Notices

Jeremy Jacobs: Cup is on Loan

Old
05-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Dennis Bonvie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
The majority of organizations, he would have been canned long before the 28 year mark.

Yep, he made some great moves, but it isn`t just Bruin fans who saw Harry and the Bruins for what they were, a team who cut corners, overpaid average players, humiliated solid talent with negligible offers or none at all, made ill advised trades, developed NOTHING in the prospect tank, and this organization, as Harry was passing the baton to MOC/Gorton had become absolutely irrelevant.

Fans had enough, empty seats speak volumes, Mrs. Odaat and I made frequent trips to your great city, purchased tix with absolute ease and marvelled at just how empty the TD was, it was, for lack of a better word, difficult to see.

Harry did some nice things, every GM hits a few solid triples/homers, I`ll take Chia`s consistency and committment anyday over what was, the most at peace GM when it came to merely being good enough to make post season play, and make Mr. Jacobs some cash.
You should perhaps go back and check the Bruins record when Sinden was GM. They got to the finals 5 times. That doesn't even count the closest they came to a Cup, when they lost in 7 to Montreal in the semis (too many men on the ice). In his 28 season, the Bs had twelve 100 point season. All of those came when there were ties, meaning it was a far greater accomplishment than now. Please don't make it sound like his teams were "merely good enough to make the playoffs".

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:04 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
You should perhaps go back and check the Bruins record when Sinden was GM. They got to the finals 5 times. That doesn't even count the closest they came to a Cup, when they lost in 7 to Montreal in the semis (too many men on the ice). In his 28 season, the Bs had twelve 100 point season. All of those came when there were ties, meaning it was a far greater accomplishment than now. Please don't make it sound like his teams were "merely good enough to make the playoffs".
DB, I`m 42, not 22, I`ve watched this team play a reasonably long time, and anyone and everyone here who watched many of those teams that consecutively and consistently made the playoffs yearly (with some Cup appearances) often left with the belief of "if only", with the "if only" referring to Sinden spending to aquire what was often a missing piece or two

Why is it that Sinden was is, to this day, still a haunting memory for many Bruin fans??? While the team consistently made the playoffs, there was constant and consistent issues with where/when and whom he was willing to spend the money on, no GM was/is perfect. I wish a board was breathing when Sinden was the GM, it`d be nuts, and there would be so many infractions being handed out with the inevitable trashing of him on a daily basis.

Sinden was more than happy with putting out a one line team followed with 3 other grinder lines for years, the Burridge/Heinze/Donato types, all nice players, he wouldn`t spend to put a 2nd line who could hurt ya. If I was the only one who remembered his outrageous lack of intelligent spending then I`d agree with you, but his reputation and that of the Bruins isn`t just a myth, he and they spent to a degree, but when it was time for a player to "cash in", more often than not, they were gonzo, and rarely did he have a plan in place to replace that player.

Sorry, I will give credit where it`s due, success isn`t just about making the playoffs, many hammer Chia here for the job he`s done in spite of his playoff appearances and a Cup, he`s been here what??? 5/6 years and has helped compile the talent to put up 3 100pt seasons, and you can toss in the "ties" arguements, tis not like teams usually posted 10-12 ties in a season each.

Sorry, Sinden had his moments, but his last decade to 15 years as the man in charge made me ill

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

The Cup was " on loan " for 39 long years...

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:27 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
The Cup was " on loan " for 39 long years...
But but but, Sinden led them to 12 100pts seasons so all is/was fine

Old
05-07-2012, 07:28 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
But but but, Sinden led them to 12 100pts seasons so all is/was fine
Yeah... and brought Ray into arbitration

Old
05-07-2012, 07:55 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Bourque totally overrated

Nothing like trying to cheapskate a legend

Old
05-07-2012, 08:53 AM
McKuato

Quote:
If he didn't think enough about Bourque to put a team around him, even for one year to really go for a cup, then arbitration is nothing.
Was SOOOO awesome seeing Bourque in City Hall Plaza with the cup. For those of you who think he was the traitor, your hate is misdirected.

McKuato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKuato View Post
If he didn't think enough about Bourque to put a team around him, even for one year to really go for a cup, then arbitration is nothing.
Was SOOOO awesome seeing Bourque in City Hall Plaza with the cup. For those of you who think he was the traitor, your hate is misdirected.
It's was not about Bourque it was about Jacobs being an A-Hole. That's why Jacobs should shut the **** up. Staying far, far away form the team is the best approach...

Old
05-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Number8

Quote:
DB, I`m 42, not 22, I`ve watched this team play a reasonably long time, and anyone and everyone here who watched many of those teams that consecutively and consistently made the playoffs yearly (with some Cup appearances) often left with the belief of "if only", with the "if only" referring to Sinden spending to aquire what was often a missing piece or two

Why is it that Sinden was is, to this day, still a haunting memory for many Bruin fans??? While the team consistently made the playoffs, there was constant and consistent issues with where/when and whom he was willing to spend the money on, no GM was/is perfect. I wish a board was breathing when Sinden was the GM, it`d be nuts, and there would be so many infractions being handed out with the inevitable trashing of him on a daily basis.

Sinden was more than happy with putting out a one line team followed with 3 other grinder lines for years, the Burridge/Heinze/Donato types, all nice players, he wouldn`t spend to put a 2nd line who could hurt ya. If I was the only one who remembered his outrageous lack of intelligent spending then I`d agree with you, but his reputation and that of the Bruins isn`t just a myth, he and they spent to a degree, but when it was time for a player to "cash in", more often than not, they were gonzo, and rarely did he have a plan in place to replace that player.

Sorry, I will give credit where it`s due, success isn`t just about making the playoffs, many hammer Chia here for the job he`s done in spite of his playoff appearances and a Cup, he`s been here what??? 5/6 years and has helped compile the talent to put up 3 100pt seasons, and you can toss in the "ties" arguements, tis not like teams usually posted 10-12 ties in a season each.

Sorry, Sinden had his moments, but his last decade to 15 years as the man in charge made me ill
I'm more of ODAAT's generation -- and truer words were never spoken.

Harry Sinden was a fantastic hockey man, but the last decade plus of his career he was little more than a bitter, caustic, and confrontational man. More interested in fighting players, the NHLPA, Bob Goodenow, and escalating salaries than fielding a Cup winning team.

He purposely swam against the tide and tried to be a Don Quixote against salaries -- fighting windmills while others tried to win Cups. Maybe he was right, maybe salaries out were out of whack -- but for a fan who was tired of not winning, his crusade (which it was crystal clear he was going to lose) was painful and bitter.

The man took Ray Bourque to arbitration in 1993 --- let me say that one more time -- the man took Ray Bourque to arbitration in 1993. Not only that, but he said he'd trade him if the arbitrator ruled against Boston. What an a-hole.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:05 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Bourque totally overrated

Nothing like trying to cheapskate a legend
Yes there is. It's the Sinden School of S***h**d Management. Just give me that check, JJ, and we're golden.

GordonHowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
I'm more of ODAAT's generation -- and truer words were never spoken.

Harry Sinden was a fantastic hockey man, but the last decade plus of his career he was little more than a bitter, caustic, and confrontational man. More interested in fighting players, the NHLPA, Bob Goodenow, and escalating salaries than fielding a Cup winning team.

He purposely swam against the tide and tried to be a Don Quixote against salaries -- fighting windmills while others tried to win Cups. Maybe he was right, maybe salaries out were out of whack -- but for a fan who was tired of not winning, his crusade (which it was crystal clear he was going to lose) was painful and bitter.

The man took Ray Bourque to arbitration in 1993 --- let me say that one more time -- the man took Ray Bourque to arbitration in 1993. Not only that, but he said he'd trade him if the arbitrator ruled against Boston. What an a-hole.
All true. JJ let this guy drive the franchise into the ground and collected the profits.

