HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Ownership Cluster**** Thread: The Coyote Chases Its Tail

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2012, 08:37 AM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
Ownership Cluster**** Thread: The Coyote Chases Its Tail

Continue.

Old
03-29-2012, 08:52 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Is this #6 for thread counts on this subject?

Old
03-29-2012, 08:55 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

"yawn" Are we there yet?

Old
03-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Muppet
Pass it to Vrbata!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
"yawn" Are we there yet?
Two more weeks.

Old
03-29-2012, 09:47 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
Two more weeks.
I give it 50/50 chance

Old
03-29-2012, 10:24 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Nobody anywhere near this mess has used the old two weeks or fifty, fifty line in a very long time. You guys might as well tell a Chuck Norris joke or Rick Roll somebody.

03-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Stump

I see "BK" used a lot here and in the Business of Hockey section as it relates to bankruptcy. Can someone tell me what BK stands for?

Old
03-29-2012, 10:40 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump View Post
I see "BK" used a lot here and in the Business of Hockey section as it relates to bankruptcy. Can someone tell me what BK stands for?
BK is shorthand for bankruptcy.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:00 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Nobody anywhere near this mess has used the old two weeks or fifty, fifty line in a very long time. You guys might as well tell a Chuck Norris joke or Rick Roll somebody.
I see it once in awhile in the BOH. What's a Rick roll?

Old
03-29-2012, 11:04 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

So if Scruggs and Beasley are both out anyway, any chance the COG throws out a last ditch 25m in hopes the new crew can get something resolved in the next year? They've really got nothing left to lose. If the team leaves next month, they will forever be remembered for this fiasco. If they put up Tue dough and the team stays, all will be forgotten. If they put up the dough and the team is gone in thirteen months, it won't damage their reputations any worse than they've already been damaged.

Just a thought.

Also, I'm not sure another 25m and another 12mos is actually best for the city, the team, or the fans. If there were a white knight on his way, surely he'd have come over the horizon by now, and would be in view, even if far off in the distance. It's been three years.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:05 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
I didnt mean on the internet. I meant people actually involved in the process and the media. We haven't been told by officials that a were two weeks from news in probably six months.

Also, somebody please Rick Roll this gentleman.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Colt45Blast
Torres FTW

Quote:
So if Scruggs and Beasley are both out anyway, any chance the COG throws out a last ditch 25m in hopes the new crew can get something resolved in the next year? They've really got nothing left to lose. If the team leaves next month, they will forever be remembered for this fiasco. If they put up Tue dough and the team stays, all will be forgotten. If they put up the dough and the team is gone in thirteen months, it won't damage their reputations any worse than they've already been damaged.

Just a thought.

Also, I'm not sure another 25m and another 12mos is actually best for the city, the team, or the fans. If there were a white knight on his way, surely he'd have come over the horizon by now, and would be in view, even if far off in the distance. It's been three years.
Or maybe before these people leave they find a way behind close doors to give a secret deal to the league and a new owner that keeps the team here.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:10 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:

Just a thought.

Disagree. As you mentioned, a whole new crew could be working on this next year, which could change a lot. Moreover, there'll be a new CBA, which could also make the market much more attractive. Either or both could end up making things worse, too, but there's still a chance conditions improve for a potential buyer.

Quote:
I didnt mean on the internet. I meant people actually involved in the process and the media. We haven't been told by officials that a were two weeks from news in probably six months.

Disagree here, too. Scruggs can be heard using both lines in this video, which was posted this week.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:19 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

RT, Not with a contentions primary and general for the open Mayoral seat, All of the non incumbents running for council will run as far right politically as you can get and that includes a hard line stance of no further bail out for the Coyotes. Of which could be interesting, the the Chamber of Comerice folks generally support the Coyotes Bail Outs ie the CEO's of local Glendale Biz always coming to council meetings to speak in favor of keeping the team. I will be curious how a Jerry Weiers can tote the anti Coyotes Bail Out line and garner the support [donations] from the business community.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:21 AM
doaner

Quote:

Haha. Just googled it. Never give me up!

Old
03-29-2012, 12:03 PM
XX
... Waiting

If you read the Glendale meeting minutes as well as between the lines with Daly and Bettman, it's pretty clear where this is headed. The parallels with Atlanta are fairly obvious. Except that we have the lovely advantage of special interest groups (like GWI) and a city council to go through. Three years without new ownership. It is what it is.

Glendale can't even come up with the money for this year much less next and sitting council members are now starting to turn. New CBA or not, the league's hand will be forced this summer. You can argue the merits of Phoenix vs QC all you want, but at this point the NHL doesn't have many options. They snuffed out Atlanta in the middle of the night and I expect the same in this case.

