Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

The lines so far.

Old
05-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Thumper17

vCash: 500
The lines so far.

Going by people still signed and in their NATURAL POSITION/POSITIONS (IE, Cammy is LW/C.) People need to stop putting LW's on the right side. Seriously. What do you see the lines looking like so far?

Tanguay - Cervenka - Iginla
Glencross - Cammelleri -
Baertschi - Stajan - Howse
Horak - Bouma - Jackman
Nemisz

Bouwmeester - Giordano
Butler - Brodie
Babchuk - Smith
Piskula

Kipprusoff
Karlsson

Now, who do you think we'll sign/trade?

Glencross - Cammelleri - Parise
Baertschi - Backlund - Howse
Horak - Stajan - Jackman
Bouma

Bouwmeester - Giordano
Suter - Butler
Smith - Brodie
Henry

Kipprusoff
Karlsson

So we trade Babchuk/loan him to Russia and then the following.

FORWARDS
Alex Tanguay ($3.500m) / Roman Cervenka ($3.775m) / Jarome Iginla ($7.000m)
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Zach Parise ($7.000m)
Sven Baertschi ($1.456m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / Ryan Howse ($0.878m)
Roman Horak ($0.800m) / Matt Stajan ($3.500m) / Tim Jackman ($0.613m)
Lance Bouma ($0.693m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m) / Mark Giordano ($4.020m)
Ryan Suter ($5.000m) / Chris Butler ($1.250m)
Derek Smith ($0.775m) / T.J. Brodie ($0.742m)
Jordan Henry ($0.750m) /
GOALTENDERS
Miikka Kiprusoff ($5.833m)
Henrik Karlsson ($0.863m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,177,916; BONUSES: $4,116,250
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,238,334

Of course, if we dont get Suter/Parise then Coumeau and some other UFA D will be signed to shore up the D corp. Still, 3 mil worth of spcae with that roster? Good stuff.

Thumper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Qubax

Pretty much no way in hell Parise signs in Cowtown.

Also, I really doubt Howse plays more then 5-10 games if any at all next season. He's gotta learn to be a pro, and I think that's gonna take a few years. He's somewhere above Chucko and below Nemisz on the potential to bust meter.

Also we may role the Top 3 lines relatively equally, but I'm not sure how Baertschi doesn't end up in the Top 6 forwards...however you want to slice it...

Baerstchi - Backlund - Cammalleri
Glenx - Stajan - Moss
Bouma - Horak - Jackmen/Nemisz

My main thing is I think I want Baertschi and Tanguay on separate lines because I think they are our best two passers. Cleary Iginla and Cammy are our best two trigger men.

So somehow I think Tanguay/Iggy and Sven/Cammy should be paired...probably makes sense to put Cervenka on the Top line then...

Stajan played better toward the end of the year..and I think he'd thrive with some solid steady minutes and solid linemates. Moss and GlenX have some chemistry so since Jokinen is probably gone I'd put Stajan with those two.

4th line is like...whatever.

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Qubax

I'm most excited for 2 to 3 years from now when we could have both Gaudreau and Reinhart in the lineup. I guess JG might take longer cause he's gotta put on like 50 pounds lol

Hopefully we draft another good Top 6 level forward with out first rounder this year....

Old
05-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Qubax

What if we trade our first rounder for Niederitter(sp?)

Baerstchi-Cammalleri-El Nino could be a nice looking line...

Old
05-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Medium Rare*

its May, its waaaaay too early for a thread about lines

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Thumper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
Pretty much no way in hell Parise signs in Cowtown.

Also, I really doubt Howse plays more then 5-10 games if any at all next season. He's gotta learn to be a pro, and I think that's gonna take a few years. He's somewhere above Chucko and below Nemisz on the potential to bust meter.

Also we may role the Top 3 lines relatively equally, but I'm not sure how Baertschi doesn't end up in the Top 6 forwards...however you want to slice it...

Baerstchi - Cammalleri - FA Signing
Glenx - Stajan - Moss
Bouma - Horak - Jackmen/Nemisz

My main thing is I think I want Baertschi and Tanguay on separate lines because I think they are our best two passers. Cleary Iginla and Cammy are our best two trigger men.

So somehow I think Tanguay/Iggy and Sven/Cammy should be paired...probably makes sense to put Cervenka on the Top line then...

Stajan played better toward the end of the year..and I think he'd thrive with some solid steady minutes and solid linemates. Moss and GlenX have some chemistry so since Jokinen is probably gone I'd put Stajan with those two.

4th line is like...whatever.
Glennie will NOT go 3rd line. I think it'd be a good idea to give Baertschi time to adjust and the 3rd line would be good for that with some other rookie types. Besides, he still needs to grow and will probably end up in the AHL for a year.

Old
05-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Qubax

While I wouldn't mind seeing Sven on the 3rd line as long as he gets 12-14 mins...I think there is a very low probability that he spends much if any time in the AHL...

He would kill the AHL...and even though I don't think it would hurt him...I think his skill set is too important to the big club...

