HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sens owner: "NHLPA offer is not good enough"

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Albi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Albi
Sens owner: "NHLPA offer is not good enough"

F Bad news

Old
12-13-2004, 10:56 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
This is something totally expected, and he has some valid points.

There are going to be a few more proposals exchanged. You never accept someone's first offer.

Old
12-13-2004, 05:10 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

this is exactly what i have been saying. unless these guys want to just do a 24% rollback every 5 years, this proposal wasn't worth the paper it's written on. basically they have done nothing but postpone this strike another 5 years. what's so good about that?

fix the damn problem and deal with the issues. the players already konw the system does not work, so attack the cause, not the symptoms. if i were the owners, i'd accept a $.50 luxury tax to the dollar at $40 mil with $.50 added to the tax for every $10 mil they go over that. coupled with team/player arbitration rights, i think the league will be in pretty damn good shape. so what the helli s the holdup?

i can't even believe we're spending so much time doing this crap when we can be dealing with issues about the game. that, imo, is far more important then this CBA ever will be.

Old
12-13-2004, 06:44 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
if i were the owners, i'd accept a $.50 luxury tax to the dollar at $40 mil with $.50 added to the tax for every $10 mil they go over that.
I don't think that even comes close to putting a drag on some of the more free-spending teams in the league. Dollar-for-dollar above $40M, and maybe $2 for every dollar over $50M.
Here's a thought I also had, and I don't know if it's been considered: The 2nd year you're over the luxury tax threshold, you lose the right to pick in the 1st round of the draft. You don't get a pick, you can't trade for a pick, etc. No 1st round for you, period. The 3rd year you're over, you lose the 1st and 2nd round....and so on until you're back under the luxury tax threshold. Does this seem like realistic incentive to stay below a certain threshold?

Old
12-13-2004, 06:53 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

well, truth be told, i'm against caps. i think it's stupid to limit teams from spending and as someone mentioned earlier, if the problem with the current system is that the lower range teams can't keep their players, i think the problem with the cap system is that the higher range teams can't keep THEIR players. no team should be guaranteed a profit, it just doesn't make sense economically. i think luxury taxes are a great inhibitor from free range spending, giving freedom to do so while punishment for those who do. this idea is not too different from import/exporting items, it's jsut all about finding the right level of taxation.

but again, the player's proposal is crap. i would have been furious had i been a GM or owner in this strike

Old
12-13-2004, 07:39 PM
Mxpunk

Not that it'l surprise anyone, but a "leaked memo" says the NHL is rejecting the offer...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...699393-cp.html

Closed Thread