The most telling evidence in all of this is the speed at which the new QC arena got approved and the aggressive timetable for its construction. If you are of the belief that the NHL cares deeply about cities and facilities, well, you have to admit there must be an assurance there from the league regarding a potential team. We're first on the list.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. But I don't want to be right.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Colt45Blast
Torres FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
If you read the Glendale meeting minutes as well as between the lines with Daly and Bettman, it's pretty clear where this is headed. The parallels with Atlanta are fairly obvious. Except that we have the lovely advantage of special interest groups (like GWI) and a city council to go through. Three years without new ownership. It is what it is.

Glendale can't even come up with the money for this year much less next and sitting council members are now starting to turn. New CBA or not, the league's hand will be forced this summer. You can argue the merits of Phoenix vs QC all you want, but at this point the NHL doesn't have many options. They snuffed out Atlanta in the middle of the night and I expect the same in this case.

The most telling evidence in all of this is the speed at which the new QC arena got approved and the aggressive timetable for its construction. If you are of the belief that the NHL cares deeply about cities and facilities, well, you have to admit there must be an assurance there from the league regarding a potential team. We're first on the list.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. But I don't want to be right.
You also forgot the "lovely advantage" of how incompetent buth Gary Bettman and the NHL have been since they took the keys from Jerry Moyes.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:17 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
You also forgot the "lovely advantage" of how incompetent buth Gary Bettman and the NHL have been since they took the keys from Jerry Moyes.
Because that isn't true. The league has done an excellent job of letting the Coyotes maintain operations. If the Coyotes make it to the playoffs this year they will have had more success with no owner than with. Most teams that are owned by any league in major sports nosedive straight into the ground. Not so here. They've also footed the bill for 3 years without complaint beyond the 25 mil. Stopped a hostile takeover. You know, small stuff.

I love how your statement contradicts itself. Taking the keys from Moyes and winning in the BK court was a masterstroke. It's just too bad no one wants to own a team in Phoenix.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Rebranded Fan
naurutger's hero

vCash: 1329
Anthony LeBlanc
Quote:
@IceEdgeLeBlanc We have discussed a Plan B with G'dale. No further plans to discuss unless necessary. Our priority is for the Coyotes to remain in Glendale.
Not sure how to read it but some seem to think its about a minor league team. Which makes no sense because the only way a minor league team could survive is if they are put at US Airways Center. IMHO a minor league team would result in net losses and would fold after a year if in Glendale.

Although the Arizona Sting averaged around 8,500 and the Roadrunners averaged around 3,700 so expecting a rise in attendance for a minor league team in Glendale over its time in Phoenix could occur (expected a number between the two even though it was for a different sport). I personally wouldn't go all the way out there for some scrubs but if it keeps the area afloat then that is cool. I still go to the Fiesta Bowl every year after all.

Last edited by Rebranded Fan: 03-29-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old
03-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Rebranded Fan
naurutger's hero

Quote:
If the team were to leave, Glendale would be left with about $262 million in debt on the city-owned Jobing.com Arena. That figure includes about $100 million in interest on the bond debt.

Glendale has not ruled out the possibility of selling the arena to a potential Coyotes buyer. Jamison’s group, and perhaps others interested in the team, would like to buy the arena and Westgate City Center too.

To get out from under its arena debt, Glendale would need to sell the facility for at least $152 million, which is its principal on the arena loan, Glendale spokeswoman Jen Stein said.

She said city staffers would “consider and review any proposals.”

A deal with Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer that has long since crumbled included an option to buy the arena for no more than $130 million after 5 years.
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blo...insider/158447

Old
03-29-2012, 02:02 PM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
BK is shorthand for bankruptcy.
Yeah, you'd think it would be 'BR'... BK to me is the Home of the Whopper

Old
03-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Sushi

Old
03-29-2012, 02:34 PM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Sushi
...potential marketing bonanza...

Old
03-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Rebranded Fan
naurutger's hero

LOL, because you can never have too many people trying to steal your cookies:

Lisa Halverstadt
Quote:
@LisaHalverstadt Something to note from my last post: #Coyotes president Mike Nealy now says there are more than three groups interested in the team.
So perhaps the Ice Edge fella wasn't talking about a minor league team in his last tweet. The Coyotes ride was so much fun, he decided to ride it again.

Old
03-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
LOL, because you can never have too many people trying to steal your cookies:

Lisa Halverstadt

So perhaps the Ice Edge fella wasn't talking about a minor league team in his last tweet. The Coyotes ride was so much fun, he decided to ride it again.

I agree with your avatar

Closed Thread