Notices

Troy Ward being given consideration for Flames Head Coach

Old
05-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Qubax

vCash: 500
Troy Ward being given consideration for Flames Head Coach

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2422161/

I think he's the next good young NHL coach in the same vein as Bylsma, Guy Boucher etc....I reallllllllly like Troy Ward and he's only going to get more and more press in the next year or so.

I know he's a little, "Green"....but man I think he's the real deal as far as potential coaching prospects...and he's right in our own backyard....

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:20 PM
tfong

Isn't he a defensive coach first though? That means he wouldn't be like Bylsma or Boucher and their free flow strategies.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Qubax

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Isn't he a defensive coach first though? That means he wouldn't be like Bylsma or Boucher and their free flow strategies.
I don't think he's like Hitchcock by any stretch. I think he dealt with the hand he was dealt with the Heat, and got the most out of them.

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:46 PM
showtime8

If the Flames were to offer him a contract, you wouldn't hear anything until after the Heat series with the Marlies.

If the Flames don't rebuild, then I can't see him taking the job. It doesn't really make sense to me as to why they would let Sutter go if it wasn't the case.

Regardless, if the choice is to bring in Ward, then you have to surround him with guys that have been there before.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:57 PM
MVW

vCash: 50
Its obvious Ward is a contender. The PR coming from the Flames management has been pumping this guy up every chance they get. I think it is warranted, but go on the Flames website and listen to interviews from Feaster and Weisbrod talk about this guy, they absolutely love him. Again, I wouldn't mind it, I like what Ward stands for as a coach and what he does. I think he would be a good fit, I am just pointing out that the Flames management is making a point to talk him up to Flames fans so they can accept the hiring if the move does occur.

Also, I do not want Hartley. I would be pissed if they hire him.

MVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:47 AM
flameaholic
FOREVER a Flame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
You obviously don't know anything about Boucher. Him and his 1-3-1.

Looks like the league's headed back in that direction though (pre-lockout). 7/8 teams remaining are defensive minded.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 02:04 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
You obviously don't know anything about Boucher. Him and his 1-3-1.

Looks like the league's headed back in that direction though (pre-lockout). 7/8 teams remaining are defensive minded.
Boucher wasn't touted as a defensive coach in any of the media during that time anyhow and Bylsma was mentioned so I assumed those conincides as him being a similar coaching style. Defense wins games sure but tbh I'd like to not watch minny hockey for any long period of time.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 05:14 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

I hope so. I don't know anything about Ward, but it would at least indicate a culture change by bringing in a fresh coach instead of recycling another Keenan or Sutter.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Xelstyle

I've seen some opinions that it's better to keep Troy Ward in the AHL to continue having that continued excellence rather than test him in the big league. If we're looking to get the most out of our picks and prospects, this might not be a bad idea in my mind if we can just find somebody else.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Nordberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
I've seen some opinions that it's better to keep Troy Ward in the AHL to continue having that continued excellence rather than test him in the big league. If we're looking to get the most out of our picks and prospects, this might not be a bad idea in my mind if we can just find somebody else.
I've thought about this too, and whilst it would be nice to have him on our AHL team with our prospects, it's possible that another NHL team picks him up and we miss the opportunity if he turns out to be a great NHL coach. So, this might be our one chance to get him behind the Flames bench.

Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Ashasx

If Troy Ward is not given the head coaching job this off-season, likely he never will, as he will be given offers from other teams.

He's too good to lose, and I don't want to lose him.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote