Jeremy Jacobs: Cup is on Loan

Old
05-04-2012, 08:37 AM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Jeremy Jacobs: Cup is on Loan

http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/...-cup-loan-them

He is a riot. Expects the Cup back in Boston shortly... I like that.

"We've got to tell the Stanley Cup winner this year that the Cup's on loan to them," Jacobs said. "It's going to come back home here in the near term.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Love hearing that from him.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:45 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Amazing how winning a Cup can change your perspective eh Jeremy?

BMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

He's had a taste of it now. Got an idea what it means. We might be surprised by our owners in the near future.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Scotto74
Back in Blue!

I have been saying since the Cap went into place that JJ is no longer an excuse. I question if he was ever the problem because he seems to have no issue spending up to the Cap and eating some bad Chia moves with Coachs and Players.

My opinion is it was Sindin all along as JJ is not a hockey guy he did what Harry wanted to do.

He is also talking about spending his money to get better practice arena/equipment for the guys.

I like what i am hearing.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
I have been saying since the Cap went into place that JJ is no longer an excuse. I question if he was ever the problem because he seems to have no issue spending up to the Cap and eating some bad Chia moves with Coachs and Players.

My opinion is it was Sindin all along as JJ is not a hockey guy he did what Harry wanted to do.

He is also talking about spending his money to get better practice arena/equipment for the guys.

Well to be fair, the Bruins practice facility is pretty bad. I have seen middle schools with better facilities.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Guess he wants another big trophy.

Nice to hear.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:13 AM
BamBamCam*

Quote:

If you look at the history, you bet your butt it was his fault. Things changed only recently after he watched team after team in Boston win. This is a recent change, not one that describes the 25 years before that. Don't blame Sinden even though he played apart in it. Jacobs is the owner and the blame starts there when it comes to what a GM can spend. He is making more money now, he is finding, spending some money is making him more money, he is not stupid.

He is also not know for his charitable giving which he barely contributes anything to the Boston area.

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Spooner st

Quote:

JJ run's an empire... do you really think he just does what people want him to?

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

No kidding $$$

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:18 AM
BruinFanSam

Wow...

This is EXACTLY the types of things they need to say....Regarless if they had it all along - it goes a long way to let fans know your committed both financially and emotionally to the team winning

BruinFanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
If you look at the history, you bet your butt it was his fault. Things changed only recently after he watched team after team in Boston win. This is a recent change, not one that describes the 25 years before that. Don't blame Sinden even though he played apart in it. Jacobs is the owner and the blame starts there when it comes to what a GM can spend. He is making more money now, he is finding, spending some money is making him more money, he is not stupid.

He is also not know for his charitable giving which he barely contributes anything to the Boston area.
Really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Jacobs
Quote:
An active philanthropist, Jacobs gives millions of dollars to national and community based charities each year.[citation needed] Jacobs' work with the United Way has not only benefited the communities where the company operates, it has also earned him the designation as part of the Million-Dollar Roundtable of donors. Jacobs is also a member of the Jeremiah Milbank Society, recognizing him for his strong support the Boys and Girls Clubs of America.[12]
Who cares if he doesn't give it specifically to Boston when he gives millions on a National level?

I love the Jabos' stance on this, they weren't placated with one cup win.

Last edited by Kaoz*: 05-04-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

We'll see if the rubber meets the road at any point, but it certainly was very nice to hear him be clued in enough to say it.

I get the impression that JJ has finally figured out what Theo knew while he was here -- that winning is profitable enough to justify an aggressive spending policy -- if you win enough.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Scotto74
Back in Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post

I have looked at the history and what I see is same owner now as then. What changed - Sinden. So your telling me that JJ was not on board with Harry spending money but for Chia he opened the check book and changed is way of thinking.

Sorry I don't buy it but I know I am in the minority.

Also I don't give a crap he does not give to charity here. He give's to charity elsewhere. And what does one have to do with the other?

Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:49 AM
McKuato

Not with that PP it's not

McKuato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:56 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:

I agree 100%. Jacobs was more than willing to take a back seat to Sinden, and Sinden's last few years simply proved that the game had passed him by. I love how people spew stuff like "he just wants to make money" as the reason why Jacobs owns the team...um, yeah, he's the owner.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Wilhelm Scream

Saw this quote on ESPN. Love the confidence.

Wilhelm Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Kiss My Rask
Enforce Boston

he just wants the Cup back so he cant hike up ticket prices more

Kiss My Rask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:42 AM
whatsbruin

Quote:
My opinion is it was Sinden all along as JJ is not a hockey guy he did what Harry wanted to do.
I agree with this, and there were two reasons for it:
  • He was cheap with some of the players, which caused a bad rap for Boston as a place to play, but I think more importantly was his
    confrontational style of contract negotiating.
  • He gave money to the wrong players. This was his biggest fault.

Before the cap, it has been shown that Jacobs has always been in the top 1/3 of payroll. I don't think you can complain about Jacobs in regard to total payroll. He was willing to spend. They just spent poorly.

The problem was the evaluation of talent, and the fact that Sinden
pissed enough players off that players didn't want to come here.

Some may say Sinden let good players go, but if you look at some of the bigger names he let go Allison, Carter, Khristich they never performed up to their new contracts.

I think you can say Jacobs stuck with Sinden too long, and the
times had passed him by.

whatsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:12 AM
BklyNBruiN
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post

"We've got to tell the Stanley Cup winner this year that the Cup's on loan to them," Jacobs said. "It's going to come back home here in the near term.
That is awesome.. For the owner to say that, Its awesome. This guy knows that winning, and winning championships will only make him more bread. Peter and Cam will spend his money wisely. Go Bruins!

BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:13 AM
BruinsBtn

The guy drinks from the Cup and he's a changed man!

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:17 AM
seemlessglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post

Talk is cheap. Let's see some action this summer because they obviously sat on their ***** last summer and didn't improve the team. Oh, he's a barrel of laughs isn't he. Almost 40 years of putting up with his **** isn't forgotten by one magical run. Back it up with action and then I'll be convinced we've seen a man that has turned over a new leaf (no pun intended).

seemlessglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:26 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemlessglass View Post
Talk is cheap. Let's see some action this summer because they obviously sat on their ***** last summer and didn't improve the team. Oh, he's a barrel of laughs isn't he. Almost 40 years of putting up with his **** isn't forgotten by one magical run. Back it up with action and then I'll be convinced we've seen a man that has turned over a new leaf (no pun intended).
With what? He's the owner. Do you think Jeremy Jacobs goes out and negotiates contracts with players? Handles the draft?

Other than opening his checkbook, I don't know how Jeremy Jacobs can be criticized for how the roster gets built. Comments like this are just baffling to me.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:27 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Love the fact we have this thread and a "Here we go again..." thread on the first page

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 100
Nice to hear.

I like the cup too and wouldn't mind it back in Boston.