Old
05-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Qubax

If we traded our 2012 first for El nino...

The top 3 lines could be

Tanguay-Cervenka-Iginla
GlenX-Stajan-Moss
Baerstchi-Cammy-ElNino

Play the 2nd line in more defensive situations...the 3rd line in more offensive situations.... Role the Top 3 lines with similar ice time per line...top line gets a little more

19 mins top line
16 mins 2nd line
15 mins 3rd line
10 mins 4th line

adds up to 60 mins....ofcourse speciality teams would jack with this some...but those could be the ratios...

Old
05-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Why do you have Howse in the lineup? let alone 3rd line. He had 6 goals in 39 AHL games, not very good for a scorer. He hasn't even played a game in the playoffs yet (unless he's injured).

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:48 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
its May, its waaaaay too early for a thread about lines
I think its good to look at any line potentials. That way you can see where the holes are in the line-up and who needs to go.

showtime8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
I think its good to look at any line potentials. That way you can see where the holes are in the line-up and who needs to go.
Sure, but it's hard to even take a lot of these seriously when we already have a pretty good idea of what it is we need.
If anything, a offseason thread is more or less the purpose of this thread.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
@ Qubax, why does NYI trade Nino for a 1st? This will be what, his 3rd year of development? Why would they trade him for our 1st, when that pick will take 3 years to 'maybe' develop into the player that Nino is right now? Thats taking them 2 steps backwards. We would have to sweeten the pot likely with a good defensive propsect, and I would probably consider it given Nino's potential.

Regarding our lineup, centres we currently have under contract our Stajan, Backlund, Cervenka, Horak and Reinhart. Potential resignee's are Jokinen (UFA) and Jones (RFA) and to note that Cammy can play there as well. I don't think we will know how this situation sorts itself out until draft day and we will probably have a much clear idea around July, 20th. At that point we will probably have a much better indication on who will be our centres going into next season. I don't even think Feaster's knows at this point either lol.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:12 AM
JurassicTunga

vCash: 575
Without Stajan

Alex Tanguay - Michael Cammalleri - Jarome Iginla
Sven Baertschi - Roman Cervenka - UFA (Paranteau, Jagr etc)
Curtis Glencross - Mikael Backlund - Greg Nemisz/Lee Stempniak
Lance Bouma - Blair Jones - Tom Kostopolous/Tim Jackman

Ex: Roman Horak/Paul Byron/Akim Aliu

Jay Bouwmeester - Chris Butler
Mark Giordano - TJ Brodie
Derek Smith - Anton Babchuk
or sign a UFA to slot in one of these positions

Miikka Kiprusoff
Leland Irving

Head Coach: Troy Ward

JurassicTunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:22 AM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Sure, but it's hard to even take a lot of these seriously when we already have a pretty good idea of what it is we need.
If anything, a offseason thread is more or less the purpose of this thread.
Yea that's legit.

As an outside "fan", here's something that I would guess:

Alex Tanguay - Roman Cervenka - Jarome Iginla

Sven Baertschi - Mike Cammalleri - OPEN

Curtis Glencross - Mikael Backlund - Akim Aliu

Tim Jackman - Matt Stajan - OPEN

Jay Bouwmeester - Chris Butler

Mark Giordano - TJ Brodie

Derek Smith - OPEN

Miikka Kiprusoff
Henrik Karlsson

* this is just filling the void with players currently under contract.

Ultimately, if it were up to me... I would trade Iginla and Kiprusoff to try and maximize the value of their value. I would try and get and get a good young defenceman from one trade and a good #2 line forward from the other.

showtime8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 02:12 AM
Thumper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
Why do you have Howse in the lineup? let alone 3rd line. He had 6 goals in 39 AHL games, not very good for a scorer. He hasn't even played a game in the playoffs yet (unless he's injured).
He, Jackman and Iginla are the only RW's we have under contract. The rules state the best lines using signed players.

As for the final team, I think he should get his chance, we need to use our younger guys. It wouldnt be that hard to pick up a decent 3rd line RW if he doesnt pan out in his very limited capacity now that we have Parise AND Iggy, not to mention doubleshifting any of the other three RW's if we need what they bring over Howse.

Last edited by Thumper17: 05-05-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old
05-05-2012, 04:35 AM
FLaMeRss

Alex Tanguay / Matt Stajan / Jarome Iginla
Sven Baertschi / Roman Cervenka / Jaromir Jagr
Curtis Glencross / Olli Jokinen / Mike Cammalleri
Akim Aliu / Mikael Backlund / Tim Jackman
Extras: Bryon, Horak, Bouma, Jones and Nemisz

But I think well see something like this…
Alex Tanguay / Roman Cervenka / Jarome Iginla
Curtis Glencross / Olli Jokinen / Mike Cammalleri
Sven Baertschi / Mikael Backlund / Lee Stempniak
Lance Bouma / Matt Stajan / Akim Aliu
Extras: Bryon, Horak, Jones, Jackman and Nemsiz

FLaMeRss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Maybe Stajan would fit in Phoenix?

