HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

THN confirms having a shootout is a "done deal" when the NHL returns

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2004, 12:13 AM
Accord

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Well the MLB doesn't have tied games in the first place.
Nor does the NBA.

Old
12-14-2004, 12:29 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Who do so many hate ties. I love them. If both teams fight hard all night and it is tied at 65 minutes....both get a hard earned point. One team shouldn't rewarded because it has a couple one dimnetional offensive threats like Kovalchuk and Heatley.

Old
12-14-2004, 01:16 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I love the idea, but I say give them more of a chance to win in overtime, give them a full 20 minute period.

Old
12-14-2004, 02:26 AM
edmontonoilers89

Why do so many people want to ruin the fabric of the game just to main-stream it some more for the casual fan?? It makes absolutely no bloody sense.

Here in Canada, I see all the hockey highlights I need, so worrying about Joe in Alabama and how he percieves the game through the Sportcentre highlights means nothing to me.

Besides, the higher the interest, the higher the demand, the higher the ticket prices. Me no likey.

Old
12-14-2004, 02:44 AM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf
Can you imagine a team needing to win a game to make the playoffs? And a player skates toward the goalie with a playoff spot on the line? The excitement? The anticipation?
Too bad they didn't actually "win a game", they just won an All Star competition.

Meanwhile, over in the *other* city, is a team that won more actual hockey games, but loses that playoff spot and millions of dollars.

Any system that awards the same number of points for winning a shootout vs a regulation win is a complete joke.

Old
12-14-2004, 02:46 AM
PecaFan

Quote:
Of course they have tie games. They just have the common sense to extend play until there's a winner, as does basketball.

Old
12-14-2004, 03:05 AM
corbanSOG
Registered Loser

i agree with all the negative comments made about shootouts, however i also recognize that it is an attempt to give the game a broader appeal. the only way i'd be even remotely happy with a shootout is if they change the points given for a ot win/shotout win. here's how i would do it:

regulation win - 2 pts
ot win - 2 pts
shootout win - 1 pt

0 pts for ot or shootout loss. i didn't like the nhl adding a pt for an ot loss. if you lose, you get nothing. if you win in the shootout, which isn't a true indicator of how well you played in the game, you only get a partial reward. this gives incentive for teams to win the game in regulation or ot, and to always play to win, since you get nothing at all for losing.

Old
12-14-2004, 03:36 AM
I Hate You All*

Send a message via AIM to I Hate You All* Send a message via Yahoo to I Hate You All*
START the game with a shootout to determine who will win if the game ends tied after three periods and scrap overtime!

baahahaha!

Old
12-14-2004, 03:39 AM
Tuggy

I think people need to give it a chance before automatically dissimissing the idea. I am not overly excited about the idea but I am willing to see how it plays out. People need to understand that the game does need to be changed, not for most of us but for the people they are trying to sell the game to. In case you "hardcore" fans haven't noticed, the game isn't exactly flourishing in the States.

Old
12-14-2004, 04:14 AM
Crows*

What a terrible thing!!!!!!!!

I say if you're going to have a shootout, make the OT 10 minutes like the WHL used to have a 10 min OT.

or 4 on 4 for the first 5 minutes then 3 on 3 the rest.

Old
12-14-2004, 04:35 AM
ARianna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehtonen32
But how will he know until he tries! Give offense a go Lemaire, do it for the kids. Mind you, I won quite a sum of money for betting on a Minnesota-LA game to end in a tie last year, so perhaps I should quit complaining.
WOAH, WOAH, WOAH there buddy.

betting money on a tie from the Wild?

man, were you pushing the envelope.

you daredevil you.

Old
12-14-2004, 05:07 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord
Nor does the NBA.
Quote:
So your telling me games aren't tied at the end of nine innings? Or in the NBA's case, the end of regulation?

Use your heads guys. I was obviously poking fun at the NHL by saying those leagues should change from their current tie breaking formats to my particular examples. In all cases they would be taking one aspect of the game, which although an interesting part of the game, should not be used as a tie breaker because it is just one aspect of the game. Get it?

Old
12-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
So your telling me games aren't tied at the end of nine innings? Or in the NBA's case, the end of regulation?

Use your heads guys. I was obviously poking fun at the NHL by saying those leagues should change from their current tie breaking formats to my particular examples. In all cases they would be taking one aspect of the game, which although an interesting part of the game, should not be used as a tie breaker because it is just one aspect of the game. Get it?
Well, what would you prefer as a tie breaker? Ongoing sudden-death overtime ala the playoffs? Sure, keeping the game going is fine in the regular season for baseball, but it's not practical for hockey.

I'm willing to give the shoot-out a chance.

Besides, I didn't see any of you "purists" complaining when the NHL eliminated the rover position. Change is inevitable. Get used to it.

