HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz Thread #6

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2012, 05:02 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJagr View Post
So, give or take in the last 15 years or so, why haven't we had consistency in our goaltending? Run and gun systems don't support goalies.
With the exception of Hextall, have looked at who our goaltenders were lol?

Old
05-12-2012, 05:05 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
More than likely his excuse is going to be that Bryz was alive and well during those 15 years .
It's really sad, I think. People are looking to blame individual personalities but fail to look at the big picture. Even if somehow they did manage to rid of Bryz's contract, that shouldn't change the fact that the system and the D needs a change. I said before, get in any goalie here, with this system they are bound to break down sooner or later.

Run and gun systems are not playoffs material. Regular season, go ahead, but when it comes down to the playoffs everyone knows that D is the biggest factor there is. We've been shown that against Pittsburgh. Both teams played a run and gun game, so it didn't really matter, but why did they struggle so much against the Devils? The Devils didn't have problems scoring, because our D was ****. But we struggled to score, despite this awesome offensive line up, it's because their D was pretty ****ing solid and well structured. It didn't matter that our D was **** against the Penguins, because there's was worse.

To sum it up, No D, No Cup.

Last edited by TyrannoMeszarosRex: 05-12-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old
05-12-2012, 05:05 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Spend the majority of the chunk of change on Suter or another top D.

For G get Nabby away from NY and let him and BOB fight for starter.
So he had a bad series against PIT, played very well against NJ (aside from puck handling)....and we should move him somwhere (completely ignoring his NMC) and go pick up a 40 year old who in his career was always catastrophically bad in the playoffs, to battle it out with our young Russian who....talk about inconsistent...can look like a Vezina candidate one game, and then let in 5+ goals the next 3 games?

You continue to make a fool out of yourself, so much worse than BP74 now, it's hilarious.

And why should we disregard the systems being different? We might as well stop regarding red lights and stop signs too, because they're all clear as day.

Old
05-12-2012, 05:11 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
So he had a bad series against PIT, played very well against NJ (aside from puck handling)....and we should move him somwhere (completely ignoring his NMC) and go pick up a 40 year old who in his career was always catastrophically bad in the playoffs, to battle it out with our young Russian who....talk about inconsistent...can look like a Vezina candidate one game, and then let in 5+ goals the next 3 games?

You continue to make a fool out of yourself, so much worse than BP74 now, it's hilarious.

And why should we disregard the systems being different? We might as well stop regarding red lights and stop signs too, because they're all clear as day.
Lol who would expect me to say? Nabby is the best of the cheaper goalies that we could get.

Okay. Lets go get King Henrik.

Yeah. Lets keep the guy who had one great month the entire season, just for the fact he wasn't the worst player on the ice in a 5 game series.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Old
05-12-2012, 05:14 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Quote:
Lol who would expect me to say? Nabby is the best of the cheaper goalies that we could get.

Yeah. Lets keep the guy who had one great month the entire season, just for the fact he wasn't the worst player on the ice in a 5 game series.

Look at his stats post-all star break.

Edit, Quoted from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'll post it again for anyone who says Bryzgalov was only good for the month of March. These are Bryzgalov's stats since the Winter Classic:

18-8-4, .948 Save Percentage. The only thing I wasn't able to find was the GAA, but you get the picture. Those look like pretty excellent numbers if you ask me.

EDIT: Found the GAA. For that stretch, Bryzgalov's GAA was 2.06

Old
05-12-2012, 05:17 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Look at his stats post-all star break.

Edit, Quoted from another thread.
With the exception of March, consistently inconsistent and mediocre.

Old
05-12-2012, 05:20 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Quote:
With the exception of March, consistently inconsistent and mediocre.
Those numbers don't look that of an inconsistent goalie

So, out of curiosity, If next season Bryz was an absolute complete beast even in the playoffs, what would you say then?

Old
05-12-2012, 05:22 PM
2minutes4slashing

Quote:

So, out of curiosity, If next season Bryz was an absolute complete beast even in the playoffs, what would you say then?
he wont be , so dont hold your breathe...

Old
05-12-2012, 05:29 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes4slashing View Post
Interesting.

Old
05-12-2012, 05:41 PM
2minutes4slashing

Quote:
Interesting.
Thats funny coming from the typical internet number & statistics guru...
I'm willing to bet that if Homer could find a way to get rid of this clown inbetween the pipes, the MAJORITY (remember that little word from a few hrs back ?)of the fans in the city of Philadelphia would being doing back flips down Broad and Pattison ... book it ..
but but..but I'm the only one who posts on this comic book message forum that doesnt want him traded or sent packing remember?...lmao

Old
05-12-2012, 05:46 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

vCash: 50
Bryz deserves another year, completely ignoring the fact we can't get rid of him anyway, he found his game in march, got injured and was so-so in the playoffs. If he repeats the same year next year(meaning the inconsistency in the beginning of the season), then we get concerned. March bryz gave me hope he can succeed here with solid defense(not even great defense just solid). He was probably the 2nd best player in the jersey series even with the horrible goal in game 5. With the defense we had, i don't care if Quick was our goalie, we weren't winning.

Old
05-12-2012, 05:55 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Those numbers don't look that of an inconsistent goalie

In the event of such fairy tale endings I would man up and admit I was wrong. Duh.

Old
05-12-2012, 06:09 PM
2minutes4slashing

Bryz isnt the Flyers only problem, but he's the biggest problem as of today... can he improve next year?? he'll have to , he has no choice. You can tell management is just as annoyed at him as most of the fans are .... They also need some size up front , some grit up front, more nastiness then just Zac Rinaldo .. plus obviously , they need 3 more Solid D-men .

Old
05-12-2012, 06:31 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes4slashing View Post
Thats funny coming from the typical internet number & statistics guru...
I'm willing to bet that if Homer could find a way to get rid of this clown inbetween the pipes, the MAJORITY (remember that little word from a few hrs back ?)of the fans in the city of Philadelphia would being doing back flips down Broad and Pattison ... book it ..
but but..but I'm the only one who posts on this comic book message forum that doesnt want him traded or sent packing remember?...lmao
Cool story bro, you should tell it at parties.

Old
05-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Thirded.

This makes it all crystal clear:

Tampa had 16 shots.
/sigh only 8 more years of bryz-aster low-lites..

Old
05-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post

But I'm sure none of this will sink in right? I'll be sure to keep a track on this thread and bring these comments back up next season when he is completely kicking ass.
or sucking wind ala this season..

which is more likely to be the case.. but alas i suppose we have no choice but to see what happens. as Bryz is virtualy unmovable at this point.

Last edited by Flyerfan4life: 05-12-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old
05-12-2012, 08:24 PM
2minutes4slashing

Quote:

Old
05-13-2012, 02:15 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:

Holmgren needs to be the wizard in that. or maybe Laviolette.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:51 AM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Holmgren needs to be the wizard in that. or maybe Laviolette.

Old
05-13-2012, 06:43 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:

Well you've apparently got all the answers, so think one out that would be a logical improvement on Bryz. Nabby would be an improvement in terms of a contract, but then so would anybody. In terms of performance? Not many better than Bryz in the regular season and playoffs (you'd be surprised how much I just cringed typing that sentence). But seriously...Nabby, terrible playoff record, 40 years old. Marty, can't see him coming to Philly after 1,000 years with a rival...also 40. Luongo? HAH...and you think Bryz gets hammered by the fans...Vokoun? he'll be hurt by November, and he's also older.

As for Bryz being "inconsistent" since the all-star break...no less inconsistent than ANY (inc Hank, Quick, Rinne, TT, etc) goalie in the league during that stretch. I mapped the stats of 3+ gaa games for you on another page for all of them.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post

As for Bryz being "inconsistent" since the all-star break...no less inconsistent than ANY (inc Hank, Quick, Rinne, TT, etc) goalie in the league during that stretch.

Jan / April:

.912 [8]
.910 [10]
.947 [13]
.880 [2 games played]

Old
05-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I thought it would be fun to revisit the "blocked shots=good defense=good goalie results" myth.

The Flyers were in the top 10 (at 10th) for blocked shots in the regular season. They blocked <1 shot less than New York per game. Let's look at some teams who are known for their defensive play, and see how the number of blocked shots relates to goals against:

Flyers: 609 blocks, 2.74 GA

New Jersey: 606, 2.50
Boston: 585, 2.43
Nashville: 656, 2.50
St Louis: 566, 1.89
NYR: 672, 2.22
Phoenix: 527, 2.37
LA: 534, 2.07

So, only two of these defensive teams blocked more shots than the Flyers and had a lower GAA. The rest blocked less shots, yet still managed to have less goals scored on them per game. So...the argument that Bryz would have been better if the defense had blocked more shots doesn't hold up. He had pretty good shot blocking in front of him, and it didn't make a difference. He had better shot blocking than some of the best goalies (and many mediocre ones) this season, and performed below them. Glancing back and forth across the stats, it appears as though there are many teams who aren't renowned for defense...who didn't block as many shots...and still got better goaltending. So the notion that Bryz would do better if more shots were blocked doesn't exactly stand up.

On top of that, it doesn't exactly make Bryz seem very good if the excuse is "well...he'd be great if he didn't face shots!"

05-14-2012, 09:08 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
I thought it would be fun to revisit the "blocked shots=good defense=good goalie results" myth.

The Flyers were in the top 10 (at 10th) for blocked shots in the regular season. They blocked <1 shot less than New York per game. Let's look at some teams who are known for their defensive play, and see how the number of blocked shots relates to goals against:

Flyers: 609 blocks, 2.74 GA

New Jersey: 606, 2.50
Boston: 585, 2.43
Nashville: 656, 2.50
St Louis: 566, 1.89
NYR: 672, 2.22
Phoenix: 527, 2.37
LA: 534, 2.07

So, only two of these defensive teams blocked more shots than the Flyers and had a lower GAA. The rest blocked less shots, yet still managed to have less goals scored on them per game. So...the argument that Bryz would have been better if the defense had blocked more shots doesn't hold up. He had pretty good shot blocking in front of him, and it didn't make a difference. He had better shot blocking than some of the best goalies (and many mediocre ones) this season, and performed below them. Glancing back and forth across the stats, it appears as though there are many teams who aren't renowned for defense...who didn't block as many shots...and still got better goaltending. So the notion that Bryz would do better if more shots were blocked doesn't exactly stand up.

On top of that, it doesn't exactly make Bryz seem very good if the excuse is "well...he'd be great if he didn't face shots!"
I didn't know there was a big "myth" to dispel. bryzgalov struggled at points in the season but you can block shots and still suck without the puck. if you really want to go find a stat, find out how many turnovers happened in the slot this year.

Old
05-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Flyers are middle of the pack for turnovers. Turnovers happen to every team.

Old
05-14-2012, 09:50 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Pair of softies for Brodeur tonight.

Closed Thread