HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How would you grade the Sharks' 2016 draft?

View Poll Results: How would you grade the Sharks' 2016 draft?
A 3 6.67%
B 12 26.67%
C 9 20.00%
D 0 0%
Don't know enough about who we drafted 21 46.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-25-2016, 08:30 PM
Squeeven

vCash: 500
How would you grade the Sharks' 2016 draft?

Well I'm not gonna lie I don't know anything about any of the guys we drafted so I'd like to know how the rest of you think we did in this years draft. Sucks we didn't have a 1st but I think most of us can agree that giving it up for Jones was well worth it. Is anyone disappointed that we didn't trade up or what? I would like to know why we couldn't get a deal done to trade Reimer's rights for at least a pick or something seeing as how we won't be re-signing him so I'm disappointed we couldn't do something there. Either way lets hear how everyone thinks we did.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 08:37 PM
themelkman
Allways Delivers

vCash: 50
From the research I have done the 2nd (a bit of a reach but a good player) 4th,5th and 7th rounds look to be pretty decent.

themelkman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 08:46 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
Well I'm not gonna lie I don't know anything about any of the guys we drafted so I'd like to know how the rest of you think we did in this years draft. Sucks we didn't have a 1st but I think most of us can agree that giving it up for Jones was well worth it. Is anyone disappointed that we didn't trade up or what? I would like to know why we couldn't get a deal done to trade Reimer's rights for at least a pick or something seeing as how we won't be re-signing him so I'm disappointed we couldn't do something there. Either way lets hear how everyone thinks we did.
trading reimer's rights takes a team that needs a starting goalie, and there are litterally 0 teams that are in that desperate of a position for a goalie, that they would be willing to throw away assets for 1.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 08:49 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Pondering adding a "it's too early to handicap a draft when you're less than 10 hours from its conclusion and the players have a grand total of 0 professional games under their belt at this point, making this a very silly and irrelevant exercise." and voting for that.

Though I think I might be over the character limit for a poll option.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows..."
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 08:50 PM
Squeeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
trading reimer's rights takes a team that needs a starting goalie, and there are litterally 0 teams that are in that desperate of a position for a goalie, that they would be willing to throw away assets for 1.
Yeah that's true. I kinda wonder why nothing happened with the Flames and why they decided to go with Elliott instead. I wonder if the Sharks' asking price was too high or they just thought Reimer would be asking for too much $$$ on July 1st.

Old
06-25-2016, 08:52 PM
Squeeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Pondering adding a "it's too early to handicap a draft when you're less than 10 hours from its conclusion and the players have a grand total of 0 professional games under their belt at this point, making this a very silly and irrelevant exercise." and voting for that.

lol yeah I know its a bit silly because obviously none of them have played in the NHL yet but I just wanted to know what everyone thought of who we picked based on how they've done in the minors so far.

Old
06-25-2016, 08:53 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
Yeah that's true. I kinda wonder why nothing happened with the Flames and why they decided to go with Elliott instead. I wonder if the Sharks' asking price was too high or they just thought Reimer would be asking for too much $$$ on July 1st.
elliott makes 2.5 million for this season and then becomes a ufa next season. with elliott it gives the team an out if he doesn't pan out for the team. which is pretty much a guarantee because it is not goaltending that is the issue with calgary.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 08:57 PM
Squeeven

Quote:
elliott makes 2.5 million for this season and then becomes a ufa next season. with elliott it gives the team an out if he doesn't pan out for the team. which is pretty much a guarantee because it is not goaltending that is the issue with calgary.
Yeah that definitely must have been a deciding factor for the Flames. I think Reimer will end up having a better career personally (nothing against Elliott though) but yeah that is definitely a nice...option I guess you can say, for the Flames. 2.5 million for Elliott is definitely a steal. I think Reimer is probably gonna ask for around $5M but we'll see.

Old
06-25-2016, 08:59 PM
Squeeven

Quote:
Have you or has anyone else heard what the Sharks' asking price for Reimer was? I'm definitely curious to know that because I was really hoping we'd move him for a pick but like you said I guess not many teams are in the market for a #1 goalie right now.

Old
06-25-2016, 09:13 PM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

Grade: TBD

And obviously no team is in a rush for Reimer. You can't force a trade that isn't there.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2016, 03:35 AM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post

Come on, Nem. You know that draft grades and "winners and losers" are the best parts about a draft.

06-26-2016, 08:30 AM
sr228

Based on what I've seen of the players in this draft and their play to date, I'd give the Sharks a C.

Considering they've been stockpiling young players / prospects over the past couple of years I thought they should go for the most upside even if it came with risk with their lone pick in the top 100 and they didn't, they instead went with a double overager 'safer' pick.

I did like their 4th & 7th round picks though.

sr228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2016, 09:35 AM
Kcoyote3

Gregor has some solid highlights, and is one of the young players we drafted, not an overager. I'm excited to see him playing in juniors next year and see his progress. Cautiously optimistic about this pick.

Gambrell will likely become a Goodrow type 12th/13th spare part.

People don't like Wiederer because he's old.

Shoemaker has a sick name.

Kcoyote3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2016, 02:14 PM
do0glas

Because of the Gregor pick and not having our first I say C+

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2016, 02:18 PM
Pinkfloyd

It's totally an F. It's only been like a day but they're all busts at this point.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2016, 02:59 PM
CupfortheSharks

I voted A. Our 1st round pick is already a solid starting NHL goaltender on a good contract. Anything else we get out of this draft is just gravy.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2016, 04:58 PM
HaleyDestroyedNurse
Wommy Tingels

vCash: 247
B at first look, but it's too early to tell.

HaleyDestroyedNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2016, 05:42 PM
Bizz
120% Banter

None of them have scored in the NHL yet.

F-

Bizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2016, 07:13 PM
alex716

Entertainment wise it was crap. Too much tire kicking by Doug Wilson, although he didn't really have that many cards on his hands, so it's understandable. But it's too early to tell how good the draft was. I think the quality of players dropped off significantly in the 20's, and all of the big ones was gone by 29. Losing the 29th pick was not a huge loss.
Trent Frederic for Martin Jones. I'll take it.

alex716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2016, 08:50 PM
Bowie22
Bah gawd almighty!

F.

Martin Jones is a 3 goal goalie.

Bowie22 is offline   Reply With Quote