HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Here We Go...Again

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-08-2012, 10:40 AM
  #526
Oates2Neely
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BeanTown
Country: Azores
Posts: 6,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Once you factor in defense, minutes, and linemates, I believe them both to be adequate first line centers. The setup we have at center works. They've lost what, 1 playoff series with them as the top 2 centers and healthy? And even that was the closest 7 game series the NHL will ever see.

In my mind, we need one more legitimate top 6 winger, and we have the prospects, picks, and cap space to bring that player in. The team was filthy with Horton as that guy, but we can't count on him, so we just need another Horton level wing.
St. Louis seems to be losing faith in Chris Stewart,, 230lb winger w/ scoring touch, who just had a down year on a new team. Low-risk, high-reward type Chia move? Worse case scenario he ends up playing wing w/ Kelly & Peverly if Horton regains form.

Cherry picking teams struggling wingers seems the way to go imo,, especially guys who can play a physical brand of hockey (Stewart, Kulemin, etc..), guys who had less than stellar seasons stats-wise and MAYBE can be had for below market value?

Or are the B's better off rolling dice on Ryan Smyth, Ray Whitney, Dustin Penners of the world?

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:20 AM
  #527
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback
 
BrainOfJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: State St.
Country: United States
Posts: 12,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
St. Louis seems to be losing faith in Chris Stewart,, 230lb winger w/ scoring touch, who just had a down year on a new team. Low-risk, high-reward type Chia move? Worse case scenario he ends up playing wing w/ Kelly & Peverly if Horton regains form.

Cherry picking teams struggling wingers seems the way to go imo,, especially guys who can play a physical brand of hockey (Stewart, Kulemin, etc..), guys who had less than stellar seasons stats-wise and MAYBE can be had for below market value?

Or are the B's better off rolling dice on Ryan Smyth, Ray Whitney, Dustin Penners of the world?
You know, I was actually thinking about Chris Stewart last night. I'd welcome him here with open arms.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:33 PM
  #528
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
You know, I was actually thinking about Chris Stewart last night. I'd welcome him here with open arms.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.


Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:40 PM
  #529
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
I could go for Stewart. I could go for Whitney. Both would be solid pickups, and we probably have the resources to do one, the other, or both.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:45 PM
  #530
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
*rechecks Stuart's #'s*

Waaaaaait a second. Hold the phone here. I thought this guy was more productive than that. His last good year was what, 3 years ago? Since then his stats sheet looks worse than Pouliot's and Benoit isn't exactly a guy whose talent shines through the numbers.

Why exactly is this guy OK at 3.25M and Benoit Pouliot couldn't move to right wing and produce at about the same level for less than half that? Are we really so enamored of what the guy did one year that we're going to take that outlier and presume that's the real guy?

Your median scenario right now looks like a meaner version of Pouliot -- big, tough, third liner. If the money were the same I could see the upgrade, but if you'd take Caron over Pouliot, I think you have to take Caron over this guy too. That outlier year looks like exactly that. Not something you can count on Stewart to repeat.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:47 PM
  #531
MTaylorJ1
Registered User
 
MTaylorJ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
*rechecks Stuart's #'s*

Waaaaaait a second. Hold the phone here. I thought this guy was more productive than that. His last good year was what, 3 years ago? Since then his stats sheet looks worse than Pouliot's and Benoit isn't exactly a guy whose talent shines through the numbers.

Why exactly is this guy OK at 3.25M and Benoit Pouliot couldn't move to right wing and produce at about the same level for less than half that? Are we really so enamored of what the guy did one year that we're going to take that outlier and presume that's the real guy?

Your median scenario right now looks like a meaner version of Pouliot -- big, tough, third liner. If the money were the same I could see the upgrade, but if you'd take Caron over Pouliot, I think you have to take Caron over this guy too. That outlier year looks like exactly that. Not something you can count on Stewart to repeat.
Should probably check your numbers again or the definition of outlier.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:50 PM
  #532
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
It's a pretty textbook outlier. By points, his seasons have gone 19 (partial year), 64, 30, 23, 30.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:51 PM
  #533
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
D'oh. Partial year messed me up. Sorry folks.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 04:23 PM
  #534
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback
 
BrainOfJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: State St.
Country: United States
Posts: 12,641
vCash: 500
Stewart was also in Hitchcock's doghouse all year...so he probably woulndt be hard to acquire

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.