Old
12-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 968
Quote:
Well, what would you prefer as a tie breaker? Ongoing sudden-death overtime ala the playoffs? Sure, keeping the game going is fine in the regular season for baseball, but it's not practical for hockey.

I'm willing to give the shoot-out a chance.

Besides, I didn't see any of you "purists" complaining when the NHL eliminated the rover position. Change is inevitable. Get used to it.

Now that seems like kind of a silly suggestion, SHane, that we purists didn't cry foul when the rover position was eliminated. Obviously none of us were alive. At that time HOCKEY WAS STILL A NEW GAME, FINDING ITS PLACE AND EVOLVING. It has settled in quite nicely just the way it is...

Old
12-14-2004, 02:32 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky
Obviously none of us were alive.
Obviously you didn't get the joke.

Old
12-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Chili

Why even play three periods?

Why not just go straight to shootouts to appease the 30% of fans who want to see this.

To he!! with the 70 % that actually want to watch hockey and are focused on the level of play and not the final score.

Old
12-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
Why even play three periods?

Why not just go straight to shootouts to appease the 30% of fans who want to see this.

To he!! with the 70 % that actually want to watch hockey and are focused on the level of play and not the final score.
Watch the game then and leave before the shoot-out starts.

Old
12-14-2004, 03:15 PM
Chili

Quote:
Watch the game then and leave before the shoot-out starts.

A shootout is not part of the game, it's a skills event.

If you want to watch skills events, then there should be two hours or more of it for you to enjoy, that's my point.

Old
12-14-2004, 03:20 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
A shootout is not part of the game, it's a skills event.

If you want to watch skills events, then there should be two hours or more of it for you to enjoy, that's my point.
I don't see how they're any different that penalties to decide a soccer game. No one has a problem with that.

Old
12-14-2004, 04:10 PM
Chili

I won't get into the soccer vs hockey debate, you just end up trashing one or the other.

The only way a shootout would be palatable for me was before the game.

Have it before the game and the result is known before the puck is ever dropped. Teams would then have three periods to make the result of the shootout moot. play could get especially interesting near the end of a tie game with one team knowing that they must score or lose.

The drama would still be in the game itself, where it belongs in my opinion.

Old
12-14-2004, 05:10 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
It has nothing to do with being a purist. I'm all for ANY change that improves the game. The game has become dreadfully boring the last decade or so. But IMO this doesn't do that. It's a gimmick not unlike Fox's glowing puck.

Personally I would go the 3 pts for a win, 2 pts for a OT win, 1 pt for OT loss, with 1 pt each for a tie route. That would penalize teams that play for a tie. I would also increase the OT to 10 minutes and continue with the 4 on 4 in OT. Hell I wouldn't mind them going to 3 on 3 for the second half of the OT. That's hardly being a purist. And as Chili stated the drama would remain in the game, not a side show.

Quote:
I don't see how they're any different that penalties to decide a soccer game. No one has a problem with that.
I do. No championship at any level should ever be decided by penalty kicks.

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 12-14-2004 at 05:44 PM.
Old
12-14-2004, 05:36 PM
Lexicon Devil

Why am I a "purist" because I hate shootouts? For all you know I could be a proponent of four-on-four hockey and the elimination of the red-line. There is absolutely no reason to think that everyone who dislikes shootouts does so because they are a "purist".

No, I'm not a purist. I just happen to think that shootouts are incredibly, incredibly lame.

Quote:
People need to understand that the game does need to be changed, not for most of us but for the people they are trying to sell the game to. In case you "hardcore" fans haven't noticed, the game isn't exactly flourishing in the States.
Why should I care if the game isn't "flourishing in the States"? Last I checked, it's healthy enough in Detroit, Philadelphia, Minnesota, Columbus, Denver, ... the list goes on. That's good enough for me. Why should I sit quietly and allow horrible changes to the game in a pathetic attempt to bail out Bettman's failed pet project of putting teams in questionable markets?

Old
12-14-2004, 05:51 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf
Shootouts televise well, and shootout winners would be on SportsCenter, and national and local sportscasts. Also, a shootout win would trump the obligatory highlight fight.

Which ever way anyone wants to spin it, the fact is that the NHL will get some positive pub if they implement the shootout - especially in US.
true.

Old
12-14-2004, 05:54 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2
Toss a freaking coin. That'll get you a winner.
They could put a corporate sponser on the coin and have a celebrity toss it! Can you imagine the increased revenue and exposure?!?!?

I bet Gary Bettman would soil himself imagining Clay Aiken tossing a Mountain Dew coin on ESPN.

Old
12-14-2004, 06:30 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Of course they have tie games. They just have the common sense to extend play until there's a winner, as does basketball.
In hockey you could never do that. As evidenced by the playoffs, games frequently go into multiple overtime games, and you couldn't do that if you have back to back games. I would be behind the idea of continuous overtime if it wasn't for that.

Closed Thread