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 02:04 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
He's been injured. Ward gave him the tough love treatment for the vast majority of the season, sitting him out for the first six weeks of the season, then giving him 4th line time where he got hurt playing a little outside his game. Once he came back from injury he played great and registered the majority of his points in a stretch of play where Ward gave him better linemates and ice time. Just when he got rolling he got hit by a season ending injury. Tough first year for the kid but the Flames brass have nothing but good things to say about his growth and development this season, even if was cut short by injury.

I do find it funny that many here are willing to throw a kid with an excellent history of achievment and even over achievement, under the bus and call him a bust after his first year of professional hockey. Many of those same people are falling all over themselves to pencil in Aliu into the lineup. Aliu is a 23 year old who has bounced from organization to organization because of being a troublemaker on and off the ice. The only reason anyone is excited about this guy who scored 14 points in 42 AHL games this year, is because he got a call up for a nothing game and scored a pair of goals that were both flukes and in a nothing game. It is amazing how some players get judged as prospects. Right off a 20 year old who did all the right things this year, but think the 23 year old troublemaker is worth pencilling in the lineup? I don't get it.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 02:16 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
He's been injured. Ward gave him the tough love treatment for the vast majority of the season, sitting him out for the first six weeks of the season, then giving him 4th line time where he got hurt playing a little outside his game. Once he came back from injury he played great and registered the majority of his points in a stretch of play where Ward gave him better linemates and ice time. Just when he got rolling he got hit by a season ending injury. Tough first year for the kid but the Flames brass have nothing but good things to say about his growth and development this season, even if was cut short by injury.

I do find it funny that many here are willing to throw a kid with an excellent history of achievment and even over achievement, under the bus and call him a bust after his first year of professional hockey. Many of those same people are falling all over themselves to pencil in Aliu into the lineup. Aliu is a 23 year old who has bounced from organization to organization because of being a troublemaker on and off the ice. The only reason anyone is excited about this guy who scored 14 points in 42 AHL games this year, is because he got a call up for a nothing game and scored a pair of goals that were both flukes and in a nothing game. It is amazing how some players get judged as prospects. Right off a 20 year old who did all the right things this year, but think the 23 year old troublemaker is worth pencilling in the lineup? I don't get it.
agreed. Aliu will get a look throughout camp, but fans should not be holding there breath. He's done nothing in his career to lead people to believe he will be an NHL player.

If he can do a complete 180 with his attitude and learning to quite being a whiny little ****, then maybe, just maybe, we'll see a productive PWF who provides seondary scoring.

I would not not pencil him in at this point.

Tanguay-Stajan-Iginla
Cammy-Cervenka-Glencross
Barstchi-Backlund-Nemisz
Bouma-Horak-Jackman

This is what I'd do without guessing at trades, FA aqusitions.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 02:22 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
agreed. Aliu will get a look throughout camp, but fans should not be holding there breath. He's done nothing in his career to lead people to believe he will be an NHL player.

If he can do a complete 180 with his attitude and learning to quite being a whiny little ****, then maybe, just maybe, we'll see a productive PWF who provides seondary scoring.

I would not not pencil him in at this point.

Tanguay-Stajan-Iginla
Cammy-Cervenka-Glencross
Barstchi-Backlund-Nemisz
Bouma-Horak-Jackman

This is what I'd do without guessing at trades, FA aqusitions.
Jones was much better at shutdown last year and I think Horak could use some time in the AHL to work on his offensive game.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 02:26 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Jones was much better at shutdown last year and I think Horak could use some time in the AHL to work on his offensive game.
Jones is an RFA, or are we including them in this thread? Either way, I agree.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 02:27 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Jones is an RFA, or are we including them in this thread? Either way, I agree.
You included Backlund isn't he a RFA?

Old
05-05-2012, 02:33 PM
flameaholic

I can't believe at the number of people pimping Matt Stajan as our #1 center. Him and his 10 goals and 18 points this past season. His career best is 57 points and he has never had a 20 goal season in his career.

If Matt freaking Stajan is our #1 center next season, I'll be cheering for another team.

Last edited by flameaholic: 05-05-2012 at 02:43 PM.
flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 02:40 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
I can't believe at the number of people pimping Matt Stajan as our #1 center. Him and his 10 goals and 18 points this past season. His career best is 57 points and he has never had a 20 goal season in his career.

If Matt freaking Stajan is our #1 center next season, I'll be cheering for another team.
He played almost the entire season on the fourth line and was one of the best players when moved into the top 6. He is about as good defensively as Jokinen and better at faceoffs. He is a better option then giving Jokinen a big money long term contract.

Old
05-05-2012, 02:46 PM
flameaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
He played almost the entire season on the fourth line and was one of the best players when moved into the top 6. He is about as good defensively as Jokinen and better at faceoffs. He is a better option then giving Jokinen a big money long term contract.
So because he's good defensively and better at faceoffs that makes him a #1 center?

If a soon to be 30-year-old whose career best is 19 goals and 57 points is your #1 center, you're in big ****ing trouble my friend.

Glad you're not the GM.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote