HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz Thread #6

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Go For It

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
To the people complaining about the Richards/Carter trades in reference to Bryz...do you really think this team would be better off with those two and a different guy in net (both this season and moving forward)?
Butterfly effect.

EDIT: It really would depend on who's in net. If it's someone who can provide consistently good, sometimes great goaltending, then yes. If the goaltending carousel continued, then no.

Last edited by Go For It: 05-09-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old
05-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG View Post
Coyotes fan here...I have felt your pain. Great for us in the regular season, playoffs another story. What's up with all the 5 hole goals?
I still don't think the Flyers did their homework or due diligence (at least not thoroughly enough) on Bryz, and that going after him was the result of the owner throwing a temper tantrum and management wanting to mollify him. The telltale signs were clear as day that Bryz lacked mental toughness -- his putrid playoff performances after stellar regular seasons being the most major white flag, along with the fact that he blatantly QUIT on his team in last year's first round loss to Detroit -- and didn't exactly possess the type of personality to succeed in this city. Hopefully I'm wrong, but at this point, he is what he is. Even with a solid defense in front of him, why should I believe Bryz won't crap the bed in the playoffs instead of thriving under pressure?

Old
05-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
He's being paid enough for us to expect ELITE level performance no matter what kind of system we use or how our forwards back check or how many turnovers our d-men have.
and with that brilliant thought, i'll put this thread to rest, too & accept that [especially after seeing the above] that there are just some people here who cannot be a Flyers fan unless they put ALL of the blame on [insert goalie here]

Old
05-09-2012, 12:27 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG View Post
Coyotes fan here...I have felt your pain. Great for us in the regular season, playoffs another story. What's up with all the 5 hole goals?
read the thread and ask the 2 or 3 making excuses for him. there are 2 or 3 here who seem to think little or nothing is Bryzgalov's fault.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Mota

I think this was a tough season for Bryz in a lot of ways, so I'm anxious to see what he does with a fresh start next year.

If they retool the defense, I think he is more than capable of being the guy we need in net. The only time this season the Flyers played competent D was in March, and that happens to be the month he was voted the best player in the NHL for. Imagine if he gets a full season with competent D in front of him?

Old
05-09-2012, 12:46 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Bryz is not a goalie you can win 4 playoff rounds with. He kept us in it at times during the Devils series but he never won a game for us (in either round. game 6 against Pittsburgh was mostly the defense).

For those of you saying he doesn't need to be Lundqvist or Quick to win with our forwards and our system, well guess what. He's being paid enough for us to expect ELITE level performance no matter what kind of system we use or how our forwards back check or how many turnovers our d-men have.

All of those things have room for improvement obviously but Bryz has brought most of the blame on himself. His five hole has been a gaping tunnel all year, weak shots from the side have consistently found ways to sneak in under his arms, his lateral movement has been so bad that at times he simply looks lazy in net, his awareness on rebounds and missed shots is non existent, and his puck handling has been beyond terrible.

Besides all of those issues with his actual goaltending, his professionalism on and off the ice has made me angry too. Went from the whole 24/7 fiasco with the crazy interviews and telling reporters he was better off benched for the winter classic (at a point when he had been awful all year it was not the best time to be cracking jokes about it) until the Flyers finally muzzled him. At that point he became sullen, sarcastic and moody. Even on the ice he constantly seemed alienated from his teammates and was extremely quick to show his frustration when he wasn't getting enough goal or defensive support, even though he had constantly let the team down throughout the season.

Overall Bryz has looked like a huge mistake and if there is some sort of amnesty clause in the new CBA I wouldn't think twice about getting Bryz out of here. Michael Leighton was awful, much worse than Bryz (most of the time). But even at his ridiculous 2 year extension price he was much better value than Bryz at 5.6 a year for 9 years.
I'm not entirely disagreeing with Bryz, I mean ****ing hell his contract is awful, the guy is a psycho and he's also to blame for his bad season, but when you're last consistent goalie was about 20 years ago, that should pretty much sums up that no matter who you bring in as your goaltender, it won't make a difference if your system is flawed.

Bryz needs to adjust, it's only his first year, he was taken out of a completely defensive system and placed into a completely offensive one, take into account his history and everything did you just simply expect him to just come here and become and become an Elite goalie? Bryz isn't a Elite goalie, he never was, and probably never will be, that much should've been known when they signed him. I don't know why you or anyone else expect someone who never showed signs of being elite or consistency in the playoffs to be paid money and expect suddenly for him to be Lundqvist or Quick.

No matter how much you are getting paid, it doesn't matter, you offer someone this much money, they'll probably take it in a heartbeat regardless if they think they can do it or not, especially if you're offering Bryz double the amount he's worth.

Now that's said, I will give him another season to prove himself. They'll be no excuses next year for his performance.

If you want to blame anyone, you blame the management, they acted in desperation and didn't thoroughly study this guy before brining him in.

Last edited by TyrannoMeszarosRex: 05-09-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old
05-09-2012, 01:11 PM
toughfighter83*

everyone is acting bryz is worse than boucher/bob, he ten times better than them, i mean yeah he got pulled once in the pittsburgh series but he didnt give up alot of goals after that, if anyone remembers the buffalo and boston series last year, boucher/bob were getting lit up with goals constantly changing goalies every game was a nightmare for lav.

this year wasnt the case because they had goalie that gave them a chance to win games and not give up. if both of them were playing this year against pittsburgh and nj and not sign bryz, playoffs would have been a bigger disaster for the flyers if they somehow got past pittsburgh, probably nj too, it would have been a repeat maybe ten times worse than last year. so bryz is a keeper ok?

another thing, everyone is acting that bryz has to play 60 minutes of hockey in their zone, that's not possible,that has never done or unheard off, that's the way the flyers were playing in those 3 games, he cant steal a game without offensive pressure, if there was balance in those 3 games, with offense shooting pucks and great defense, limited turnovers/mistakes and bryz playing great in those games not just him. they could have beaten nj.

but the flyers beaten themselves, it's a team sport, you cant have a goalie play 60 minutes of hockey in your own zone without offensive pressure shots on goal on brodeur.

you think boucher/bob would have done it, you got to be kidding me, if you didnt watch last year's playoffs.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:20 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
you think boucher/bob would have done it, you got to be kidding me, if you didnt watch last year's playoffs.
last year the goalies gave up too many goals as well. Wasnt their fault. bad bounces, deflections, perfect shots, screens on our own goalie. We lead the league in excuses for our own goalies. Doesnt matter if they make 500k or 5 million.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:22 PM
2minutes4slashing

Bryz is a less than mediocre goaltender. The rest of the team knows they can't count on someone behind them to stop the puck. How are they supposed to go out and play full force when they know they have to worry every time an opposing team enters their zone. He's horrible. We can only hope that he doesn't want to be here as much as we don't want him here.

"makes the goalies job harder??" Please. Even with a stellar defense, he couldn't stop routine pucks. So Bryz kept them from getting swept. Big deal. If he could have stopped routine pucks as well as avoided scoring on himself, the Flyers would have had more of a chance. Their whole season was marred by sub-par goaltending. Bryzgalov must go.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Bruins71*
Bergeron for Selke

As a neutral observer, I think Bryz played well enough for the Flyers to win this series.

I dont think Bryz should get all the blame for the early exit, I think its more the fact that hes basically playing the same as a solid $1/2mil goalie but on a ridiculous contract in which he should be playing like a superstar.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:25 PM
BWAVgal
If we burn, you burn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Bryzgalov must go.
Sorry, he isn't going anywhere.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:27 PM
2minutes4slashing

Once again, no one is arguing about playing good D. Tough to do without Pronger, Kubina, Meszaros and seriously banged up Grossmann. This is why we are paying Bryzgalov 5.6M, to come up big in game 5. For the record: Our 3rd paring Lilja and Gus was exposed the entire 2nd round and Ponikarovsky’s OT goal was a perfect example. Big key for Devils forecheck.
Point I am trying to make is that Bryzgalov gives up stoppable soft goals. Always. This is what his X teammates from Phoenix Coyotes said about him. This is what he did in the playoffs for the past 3 and we just saw it. Do I blame him for 2nd round loss? No. Would I get rid of him and his contract if I had a chance. Yes.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:28 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins71 View Post
As a neutral observer, I think Bryz played well enough for the Flyers to win this series.

I dont think Bryz should get all the blame for the early exit, I think its more the fact that hes basically playing the same as a solid $1/2mil goalie but on a ridiculous contract in which he should be playing like a superstar.
Only idiots are saying he cost us the series against the Devils. The fact is the guy is not worth even close to what we're paying him and he's a constant liability. It's like buying Ferrari but receiving a Fiero.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:43 PM
TobagganCrackle
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
and with that brilliant thought, i'll put this thread to rest, too & accept that [especially after seeing the above] that there are just some people here who cannot be a Flyers fan unless they put ALL of the blame on [insert goalie here]

His pay does not justify his performance in this case he was a good goalie for one month then kinda just failboated in the playoffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAHAE...layer_embedded

Old
05-09-2012, 01:55 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes4slashing View Post
How are they supposed to go out and play full force when they know they have to worry every time an opposing team enters their zone.
If you are seriously asking this then the whole thing should be blown up.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I think the average hockey fan doesn't know what the hell he is looking at when it comes to goal tending. Bryzgalov was good to very good this series. At times it was pretty obvious he was trinyg to do to much to help his team avoid the froecheck by getting to the puck for them, which is clearly not his forte. I thought his effort level and competetiveness were A+, which is the only thing people seemed to doubt about him.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:00 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

The guy sucks. Saw this happening and mentioned it in my Preseason Predictions thread.

I have never seen such a hyped, highly paid Flyer fail so miserably.

He doesn't deserve another season but he will get one.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:06 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
read the thread and ask the 2 or 3 making excuses for him. there are 2 or 3 here who seem to think little or nothing is Bryzgalov's fault.
I don't think it's the "goaltenders" fault. This has nothing to do with Bryzgalov himself.

