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Disagree. With ESPN a LOT of games would not even be shown. With the NBC networks EVERY game has been on TV this year. How could anyone possibly argue we would be better off with ESPN?
That's what I'm saying. We're better off with NBC and get more extensive TV coverage, ESPN does not care about hockey, and they have the broadcasting rights to many other more popular sports that would take precedence over the NHL.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
That's what I'm saying. We're better off with NBC and get more extensive TV coverage, ESPN does not care about hockey, and they have the broadcasting rights to many other more popular sports that would take precedence over the NHL.
Absolutely. Not only that, we are getting extensive pre- and post-game shows on NBCS as well. ESPN would dive right back into NBA news as soon as the final whistle sounds.

There is no comparison.