HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Marlies Thread Part IX: Stuart Percy Impresses All.

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2012, 05:17 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 114
No good news yet on Nicholls. Spoke to him this afternoon. He says things aren't looking good right now in regards to getting signed, but he will get things ironed out further while his agent is in Toronto at the combine next week.

Better cross your fingers, is the feeling I'm getting on this.

Old
05-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Beleafer4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Last summer/fall, ForSpareParts (Formally Agreement) was leading the crusade in the "Kadri vs. Frattin" thread bashing Kadri and trying to make them seem mutually exclusive. Now he's moved on to Deschamps, pimping him beyond belief and trying to put down Kadri once again, just hoping for him to fail.

FYI, I like Deschamps, and have been keeping an eye on him since he came over in the Caputi trade. And I was very impressed by him live when I saw him on monday. I see what you're saying about him, but I don't understand why liking one prospect means you have to put down the other. Kadri and Deschamps play different roles for the Marlies, and would play different roles for the Leafs in the future. Just like Kadri and Frattin in last year's debate. They're NOT mutually exclusive. I for one would like to see all of our prospects succeed and graduate to the big club, and not call for the rest to be traded once one starts doing well.
That explains a lot.

:/

Old
05-25-2012, 06:36 AM
SprDaVE

Why are people down on Nicholls not getting signed? This reminds me of the Joel Champagne or Tyler Ruegsegger situation.

Good Junior player but likely not much upside at all due to skating and being just a mediocre player overall.

Seems like a nice kid but obviously the Leafs don't feel that his upside is much more than that.

Perhaps they'll bring him in with an AHL contract this summer if they think they need depth at that level.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:02 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Much more worried about getting Olden signed.

Still has a lot of upside. Has to add bulk. All the tools are there.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:05 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Much more worried about getting Olden signed.

Still has a lot of upside. Has to add bulk. All the tools are there.
Make that two of us. We moved up to get him, and picked him with a third rounder. Not signing him would just be stupid IMO.

05-25-2012, 07:12 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

He played well in the rookie tournament, and scored a goal in pre-season as well, I believe.

He needs to fill out. He's a good skater for a lanky kid, and his shot is really accurate, just needs to be harder.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:20 AM
SprDaVE

I think they were underwhelmed with Olden's performance this year, even if he was on the worst team of the CHL (or one of).

I'd sign him just to keep his rights but he certainly didn't really 'deserve' the contract for the times I've seen him play.

He's always been a long-term project, even Morrisson said this on draft day. So hopefully they keep his rights and loan him to Europe for a couple years.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:21 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
He played well in the rookie tournament, and scored a goal in pre-season as well, I believe.

He needs to fill out. He's a good skater for a lanky kid, and his shot is really accurate, just needs to be harder.
Agreed, I am a little puzzled about his situation. Like him a lot. Wonder if he has some weird contract rule as he was drafted out of Europe, played In jr, now looks like he will play in Europe again. Cuz I doubt Erie will use overage and export spot on him.

Old
05-25-2012, 08:24 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

He SHOULD play in the SEL next year. I hope to see him get an ELC, and go play on loan there, while he bulks up, and refines his skill-set

Old
05-25-2012, 08:34 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

I don't think the Maple Leafs moved up to select Olden, I believe they just moved a pick in the following draft to land LA's selection in the 3rd round.. could be wrong though.

Either way, what they did at the draft two seasons ago to land a player in the 3rd round means little IMO. Sure, they liked him then, but they have probably kept close tabs on him since. Perhaps it's more than just 'on-ice' production? His development in general hasn't been great since he was picked.

05-25-2012, 08:48 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

I don't see Nichols signing. He needs to keep progressing which hasnt really happen this year. We have plenty of soft skilled forwards in this organization, its time to make room for some grit.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:05 AM
GermanLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Make that two of us. We moved up to get him, and picked him with a third rounder. Not signing him would just be stupid IMO.
I agree, he has all the tools to be a Top six forward and just needs to put it together.

Old
05-25-2012, 10:11 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
I don't see Nichols signing. He needs to keep progressing which hasnt really happen this year. We have plenty of soft skilled forwards in this organization, its time to make room for some grit.
Devane, Broll, Ross, D'Amigo, Biggs, Carrick.....

Nicholls might be after more money than the Leafs want to pay since he is an overachiever for a 7th round pick, statistically anyway.

Old
05-25-2012, 10:30 AM
daethfromabove1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Nicholls might be after more money than the Leafs want to pay since he is an overachiever for a 7th round pick, statistically anyway.
if he's holding out for more money then i won't feel bad if we don't sign him, take what you can get or enjoy your echl career

Old
05-25-2012, 03:36 PM
The Mauve Avenger

If the Leafs let Nicholls or Olden go because of a contract limit, all while having a dud in David Broll signed to an ELC, I'm going to be disappointed.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:40 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mauve Avenger View Post
If the Leafs let Nicholls or Olden go because of a contract limit, all while having a dud in David Broll signed to an ELC, I'm going to be disappointed.
I like Broll more than Nicholls and Olden.

And Broll doesn't count on the 50 contracts limit because he'll play in the OHL next year.

Last edited by QMJHLfollower: 05-26-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old
05-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I like olden...I hope we don't give up on him.

05-25-2012, 05:24 PM
VanW27

Quote:
He SHOULD play in the SEL next year. I hope to see him get an ELC, and go play on loan there, while he bulks up, and refines his skill-set
With the new rules requiring Euro drafted players be signed within 2 years, young, very raw, long-term prospects like Olden will need to show rapid improvement to get a contract.

Not only does he need a contract within 2 years but in order for him to get the development time he needs he will likely need to burn at least 2 if not all 3 years of his ELC in Europe.

Hard to imagine the Leafs giving him a contract just to keep his rights while he plays in Europe.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Est1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower View Post
I like Boll more than Nicholls and Olden.

And Boll doesn't count on the 50 contracts limit because he'll play in the OHL next year.
Broll*

Old
05-26-2012, 09:07 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I like olden...I hope we don't give up on him.

i like him too, their has to be a reason why his highest potenial is first line centre. but everything has to go well. he is a project anyways

Old
05-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
i like him too, their has to be a reason why his highest potenial is first line centre. but everything has to go well. he is a project anyways
Sondre Olden will not be a first-line center. He wasn't even a first-line center in the OHL this year.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:17 AM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingInReverse View Post
Broll*
Don't know why I wrote Boll ahah.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Anybody think that Frattin has 30-goal potential? Kid's really got a hell of a shot, and he seems to be getting quicker. I expect a 20ish goal season from him next year, with the Leafs utilizing him on the PP. Last year he just seemed too timid, but he's putting it all together in these playoffs. So pumped to see what he can bring next year.

Old
05-26-2012, 01:39 PM
johnnyutah

I see frattin being a better offensive player than Clarkson who just notched 30 goals

Old
05-26-2012, 01:39 PM
johnnyutah

are we still planning on signing komarov? I thought that was supposed to happen right after the world champs

Closed Thread