Both of these clowns make me sick. Now JJ is a hero to some. Even a monkey falls out of a tree now and then.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:14 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
All true. JJ let this guy drive the franchise into the ground and collected the profits.

Both of these clowns make me sick. Now JJ is a hero to some. Even a monkey falls out of a tree now and then.
JJ will never be a hero to me. The one year of glory is one thing but the 38 years of misery tells me otherwise. I'm glad he wants to win it all gain instead of opening his vault and counting his money but he needs to spend some of that coin to bring in the sniper in case Nathan Horton goes the way of Marc Savard.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:28 PM
GloveSave1
-44-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/...-cup-loan-them

He is a riot. Expects the Cup back in Boston shortly... I like that.

"We've got to tell the Stanley Cup winner this year that the Cup's on loan to them," Jacobs said. "It's going to come back home here in the near term.
Damn straight, bossman.

I feel the same way.

Rest up, address what needs to be addressed, and we're right back in the running.

A lot of people are looking for these huge blockbuster deals...I don't think we're that far off. Maybe one nice addition away. We're not aquiring Stamkos...hahaha...But Streit wouldn't hurt. Wouldn't be surprised if Chia sees it that way too. Can't really see Chia bringing in a 7mill type player as Horton insurance. Try, once again, to fix the D.

Can't wait to get back at it.

Last edited by GloveSave1: 05-07-2012 at 01:35 PM.
GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksp1957 View Post
JJ will never be a hero to me. The one year of glory is one thing but the 38 years of misery tells me otherwise. I'm glad he wants to win it all gain instead of opening his vault and counting his money but he needs to spend some of that coin to bring in the sniper in case Nathan Horton goes the way of Marc Savard.
So you consider every year without a Cup misery?

You kids don't know from misery.

Misery is 1960-66 with the Bruins and Red Sox. That was my start as a baseball and hocket fan. That's 7 years of both teams never having a sniff of a mediocre season.

Bruins were last 6 times and 5th once(Rangers out-sucked them that year). Sox big year they were 76-84.

Later I had the privilege of being a Whalers season ticket holder. Though not a Whalers fan, I got to witness true misery. 18 years with 2 winning seasons. And they were miserable.

38 years of misery? 4 seasons with losing records. Only 2 with Sinden as GM.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:

In Sinden's 28 years, the Bruins had 10 or more ties 18 times.

But that's nitpicking (and for "But but but, Sinden led them to 12 100pts seasons so all is/was fine").

His last 15 years included two trips to the finals. Also included the 1 year rebuild. 1992-93 the team had 51 wins. Only Mario's Pens had more. No 2nd line, paid no one who was good, they all left, he had no plan to replace them, yet the teams were still very good. I still don't get it.

And I knew you weren't 22, ODAAT. I also agree with you most of the time and consider you one of the top posters here. But this Sinden stuff kills me. Maybe it was because I wasn't privy to the Boston media when Harry was running things. But for me he was the guy that gave the Bruins their identity. The Big Bad Bruins were a Harry Sinden production.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:57 PM
ksp1957

Quote:
So you consider every year without a Cup misery?

You kids don't know from misery.

Misery is 1960-66 with the Bruins and Red Sox. That was my start as a baseball and hocket fan. That's 7 years of both teams never having a sniff of a mediocre season.

Bruins were last 6 times and 5th once(Rangers out-sucked them that year). Sox big year they were 76-84.

Later I had the privilege of being a Whalers season ticket holder. Though not a Whalers fan, I got to witness true misery. 18 years with 2 winning seasons. And they were miserable.

38 years of misery? 4 seasons with losing records. Only 2 with Sinden as GM.

Thanks for the complement. I was born in 1957 and really enjoy being called a kid. I started with this team in 1966 so I think I know what misery is. The consecutive years being in the playoffs is the biggest myth in Boston sports history. How many of those years were one and done ? THose years we came close and missed because of missing one player were worse than being totally out of it like 1959-1966.

Old
05-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Number8

Quote:
In Sinden's 28 years, the Bruins had 10 or more ties 18 times.

But that's nitpicking (and for "But but but, Sinden led them to 12 100pts seasons so all is/was fine").

His last 15 years included two trips to the finals. Also included the 1 year rebuild. 1992-93 the team had 51 wins. Only Mario's Pens had more. No 2nd line, paid no one who was good, they all left, he had no plan to replace them, yet the teams were still very good. I still don't get it.

And I knew you weren't 22, ODAAT. I also agree with you most of the time and consider you one of the top posters here. But this Sinden stuff kills me. Maybe it was because I wasn't privy to the Boston media when Harry was running things. But for me he was the guy that gave the Bruins their identity. The Big Bad Bruins were a Harry Sinden production.
Harry Sinden was the architect of the Big Bad Bruins, no doubt. However for most of the 90's and beyond he was little more than a dinosaur. He spent more time in bitter contract squabbles than anything else -- often belittling players in the media (Bourque, Juneau, Oates, etc.) and ultimately alienating fans. Every season was another player in a pre/early season holdout -- different season, different player, same old sad story.

Keep in mind that he had a team that had Ray Bourque and Cam Neely as it's cornerstone. If there was ever a time to go full bore for a Cup that was the time. However, Harry made it such a caustic environment that Boston was not a desired location for many of the players that would have put us over the top.

IMO Harry retired (was forced out) 10-12 years too late.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:58 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Harry Sinden was the architect of the Big Bad Bruins, no doubt. However for most of the 90's and beyond he was little more than a dinosaur. He spent more time in bitter contract squabbles than anything else -- often belittling players in the media (Bourque, Juneau, Oates, etc.) and ultimately alienating fans. Every season was another player in a pre/early season holdout -- different season, different player, same old sad story.

Keep in mind that he had a team that had Ray Bourque and Cam Neely as it's cornerstone. If there was ever a time to go full bore for a Cup that was the time. However, Harry made it such a caustic environment that Boston was not a desired location for many of the players that would have put us over the top.

Fantastic Post

Old
05-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Bri

Quote:

And that's why, though I recognize Sinden as a brilliant GM, I'm not a Sinden guy; he HAD to know what was needed and he wouldn't or couldn't (depending on whether the "cap" was his or a JJ directive) do it. So in my mind, his brilliance is a mark both for and against him...it highlights his failure to do the "if only".

Look, those were some of my favorite Bruins teams of all time. I wouldn't trade the Neely years for anything. But- like it or not- in sports you're judged by winning. For as brilliant as Harry was, he never got his team over the hump. And there were a lot of great players that, imho, deserved better.

EDIT: There are many solid contributors here who disagree (like Dennis Bonvie) and I respect their opinion. I want to give credit to Sinden for the many great trades he made (Park, Middleton, Neely acquisitions chief amongst them...his good trades outweighed his bad by a long shot) but I've yet to hear a compelling case for why he couldn't take those teams to the next step...like have a bigger threat on the second line, as ODAAT mentions.

And I'll say again, I'm happy we're past this. The whole league has a cap and that's good for Bruins fans. I have a lot of confidence in Peter and even more in Cam. The future is bright.

Last edited by Bri: 05-08-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:45 AM
ksp1957

Quote:

^THIS !!!!! Probably the best post I've seen on this the entire thread. This states that I would want to say in a way that I would probably have to take 2 days to construct.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:

Thanks for the complement. I was born in 1957 and really enjoy being called a kid. I started with this team in 1966 so I think I know what misery is. The consecutive years being in the playoffs is the biggest myth in Boston sports history. How many of those years were one and done ? THose years we came close and missed because of missing one player were worse than being totally out of it like 1959-1966.
There's a difference between misery and frustration.

The 2010-2011 Red Sox teams were frustrating.

This year is miserable.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:

Well, I'm glad to see at least one of you kids show some appreciation.

The 29 years in a row in the playoffs was not a myth. It actually happened.

Old
05-08-2012, 07:08 PM
northeastern

thats what I want to hear. spend that $$

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote