HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz Thread #6

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Codith

vCash: 500
Hard to blame Bryz for this, honestly if you switched goalies in this series we still would have lost. I think he will find a more consistent game next year, it isn't easy going from one of the best defensive systems in the league to one of the worst. The team did little to nothing to help him either this series (And defensively the same for the last series). Carle/Lilja/Gus/Broken down kimo/hurt Grossman/Never gonna play Kubina/1 game Mesz/Done Pronger.....I mean what the **** did we really expect?

Old
05-10-2012, 08:31 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
I think we are all (well, not ALL) just mad and disappointed and not thinking 100% rationally right now. In a few weeks most people will come back down to earth... realize we need to work on our D and Bryz wasn't THE reason we lost.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:47 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Bryzsona non grata?

Per Meltzer..looks like Bryz got Bryzmissed by his motherland for the 2012 World Championships in Helsinki and Stockholm...

Guess we're stuck with him now, especially if he doesn't lite a forest fire under his butt next year. KHL might not be an option if he doesn't become more consistent next year. Will chalk it up as a transition year and hopefully we get 9 mos (reg season and playoffs) of March Bryz next season with a little help from a better D corps that can generate some offense and make the more defensive teams play more honest rather than bum rushing our offense because we have pea shooters in Carle back there...

Quote:
Team Russia has elected not to extend an invitation to Ilya Bryzgalov.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...r-Ago/45/44350

Old
05-10-2012, 10:07 AM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Per Meltzer..looks like Bryz got Bryzmissed by his motherland for the 2012 World Championships in Helsinki and Stockholm...
Shocking

Old
05-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Doesn't the Russian Hockey Federation have a beef with Bryzgalov? Or was that another Goalie?

Old
05-10-2012, 10:33 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Doesn't the Russian Hockey Federation have a beef with Bryzgalov? Or was that another Goalie?
He played in the 2010 Olynpics so unless something happened after that, it's probably someone else.

Old
05-10-2012, 10:47 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
My understanding that was a mutual beef over the last Olympics. And Bryz was vocal, as usual, with his comments. Also, he chose not to vote for a new/ old Russian president (and apparently talented hockey forward) Putin during last election. And again was pretty straight about it in the interview. Stated: "I overslepped". And that may be considered as a cardinal sin in Russia.

So, besides his inconsitent play, there may be other confounding factors to the Russian Federation decision.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:11 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
My understanding that was a mutual beef over the last Olympics. And Bryz was vocal, as usual, with his comments. Also, he chose not to vote for a new/ old Russian president (and apparently talented hockey forward) Putin during last election. And again was pretty straight about it in the interview. Stated: "I overslepped". And that may be considered as a cardinal sin in Russia.

So, besides his inconsitent play, there may be other confounding factors to the Russian Federation decision.
Bryz's fate if he speaks out against Pooty Poot

Old
05-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post

Thank you for that. I thought I remembered something about it.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
05-10-2012, 11:59 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
doesnt matter who you are in Europe and in Russia, if you do something politically incorrect they usually hold it against you since the governement foots the bill for the WC and Olympic teams.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Your thinking of Khabibulin

All had to do with the fact that Viktor Tikhonov stole Khabibulin's 92 Gold Medal (And still wielded power thru 90's with Russian hockey)

02 Olympics is when Russia set right the wrong and awarded Khabibulin the medal he had stolen

Old
05-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

All had to do with the fact that Viktor Tikhonov stole Khabibulin's 92 Gold Medal (And still wielded power thru 90's with Russian hockey)

02 Olympics is when Russia set right the wrong and awarded Khabibulin the medal he had stolen
Nope wasn't him. Didn't know anything about that haha.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:

I think Bryz is also in hot water after speaking out against the national team's coach.

05-10-2012, 12:23 PM
mirimon

Quote:

Most Russian players have had some trouble with their hockey federation at one time or another it seems, but he was probably thinking about the Bryzgalov/Nabokov debate surrounding the Vancouver Olympics that CSKA already mentioned. Bryzgalov turned down an invitation to play for the Russian team in the WC that year I believe, feeling he should have been the clear number 1 in the Olympics. I could be remembering that one wrong though, but I think that was what happened.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:44 PM
goodrev

I think that Bryz had a terrible first series against Pitt, though he did make some big saves. I think he was actually very good against NJ, even though he scored the game winning goal for the clincher.

The reality is that this team has NO emphasis on defense, and there is no passion in their own end for it. You have people like Briere, and half our defense just watching as opposing players just walk to the front of the net and post up for shots where Bryz needs to make the amazing save. This shouldn't be... I am not saying that Bryz is not 100% in the clear, as he let in at least one soft goal every other game and in the pitt series it was one plus a game, but this defense without Pronger has no identity, which is the biggest problem.

Remember when we made Leighton and Boucher look like Roy two years back? That was because no one stood in front of our net and everyone played gritty defense in our own end.

Old
05-10-2012, 01:05 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Wonder how Bryz would react if he played in the KHL and somebody tried to put a baseball cap on him....

http://www.aolnews.com/2009/01/28/fo...-russian-game/

Old
05-10-2012, 01:13 PM
flyerfanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
doesnt matter who you are in Europe and in Russia, if you do something politically incorrect they usually hold it against you since the governement foots the bill for the WC and Olympic teams.
Is this some kind of ****** joke?

Old
05-10-2012, 03:04 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Do I really have to comment on Bryz?...really? I can't believe we have him for another 8 years.

Goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov, in the first season of a nine-year, $51-million contract, entered the Devils series with the second-worst goals-against average and save percentage of all starting goalies in the first round.

While his play improved against the Devils, he still finished the playoffs with a 3.46 GAA and .887 SP, the worst of all starting goalies after two rounds this spring.
OUCH!

Old
05-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156

Posted in the Playoff Photoshop Thread by Aspirine

Old
05-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post

LOL @bryz' face in that .gif..

hahaha

Old
05-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:

Oh yeah, this had me laughing out loud in the office.

Old
05-10-2012, 05:46 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
He let in 3 or more goals in 24 out of 57 starts this season. And when he was "on" (March) he had 3 games out of 15 where he let in 3 or more goals.
GAA is the fault of defense.

SV% is fault of the goaltender.

Old
05-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
GAA is the fault of defense.

SV% is fault of the goaltender.
Not really. Both are a product of both goalie and defense.

Old
05-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Haute Couturier

ESPN Insider has a real depressing piece on Bryz. Here is an interesting section:

Quote:
Then, there's the question of what qualifies as a long enough and accurate enough sample of a player's performance to base future projections on. In Phoenix, while Bryzgalov's first two seasons under Wayne Gretzky were a mixed bag (.920, .906 SP), if you added in his last two seasons under Dave Tippett (.920, .921), it made for a pretty impressive four-year track record with the Coyotes, at least on the surface. In retrospect, though, Tippett and goaltending coach Sean Burke seem to be making everyone in a mask and pads look like Superman in Phoenix, inflating save percentages for Bryzgalov, backup Jason LaBarbera and 2012 Vezina snub Mike Smith over the past three seasons.

Therefore, while some may look at Bryzgalov's 2011-12 campaign as a disappointment and an anomaly, the fact is that .909 is just a tick under his career average -- if you toss out the last two seasons behind Tippett's system, which might be the real anomalies. Bryzgalov's save percentage has been between .906 and .910 in four of his seven seasons. That's not elite, and Bryzgalov never was.

Old
05-10-2012, 06:09 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:

Thats hilarious...

Closed Thread