I wouldn't fault any goalie 100% for some of the goals that go in. I mean do you guys watch the NHL at all. some of the "great saves" in this league stem from 100% luck...(same with some goals). You cannot practice luck or plan for luck.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I don't think it's the "goaltenders" fault. This has nothing to do with Bryzgalov himself.

I wouldn't fault any goalie 100% for some of the goals that go in. I mean do you guys watch the NHL at all. some of the "great saves" in this league stem from 100% luck...(same with some goals). You cannot practice luck or plan for luck.
Some goalies seem to get a lot "luckier" than others. Those goalies tend to be the ones with the most skill.

05-09-2012, 02:18 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post

I have watched the NHL for over almost 40 years, so yes. Do I fault Bryzgalov for every goal? of course not. but some of the stuff he has let in are indefensable. Yet people will blame the goal on something esle. There are some here who think that Bryz deserves very little to no blame for his play this season. They make excuses for him.
Whether they are serious, or are just trolling I dont know.
some of it is luck, other times its epic ****ing fail like goal number 2 last night. you cannot defend that. period.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:21 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJagr View Post
I'm not entirely disagreeing with Bryz, I mean ****ing hell his contract is awful, the guy is a psycho and he's also to blame for his bad season, but when you're last consistent goalie was about 20 years ago, that should pretty much sums up that no matter who you bring in as your goaltender, it won't make a difference if your system is flawed.

Bryz needs to adjust, it's only his first year, he was taken out of a completely defensive system and placed into a completely offensive one, take into account his history and everything did you just simply expect him to just come here and become and become an Elite goalie? Bryz isn't a Elite goalie, he never was, and probably never will be, that much should've been known when they signed him. I don't know why you or anyone else expect someone who never showed signs of being elite or consistency in the playoffs to be paid money and expect suddenly for him to be Lundqvist or Quick.

No matter how much you are getting paid, it doesn't matter, you offer someone this much money, they'll probably take it in a heartbeat regardless if they think they can do it or not, especially if you're offering Bryz double the amount he's worth.

Now that's said, I will give him another season to prove himself. They'll be no excuses next year for his performance.

If you want to blame anyone, you blame the management, they acted in desperation and didn't thoroughly study this guy before brining him in.
Oh I absolutely blame the management. It was a stupid, knee-jerk reaction to the goalie carousel in last year's playoffs and was a terrible decision. I'm not blaming Bryz for taking the money, but he can absolutely be blamed for sub par performance.

And it doesn't matter if he's not actually "elite". The fact is he's getting PAID to be elite so no matter who's to blame he is terrible value and it's a huge opportunity cost. Briere is not elite even though he gets paid to be and you probably can't win a cup with him as your first line center. The difference is that you can move Briere to the second line or wing and he can still contribute despite his shortcomings and relative lack of value compared to what his cap hit is. You can't do that with a goalie. If we brought in somebody that actually IS good enough to win a cup with we would have 5.66 in dead cap space sitting on the bench not contributing at ALL.

I don't put 100% of this debacle on Bryz. Just most of it. Obviously you have to blame the management for that absurd contract and poor scouting but for large chunks of the season Bryz was playing well below replacement level. He inspires absolutely no confidence and the amount of backbreaking softies he lets in is mind boggling.

Bryz shouldn't get the blame for everything. There were lots of things that went wrong and everyone on the team is responsible in some way. But throughout the season Bryz was most definitely part of the problem, not the solution. And you can't pay a goalie the kind of money he makes to make your team worse. Say what you want about the system, the backchecking, the defense, whatever but if you can sit there and tell me with a straight face that Bryz had an overall positive season and that you are confident with him going forward then get the hell out of here.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:22 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Some goalies seem to get a lot "luckier" than others. Those goalies tend to be the ones with the most skill.
I don't think that's entirely the case...I am a big believer in goalies are generally products of their situation and their stats are largely determined by a number of things outside of their efforts.

I do think quick is really good and Rinne is really good.

Sadly, this is really not testable...as we can't just swap guys to see if this would work, ect.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

If a goalie is just a product of his situation then we should just find a way to get rid of Bryz, use his money to create the ideal situation, and then sign a plug-in. Leighton is about to be available.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:31 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

You know what sucks beyond having this BUM another 8 yrs?

We are going to have to deal BOB to create more cap space for a D.

Despite everybody hating on a rookie for getting lit up by the future cup champs, BOB shows incredible potential, work ethic, and athleticism.

He's gonna be a starter some where. If he can curb the butterfly issue, he will be a darn good one too.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:36 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
last year the goalies gave up too many goals as well. Wasnt their fault. bad bounces, deflections, perfect shots, screens on our own goalie. We lead the league in excuses for our own goalies. Doesnt matter if they make 500k or 5 million.
wasnt their fault? you dont fault them but fault bryz? why doesnt anyone admit they hate the guy and stop agruing about him.

Last edited by toughfighter83*: 05-09-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Closed Thread